A Healthy Diet for Your Article Body

Our Own Article Body Pyramid

You fuel your body with foods from the food pyramid, like grains, fruits and vegetables and, really, your articles are no different.

It takes a steady diet of high-quality keywords, originality and portion control, along with several other elements to build and maintain a health article body.

Unfortunately, just because most of us know the keys to a healthy lifestyle, it isn’t any easier to resist the temptation and take the easy way out by resorting to eating junk food and limited exercise. The people that are the best at maintaining a normal weight get there by genuinely changing their lifestyle.

Again, this is no different in the article writing world. In today’s video, I’m going to share the six parts of our own Article Body Pyramid to help you keep up a healthy article writing style. Plus, I’ll go a little more in depth to help you understand what each of the six parts mean.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here are the parts to our Article Body Pyramid from the video:

• Quality, Original Content – The average web surfer is looking for unique and informative content, so give them just that. We’re talking about your “Grade A Top Choice” expertise shared through unique tips, techniques and analysis. This builds credibility. The more quality information you feed your articles, the stronger they become.

• Deliver on Your Promise – Fill your article body up with content you promised in your title. For example, if the title of your article is “5 Tips to Change a Flat Tire,” give five tips to change a flat tire in your article body. Not three tips, not four tips … five tips. Anything short of that expectation will confuse your audience and result in a poor reader experience. So, make sure your article body has a good helping of what is promised.

• Spelling and Grammar – This also includes proper punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure. There’s no faster way to lose credibility with your readers than publishing an article that’s littered with grammar and spelling mistakes. Remember, you only get one first impression, so load your article body up with proper English and cut the gristle.

• Benefit-Focused Words – Keep your article body in good shape by using benefit-focused words that are clear and precise. Make your articles easy to read and don’t assume everyone thinks like you or knows what you know. Just because you know everything in your niche, doesn’t mean your readers will understand all of the associated lingo as well. Also, try and write for a global audience. As you write, imagine someone from a different culture is reading your article. This will help you avoid verbiage that could be misleading to part of your audience.

• Portion Size – Your article body needs to be the right size. Not too big and not too small. According to the EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines, the body must be between 400 and 5,000 words. We recommend 400 to 750 words as the ideal, healthy size for your article body. Feed your article too many words and it may become full of unnecessary information. Feed it too little and it’ll be starved for content.

• Keywords – Keywords are like vitamins, they turbo charge your body. They help with search optimization and ensure your article stays on topic, but use them sparingly. For every 100 words, your keyword may be repeated only twice. Aim for only one, but if you have valuable content, you will be allowed to use two. To avoid writing articles that sound keyword dense, read your entire article aloud before submitting it. This will give you a chance to step back from the piece and observe the way the words work together. If it doesn’t sound right, make some changes.

Use these tips to help maintain the health of the article bodies in your articles now and in the future. Also, feel free to share your own article body health tips!

Like the use of this metaphor! Clear & succinct!

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Ivan writes:

instead of keywords… think of phrases and blend these into the copy

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Tony writes:

Excellent article! Your articles are interesting to read, and very powerful.

I am wondering if my articles are too long? Maybe shortening them, more to the point and interesting to read.

I have discovered to improve my writing skills I would read my articles aloud to someone before publishing. Realizing if my articles are written for me, or for my readers.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tony

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Tony – Reading your articles aloud is an excellent way to improve the overall quality of your writing. I recommend that everybody does it with every single article. It’s amazing the errors and bumpy spots you can discover using this simple technique.

Also, regarding length of your articles, you’re going to want to write articles that are succinct, yet fully deliver on the promises made in the title. If your article starts to exceed 750 words, then you may want to explore your writing style to make sure you’re being succinct and not throwing in a lot of “fluff”. If that’s not the case, then perhaps you’re trying to cover too much in one article. Consider breaking your topic up into multiple articles instead by subtopic.

Ruslyn Duro writes:

Thank you Chris, Its been good to be a reader of your blog for quite a long time.

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Denise Rutldege writes:

I would add that when you are focusing on portion size, word count isn’t as important as developing your topic completely. If you don’t have a clear purpose, it is far easier to feed an article too many words or too few.

If as you are writing your article, you realize that it’s getting too long, sit back. Are you trying to accomplish too much in one article? Could you divide it into more than one?

If you are having trouble reaching 400 words, then you probably haven’t set your goal for the article high enough.

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Tony writes:

Perfect! That’s what I was doing. My articles are too broad based. I understand now that I could write multiple detailed articles from my previous articles.

I can take out unnecessary words, and write each sentence so my inquisitive readers would want to continue reading to the end.

Your articles encourages me to write, why? because now it can be fun!

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM

will writes:

Looking a bit porky there Marc – looks like u could do with your own healthy diet!

Kidding pal – Aside from this good guide, you have a problem when articles are submitted with article spacing.

If I type in a notepad, c & p, remove all formatting, clean up, preview then submit, added spacing between paragraphs gets input.

Same with resource or vice versa and all gets bunched into one crap looking resource – Hence article rejected.

Also – your staff seem to have a problem with understanding English English, not American English, specifically idioms – Do u employ English staff, maybe this might help resolve some issues.

Otherwise the beast of article mkt directories.

Cheers.

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Will – I prefer to be called “pleasingly plump” as opposed to “porky” or any other pig-related terms of endearment. What can I say? They feed us well here at the EzineArticles HQ! ;-)

We don’t currently employ any Brits on our team. Since my heritage is English, I’m probably the closest we’ve got to somebody who speaks the Queen’s English. We do our best to understand and accept UK English, but from your comment it appears we still have a ways to go. We’ll keep working on it.

I’ll let Penny, our Managing Editor, respond to your issues with article spacing.

Hi Marc,

Awesome video!
I wonder if you could also make one about proper punctuation, capitalization and sentence structure?

More power to you & to the rest of EzineArticles Team!

Comment provided May 25, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Floricele – That’s a tall order! :-) Nonetheless, we’ll keep your suggestions in mind for possible future videos. Thanks for your thoughts.

Luqman writes:

It’s always great to read these articles. Every time you find something new and adoptable! it makes you grow!

Comment provided May 26, 2011 at 1:11 AM

John writes:

You always get the message across in an interesting format. Thats a lesson in itself. Thanks

Comment provided May 26, 2011 at 1:35 AM

elizabeth (bet) writes:

Thanks. This sums up exactly what your article should look like.

Comment provided May 27, 2011 at 2:38 AM

Graeme writes:

Hi. They are a fairly straight forward guidelines.

I have only attempted to submit an article once. It was knocked back. In the email, is stated – do not REFER to YOUR product. This was in accordance with the editoriral guidlines Section 2.e vi of not overly promoting a product. Save promotions for the resource box.

I understand that, but I don’t see in the policy where a product, any product, cannot be named in the article body.

Comment provided May 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Marik Singh writes:

Hi Marc,

Very informative thoughts. Although I have never commented on your articles tips before, I made it a point to listen and read your articles every time you post them.
I only have one issue, that is with the submission of articles. I have used the techniques of reading aloud and normally it makes good sense to me, but I have got a few articles still rejected.
Being from Malaysia, we follow the Queen’s English and hence I think the problem of the rejection of the articles.
I do not focus so much on keywords, they take care of themselves. I just focus on quality content. That is why I take some time to write my articles.
I hope your staff could be a little relaxed on the English that we use. As long as it makes sense, I think, it should be alright to approve.
That’s my two cents worth today.
Keep up with the good work. Looking forward to your next article.

Comment provided May 31, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Elena Neill writes:

I would like to say that you are so helpful in sharing many points about article writing. I do want to keep my articles healthy. Muchas Gracias!

Comment provided June 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Kari writes:

All these tips are great for writers, and I personally try to take them to heart. I know that if I read something from someone who doesn’t follow these tips then they may lose some credibility with me.

Spelling errors, false title promises, and keyword stuffing normally has me clicking off of an article and not returning.

Comment provided June 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM