Getting the Best Out of a Title Writing Power Hour

It’s been said that an article’s title determines up to 95% of the overall success of the article.

Like a successful ad tag-line, an attention-getting title truly can make the difference between an article getting read many times over and that same exact article failing to generate any interest.

Surprisingly, many people don’t give more than a few seconds of attention to each of their titles.

They focus so intently on the article itself that they don’t take the time to shape the title or give it one last look before submission. Then they wonder why so few people were intrigued enough to click and read the entire article.

Most often, what we prescribe to those people is to invest an hour or more a month coming up with high quality article titles. Once you complete the heavy lifting of generating the attention-getting titles, it’s almost like the article body writes itself.

To get started, follow these Rules of an Article Title Power Hour:

• Eliminate Distractions Beforehand
  • Open a New Word Processor Document or Have Plenty of Blank Paper Handy
  • Write Nothing But Titles for 1 Hour
  • Every Title May Not Be a “Hit,” But Write Every One Down
  • Once Done, Prioritize

Just setting up these rules alone may not be enough to get momentum in your title writing session, so here are some tips to actually writing those titles:

1. Focus on Benefit-Oriented Keywords – Use the title to convey the benefit a reader can expect from your article. Give them a positive reason to read on. The titles that stand out as being the most beneficial are the ones that get the most attention.

2. Pay Attention to First 3-5 Words – Most search engines give heavier weight to the first 3-5 words in the title and a lower priority to the rest. The title should read well AND have focused keywords in the first several words to have the greatest impact.

3. Consult Your Personal Journal – If you’re stuck, take a look inside of your journal to generate ideas. Regular journaling can help you remember all sorts of different article ideas that come directly from your own experiences.

4. Use Previously Completed Keyword and Keyphrase Research – Digging into keyword research before doing this exercise can help you find a direction to your writing.

5. Position Titles Along the Long Tail – Find a balance of keywords along the long tail.

The last key step is to remember to revisit your title once you’ve finished the first draft of the article. Think about whether the title still describes the article in the best way possible. If not, you may have to refocus the title on the article’s subject.

Start using this exercise today and you’ll be on your way to turning your article writing strategy into a well-oiled machine.

Have any other strategies for coming up with new article titles? Leave them in the comments section below.

Dear Sir
Thank you very much.
opportunity for me to day.

“Definition” of “business”.
“Just a minute”.
“It is worth.”

Sincerely

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Amy Hagerup writes:

This is great. I believe good titles (and also good email subject lines) are vital to getting articles read. I need to do more learning on keyword research and utilizing those. Thanks for a great article. power hour – here I come.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Great tips for catching interest of readers!

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I concur, these are ALL great ideas, and the best way to play it. This is what I do. I might sit in Starbucks for an hour or two just thinking up titles, no I don’t use all of the ones I think up, some seem silly after thinking about them a while, but I generally come up with a ton using this methodology. An hour is a good amount of time to do this exercise. Great post, keep all this good advice coming.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Titles have been a challenge for me. Thanks for this great piece. I will put it to good use.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Perry Mink writes:

I agree, I firmly believe that if you can follow up in the article what you promise in the title, you have a good chance of having a good following. Also, I try and use your “Title Suggestion” tool as often as I can.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Jackie Paulson writes:

Thanks for such a wonderful reading on Titles. I will use this for my future posts on wordpress.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Leon Makojed writes:

Seasoned article writers know that concentrating on titles is the right way to go.

Your excellent advice in the form of a structured method with “Rules of an Article Title Power Hour” is a great way to stay on track.

I find that by concentrating on my title, the body of the article forms itself.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Karen writes:

Excellent tips on writing titles. Will definitely follow all the rules suggested. Getting an attention grabbing title is indeed so important. Thanks.

Comment provided August 1, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Bellaisa writes:

I was reading today about how the first sentence in an sales ad copy is the single most important thing in there. It can determine whether or not the reader will move on to the second sentence and so on – which is ultimately what we want our readers to do! It should be short, interesting, and make them want to read more.

So in articles we have to rely on our title to grab the readers attention – as well as the first sentence.

Comment provided August 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Robyn writes:

Great advice. Titles have always been a challenge for me. This article has given me a great step by step to put on the pinboard.

Comment provided August 4, 2011 at 5:38 AM

James McNeeb writes:

I came accross this site purely by chance and.. Oh, my Golly Gosh!

Thank you SOOO much for publishing these astoundingly good articles and advice!

Sure, I perhaps new SOME of these things already but it’s fantastic to get a fresh perspective and reasurances from others from time to time.

I look forward to reading more! ;-)

Comment provided August 4, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Elena writes:

I agree that a great title draws the reader’s attention. However, you need good content to keep the reader interested, as well. Thanks for the tips.

Comment provided August 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM

buy-recipes writes:

The tips in your article is just what I needed to have read, I had no clear idea on how I was to write an article or what I needed to focus on most before starting. So I thank you for this valuable information, I will now implement the strategies that you suggested in your article,and exercises them into my writing skills.

Comment provided August 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Language Translations writes:

Yes, certainly deciding appropriate and catchy ‘title’ is very much needed if someone wants to see his/her posting in top of search engine results.

Comment provided September 8, 2011 at 8:40 AM