Creating Juicy Article Content

What makes content juicy?

Just like the appetite we hold for the most succulent food, we also have a craving for succulent article content.

Of course, we all have slightly different tastes, but articles that hit “the spot” with ripe, juicy content usually have several things in common that hit the taste buds of the target audience you’re reaching out to.

Recognizing juicy content is a whole lot easier than writing it. To get you on your way to writing juicy content 100% of the time, here are some ways we recognize juicy content and then some tips on how to make it happen in your own articles.

Content is juicy when …

• It gives the feeling you’re writing a top secret diary entry – In other words, you’re giving stuff that you don’t share with just any person. It’s special information. It’s also not dry or indigestible.

• You know you could be charging top dollar based on the quality of the information – At the market, the “Free, Take One” sign is rarely propped up next to the juiciest watermelons or oranges. Instead, they might put the sign up by their overripe produce. Surprise people with the quality of the article content you provide for free. They’ll appreciate it and be way more likely to come back for more – whether it’s free or not.

• There isn’t anything out there like it on the web – The special angle you take into your writing will strongly dictate how unique it ends up. Yes, being a better-than-average writer helps, but you can also repeatedly generate juicy content if you’re the first/best writer in your niche to ______________________. (e.g. compare your niche to everyday life, write articles that elicit a strong emotional response, etc.) You make it one-of-a-kind by injecting yourself into the writing.

• It modifies or shifts your worldview – There’s a difference between providing interesting information and completely changing the way someone else approaches a topic. The article has to be insightful AND address possible counterarguments successfully.

• It’s evident you “get” who the audience is and the position they’re in – Knowing your audience is a big deal. Without a strong connection to the audience, you hardly stand a chance to present them with the juicy stuff they are looking for and present it in the way they are most likely to receive it.

Now, an article doesn’t have to have all of these things to be juicy. It’s rare that an article will meet all of these points, but think about what each means and how to get your writing to that point.

What do you think it is that makes article content juicy? Was it left off this list? Add it in the comments section below.

Louise writes:

Thanks for this great entry. I write every day and sometimes I think I leave my best work in my journal where no one will ever see it. I am encouraged to put more of “me” in my articles.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Kelli Mink writes:

I find the more “juicy” articles to be the articles that are informative, mildly entertaining if it suits the subject matter, and engaging on a slightly more personal level. I like feeling like I am being talked to, not talked at. Thank you for the wonderful example.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Rajiv Sighamony writes:

Writing content is a challenge, where a person should give his best and churn out something special. Special content opens a door in lot of ways.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Louie Bernstein writes:

Really good points. Thank you.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Andrew Boyd writes:

Helpful post Team.

My best writing is from a time of my life where I failed my family badly, went through some horrific experiences and would prefer to forget. I know that I can get readers but I’d prefer to get them by writing about something else. Unfortunalty, my writing looses “juice” when I go off my the subject I’m trying to flee from. Anyone got any views on the subject.

Kind regards.

Andrew G. Boyd

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Andrea Woolf writes:

Thank you for a great article on Creating Juicy Article Content. I would just add take the reader on a journey to begin or build on your relationship.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 3:02 PM

My gosh, I totally agree, and I would add to put some thought into your articles. Challenge the prevailing conventional wisdom once in a while, and also to compare similar situations and solutions from different industries, and areas of the human experience. I really enjoyed reading this blog post, and you know what – it was a perfect example of exactly what you are talking about, it made me think. Please keep writing online blog posts like this one.

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

Lance, did you FALL IN the butter dish?

(sorry, just had to ask)

I really enjoyed this article too, besides the fact that it inspires the heck out of me, I can fully see the benefit of changing up the tone of an article, adding some pizzazz to the meat, a little FRANKS Hot Sauce to spice it up, and maybe even a little bit of OJ to increase the acid. I’m either tired, beat up, or totally brain dead on that last sentence, but YEAH! I get it!

I’m seriously thinking about unloading a page of my diary into an article, now. I promise nothing seductive, just something I learned this week. (Thanks Sean.)

(just read the words below – totally blew this comment — really bad)

Comment provided August 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Thanks for sharing this great article.Thumbs ups for the authir.

Comment provided August 13, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Gai Comans writes:

This is very informative for a new writer starting out with ezine.

Putting yourself into articles can give a personal aspect which touches readers, giving them something to relate to……..great advice thank you…

Comment provided August 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Momoh-Iya'a Olabode writes:

I agree with U. Just aspiring 2 go into writing as an hobby and, i think i have learn a lesson. Thanks.

Comment provided August 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Ryad Bouty writes:

I agree with all the points and I think that beside the content value, the style of writting has it’s role too.

Thanks

Comment provided August 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Leather Expert writes:

I like and totally agree with the first tip: “top secret diary entry”. This gives the article something special. I am going to use that for sure. Thanks!

Comment provided August 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM

Ralph writes:

I really enjoyed this article on juicing up your articles. Making a person feel like a kid in Candy store getting all the good stuff free or at a discounted price. It makes you an the person reading it become more of just consumers but a person that will stay in your downline LQQKing for more juicy articles. Thanks Ralph

Comment provided August 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Peggy Lynch writes:

I had noticed the correlation with food and such a wonderful adjective, “juicy”
Food is not just a necessity, but we crave certain foods.
I hope soon that home sellers will crave my services!

Comment provided August 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I believe its a good thing to have someone guide you on what type of things you need to get involved with,
Its been many years for me to understand the importance of content, even i can share one experience with our company satva design studio, one fine day a client belongs to major publishing company came to us for internet marketing services , especially seo services and he asked me how good are you at content, and my answer was.. what content??
i still remember those old novice days of business.. and i thank all of the contributors across the globe who post such valuable articles to help search engine optimization services providers like to understand things in better way.

Comment provided September 2, 2011 at 10:21 AM