2 Minute Approval Tips: Make Location-Based Articles Specific

Episode 15 of the “2 Minute Approval Tips” Video Series

We’re back again with yet another 2 minute tip to help you avoid some of the most common reasons for article rejection. Today’s tip is to make location-based articles specific to the right location.

Articles that target specific locations can be very successful in regards to SEO. That’s because there’s usually an audience out there searching for articles about certain locations.

By including a location name in the title of an article, you are making a promise that the article will have specific information related to that location. If you fall short on that promise, your article won’t be accepted.

In this video, I’ll share how to avoid this common rejection reason and make your location-based articles specific to the location.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

A Quick Recap of the 15th “2 Minute Approval Tip”

• Targeting Localized Search – Articles about specific locations, like cities, neighborhoods or tourist attractions, are what we consider to be targeting localized search. These types of articles are easy to spot because they usually have a location name in the title. They can be really valuable for readers who are looking for information about something associated with a specific place.

• Sharing Localized Information – We see a number of articles targeting localized search fall short on following through and sharing enough information about the named location. The audience essentially gets tricked into thinking they’re going to get the local information they were looking for and instead just get general information.

• Making it Unique – If the article has content that covers what’s unique about the location and the information can’t be applied to any other locale, then it would be acceptable. For example, an article titled “French Riviera Bistros – 3 New Restaurants With Mouth-Watering Entrees,” that names 3 restaurants specific to the French Riviera would have a ton of value for people looking for restaurants in that area. However, if that same article named 3 chain restaurants that can be found in many locations, with no additional information about specific places, the article wouldn’t be specific enough.

• Substitution Test – When you’re writing an article targeting local search, use the substitution test to confirm that your article has enough location specific information. Simply substitute any other location name in the article title and body. Does the article still make sense? If so, then your article isn’t quite unique enough to the locale.

Before you start writing, you need to know exactly what makes your locale unique in order to master the art of writing location-based articles. Once you are able to pinpoint those unique items, you’ll be on your way to writing the valuable article people are looking for.

To check out the entire “2 Minute Approval Tips” series, click here. Then, put all the “2 Minute Approval Tips” to good use by writing your next set of high-quality, original articles for more traffic back to your website or blog.

I’m in the process of trying to come up with ideas for a charity that I write articles for and one of my ideas is to write something for different localities.

Thanks for the tips. I may have screwed up my article and possibly lost a client!

But your tip also means more work for me as I now will have to research each locality :-(

Comment provided July 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I agree what Mark says about putting enough information in your article that reflects what your title is about, especially for location searches and articles that target specific locations can be very successful in regards to SEO. Even though I do have knowledge of this, at times I will forget so its always good conditioning to hear things over and over so that when I do write my article I will automatically remember to set it up a certain way and usually it will be accepted.
I love to learn and I thank Ezine for the assisstance.

Comment provided July 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM

mary writes:

Thanks for the new ideas, I struggle with writing new articles and Ezine really helps.

Comment provided July 12, 2011 at 10:44 PM

street lights writes:

Thanks for the tips.

Comment provided July 13, 2011 at 12:55 AM

What an excellent idea! I honestly NEVER thought about writing an article about specific locations. I have written about a destination (e.g. specific island or specific topic for a vacation) – but never with a laser-focus on something unique about it.

This tip has me thinking a little differently about how to approach writing about restaurants or attractions of an area. I’m sure there’s a way to make an article sound different from the standard la-dee-da stuff people can find in any tourist publication.

Ok Mark! You’ve got me thinking (again!) :)

Comment provided July 13, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Host.co.in writes:

Its good message for newbies who frequently face the problem of getting their article rejected.

Comment provided July 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I am really thankful for giving these tips that will be really helpful in future.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Denise Rutledge writes:

There can be other reasons not mentioned in this piece for why an article needs to be location specific.

Targeting Localized Search – If you are a Canadian searching for mortgage information, it’s very frustrating for much of the information that comes up in search to be from U.S. sources. Including Canada and Canadian in the title and article helps ensure the reader is getting information that’s not incorrect on any number of different topics.

Sharing Localized Information – There can be considerable overlap in information from one location to the next, even between one country to the next. If the topic isn’t on travel, this overlap doesn’t negate the value of the article. The differences included in the article may not be apparent to the casual reader, yet they do make an article region specific.

Making it Unique – This again may not be obvious. It’s easy to tell if a travel piece is unique. It’s not quite so easy if you’re writing about a career or banking practice.

Substitution Test – Sorry. This doesn’t always work for some of the reasons given above. In general, something that’s true for the state is probably true for the cities in that state. But substitution is a dicey thing when you start swapping state names on some topics, real estate especially!

The goal of maintaining EzineArticles.com’s reputation for quality could be preventing authors from sharing valuable regionally targeted information to it’s readership because the value to the region is being determined by editors who aren’t familiar with the region in question.

Comment provided November 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Thanks for clarifying this! I’ve had trouble getting “localized” city specific articles approved and now I realize why. What is unique at the state level is not necessarily unique at the city level within a state.

Now I know how to approach local articles.

Comment provided December 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Salihu S. Dikko writes:

Thanks severally for pin pointing these tips to virtually many people who never ever think it that way.
Regards.

Comment provided February 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rony m writes:

Hai EzineArticles team…I always read your newsletter by email. But just now I frustrated because your survey now. I don’t agree if localized is cheaper than global. Because we do SEO because we check for competitors.
And I see if search engine more lovely to local market. Because its build small economic to grow up. Sorry if my English is bad.
I hope EzineArticles team can understand…:)
So..like my country in Indonesia. There is much small industry can not competing with big industry. But with search engine ads like google Adwords or seo by stuff location they can grow up.
Thanks…

Comment provided February 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Donald Coles writes:

I am looking for constructive tips on my article writing. I am hoping this is the correct way to submit articles that have merit.

Comment provided February 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Webinar service writes:

Thanks for sharing these tips. I will use this tip in my next article

Comment provided July 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Sarah writes:

Although this is quite frustrating when you target audience is localized, it does prevent spammers so I agree with it.

Comment provided January 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Nihad Cherif writes:

Every time i put unique articles, but always have a problem. i don’t know what to do now !!
help me please

Comment provided October 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Hi Nihad,

Here are some additional blog posts that explain how to use a location in an article, or when to remove a location from an article.

I hope this helps!

Sonia M writes:

Thanks for such useful tips. I will follow these tips to target a specific location audience.

Comment provided November 3, 2017 at 1:30 AM