Driving Traffic in Your Direction With Effective Titles

This post was updated on May 7, 2012 at 10:57 A.M.

Creating Attention-Grabbing Titles for Maximum Results

If a web surfer likes what they see in a title, they may be interested in the rest of the article. However, if it doesn’t draw them in, they’ll surf away from your article.

The title is really just a small snapshot to give readers an idea of the full value of the article. But in most cases, it’s your one chance to get the attention of those potential readers and make an impression, and you’d be ill-advised to waste that opportunity.

Getting hundreds or even thousands of potential readers to read your articles and then be converted into potential customers via the links in your Resource Box takes time and effort. One way for you to facilitate that process is to write effective, keyword-rich titles. In this video, I’ll share 5 tips for creating those effective, keyword-rich titles to maximize your traffic results.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

5 Tips to Create Article Titles that Maximize Your Traffic Results

1. Find Benefit-Oriented Keywords for Your Readers – Making the title benefit-oriented gives potential readers a positive reason to read on. Your title should make your article stand out and be unique among other similar articles or search results.

2. Use 3rd Party Services for Keyword Research – Look for services like:

1. Google Insight
    2. Google Suggest
    3. Wordtracker.com
    4. Yahoo! Clues
    5. Good Keywords
    6. Keyword Discovery

These services offer searchable databases that enable you to find out how popular certain keywords are and get suggestions for related keywords based on high search volume. Then, take those words and create keyword-rich titles for your articles.

3. Use the Long Tail to Position Your Titles – At the head of the keyword distribution curve, you will find the most popular keywords used in searches. Toward the tail end, you will find the more specific keywords that are used less in searches. If you only use the keywords toward the head, you may find your articles lost in the abyss of the Internet.

On the other hand, if you exclusively use keywords near the tail, you may find there isn’t enough traffic to be beneficial. The trick is finding the right balance and using keywords that span across the entire long tail distribution curve.

4. Avoid Using Any Special Characters – For best search results, stay away from special characters. If you include them, you may confuse the search engines. And confusion will only limit the possibility for loads of traffic to your articles.

Now, some special characters are allowed, but as HTML has evolved over time, the list of restricted special characters has grown, so please reference the Editorial Guidelines for up-to-date information on what types of characters are allowed and which ones aren’t. But, to effectively craft your titles, it’s a good idea to avoid them all together.

5. Try the Title Suggestions Tool – You can also let us do the “work” of writing titles for you by using the Title Suggestions tool. To give it a try, log into to your My.EzineArticles.com account. Select the Write & Edit tab and then select Title Suggestions from the left-navigation menu.

This resource offers keyword-rich titles from your niche for free. Our dedicated Article Title Writing Team uses the most popular keyword search term data to hand-craft original titles just for you.

Now, devote some time in the next week to find keywords best suited for your next set of article titles. Make sure you use a combination of the Title Suggestions tool on EzineArticles.com and 3rd party services to find benefit-oriented keywords for your readers. Traffic doesn’t always have to be stressful and if you follow these tips, you’ll be on the highway to success in no time.

J Chase writes:

Great suggestions. I use the title suggestions tool with great success. Thanks EzineArticles!

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM

BallparkBob writes:

Saying something controversial in the title also seems to help.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I use Google Adwords Key word tool for finding out key words. And balancing long tail positions in title is really an art.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Gopal writes:

Great innovated idea to title suggestions tool.
Thanks ton to EzineArticles team world wide.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Perry Mink writes:

Great tips. There is a lot of competition out there now. I can definitely see that getting the article title just right will help get more traffic.

Again, great tips

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Gary Hewett writes:

Yet another tweetworthy article in and of itself!

No special characters in the url – that is very sound advice – i had an article that I wanted to tweet about and had to post it a good five times before I could get a working link into twitter – even broke all the link shortners as well.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Jason Matthews writes:

Okay, don’t use special characters. Great tip but can you please give some examples? Is a hyphen a special character? A slash, dash, colon, question mark?

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Jason,

-The following characters are allowed to be titles (but they cannot be around the entire title): , ? ! $ ( ) % ? \ / :

-These characters are NOT allowed in titles: & < ` ~ (tab space) | (pipe) # -Titles Should be In Upper and Lower Case Letters with the First Letter of Each Major Word Capitalized -Each title must have two unique words to be accepted. One word titles are not allowed

Janis Flagg writes:

Wonderful advice. I’m inspired to unlock some more magic and put these tools to work.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Ed writes:

Thanks for your insight tips on writeing article from keyword search. This is one area I would not have concidered to think about. But you outline this in your video.

I’ll start working on these tips for my next article.
Again thanks for the information.

Ed :)

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 1:52 PM

collins H writes:

Hello Marc,
Thanks for your helpful tips about chosing an article tittle.
The use of those resources to search for tittles sound very encouraging,though i have personally always used the resource from EzineArticles.

I always appreciate your tips.
Cheers!

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Lenworth Scully writes:

Your advice is invaluable and greatly appreciated. I am willing to learn, hopefully your advice will help me to become a better writer. Thanks to everyone at EzineArticles.com.

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Vat Thilek writes:

Hi Marc,

It is great to see someone from EzineArticles reaffirming the effects of article marketing, after Google’s two panda updates.

I love article writing and used to regularly write articles for EzineArticles. But, of late, I am hearing stories that many article directory links are discounted by Google panda… Correct me if I am wrong.

I do need some kind of inspiration from guys at Articles, so that I can restart my halted practice.

Vat

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

If anyone does article marketing purely for link juice, then they’re not our target ideal EzineArticles member.

We believe strongly in the power of sharing your best content in the form of short informative articles for the purposes of expanding your credibility, building your personal brand, and attracting high-value traffic back to your website.

Any SEO benefit that comes with article marketing is incidental and not the primary reason our platform was built.

Panda also brought with is the decimation of our competitors and while we don’t think Google got it quite right yet (many low value thin sites now outrank high quality original content)… over-time, we believe Google will get it right and the best content will rise to the top. :)

Any one who is sincere to the job of article writing would follow your valuable advice to share original contents.

Zeljko Vasic writes:

Definetly agree with you.

I created my website with the exact intention of providing visitors useful information for their search topics, becuse I know for myself when I look for information I need, I want quality, good info…as everyone does.

As you said, quality is the most important as when people read quality information, they are more likely to come visit your website seeking for more of the same quality info they already got from your articles posted around the web and in terms of traffic this will likely produce more benefit to you then just doing simply a SEO oriented article.

I stil believe SEO is important of course, but you need to balance both in order to get best results and not solely focus on SEO as there is already a lot of spammy information on the web and main focus should be on quality as that will benefit you on the long term.

Caro writes:

Thanks for the tips. Other places to get keywords is interesting and helpful.

Cheers

Comment provided May 9, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Madam Rhietu writes:

This is really helpful video… I’ll definitely follow the guidelines and tips they showed us…

Comment provided May 10, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Geoff writes:

Very good points made here. Titles need to get the attention of the readers, and of course have to be about the actual topic under discussion.

Comment provided May 10, 2011 at 5:50 AM

Joanne writes:

Great tips, I haven’t been using this tool but will certainly do so after reading this. Thanks EzineArticles!

Comment provided May 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM

collins H writes:

Hi Marc, Thanks as always for your tips on
choosing the right tittle for our articles. There is
no doubt that some people write artcles on your ezine for the joy of writing,however the most
write in order to drive traffic to their Webpages.
With the right artice tittle this purpose of writing to drive traffic will be achieved sooner than later.
The right tittle makes it easier for the readers to understand the purpose of the article at a glance.It encourages the reader to go on reading and it is fun.
Thanks for this insight tips.
Collins

Comment provided May 10, 2011 at 2:33 PM

John writes:

I havn’t used the article title generator but now that I understand how it works and how it came about I’ll give it a try.
Thanks

Comment provided May 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Great post thanks EzineArticles.. :)

Comment provided May 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Marc,
This question is off topic but I’m not sure where else to ask it:

Where is the best place to put one of the EzineArticles expert author banners? My webmaster suggests at the end of the article but when I tried to edit a published article it doesn’t appear in the author area. Are these banners intended for personal websites only?

Comment provided May 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Barbara – These banners are designed to be used on your personal or business website or blog as a way of advertising yourself as an EzineArticles Expert Author. You can learn all about them here: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2009/03/new-featured-author-banners.html

Jim writes:

I’m still not completely clear on long tail keyword, but this help to clear keywords up some for me.

Comment provided May 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Jim,

Have you seen this? http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/10/long-tail-concept-targeting-your-ideal-audience.html

It may help with your understanding.

Hello Marc, Thanks for your very useful tips on choosing an article tittle.Article tittle is in my understanding like a newsletter which attracts a prospect to a product or services. The tittle of an article either attracts a reader or it indirectly expels him.
I am optimistic that like every other authors of EzineArticles I will do my very best to make use of your tips.

I do appreciate it!.

Comment provided May 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Great tips, especially the long tail tip. Always forget that

Comment provided June 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Ray Delworth writes:

I’ve been singing the praises of what I’ve been learning here to my We Love Success Team.

Ray Delworth
SFI Executive Affiliate Coach

Comment provided June 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Try the Title Suggestions Tool

Comment provided June 8, 2011 at 7:02 AM

If you have chosen a great title, it is going to create unpredictable visits to your write-up, but don’t forget that your body of the article should relate the title and represent the theme.

Comment provided September 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Language Translation Services writes:

Yes, certainly deciding appropriate and catchy ‘title’ is very much needed if someone wants to see his/her posting in top of search engine results.

Comment provided November 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM