Expert Author Photo: A Step Toward Credibility

Uploading an image for your EzineArticles Expert Author Photo takes just minutes, but what you get in return is invaluable.

One of the challenges faced by authors just getting started with article writing is determining how to become recognized for your expertise and set yourself apart from other authors.

It can seem like a colossal goal to hope to become the go-to person in your niche based on expertise alone. But, if you take it one step at a time and use all of the resources available to you, the task doesn’t seem so colossal anymore and you can actually start to enjoy the journey of becoming a respected Expert Author in your field.

One of the first steps in that journey is to connect your name with your face by uploading your Expert Author Photo.

Without an Expert Author Photo, your EzineArticles account doesn’t stand out among the other face-less authors out there. By uploading a photo, you can start to gain credibility and exposure for your personal brand AND show that you stand behind your content 100%.

Plus, uploading your Author Photo is one of the prerequisites of Diamond level membership, so authors without a photo won’t be eligible for a Diamond upgrade.

A Quick Refresher on How To Upload An Author Photo:

1. Log into your EzineArticles Account.
  2. In the Authors Area, click on the Profile Manager drop-down menu and select Edit Author Photo.
  3. Click Browse and find the image on your computer.
  4. Once you select the photo you would like to use, click the Upload Photo button.
  5. To confirm, you should see the uploaded photo on the Edit Author Photo page.

Things To Keep In Mind:

1. Photo must be an image or drawing of you.
  2. Including a prop or a theme related to your niche can make your Author Photo stand out.
  3. No business logos, symbols, images containing sexually explicit content or offensive material are allowed.
  4. Images must be in the JPEG format.
  5. Images must be under 100k in size.

Of course, your primary Author Photo is the most important photo of all, but once you’ve uploaded that you can enhance your account even more by uploading up to 100 different professional photos. All you need to do is scroll down to the Professional Photos box in the Edit Author Photo section of your account, upload an image and add a caption.

So go now and check to make sure your Author Photo is uploaded by logging in here. If it is, great work on your part. If not, it’s time to find a nice photo of you, or take a new one, and upload it today!

Sue Cockburn writes:

I really appreciate the great information and tips EzineArticles provides to authors. You not only provide a forum for authors to share their articles and expertise, you also provide well thought out, helpful and down to earth tips and advice that are helping me develop and become better at communicating through my writing.

Thank you!!

Comment provided May 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Robert Klinga writes:

Great article… Because a lot of people don’t think these small things for example, add a photo is crucial if you want to brand yourself online. It is a great thing to keep in mind if you want to build trust online and also remember that building trust online/offline takes time… Thanks.

Comment provided May 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Tracey Stover writes:

This article was a great reminder about how to keep supporting the process and super helpful. Thanks so much. Warmly Tracey

Comment provided May 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Elena Neill writes:

Thanks for the suggestion. I really didn’t think a photo was that important until you brought up the credibility and exposure issues. EzineArticles, I appreciate your hints and suggestions.

Comment provided May 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Comment provided May 16, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Srinivas Katam writes:

Thank you for the information and tips EzineArticles admin provides to authors… I will update my profile..

Comment provided May 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Rachel King writes:

Yes, this is all very interesting but what’s with the NOFOLLOW? Am I going crazy or is EzineArticles nofollow now? Please let me know

Comment provided May 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Rachel King writes:

Any comments regarding the Nofollow anyone? I’m not getting a response from your support team either. Please let us know what is happening!

Rachel,

I went to look up your query and found no emails sent to us by any author or member named “Rachel King.” Perhaps you have an account under a different name.

To answer your question:

As of right now, if you’re a member in good standing, your resource box links are DOFOLLOW.

M Francis writes:

Great article. I have heard that sometimes it is better to leave out photos in order to emphasize your brand or logo, but I guess as an author, we are the brand.

Comment provided May 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Sharon writes:

Great tip on the photo add, I agree that being able to associate a picture with an article is most effective. TKU

Comment provided May 17, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Jan Verhoeff writes:

I always struggle with photo updates. My hair doesn’t stay the same style for two weeks running (let alone the same color) so I always wonder if they’ll recognize me if I change my photo.

How does that work with brand recognition?

Comment provided May 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Jan, what I would suggest is that you pick a good photo of yourself and stick with it. Treat it like your logo and don’t change it unless there is a very compelling reason to do so. Think about it, your readers are never going to see you in the real world (typically) so why worry about your frequent changes to hair color or style? Your author photo may eventually look outdated to you, but they’re never going to know the difference. They’ll just see the photo they always see that represents Jan Verhoeff the Expert Author in their mind.

Betty L Eriksen writes:

Like so many others I did not think that a photo was all that important, but you have convinced me otherwise. Thanks for your advice.

George Argo writes:

I thank you for this outline for success. I was told this about 12 months ago. I am a Electrician in Gainesville GA. I thought this wasn’t that important. Thank God for marketing experts like you. Thanks again.

Comment provided July 31, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Bruce writes:

I am associated with an chronicler of Police History. So much of his output deserves a much wider audience than fellow Police.
However a large part of his work combines and is predicated by Photos, often from forgotten personal archives.
Is Ezine a suitable platform for his work?

Comment provided August 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Bruce,

The content on our site is in the form of short, informative, original articles where the author has an exclusive right to the content. It’s where authors share their expertise including tips, strategies, & techniques. We would not be a platform for chronicles.

TJ Henderson writes:

Im yet to submit my first article only because I can’t figure out how to add an image to the article.

I understand that I can have an author photograph, but I’d like to know if I can add an image to the actual article?

Comment provided February 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

TJ –

Sorry, but you currently cannot add a photo or photos to your articles. We may change this policy someday, but not in the foreseeable future.

– Marc

cindy loke writes:

hi, tks for your tip!
i’ve just checked my email and realised my first article’s accepted, and i’ll need to upload my photo. i do not have any in my laptop. i do not know how to put them in anyway..
Please, how do i put my photos in? I have few in my Nokia E72 mobile. Any way I can ‘transfer’ these to a file in my laptop? Then I can upload to EzineArticles.
Or can I get one of those free pictures from Google, which represents my niche, to upload?
I do appreciate your help here.
Tks! – Cindy

Comment provided March 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Cindy –

I don’t know the particulars of your phone, but I would suggest that you simply email one of the photos on your phone to yourself. Then download the photo from your email. After that, it’s just a matter of uploading that photo to Google+ and EzineArticles.

I wouldn’t suggest using any “free” pictures, nor any pictures that are not of yourself. The best way to build credibility as an author is to show your readers that you’re a real person.

– Marc

jacky liono writes:

thank you.. nice article.. I love it

Comment provided September 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Mary Folkert writes:

OK, this is my first article. I am not seeing where to link my website address in the article to my website. Am I just not seeing it?

Comment provided October 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Mary Folkert writes:

found it on my own, dah….. thanks anyway.

Comment provided October 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Hi Mary,

I’m glad you were able to get your question answered! Please feel free to also contact our Member Support Team with any questions you may have, you can use the ‘Contact Us’ button within your My.EzineArticles account to get answers to all of your article writing questions.

~Vanessa

Bas karan writes:

Thanks a lot for sharing this useful and attractive information and interesting posts from you. keep it up.

Comment provided November 5, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Chidozie Obasi writes:

Thanks for your valuable post. Am having a challenge uploading my picture till date. I wouldn’t know why. can anyone figure out how or why this is happening?

Comment provided December 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Lucilda Evans writes:

Hi,
You may want to check on the right size of the picture you are trying to upload; if it is too large you will have problem getting it up, also if it is too small. so check the recommended size and crop it to that size. Hope this help.

LE

LaRhonda Smith writes:

Great information and it makes a it makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for sharing this information.

Comment provided January 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Lucilda Evans writes:

Hi,

Thanks to EzineArticles guidelines they contribute to my authorship a great deal. I love EzineArticles.

Lucilda

Comment provided August 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Jose Vargas writes:

Writing and choosing a topic to a article sometime is a challenge,but is a good exercise for your mind.
A open mind is like a parachute you have to open it for function. When you open your mind then you be able to write a good article! Thank you EzineArticles for helping me to open my mind.

Comment provided September 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Sophie Gratton writes:

Great advice as usual EzineArticles!!

It is true that the hole idea of article writing is to ‘engage’ with people so they consider us as experts in our niches. It is a lot easier for a reader to engage with someone with a face.

Comment provided October 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Al Bargen writes:

Great article, and a very good point. An old cliche yes, but the picture does say much without you having to do the talking.

Comment provided November 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Afzol Ahmed writes:

I love to ahve nice photo on my profile. I know it is great for website visitors. I like this information and thank you sharing.

Comment provided April 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM

it is surprising that the little things we don’t think about can have such an impact on what you do and the way you need to do it.

Comment provided May 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM

susy upre writes:

thank you so much I can do it now ,great article.

Comment provided January 11, 2015 at 3:44 AM

cake online writes:

It is a good idea to accept pics which are drafted of our own, so it’s like a clear sketch also acceptable, else many authors might find difficult to give pictorial appearance there.

Comment provided June 13, 2018 at 5:27 AM