2 Minute Approval Tips: #20 Reaching the Word Count

Episode 20 of the “2 Minute Approval Tips” Video Series

Ready for an incredible writing session, you zero-in on your computer screen to give it all you’ve got. After typing away energetically (and maybe a little manically), your energy plummets with this message:

There is a minimum word count for the Article Body, 400 words.

You glance at your word count: “Only 350 words?!”

What do you do? Tack on an extra 50 words or fluff up a few sentences to squeeze by the minimum word count?

Neither.

Watch this video to discover how you can reach the minimum word count the right way to increase your credibility.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

A Quick Recap of the 20th “2 Minute Approval Tip”

• Idea Generation: Make a list by brainstorming key points you want to share with your readers before you begin writing your article.

• Adjust Your Focus: Think about how broad or narrow the subject is you’re writing about. Adjust your “lens” or focus by deciding what to include and what to leave out to create the perfect article.

• Know Your Stuff: Write in niches where your expertise truly flourishes and don’t shy away from sharing your personal experiences! Readers want to hear real stories about how the subject matter of your article has affected you and why it works.

• Bonus Tip: Add another relevant tip for your readers to think about. Offer your readers multiple options rather than just one because you never know which of your recommendations will impact them the most.

Avoid the fluff in your next quality, original article and reach the minimum word count the right way. Doing so will increase your credibility and build your readership.

For more quick tips to avoid common roadblocks and achieve painless article approvals on the very first submission, check out the 2 Minute Approval Tips category of our Video Archive.

Ray Brandl writes:

Great tips and yes I too often add fluff to the bottom of my articles.
Nice suggestion about providing additional tips that are helpful and informative that’s supporting the main points of the article written.

Comment provided January 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Helen Renold writes:

Why does the video stop playing half way through? There is something faulty here. I’ve tried playing it on Safari and Firefox, logged out and logged in… still the same result. It just stops in the middle!

Any solutions so that we can listen through the whole presentation since I’m really interested. Yes, the quick recap helps but still downer when the video player is faulty.

Comment provided January 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Helen –

Sorry to hear you’re having problems viewing the video. Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce the error on our end, so it’s going to be hard to diagnose what’s happening for you. What I would suggest is that you download a downloadable version by clicking on one of the icons located below the video. This should allow you to view the video from start to finish.

I hope this helps! :-)

– Marc

Vijay Khosla writes:

Wonderful and educative. Especially the idea of adding another point in the article body to meet the word count of 400 words is a good one.

Taken a note of the same.

Thanks.

Comment provided January 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I am a beginner in article writing but I find the video tips very, very helpful and I am very happy about it. It’s valuable and it’s FREE..Thank you EzineArticles

Comment provided January 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM

One thing I’ve noted is that I use Microsoft Word and have set the program to run the word count in the very bottom of the left hand corner. When I am nearing the word count, I’ll try to finish what I have to say and conclude, save any additional thoughts for a second article, however sometimes I will forget that my title is 14 words, thus end a few words too soon, and tack on an additional sentence or two. I think we’ve all done this. Just the other day, I didn’t notice until after I had posted the article and was ready to hit submit. Quick think of something else to say!

Yes, I’d say everyone who writes a good many articles has unintentionally been here too. So, I am glad to have these tips, thank you, they should help anyone at any level of article writing do it better and do it write.

Comment provided January 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM

paban writes:

This video lesson will definitely help all the new article writers in their success!

Comment provided January 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Maria Caniedo writes:

thanks a lot for the encouragement the video help me to continue in this passon

Comment provided January 24, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Jon writes:

I like your 2 minute tips and i never miss video of it. Your tip regarding “Idea Generation” is quite worthy. A good idea can lead you to the success, so getting new and worthy idea improves our writing. Thanks.

Comment provided January 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

StevenH writes:

It’s these little tips that make the difference. I’ve been doing this for years and never fail to learn something new every day.

Comment provided February 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Valerie Smith writes:

Thank you for the great lesson in this video. I recently wrote an article and have been holding back on submitting it for fear that including my real life experience may not be appropriate. I’m confident now that it is appropriate.

I will certainly be taking time in the future to read all emails received from EzineArticles as the content is sure to save me time that I so often lose through procrastinating.

Comment provided February 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Albert writes:

Thanks Penny for the another 2 minute approval tip. Very useful.

Comment provided February 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM

John writes:

Thanks Penny, all the four tips:
1. Idea Generation
2. Adjust Your Focus
3. Know Your Stuff
4. Bonus Tip

Are fruitful and the one follows all these would become diamond author in very less time. As an individual I find all these very useful and would implement on my further articles.

Comment provided February 13, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Maxwell Ivey writes:

Hello; as a visually impaired writer, I appreciate that you offer an audio download. It makes the process of learning from the experts much smoother. And this leads me to one of my favorite techniques. I have the screen reader read me my article so i hear it out loud. I strongly suggest that you read your own articles. Yes, you will have to fight the natural urge to be to critical, but you will be better at sifting out the fluff. Good luck, max

Comment provided March 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Linda writes:

If you have done your research for the post well enough the problem shouldn’t be avoiding fluff, but deciding how many posts you are actually going to produce from the information!

Comment provided March 30, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Exactly, I’m with Linda on this one, well said!

Linda writes:

Thank you, sir!

I’m told that great minds think alike……

Yass writes:

Hi,
Great tips ..
Thank you for this share !

Comment provided August 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM

It is an interesting video. I usually don’t have a problem with minimum number as I tend to write long proses anyway. I liked the idea of adding one extra tip to meet the word count.

Comment provided September 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM