Identifying the Needs of Your Audience

5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Write Your Article

“If you give an audience a chance they will do half your acting for you.” – Katharine Hepburn

Katharine Hepburn, the great American actress, knew a thing or two about utilizing an audience.

When you set out to write an article, it is important to know how to use your audience. This will help you create something that is in demand and that is well received. When your audience feels their needs are being met by your articles, they will consider you a reliable authority and keep coming back for more!

Watch this video to learn how to ask yourself the right questions about your audience to jumpstart your article writing process!

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Five Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself:

1. Who is my audience for this article?

It is important to know who you are writing for. This will help you develop an appropriate tone and style for your article. It will also help you present the information you want to present in the most effective way. For example, using jargon or complicated concepts in an article would not be appropriate for a reader who is new to the niche.

2. Why am I writing this article?

Are you writing to introduce people to your niche? Are you writing to raise awareness for an issue? Are you writing to inform someone who is already an expert of a new product or technique you discovered? Each of these scenarios would require a different article.

3. What information does my audience crave?

Knowing what your audience wants to learn is a very important piece of information to have. This ensures you are delivering the type of content that is in demand.

4. Why does my audience need this information?

This ties into the previous questions: if someone reading your article wants to learn everything there is to know about golf because they want to become an instructor, they would want a vastly different article than someone who is just looking for a few beginner tips to improve their weekend game.

5. How can I deliver even more to my audience?

Making sure your links are optimized to deliver the best content is very important. If you are sending readers to your link for more information, make sure it’s easy to find and plentiful. This will build trust and keep your readers coming back to you again and again.

Channel your audience with these questions and let them help you in your future article writing!

Amy Hagerup writes:

Great article. I’m always looking to improve my articles and address what my audience is after. Loved the points.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for these helpful tips. I’m always looking for ways to learn my audience and to speak to those who are eager to listen,.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Elena writes:

She was a great actress, Katherine Hepburn. What can you expect from a pro. Well, I guess eventualy, I will get the message from all these hints relating to article writing. There are so many good suggestions from article pros as well.
I liked your tip about identifying the needs of your audience. I never thought of that!. By the way, the videos are getting better.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

This article is like Vince Lombardi was to the Green Bay Packers and football. How often we forget the basics and need someone to say… “THIS IS A FOOTBALL”

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Dick Rauscher writes:

Thanks for these great tips…especially by video. I am always struggling to find new material and this will help me. Do you have suggestions as to how to get your audience to tell you what they want?

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Emerson writes:

It is very helpful tips not only for me but for all newly article writers & publisher of ezine. Sometimes we don’t know exactly what were sending just to share our helpful tips to the reader. We really have to know exactly the message we share and how will affect to ourselves as well as to others.

Thanks!

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Joseph Dabon writes:

The article is well-written. But I have problems with its practicality.

Except for #5 all the rest are outside the realm of the writer and if he/she tries to get the answers of these, chances are no article is ever going to be written.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Wolfgang writes:

It’s not always easy to know exactly who your audience is, but if you put the article into the best category it will help you to at least target the audience that you would like it to be.

Comment provided September 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Joseph Dabon writes:

But what is the “best” category? This is too relative and very difficult to comprehend for newbies.

dvlokken writes:

Great advise, I find it hard to write article’s. I know what I want to say and write it down and it does not look as good on paper then in my mind. Thank you for the advise. I will have to try and put your advise into work.

Comment provided September 18, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Philip writes:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 11:34 PM

1addesign writes:

I like how you picked 5 important points in writing and kept it simple for us all to remember. thanks.

Comment provided October 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Gaynor writes:

Thank you so much. There is so much I want to share with my visitors and this will help me to do much more from now on!

Gaynor

Comment provided October 13, 2011 at 6:43 AM

David writes:

These teaching how to videos-in, my opinions are really a blessing because they really help me get started. I really like the “HOW TO VIDEOS!” Excellent work in helping all of us…

Comment provided November 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM