Expert Author Showcase: Kerry Finch

Expert Author Kerry Finch sets herself apart from other Expert Authors by the sheer number of articles she has written.

She estimates that number to be in the thousands, but you wouldn’t be able to tell that by looking at her account as she ghostwrites a large majority of her articles for others.

Kerry divides her time between writing articles and other promotional material for a select group of internet marketers, and doing the same for her business.

She says, “Article writing is at the foundation of any marketing plan that I compile for my own projects and those of my clients. One well-written article can be leveraged in so many ways, primarily though as content for our own sites.”

She continues, “The fact that my clients are mostly internet marketers has given me special insights into their particular requirements. I don’t mass-produce articles, and always ensure that quality research has been done to ensure that they contain worthwhile information that is relevant to my (or my client’s) niche or topic area.”

Mass production and distribution of low quality articles is a practice that has a negative impact on everyone involved in article writing. Kerry hopes that the strategies she shares will help others and keep them from stooping to submitting low quality articles. “It is very important for marketers to understand that when a poor quality article is published online bearing their name, it can be republished over and over – it’s out there forever and a full recall of it almost impossible,” she says.

“Having material that is irrelevant, full of padding and ripe with poor grammar published under their name is not just a poor investment, but harms their credibility and authority as well. There are services for distributing such articles for SEO, but they should not be published to high level sites like EzineArticles.”

These are only some of the tips Kerry shares in her articles. Here are some more quick tips from Kerry:

• Spell Out the Link in Your Resource Box – Write out the link in the Resource Box in full at least once rather than using an anchor text link (e.g. http://www.kerryfinchwriting.com). When articles are reproduced by other web publishers, this guarantees that your website link will be included in the article even if the publisher doesn’t copy the article with EzineArticles’ EzinePublisher feature.

• Explore New Writing Environments – Being a writer for the web has its benefits. Among them is that, with the right equipment, you can write and submit from anywhere with an Internet connection. Or, you can write offline and then submit your work later when you have a reliable Internet connection.

• Leave Out the Padding – Don’t pad your articles with vague, paragraphs just to get to a designated word count.

• Test New Niches – When you are inspired by a topic outside your main niche, write a well-researched article about it. Let your creativity and passion increase your niche variety.

• Don’t Use Your Resource Box to Give Your Life Story – Readers are rarely interested in you initially, but rather in what your article is about. They need to know how to get more information. Provide a call-to-action with a link to more details, and they will leave happy. If they want to know about the writer in detail they can check their profile.

Have a question or comment for Kerry? Feel free to leave it in the Comments section below.

where do you find your clients?

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Kerry Finch writes:

Hello Sreekumar,
These days most of my clients are repeat customers or personal recommendations.

Importantly though I have consistently added content to my own website, which is well optimized for the keywords for my business. So I do receive lots of enquiries via my site contact page.

One of my affiliate marketing strategies is offering a content pack as a bonus to the high-value items. This gives people in a relevant niche good content to support their endeavors, and a potential ongoing client for me.

In the early days I sought work through Elance.com

Hope that helps
Kerry

Rajiv Sighamony writes:

Yes, the link section in the resource box is very important, and many use hyper text links, including me at times. May be next time, I will be more careful after reading this page.

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Alicia Isaacs writes:

Thanks for sharing Kerry. Great tips for immediate usage.

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

I’m glad to help Alicia.

Leon Makojed writes:

Thanks for the great advice Kerry.

It seems that the old mantra, “content is king” might be fading out to “quality reigns supreme.”

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

You’re right Leon, quality and originality.

Dan Young writes:

I agree with Leon.

I can take a meal home created by one of the finest Chef’s on the planet. Dump it into my blender. Spin it around for a couple a minutes. Pour it back on the plate.

I would not want to serve it. My guests would not like to feast on it. In fact I doubt my pug would show much interest.

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

Dan, you crack me up, but you’re right. I treat my clients like honored guests and never serve them rubbish.

Their success is my success, and its important to remember that. A recommendation from a happy client is priceless, and the reason why almost all of my clients are the result of referrals.

Kerry

Joseph Dabon writes:

Nice tips. But can you give me some specifics in starting out as a freelance writer? I just decided that I want to be one instead of just a blogger. I would appreciate a point or two.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Comment provided August 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

Hi Joseph,
Here are my biggest tips:

1.Publish some excellent articles here on EzineArticles.com. In your profile make it clear that you are a freelance writer and the services you provide.

2. Build a website that focuses on your writing services, add the EzineArticles widget to it so the articles you publish here are automatically updated – see my page: http://www.kerryfinchwriting.com/articles/ This can become your showcase.

3. Learn how to create articles that search engines love, learn about the importance of keywords and how to use them (there are loads of resources here on article best practices).

4. Set up a profile at elance.com, browse the jobs there (or freelancer.com, odesk.com). Do NOT expect to be paid a fortune for your work initially. Be prepared to submit reasonable bids until you have established a reputation, and have created a decent portfolio and received testimonials (ask for these!!).

Drop me a message on my site, and I will send you a copy of my book Overnight Writing Income. (And that goes for any EzineArticles.com readers!)

Regards
Kerry

These tips that we get here are really effective only after we work on them. if nothing is done to these we will not see any results but we will keep on complaining and regretting. It will not end here but on blaming others for our mistakes.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Kabir Khan writes:

Thank you for the advice. I am new to artcile writing and trying to get as much help as possible.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Kerry,

It was fun to read about another Ghost Author… I love your writing style and fully appreciate your tips. Thank you SOOO much for sharing here.

I clicked on your link and found an article about Press Releases, so not my strong point, but something I have to write frequently. I’m certain I’ll be a better PR writer now!

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

Hi Jan,
Nice to meet you….. online SEO press releases account for around 50% of my business these days. The (instant) SEO benefits are impressive.
Regards
Kerry

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I’ve had similar experience as a result of press releases, but don’t feel like I’ve mastered the process yet. Always feel like there’s more to learn. They’re only about 10% of my writing business, but growing.

John Maxymuik writes:

“Spell Out the Link in Your Resource Box – Write out the link in the Resource Box in full at least once rather than using a hypertext link”

I’m not clear about what is meant here. I thought ‘writing it out’ meant giving the http etc. Or, are you referring to putting the http etc somewhere in the article itself, in addition to putting it in the resource box?
I’d appreciate it if you could explain a bit further about what is meant in this paragraph. Thank you.

Comment provided August 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Kerry Finch writes:

Yes John, I am saying to ‘spell out the link in your resource box’ – giving the full url as in my example. Having it in the body of your article will be an impediment to it being republished by others.

John Maxymuik writes:

Dear Kerry: Thanks so much for your comments. Now I “get it”! Thanks again. John

Dallas Kelso writes:

Hi Kerry, Glad to see your awesome showcase of writing tip here on EzineArticles. You have provided us with great content over the last year or so and we are really grateful to have been a client. Just wanted to say thanks :-)

Cheers – Dallas

Comment provided August 21, 2011 at 4:02 AM

Kerry Finch writes:

Thanks Dallas, it is a real pleasure working with such a professional team as yours, and its very rewarding watching our businesses grow.
Kerry

Comment provided August 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Katie writes:

YAY Kerry! Some golden tips here, you’ve always been extremely generous with the helpful information you provide to others! Thanks for sharing :)

Comment provided December 5, 2011 at 11:12 PM