Landing Page Quality

It’s important to remember that the quality of your landing page is a key component in providing a positive user-experience and increasing the likelihood your reader will want to know more about you. To create this positive experience, you must ensure your readers feel it. The less they have to analyze or figure out the how-to, the more positive their experience becomes.

Your readers will, however analyze a weak experience and they tend not to forget. It’s far easier to work on providing the positive instead of guessing what they might want. If you don’t know what your readers are looking for, you must invest the time to find out. Oftentimes the readers don’t even know, so it then becomes your job to find out how to meet their needs. There isn’t a scientific formula that you must follow in building a quality landing page but there are key factors you must consider.

Relevancy: Readers don’t want content on dogs when they just read an article on how to tile a kitchen floor. Link relevancy also means that you must link to a page that provides the most usefulness to your reader. Don’t promise a PDF and make it near impossible to find.

Transparency: Be open about who you are and what you are providing. Don’t hide your affiliate links on a sidebar or play “cloak and dagger” with your intent. Also, don’t add exit pop-ups because their use is rude. If you want your reader to take some kind of action, make it clear and openly share the how-to.

Navigation: A guarantee to reader abandonment is a slow-loading landing page. Be sure your page is fast-loading, works in every browser and delivers easy access to your product or service. Avoid the annoying pop-ups that prevent readers from seeing what you have to offer. Making them work for your products or services is not a friendly start to your future relationship.

Article Rejection-Worthy Scenarios:

1. Linking to a site unrelated to the article content
  2. Duplicating your article content on your landing page
  3. More than one exit pop-up
  4. Limited or poor user-navigation or your visitor feels forced to your affiliate page when the intention was not transparent
  5. Ad-to-content ratio is poor or unbalanced

Your primary landing-page focus should be to provide a positive user-experience. By doing so, you build trust and credibility and your readers will be back for more.

Will Barnes writes:

I found your article to be useful and well taken. However, I would like to agree with and briefly expand on your point in your Relevancy section. If your web site has multiple pages, it is important to consider your internal linking structure and have the link to go to one of your deeper pages if that page provide the most click-on relevancy.

Comment provided May 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

William Yagomba writes:

Thank you very much for this article. It has shed some light for me because I am quiet new on posting blogs . Just a thought.By leaving these comments how does the website gain in popularity ?

Comment provided May 21, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Dee Dawber writes:

My personal feeling is that your landing page or squeeze page should be a direct link from your article with no navigation necessary. I also won’t have an exit pop-up. I find pop-ups most annoying as do most people. Regards
Dee

Comment provided May 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Dee,

We agree!

Exit POPS are annoying.

Some members of ours have up to 4 exit pops at once. That’s absurd…and that member is suspended now.

William writes:

This article is helpful in better understanding what Panda is all about. In many ways it seems like common sense. Content from your article should link to similar and probably more related material on your website. It is hard to understand why anyone would consider linking to unrelated material. Pop-ups are not only obnoxious they look so desperate. They scream, “Please don’t leave” read over my site again. If you build interesting content, readers will want to stay.

Comment provided May 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Rob Falla writes:

Or move on to another article or helpful resource linked from the landing page.

Thanks for your post. A landing page is a webpage that is displayed when a potential customer clicks an advertisement or a search engine result link.

Comment provided May 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Brice writes:

With landing pages I always believe simpler is better. Don’t confuse the visitor.

I wonder how similar is your landing page guidelines as compared to Google?

Comment provided May 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Cagatay Yildiz writes:

This is a very funny read, thank you!

So you think when you link to “spammy” content, Google will like your site (EzineArticles) less. Could be true, could be wrong.

But how about EzineArticles being spammy itself?? I mean, just look at all the ad blocks that are on an article page! EzineArticles is the primary “created to make click on ads” kind of website!

What I think is the funniest is, you think Google will treat you better if you link to less spammy (created for ads) pages, but you don’t even think about being less spammy yourself.

I am looking at an article at EzineArticles and so far I counted 8 ad blocks. 8!

Comment provided June 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I couldn’t agree more! I have had an article rejected for some technical reason, and once I’ve overcome it, then the new problem arose… My article got declined due to not useful content that article is linking to (pardon me???). The major problem to the EzineArticles is me not having external links on the site (the links that navigate outside of the root domain) and ad-to-content ratio that is too high.

Can you also find here any external links from EzineArticles.com (apart from the writers who provide external links on their own behalf) and low ad-to-content ratio? I bet you can’t. The funny thing is that the one who sets the rules is the last who follows them, and it is really confusing and frustrating by not being consistent from the EzineArticles side. But I’m OK, there are more than enough other high authority article sites that accepts my content and have no such fuzzy rules.

Rachel Fiona

Comment provided June 26, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Hello Chris!
Thanks for the guidance on Landing Page creation. Would like to know about EZA’s stance on Light Box /Hover ads (like special offers or monthly deals) integrated into the Squeeze page content.

Comment provided August 17, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Amy writes:

Some great points made.
There are many things that can be overlooked on a landing page that make the visitors experience worthwhile and a positive experience.
After reading this article I have now implemented all of the above!

Thanks
Amy

Comment provided October 22, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Nazima Kadir writes:

Thank you for valuable tips. I’ll try to provide useful information on my landing page as well as put relevant AdSense ads – maybe visitors would be interested in offered products too.

Thanks,

Nazima

Comment provided December 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Doreen Munoz writes:

I’m a little frustrated with this whole subject at the moment. I right articles on my blog and then I share them on EzineArticles along with many other article sites. I create and submit my articles in the same manner as I always have and their generally accepted. Every now and again I will receive a rejection. I don’t agree with the rejection I just received because their rejection for a reason that previous articles with the same layout were accepted. I just think it’s becoming too cumbersome with all of the rules and it’s starting to feel like a job instead of a creative outlet.

Comment provided March 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Doreen –

I’m sorry to hear that you’re frustrated. We do try to make the article review and approval process as easy and understandable as possible.

Please bear in mind that our Editorial Guidelines are occasionally revised and updated to better reflect the increasing need for quality on the Internet. As a result, it’s not unusual for the rules regarding article submissions to change and become more stringent. An article that may have been approved in the past might not get approved under the current guidelines.

If you feel your article has been rejected in error, please contact our Member Support Team. They’ll review the article and give you recommendations on how to avoid that particular issue in the future.

– Marc

patricia gaines writes:

I am trying to understand this. Evidently the rules have changed within the last few months. And I too am frustrated with one of my articles. However, I do believe EzineArticles is working to help Authors become more effective with quality information. My article in question is just puzzling me. Perhaps I just need to write about the topic with another focus.

Comment provided February 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

John DeLong writes:

I just have no idea what else I should be doing. Frustrated is not the word. Can anyone just tell me in plain ole’ English, what the heck I’m doing wrong?
My articles are not published due to my landing page lacking content. How much content is correct. Can someone show an example of what is acceptable?

Here’s my link http://roscoekneescooter.blogspot.com/
Please tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Comment provided May 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Hi John,

I see that you have an email out to our Member Support Team. They will be contacting you shortly regarding the issue in your articles. Please note, the link you referenced in your comment is not the link that has the issue.

~Vanessa

Lisa writes:

I feel the same. I need plain english telling me what is wrong as well. I added more content but still got rejected. Very frustrated. Please help! Need an example or something to go on.

Comment provided September 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Hi Lisa,

I see you have been working with our Member Support Team and the article in question is now live. If there is anything else we can assist you with please do not hesitate to ask!

~Vanessa