Evergreen Articles Thrive

Write Evergreen Content to Build Your Article Library

Time-sensitive articles are like deciduous trees: the trees may appear full and healthy, but with the approach of winter, the leaves begin to fall. Time-sensitive articles may attract traffic in their prime, but they will inevitably lose their “leaves” as their relevance becomes obsolete.

Evergreen trees remain robust and require less maintenance throughout the year. They endure, attract, and thrive! Similarly, evergreen articles are full of relevant information, withstand the tests of time, and continue working for you by driving traffic to your site.

Benefits to Evergreen Articles:

• Low-Maintenance: Evergreen articles do not require constant updating or submitting new relevant content to replace time-sensitive articles. Rather than replacing out-dated content, if you add evergreen articles to your article library, you will build the volume of articles working for you.
  • Syndication: Ezine publishers want your high-quality, evergreen content. Publishers are not able to update or change your content, so if it is out-of-date or irrelevant, they will not pick up your articles.
  • Future Use: If you have a light social media day, you can refer back to evergreen articles in a tweet, etc.

Tips to Keep in Mind When Writing Evergreen Articles

Add longevity to the relevance of the article.

Keep your articles working for years to come by not including dates or time-sensitive material. After you write your next article, read it again and imagine it’s one year later. Rewrite anything that would be outdated. For example:

• Not Evergreen: Clever Homemade Halloween Costumes For 2011
  • Evergreen: Clever Homemade Halloween Costumes

Exceptions may include: Many products, movie remakes, etc. utilize a date to differentiate itself from another product. For example, mentions of the movie The Karate Kid will leave readers wondering if the article will discuss the 1984 or the 2010 version. Articles discussing products that are continually being updated may use a year as well, (e.g. Microsoft Office 2007 vs. Microsoft Office 2010).

Consider your angle.

You can still use examples of current trends or news, as long as your ultimate goal or subject is evergreen. For instance, if a topic discusses a major event or change, instead of using language like “recently,” “last week” or “today,” in the article, try using language that would be effective months or years from now.

• Not Evergreen: A little over two weeks ago, Dan Shechtman was awarded the 2011 Noble Prize in Chemistry for his remarkable mosaic of atoms.
  • Evergreen: Dan Shechtman was awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his remarkable mosaic of atoms.

Tuning Up Your Article Library

Take inventory of your under performing articles.

Consider the content: Is it still relevant? If it’s not, rather than modifying the existing article, write a new article with your new information or perspective to have a long-lasting impact. That way, the old one is still available in case it was syndicated and the new article will rise to the top with its relevant content.

Warning: Be careful! Steer clear of writing rehashed or derivative content. To stay evergreen, your content must be fresh and 100% unique.

Evergreen Extends to Your Links Too.

If you decided to change your website strategies for any self-serving links (i.e. links you have a vested interest in), ensure the articles that may include those links are still active, relevant and provide a good user experience. If you kill a link, you may risk losing credibility.

Increase Your Article’s VALUE

No matter the niche, there is highly relevant, evergreen content that withstands the tests of time. While it may be true that all articles someday will lose their relevance (not many people are looking up articles on whether we should reinvent the wheel from stone to wood anymore), don’t kill an article long before the topic loses its relevance with readers.

Writing evergreen content increases your return on investment because it continues to work for you, your readers, your publishers, and the world at large. So what are you waiting for? Start building your article library with evergreen articles today!

What’s your angle when writing evergreen content? Share it with the EzineArticles community in the comments section below!

Stacie Walker writes:

Thank you for writing this interesting post about creating a library of articles that will last for years to come. It really makes sense to not include time sensitive words in an article because it is a waste of time to have to go back and make revisions.

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Thanks for the refreshing ideas on achieving evergreen content and it importance…

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Karen writes:

It is also a good idea to hide the date that shows when the article was written so that whoever read your article, say a year later, would not know when your article was written.

Comment provided October 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Esllanguage writes:

Thank you very much for your informative article . It really makes sense to not include time sensitive words in an article because it is a waste of time to have to go back and make revisions.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Hampers writes:

I agree that having relevant articles that stand the test of time will result in long standing links that will be reviewed and used many times over the years. This also helps with authenticity and being seen as a genuine contributor.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Relevant articles with evergreen content will surely stand the test of time when you will find out that you are still getting traffic for articles written months or years ago.

It can also be used in sometimes, with certain success on gadget products by not mentioning the model number.

On another note I would like to point out that I agree with Karen (Reply 3) that in my opinion the suggestion she gave is great in helping the articles remain evergreen.
Maybe the required staff at EzineArticles might take her suggestion into consideration, unless there is something I am not aware about, which requires the article publication date to be shown.

Thanks for your great service at EzineArticles for keeping high quality articles a priority, while also updating your precious subscribers on a continuous article marketing education.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Jeannette writes:

Hi everyone,
I’ve been procrastinating for a few months about writing articles, the reason behind it is that I am Not a professional writer, I’ve worked in Health care for the most part of my life. I recently ventured into the internet marketing world and found out that an order to succeed writing articles is an absolute Must. I will take the plunge with my first evergreen article.

Stay blessed you all.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Hi Jeannette, from the short post here, you English writing skills seem great.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that you do NOT need to be a professional writer. If you are good in any subject (can also be read as niche – in your market) just share your point of view and expertise.

As long as you share good quality information you are genuinely contributing in your particular field, which helps people who are seeking that information.

Just a note:
If you are venturing into Internet Marketing please DO NOT end up like some marketers desperate to make money in all kind of shady ways, including spamming other people’s blogs and forums.

Keep ethical discipline as you forefront content and you should build a loyal following while also contributing to the IM community.

Before I forget:
Procrastination is the number one failure because you never start.
My honest advice is to forget about it and move on. Learn from your genuine mistakes, so you do not repeat the same mistakes twice.

Other than that all I can say is:
“People who never fail are the ones who never try something out.”

Good luck with your articles. Hoping to find some of your interesting articles in the very near future!
Come on, you know you can.

Phillip Blount, Sr writes:

Thanks for this information, I never thought about writing articles that will stand the test of time, I always write articles that will make an impact right now. I’ll keep the Evergreen theory in mind when writing articles from now on so I can make an impact now and in the future, thanks again.

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Thank you for this information it is so valuable and has got me thinking….. I really need to continue on this road. I love EzineArticles but still procastinate too much.

Will get back on track but with in a different light now. Thanks also for the comments from everyone here they are a great help.

Gaynor

Comment provided November 1, 2011 at 6:00 AM

Adamu Alexander writes:

Thanks for that quality information…I love to know few area in the ever green articles

Comment provided November 16, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Mike writes:

Good tips, I learned the hard way as I definitely dated a couple of articles (and I don’t write that many to begin with) but then realized that’s a no-no. This article expands on that.

Comment provided November 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Don Standeford writes:

Thanks for the clarification. I published an article to EzineArticles.com that was rejected just because I put time sensitive material in the title. Nice to know why I made the mistake so I won’t make it again.

Comment provided March 26, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Gracious Store writes:

Thank you for this article. Evergreen article as you explained makes very good sense.

Comment provided February 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Great guidance article for someone who is looking to start creating content themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided January 10, 2017 at 3:23 AM