Expert Author Showcase: Gini Graham Scott

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Gini Graham Scott in Today’s Author Showcase

With over 50 books published by major publishing companies and an additional 24 books published by her own publishing company, it is clear you may learn a thing or two from Expert Author Gini Graham Scott.

For over 30 years, Gini has written articles for newspapers and magazines ranging from client requests to helping clients explore fields such as writing books, publishing, screenplay writing, and more. Prolific on a variety of subjects, Gini repurposes her quality and original articles by compiling them into books and vice versa (from her books to articles) to reach new audiences.

With years of experience under her belt, Gini has found solutions to ensure her writing time is time well spent. Having learned to channel her focus through a visualization method, Gini soon found her own unique technique to combat procrastination, writer’s block, and more. “[When] I first started writing over 30 years ago, I would imagine energy coming up from the earth and down from the sky and swirling around in my body, and then pouring out through my hands,” she said. “Then, I would go to my typewriter… and would write. After a while, I didn’t need to use any kind of visualization; I would just go to the typewriter and write.”

An Article Writing Master’s Strategies

• Time Management: “[Block] out the time for writing an article, chapters for a manuscript, query letters, script, or other materials, and sit down and start writing.”

• Get Organized: When you become more practiced in organizing your writing efforts, you will be able to mentality outline. For new article writers, get organized by writing an outline of topics and then write.

• Write First, Then Edit: Divide your writing into an “initial writing” stage and then an “edit and polish” stage. “I divided the process into the initial writing, which is largely a creative process of writing whatever comes to mind, and then I go back and do a edit and polish.”

• Find Focus: Find a distraction-free zone. For Gini, this is writing on her computer in a quiet room of her house.

Gini’s Advice For New Expert Authors

One mistake many new writers make is focusing on the end result (e.g. traffic, conversions, money, etc.) that they lose sight of quality. They also lose sight on how quality articles can be repurposed to amplify their efforts.

Gini recommends “[rather] than thinking of making money from your articles… look at how you can use your articles to build a platform so you can sell books, do workshops and seminars, obtain speaking engagements… Also, consider turning your articles into videos…” All of these platforms extend the life of your work and contribute to building your credibility, which in turn will amplify your results.

Discover how you strengthen your article writing efforts by using Gini’s strategies to build and extend the life of your library of quality articles. Doing so will not only drive traffic to your blog or website, but it will increase your credibility too!

Do you have a question or comment for Gini? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

Wanina Petlock writes:

You are an inspiration. Thank you Gini. You are absolutely right, sometimes I focus on the end result too much. Thank you Gini.

Comment provided January 19, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Wolfgang writes:

I think we can all learn a lot from Gini, she obviously has a talent that I would love to have.

her advice on editing is good, if you try to edit as you go along you tend to loose the thought line that you had.

Comment provided January 19, 2012 at 3:06 PM

For me, the important thing about this article is the fact that it’s showcasing yet another inspirational writer who’s unafraid to share her learning.

It’s possible to get too hung-up on grammar at the expense of receiving content. (yes, possibly that’s heresy!)

I loved Gini’s suggestion for repurposing her articles to books and vice versa.

Comment provided January 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Carl writes:

Gini you said “look at how you can use your articles to build a platform so you can sell books, do workshops and seminars, obtain speaking engagements…”

I love this idea and really have never thought of this as an idea – we hear so much about using article writing to increase traffic which in turn is a hopeful to make us money, but to focus on using this information to sell books, do workshops etc etc – now that is an idea which is more motivating!

Thanks for sharing you are awesome.

Comment provided January 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Martha C. Shively writes:

These strategies are something I never considered before. I’m just getting started in writing for publication and have written only 1 article at this point. So I will definantly use these strategies as I begin to write more.

I usually write stories for children and poetry as inspiration happens for me to write one, but I know that my stories cannot be turned into articles.

My question, however, is how do I find my article niche?

Comment provided January 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Martha,

Gini may have some ideas, but I thought I’d jump in on this one as well.

Typically, finding your niche or niches is all about your passion and/or expertise. Take a look at what you’re really passionate about or think about topics in which you have a wealth of knowledge. These are the areas that will make great article writing niches.

Once you start writing in your chosen niche(s), work to refine your articles to a finer and finer point until you discover the very precise niches that suit you and your audience best. Also, keep an eye on the performance of your articles to determine which topics are “hot” and which ones only generate a lukewarm response. This will help you further refine and define your niche. Eventually, you should find one or more narrow niches that are your “specialty” and perform well for you.

– Marc

rich urso writes:

Hi, Gini
Great advice, I do have a question on writing I’m below knee amputee and love to golf would like to start writing on that area. Ex. golfing with an amputation, care and use, having trouble getting started.Any advice will greatly apperciated.
Sincerly,
Rich Urso

Comment provided January 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Giri,

I really appreciate your suggestion to repurpose the articles and to not focus on making money but rather to build a platform.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided January 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Jon writes:

Hey Gini quite good achievement. Thanks for your advices. You rocks Gini, i will implement your advices into my forthcoming articles. Cheers!

Comment provided January 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM

John writes:

Hey Gini good achievement in such a short time. Your Master’s Strategies for an article writer are awesome. Cheers!

Comment provided February 2, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Albert writes:

Hey Gini, I appreciate your hard work as well as smart work :P. Hope this will help me to improve my article quality.

Comment provided February 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Dave writes:

Great advice about not focusing on the end result. This is easier said than done. But I think the desired end result naturally comes when we have the right motives to begin with. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment provided February 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM