Creating a Healthy Article Writing Environment

Want to get your article writing organized, but don’t know where to begin?

Your article writing environment can help or hamper your productivity. A cramped and cluttered article writing space leaves little room for idea growth and adds to procrastination. A public space may be distracting and a bare space can be uninspiring!

Toss out the stress of writer’s block and distraction by making your workspace fun and engaging with these great workspace tips!

Necessities for Your Drawer

• Writing Tablets – …or anything to quickly jot down your ideas! Compile ideas in a journal, brainstorm by drawing a mind-map or creating lists, and use color-coded sticky notes for title ideas! This will help pull you away and think “off-the-page” to get your ideas organized.
  • Healthy Snacks – Nothing is more distracting than hunger. Keep a healthy snack stashed away to keep your energy up so you don’t wander from your article writing in search of food.

Pinned to Your Bulletin Board

• Calendar – Plan ahead by jotting down ideas on a calendar. Scheduling helps you visualize and track a plan that may be based on themes, seasonal trends and more.
  • Inspiration – Everyone needs a little element of inspiration to realign their focus. This could include pictures of family, an inspirational quote, or a list of your goals to inspire article ideas!

Books for Your Shelf

• Dictionary and Thesaurus – Whether you stumble across a word you are not quite familiar with or are looking to spice up the language of your article, a dictionary and a thesaurus are excellent reference tools.
  • English Grammar Guide – Can’t remember the proper usage of a comma? A grammar guide can answer all of your grammar questions and help you convey your expertise to readers.

It is important to note that any of the mediums above may be supplemented; a digital counterpart could be used, such as software, apps, etc. or something as simple as the type of folder you use. The key is to experiment and find the tools that work for you!

Getting organized and creating an environment that works for you will increase your productivity, helping you manage your time, plan ahead and foster new ideas!

Do you have a great tip to increase productivity or have any of the above tips worked for you? Share your comments below!

Thanks for this timely article about the basics of inviting good writing habits.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Truman Anderson writes:

Penny,
As always, your articles are both inspiring and educational…I feel very blessed to receive your internet words of wisdom. Continue to march!

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Nahid writes:

Those are all very good tips and totally essential. I would however, mention that the ambiance of your work space is also very important.

I often use scented candles to brighten up a dull day and a vase of freshly cut flowers to bring the garden into the room so you don’t feel as if you are missing out on the outdoors!

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

My additions…

1) Favorite beverage in one of my EzineArticles Mugs…

2) Good motivational music from Pandora.com or elsewhere…

Write On…

~ Jeff

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Wolfgang writes:

Peace and quiet is what I need, no music, no dogs barking, I don’t mind the birds singing or the cocks crowing, but peace and quite is what I need.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Instead of staring at a blank screen or an empty writing tablet, go outside. Use a voice-activated recorder to capture the ideas that pop into your head as you walk, bike, stroll through the park, or enjoy the garden.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Leon Makojed writes:

I like to make sure al those pesky little household chores are out the way before I sit down to write.

That way I reserve the right to have a couple of hours to myself and concentrate just on the writing.

I also like to separate research days from writing days, but have my dictionary and thesaurus handy at all times.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Elena writes:

My article environment encompasses a nice size space, like my diningroom table, where I can just spread everything out, and I make sure that I have all of the tools I need right at my fingertips. I also take advantage of my quiet time to focus on article writing. You are absolutely right about being organized. I feel that this is an important tool to have.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Debbie Hemley writes:

I recently added The Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition, which i highly recommend, to my reference books which is a great addition. This version includes guidelines for citing blogs, podcasts and other electronic sources.

Thanks for your post.

Debbie Hemley

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I’d recommend that you limit the background noise, and distractions especially during the final editing phase – very important.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Sheryl McBride writes:

I have to add the writing pad and pencil by the bed and meditation area are a must. Those middle of the night and during meditation ideas are not always easy to retrieve later.

Comment provided September 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Tom Chapman writes:

The thesaurus comes to my rescue on countless occasions! Never used to use it much in the past but as a tool to expand your vocabulary and make articles read better with less repetition it’s an invaluable tool.

I agree with Lance above, an environment without distraction during the proof-read is a massive help.

Comment provided September 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Karen writes:

For me, I must have my inspirational quotes and my Thesaurus. Soft soothing music relaxes my mind further. Now I’m ready to write.

Comment provided September 20, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Patrick writes:

Thanks for this good and basic article – its very powerfull!

Comment provided September 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM

What a great article. Having a conducive writing space is really important, and clutter is not part of that for me.

Until recently, I would panic every time I went to write an article. That has changed. I invested in having my marketing person create two different annual calendars by subject. This way, I am always prepared to write on a subject, and can gather information as I go along. Meanwhile, I’m always watching the news for a topic that already has “buzz.” I can add my point of view, making it relevant for my readers, and have a timeless article to share.

Comment provided September 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM

shiketa writes:

This was a great post. I thought I was the only writer that had to have snacks near my computer. I also like to light a candle and play soft music. I do need to add another calendar.

Comment provided September 21, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Hans Quistorff writes:

I put some of the templates you provided on my computer desk top as reminders.

Comment provided September 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM

mily ghosh writes:

Jotting down and compiling the ideas before writing have come to my great rescue.

Comment provided September 22, 2011 at 1:58 AM

flash recover writes:

A good article writing requires careful reading, critical thinking, and clear, well-organized writing. Your post helps to understand the things better , thanks for sharing.

Comment provided September 23, 2011 at 12:35 AM

I love the thesaurus in Word and use it constantly. My book thesaurus is gathering dust on the shelf. Still have to pull out the dictionary from time to time.

Thanks for a good article.

Mary Montague Sikes

Comment provided October 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Thanks for all those good ideas. To them, I’d like to add being in touch with nature. I look outside at trees and the sky when I write.
If I couldn’t do that, I’d organise some potted plants in my writing area.
Brightly-coloured stickies are also essential for me to capture my ideas.

Movement is also important: it helps prevent computer and brain paralysis.

Comment provided October 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM