How to Find the Perfect Niche for You

What’s a niche anyway?

Your niche is essentially your expertise and/or the type of information you provide your audience in your articles. It can be broad or narrow and it can be based on your interests or your products/services.

If you are just starting out in article writing or simply wish to realign yourself as an Expert Author, we have some simple questions to help guide you in finding/refining the perfect niche for you.

Grab a pen and paper and let’s get to it!

1. What is your expertise and/or what are you passionate about?

Identify the root of your passions and/or expertise. This can be as simple as your career, your hobbies, etc. In columns, write down your roots and then find those that most interest you.

2. What areas are you the most knowledgeable in?

Think about topics in which you have a wealth of knowledge. Write these topics in the corresponding column from question #1. These are the areas that will make great article writing topics because it’s difficult to leverage yourself as an expert if you are not knowledgeable or have no real experience in the niche you are writing about.

3. What is your ultimate goal for article writing?

If you are like most Expert Authors, you have chosen article writing for results. These results may include building your credibility, boosting your visibility or exposure to the online community, and ultimately increasing traffic to your website or blog. With that in mind, what product or services, blogs or websites do you have that are relevant to your passions and your expertise? List these next to the corresponding answers you listed in question #2. You can use this information in your Resource Box or Author Signature, as well as your Expert Author Profile!

4. Write and Publish!

If you have answered questions 1-3, congratulations: You just identified your primary niches and brainstormed your next set of quality articles! Consider your responses in questions 1-3. Package each of your answers in your own informative, unique article while infusing your personal experience and insights. Then provide a highly relevant website or blog link in your Resource Box to build your exposure. Remember: Your readers rely on you for unique and valuable information. Be sure to capture and maintain their attention with quality reader-oriented information in the article and then promote yourself in your Resource Box.

5. Refining and Tweaking Your Niches

Once you have published articles in your chosen niche(s), you can continue to refine your articles until you discover the very precise niche(s) that suit you and your audience. Keep an eye on the Performance of your articles to determine which of the topics and niches are attracting the best response from audiences. This will help you further refine and define your niche.

Who wouldn’t want to build their life around their passions?

Readers are most compelled by passion. Writing what you know (and of course building upon what you know) because you are passionate about your expertise will show in your articles! As you continue discovering and exploring new information every day, new niches will open to you. Revisit the above niche-refining questions from time to time to foster new ideas and growth into new niches.

Terence writes:

Great information, simple and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing the post with us.

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Ebele writes:

Spot on. This is valuable information and usable. Thank you.

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Hi Penny,

Thanks for this reminder. It’s interesting, pondering our areas of expertise and seeing where our passions lie. This is the milk and honey for the psychotherapist’s world, my world.

But, while I am a human relations counselor with a specialty in grief, I also know the healing aspect of laughter and joy which balances the life experience. My point is that I find it personally uplifting to write something comedic now and again. I think that remembering what fills one up keeps not only my writing fresher but keeps me balanced and not burned out.

I would be interested in hearing what you and other writers here feel about my thoughts.

Kind regards,
MJ

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Paul Kemp writes:

Thanks for the framework on which to decide which niche is the right one for me. Unfortunately, I am still struggling with this.

Many of my articles have been published by other ezines, but none get very many views. The issues I am passionate about aren’t compelling, except to a limited audience.

Even though the free information I provide should be of interest to all, perhaps they see Veganism as too high a price to pay for living longer, healthier, and having no need for any temporary diet to help them lose fat. (I have outlived a number of friends who believed that.)

Other interests of mine, such as network marketing, are anathema to most readers, so it is difficult to find many readers when the vast majority of the reading public think they know all they need to know — and they’re not willing to listen to well-founded points of view that are different.

I really would like to help more people enjoy a better quality of life, but it seems I am not presenting my ideas in a way that will compel significant numbers to respond.

Perhaps I need a writing coach.

I do appreciate the service you provide here.

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Paul,
I had a couple of thoughts when I read your post. First, just in case you haven’t tried this yet, you might try marketing your passion for veganism as diet and weight loss, even though what you’re advocating is a way of life. Diet and weight loss are hot topics. The other thing to remember, though, is most of us don’t want to do without our luxuries, like meat. We’re spoiled. If you can get way to convince us that there are ways to enjoy veganism, you might sell us on it more. The other aspect is to convince us how to fill up and not be hungry. And finally, give us/me tips on how to prepare food easily. Preparing veggies takes a lot longer and is a big pain, so that is another roadblock to healthy living and eating. Convenience.
Second, I feel for you. My market is also very small, and there’s already a lot of information available from other sources, but very few people, relatively, who are interested in reading the information. I guess we just need to be patient and keep trying. Have you joined and interactive with Yahoo groups to get your name known? That might also attract some people to your articles, and from there to your business.
Good luck to you! It sounds to me like you have great stuff to share. Keep working on it and I hope you do well!

Paul Kemp writes:

Thanks, Sherilyn, for your helpful reply. Yes, I have approached the vegan diet as a way to lose weight, but I got middling response. Interestingly, those who have heart disease respond very well to the Web pages I have written about the Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn vegan low-fat diet. It seems to take many folks being backed into a corner by a life-threatening medical issue before they get serious enough to change their diet.

There are plenty of recipe books available for those who want to investigate vegan cooking. I see your point, but that is not my forte. I cook by intuition and with whatever I have available.

Yahoo groups I have looked at, but what I found were those already converted. I want to bring more people into healthier eating for their sake and the animals’, too. I will take another look at Yahoo Groups to see what I can learn about my market.

Thanks for the encouragement, Cherilyn. I wish you success with your small niche. Finding a special micro-niche you could appeal to would be what I would try in your situation. EzineArticles is a good platform to reach out and find those far-flung customers with.

Emily writes:

Many people are interested in nutrition. Someday, someone is going to write a month- or year- long series of recipes that supply all the nutrients, like a multivitamin would, with minerals. THAT book would sell.
It would require researching the content of foods cooked in different ways, which is quirky. (Carrots have more active ingredient if microwaved; potatoes if boiled, etc.)

paban writes:

Right! I am following these methods which helped me to get a lot of visitors now!!!

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Emily writes:

The way to make the best use of traffic you DO get is to give the readers you have attracted reason to return: What’s in it for them? What are THEY looking for? – not what you want to promote or sell. If those two are different, call in your SEEBEES and build a bridge.

Also, sell or promote in places the people you want to meet go to: You don’t find engineers in a biker bar. EzineArticles does not have a readership in self-improvement topics, partly because of the way they classify them all in one lump. My hot article, written years ago, is a chicken soup recipe. My niche is Tarot and consciousness, plus some stories.

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Emily –

I’m a bit confused by this statement: “EzineArticles does not have a readership in self-improvement topics, partly because of the way they classify them all in one lump.” We actually have 30 different subcategories under the “Self Improvement” category. But perhaps I’m not understanding what you mean.

– Marc

Emily writes:

You have Tarot under entertainment. That annoys me no end. My interest in Tarot began as a science experiment re Consistent Violators of the Laws of Random Distribution, so it ain’t entertainment any more than most of your spirituality articles. Most of your spirituality articles are specifically on Christian subjects.

My articles on consciousness were kind of homeless. I often had a problem with classification, and those articles did not get the attention they did over at SelfGrowth, which is a lot smaller for articles than Ezines.

It has been more than a year since I submitted anything because it was discouraging to post the articles. You did get rid of what I called ‘The Yellow Box Monster.’

The articles always got an ‘Expert’ designation. I have been a technical court reporter for 25 years, and know how to write, but your policies frustrated me.

Since I was writing for the fun of it, not really knowing anything at all about keywords or the internet back then (still don’t know much) … it just wasn’t fun any more. Then there was a broken link, and you asked me to fix it, and I did not understand how.

Now I spend five hours a day writing my blog and working on some books. One of them is about telephone advice as an entrepreneurial business.

Someday I will dare to post an article here. I’m sure some things have changed. But a serious article about Tarot, or Tarot and Consciousness, posted under ‘Entertainment’ is the pits.

Andy writes:

I’m new so these methods will help..Thank you

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

You said it!

Always dance with who brung ya…

Be true to yourself, be true to your vision. Act, Believe,
Achieve!

~MD

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Hi, Penny.

Great information and some key takeaways in your post.

I know that when I started out blogging about internet marketing/social media/lead-gen strategies, etc. I took more of a “generic, wide-based approach” in targeting my niche but as I honed and developed my IM education I’ve been able to dig deeper into specific topics and focus my content on a much more specific niche.

Just like anything it takes time to develop this skill set and consistently provide your audience with valuable content.

Thanks again for the information.

Comment provided January 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Joy Marino writes:

Great article, clear and concise. This really helps with focus so one doesn’t waste a bunch of time writing articles that lack passion. Thanks!

Comment provided January 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Becca writes:

You’ve done a great job explaining how to find the right niche. It’s a little bit hard to figure out what niche work better. It’s a very time consuming process, so the tips you recommend helps streamline the process. Thanks!

Comment provided January 26, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Richard Breheny writes:

Great article. I have found that I have to plan, plan and do more planning. Jumping in has bitten me too many times. I guess I’m saying do my homework.

Comment provided January 27, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I am reading a great book right now titled: Art and Science of Success. Several of the authors mention that when you focus on a niche that you are passionate about, you won’t easily give up when you have struggles. Everyone that has had success had previous failures first. Just consider Abraham Lincoln and how many times he lost elections before being elected President back in the 1860s.

Comment provided January 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Passion is what brings success. If you are passionate about your niche, you will have the desire to move through difficulties. Ever successful person has had failures in the past.

Comment provided January 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Jon writes:

Hi Penny, thanks for helping new authors like me. This really gonna give a better understanding for new article authors who are grooming with time. Thanks.

Comment provided January 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Doreen Munoz writes:

I liked the article and it had some great tips. It’s so true to tailor your article around your knowledge and passion. I have passion & knowledge for what I write about but even still sometimes I get stuck on an article. Thank you for the great information.

Comment provided February 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

John writes:

Thanks Penny for another bunch of useful tips. I am a regular reader of Blog.EzineArtiles.com and I find your updates very helpful. :P

Comment provided February 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

How2do writes:

Great news story, clear & concise. This helps with focus so doesn’t waste a bunch of time writing articles that lack passion.You’ve completed a great job explaining how to find the right niche. It is a small bit hard to figure out what niche work better. It is a time consuming process, so the tips you recommend helps streamline the process. This going to give a better understanding for new news story authors who are grooming with time.

Comment provided May 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM

A fantastic blog to read as an article writer. It’s just simply and direct to the point. How to research your article and write something relevant for publication.

Comment provided April 12, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Jimmy Yee writes:

There can be no perfect niche as the landscape environment is always changing. You must either adapt, retool, adjust to the changing technology to survive. “Where you are today ain’t gonna get you where you want to go tomorrow.” Albert Einstein

Comment provided July 5, 2017 at 4:13 PM