Expert Author Showcase: Carla McNeil

Meet EzineArticles’ Expert Author Carla McNeil in Today’s Author Showcase

Experts have SO much to do! It can be tough balancing all of the items on your to-do list, clearing your head, and focusing on article writing. That’s why Expert Author Carla McNeil’s approach, while simple, is incredibly successful.

A writing session in Carla’s day begins with a morning walk with her dogs to help her “get out of her head” and focus. Afterward, she will sit in her easy chair with her laptop and write for a solid 15 minutes. “I am not allowed to do anything else,” Carla stated. “If I am not writing, I am doing nothing. No email, Facebook, Twitter, etc. – Nothing! There has been an occasion or two where I have sat for a couple of minutes, but usually sooner than later I start writing.”

As a Social Media Expert, whose experience has also provided incredible insight into stress management, motivation, and time management, Carla stated, “I realize what a valuable tool article marketing is in the overall scheme of my business. Not only does it keep me learning, but [it] continues to be a great source for people who are interested in learning about social media or having it managed for them.”

When Carla first started out in article writing, she began writing based on her own experience to solve her own questions and challenges. “I figured other people were probably having the same challenges,” she commented. “[I] thought if my articles could reduce that stress just a little bit, it would be nice.” Currently, Carla’s inspiration for her articles comes from questions submitted by people on social media sites and staying up-to-date with the latest social media trends.

Admitting if she had to do it all over again, Carla remarked she would have strived to get more articles out to her readers more quickly. Why? “Nothing beats getting the feedback that my article helped someone solve a problem,” Carla replied.

5 Tips For Expert Authors

1. Stay the Course: It’s easy to get distracted, lay down excuses, and more, but the ultimate key to your article writing success: “Perseverance and commitment… Just keep writing,” Carla said.

2. Schedule: Sticking to a schedule of writing for at least 15 minutes each morning may seem like a chore, but cultivating a routine and eliminating distractions can turn even just 15 minutes into a powerful writing session.

3. Apply Pressure: Step into success by focusing on the results. Don’t allow yourself to hide behind relationships, responsibilities, and excuses. Apply pressure to learn and grow!

4. Brainstorm Titles: Create an on-going list of titles to have on hand. These can grow from ideas you develop from reading blogs, articles, books, and more!

5. Repurpose Articles: Extend the life of your articles by repurposing them into ebooks, programs, videos, and more. “My biggest challenge was realizing that all of the articles I have written can be combined together into ebooks or programs,” Carla stated. “And voila I have a product!”

Develop a long-lasting relationship with your readers to increase your credibility and exposure to your website or blog by using Carla’s strategies in your next set of articles. Remember: You are not alone! Your challenges and your inspiration may be your reader’s too. All you need to do is stay the course and continue to challenge yourself to persevere.

Do you have a question or comment for Carla? Feel free to leave it in the comments section below.

I apreciate your insight, especially about not letting the pressures get in the way of our time commitment.
So often I find myself with writers block and I find that unless I push through it and ignore the other noise around it can last for days.
I need to challenge myself more.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Hi Kevin,

It was definitely challenging in the beginning. Now it is a habit. Well worth the effort it took to get here.

Carla,
I love your suggestion to sit with your computer and not do anything else for 15 minutes. That is hard for me. I am so often tempted to check my emails, find out what’s going on in Facebook and other social media sites. That discipline is really valuable – for a brief period of time each day.

Warmly,

Dr. Erica

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Thanks Dr Erica!

It was definitely hard for me in the beginning too. Now sometimes that 15 minutes turns in to 1/2 hour!

I find I am nicer to myself during the day when I get my article writing done first thing.

Wolfgang writes:

I admire you Carla, At least you get stuck in for 15 minutes a day, you do have the discipline required, I find that my article writing comes in fits and starts as I get the inspiration, which I haven’t had for awhile.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Hey Wolfgang,

test it out for just one day. It doesn’t have to be every single day, start by saying to yourself “I am only going to do this today”.

See what happens from there.

I know that I got addicted to getting the articles done rather than NOT. :-)

Then low and behold I started to think in Article Titles. Now that is cool!

Larry Nabiong writes:

Great advice from a great person. I really appreciate the way you share wisdom when it comes to article writing. Yes, lots of writers are having problems with discipline. Say taking challenges, self or otherwise, needs religious effort to finish them on time, with ease and quality. Of course, am not separating myself from them. Am also guilty of this one, but trying to improve my attitude and my writing as well.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Carla McNeil writes:

Larry, thanks so much for your kind words.

We can all improve our writing skills and aspire to even better than we already are. :-)

Keep up the good work.

greg prince writes:

Thanks Carla!
I like the idea of brainstorming for titles so you never run out of topics to write about. It certainly helps reduce writer’s block.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Carla McNeil writes:

Greg, a great tool you can use to inspire even more article titles is Google Alerts!

Have Fun!!

Mobarock writes:

Hi Carla
I’m happy for your idea of brainstorming for titles so you never run of topics to rite about.
Thanks for you.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Mobarock writes:

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Hi Carla,

I like your tip about applying pressure to yourself. Your statement “How we grow is our choice” and comparing it to the parable of planting seeds is so significant in all aspects of our lives (spiritually, physically, emotionally and mentally). Thanks for sharing this with us! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

From Behind the Pen,
Kym

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Albert writes:

Good achievement Carla. It’s always been a great deal to get suggestion from successful people. You are a diamond level author so your tips are price-worthy. I will work on these tips.
Thanks.

Comment provided December 22, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Carla McNeil writes:

Thanks Albert! Let me know how you’re doing. I love to hear the success stories of others.

If I can be of assistance just shoot me an email.

Al writes:

Is a review of a book or web site (that contains information on a specific topic) an acceptable Ezine Article?

I am a little confused with: http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/guideline/1h

And some other things I’ve read on the EzineArticles.com web site.

According to your article above a person can take several EzineArticles and combine them into an ebook, etc. Which I assume includes combining them into a web site, or a blog on a web site. Is that right?

Comment provided December 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Al –

Yes, an unbiased review of a book or website can make a great article, and this is not considered derivative content. You may want to reread that guideline to better understand the meaning of derivative content. Writing a review-style article is perfectly acceptable provided you treat the subject in an unbiased fashion and have no direct connection with the website or book being reviewed. You’ll want to check out this blog post for more information.

And you are correct, you can indeed take articles that you own the exclusive rights to and combine them into an ebook, website or blog. The one key stipulation is that you must have exclusive rights to that content.

– Marc

Ramaswamy Sundaram writes:

Yes mam..its a good advice to stick to writing every morning for 15 minutes. I follow the same method but only after satisfying the urge to see my mail box – at least to know whats up if not replying. Otherwise the nagging mind will be disturbing you when writing. Thanks again for your tips!

Comment provided December 23, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Carla McNeil writes:

Good for you Ramaswamy, if I open my email first I don’t get my article writing done.

Glad to hear you have the discipline to get back to your writing after the email has been opened.

Jeff Herring writes:

CARLA!

Congratulations you! You have done so well and offer so many great tips in your interview – I am so proud of YOU!

I remember when you saved submitting your 200th article to EzineArticles until you came to the workshop I was doing – that was a fun moment…

Folks here’s a link to the video of Carla and I hitting the submit button together => http://youtu.be/YGTWnIxVtYo

Congratulations again Carla!

~ Jeff Herring

Comment provided December 23, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Carla McNeil writes:

Thanks so much Jeff. I am very glad I discovered you on Twitter! I believe that was a turning point for me, when I found out you really could find great information on Twitter. Plus I spent money with you, so that proved to me it could be done. :-)

I loved meeting you in Atlanta for the first time and publishing the article together. That was a super fun video for me to make!

thanks so much for your support and knowledge!

John writes:

Good achievement, your achievement inspires me and encourage me to become an author like you. Keep up the good work.
Cheers!

Comment provided December 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Carla McNeil writes:

John, looking forward to reading LOTS of your articles!

Thanks John!

Comment provided December 27, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Igshaan Soules writes:

Congratulations Carla!

Before finding Jeff through Mark Hendricks, article marketing was just a pipe dream – my first attempt at it failed because of the number of revisions I had to make. So I gave up.

I recently got onto Jeff list and his templates, webinars, etc. I consumed his easily digestible information at the beach before Christmas and four days ago submitted 1 article, and another a day later.

Yesterday morning, I received the wonderful news both articles were accepted.

Jeff, you rock! Anyone not using your templates to create content is simply finding another excuse not to get into action.

So Carla, I look forward to the day I can create a bit of an event like you to celebrate my 200th article.

Igshaan

Comment provided December 30, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Igshaan –

Congratulations on your first article approval! I’m pleased to hear you stuck it out until you found a method that worked for you. If you’re looking for more article templates, you may want to check out our Article Templates Deck of Cards or our Article Templates PDF. Both will provide you with 52 new article templates.

– Marc

Jeff Herring writes:

Igshaan!

Congratulations and thank you! I look forward to pressing that submit button together someday soon…

~ Jeff

Maritza writes:

Go Carla go!! Awesome writeup about your articles – You rock!

Igshaan,

I have to share my Jeff Herring articles story with you… I had heard about article marketing and I tried it. I submitted several articles and they were all rejected… :( I took one of Jeff’s classes and when i followed his instruction & templates, my articles were accepted!

Since then, I’ve benefitted a lot from article marketing and I’ve become a syndicated columnist with the McClatchy-Tribune service. This stuff works!

Caroline writes:

Hi Carla

Thanks for a timely reminder, I used to follow this tip by saying I’ll just write for 5 minutes, nearly always that would turn into a full session and productive work done.
It is often hard to get started but then the ideas flow.
Caroline

Comment provided December 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Carla McNeil writes:

LOL Caroline!! I know just what you mean.

I have had my 15 minutes turn into an hour often!

Keep those ideas flowing.

Igshaan Soules writes:

Maritza, thanks. Yes, it absolutely works. Funny thing is I have used some very reputable writing and internet marketing experts’ products. However there is something unique about the way Jeff presents the information that makes creating the articles fun and exciting.

Comment provided December 31, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

Igshaan – so glad it’s working for you!

Listen, shoot me your best email address at thejeffherring@gmail.com – got something I want to send you…

~ Jeff

Igshaan Soules writes:

Just sent you my best email address. Thanks – a late Christmas Prezzie? ;-)

Carla McNeil writes:

Igshaan, welcome to the family!

Ya it sure does work. Make sure you take Jeff up on his offer, I’m sure it will be something good!

tks

~ Carla

Don Tietz writes:

Over 200 articles that’s amazing and so much information. You have great insight.
Congratulation and thanks!

Comment provided December 31, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Jon writes:

Good achievement Carla and nice shared by you. Your tips are quite worthy and will surely help me to improve my content quality.
Cheers!

Comment provided January 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Jon!

Yes great content is the cornerstone to attraction marketing!

Looking forward to reading your great content!

tks

~ Carla

Lisa Saline writes:

Great ideas Carla. I remember the celebration we had when you published your first article. You’ve outlasted many of the people in that room with your diligence and consistency. Congratulations.

Comment provided January 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Carla McNeil writes:

Thanks so much Lisa! Words that make me purr, especially coming from you.

thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

Vilma writes:

HEY… Happy Happy New Year Carla!!
Beautiful job…Congrats.
I’m convinced, you are one of the SMARTEST women I know!
I’m choosing to learn more this year about all things-social media. Just a few minutes ago someone on linkd-in went to my website and said I should “hastag twitter for SEO on the link on fb” Say whaaaat?
It’s no accident I just saw your email today, ha!
Butterfly…you betcha!
Take care in 2012!
Vilma

Comment provided January 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Thanks Vilma! Blush Blush

In answer to your question if you use the hashtag on Twitter “#FB” it will automatically post over on your Facebook profile. I’ll make you a little video :-)

Comment provided January 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Don Tietz writes:

Congratulations Carla, It’s about time you got the recognition you deserve.

Comment provided January 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM