Localized Niche Articles Revisited

Hitting the Localized Niche Bull’s Eye

Many Expert Authors use specific locations as a method to target localized search results. This can be extremely advantageous for authors, but it also can be challenging to hit that localized niche bull’s eye.

Imagine a localized niche as a target. If you can hit a bull’s eye like Robin Hood and deliver detail-oriented content to the location, your legend (credibility) will reach far and wide.

Great localized niche authors understand there’s a distinct audience looking for location-specific information. This may include audiences looking for an article on travel and leisure destinations or someone else looking for real estate market data.

What makes location-specific articles so great? Localized niche articles are valuable because they are more likely to be derived from real world experiences and insights. By writing a quality article about a location, the author provides a very specific service to their niche that is entirely unique!

You, too, can take advantage of your experiences and write articles that target localized searches.

Keep this in mind: By writing a title with a location name in it, you’re making a specific promise to the reader that you’re going to give insights truly unique to the location.

2 Keys to Writing Localized Niche Articles:

1. Target: Ensure your article’s content is specific to the particular locale.
  2. Aim: Ensure your title accurately represents the content of the article.

Here’s why:

If the information in the article isn’t specific to the named locale in the title or if the title doesn’t accurately represent the content in the article, the article fails to deliver on its promise to the reader and the article won’t be approved for publication on EzineArticles.com.

Don’t attempt to use a quick fix! Ensure the article uses the 2 Keys outlined above: target locale specifics and aim for accuracy!

One common mistake authors use as a “quick fix” to this problem is remove the location name out of the title. Stripping, or removing, a location from the title and leaving it in the article body is not acceptable because the article still references the location.

For example, I’m an expert on building houses and I write an article about building a home in Florida. I title the article “Top 10 Tips to Building a Home in Florida” and then I list 10 tips about building a home, from “contractors in Florida will help you with a, b, and c” to “framing studs for Florida homes using the balloon technique.”

What’s wrong with this picture? In all my frenzy and excitement during the article drafting process – I forgot to add the essential Florida element to the article. I’ve failed to deliver on my promise to the reader! They wanted an article about withstanding hurricanes or whether to build in Tallahassee or Miami. I’ve provided great building tips, but my tips could apply to Hawaii or South Carolina!

So I try the ill-advised “quick fix” and remove Florida from the title, but in my efforts to keep my promise, I fail to see the entire article is riddled with references to Florida. This isn’t acceptable because now I’ve confused the reader.

In the end, this isn’t a “quick fix” at all. It ends up taking away from your credibility as an expert in your niche. To stay on target, ensure the article is specific to the location you’re writing about (i.e. provides a detailed description of the named location), and you will hit the localized niche bull’s eye!

Adam Alexander writes:

While I doubt it will make a difference, I would like to provide some additional perspective.

I understand the purpose and the applicability of this policy, however, I disagree with its broad enforcement. The example used to describe a home builder in Florida that is providing home building tips is a perfect example of a local expert providing advice to a local community. Just because a specific geographic location is discussed or a geographic community is the intended audience, doesn’t imply the tips should differ from any other location if they apply equally.

In fact, the authors geographic location allows them to speak with authority about that location to an audience in that location, which may or may not differ from others. That is the niche.

Not to specify the location in which the author is an expert is what causes confusion, not whether the subject matter may be applied elsewhere. If there are additional subjects that cover specific geographical requirements that only applies to a specific region, it should then be presented as such.

For the editorial staff to require additional filler content be added to an article, for which the editor is not an expert, in order to artificially add unnecessary relevancy detracts from the authors intent. Perhaps the following article could address “Wind Storm Issues” or “Mold Resistant Building Materials”.

In the example used, if the home building article was written in terms that did not specify the authors location or geographic expertise, than the article may very well be misleading. And what if the author wants to limit his audience to people living in Florida or Houston? This editorial guideline is very restrictive and suppresses the author’s creative intentions.

I’d ask that you reconsider the specific, application and enforcement of this policy.

Thanks,

Adam.

Comment provided August 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Linda Smith writes:

Great tip!a Could be applied to any topic.

Comment provided August 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Comment provided August 24, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Linda Smith writes:

I agree. Authors do not have much room for anything. The guidlines are confusing. Even when you follow them, you get a reject artcle due to guidelines infringement of some sort.

It appears everything has to go into your signature box, and even that is rejected at times.

My recourse, is to write my article, submit elsewhere and then hit the directories with the URL.

Comment provided August 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I agree Linda, and I wish you well. This was worth a try, but placeing free job pportunity ads in Craigs list does let you choose a wider audiance for what your objective would be if it was to draw attention in just one local.

Denise Rutledge writes:

I must agree with Adam on this one. The writer is the expert on what is of local value not EzineArticles.com. For example, an article may seem accurate to an editor when they replace a state with another state, yet the content becomes largely inaccurate.

This is especially true when an author writes content for a topic in the context of a different country, though it holds true at the state level as well. Some facts are different. For example, in real estate. Washington state almost always conducts closings in an escrow office. In Alabama, the law stipulates that closings must be conducted in an attorney’s office. So an article on mortgage closing in Alabama wouldn’t be accurate if the word Alabama was replaced by Washington.

This highlights the fact that the author could hit the target “Ensure your article’s content is specific to the particular locale” and still have the article rejected because the editor doesn’t know the facts.

I aim to ensure my title accurately represents the content of the article every time. That should be true of every article. The real question is who determines whether the information in the article is locale specific or not.

Personally, I would draw the line at cities not states or countries. Anyone with SEO knowledge knows, a series of articles on building in California isn’t going to do much good for local optimization anyway. Look at the size of the state! Yet, unless the editor lives in California and has built a home in the state, there’s little chance the editor has the ability to tell whether the article is applicable to other locations in the country or not.

If EzineArticles.com isn’t going to put some “faith” into that expert author status they give us, why call any of us expert authors?

Comment provided November 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Kimberley Coughlin writes:

I agree with Adam and Denise. Especially when publishing articles about legal issues and the law. Most of the information given about specific laws, penalties for breaking the law and what to do are definitely location specific.

Now 6 good articles that I have submitted are rejected, and can no longer be published on here, because the article has got to be location specific or else the content can be very misleading.

You cannot write an article about specific charges for breaking the law, when it differs in every country, county, state, province, and sometimes city.

So, yes, if I’m the expert, please allow me to be!

Comment provided January 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Hi Kimberley,

I see you have been in contact with our Member Support Team regarding the issue in your articles. Feel free to contact them anytime with any issues you are experiencing as they are always there to assist. :)

~Vanessa

Kimberley Coughlin writes:

Thank you.

Tom Mills writes:

Hey guys,
It’s becoming clearer that quality articles of the highest standards are now expected from all authors on EzineArticles.com

This makes total sense. If you want to grow readership, traffic, as well as top level content, we must pay attention to the helpful tips provided in this forum.

Appreciate it!