Social Media for Article Writers – Best Practices

6 Ways to Tap into the Social Media Explosion

Social media sites have exploded onto the scene in the last couple of years and they’re already having a profound impact on the way many people communicate with friends, family and brands online.

With the success of sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, it’s no surprise that the overall social media landscape has gained traction as a viable communication option for businesses and especially content creators like article writers.

Social media offers a relatively new option for article writers, like yourself, to connect with a tech-savvy audience to share your articles and your expertise. Plus, that audience can be invaluable as each member has the power to share your articles with their own followers. Then, those followers can share with their even larger network of followers and so on.

The viral nature of social media makes it a perfect tool for article writers. The question is no longer “Should I be using social media to generate interest in my expertise?”, but “How do I get started and where do I go from here?”

To help answer those questions, we put together this list of 6 social media best practices for article writers. These guidelines will help you on your way to giving your article writing a whole new dimension.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here’s a recap of the 6 best practices covered in the video:

1. Come Up With a Social Media Plan – Social media marketing takes time and effort. When you choose to add it to your promotional mix, give yourself a set amount of time each day to research and explore. That set amount of time will help keep you focused until you figure out the best strategies for building your brand as an expert. Then, scale back and focus on those best outlets and strategies.

2. Listen In and Observe – Social media sites are great places to work on your online voice, learn how to effectively communicate with others and follow your competition. Believe it or not, they’re also great places to find article inspiration. Spend time listening to how other people communicate.

3. Engage Others and Let Your Voice Be Heard – Join conversations on social media sites and share the same level of great content you do in your articles. If people have questions and your existing articles answer those questions, refer them to your articles. If you don’t have an existing article answering their questions, consider writing one and sharing it.

4. Avoid the Temptation of Responding to Every Negative Comment – Replying to every negative comment can be detrimental to you in 3 ways. It will (1) drain your energy, (2) waste your time and (3) make you seem defensive to your readers at times. If your original message was loaded with great content, it’s likely your readers will come to your defense, which is far more powerful. Taking the higher ground will position you as an expert.

5. Keep the Proportion of “Salesy” Messages Low – Treat social media sites as you would a table full of friends. Listen and contribute only when you have something valuable to say. Build the relationship first and then ease into your sales message. That is (and always will be) the best way to acquire long-term customers no matter what form of marketing you’re using.

6. Choose Followers Wisely – As your number of followers grows, you’ll get a sense of how much of an impact you have. If you aren’t selective on who you’re following, it can cost you a lot of valuable time, so make sure to follow people that have some sort of connection to you and your business. Quality trumps quantity. Following quality people (not spammers or fakes) is always the best strategy when it comes to using social media for your business.

Incorporate these social media best practices into your article writing plan today for increased exposure and traffic back to your website or blog. Leave a comment to share your own experiences with social media and what it has done for you.

Definitely agree with point 6. You can have thousands of followers but if you are not communicating with them effectively you are wasting your time. Make you point a good one and then make it!

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Liam Virinovi writes:

Good list. I saying ive always loved is; “Infinite patience creates immediate results”
Those that are serious about building long term business relationships will take the time. The comment on not appearing defensive by reacting to negative replies is gold.
As for the sales pitch? Agree with the comments. Your communications will be your sales pitch.
All in my opinion of course :)

mark quinones writes:

You are 100% right on that. I am a marketing professional. Please read my article labeled 10 hidden secrets….John Quinones.

Oneal Degrassi writes:

Tip number one has a hidden gem in it – look for niche-related social networks. Not only will this help you with establishing your brand and positioning yourself as an expert in your industry, it will bring in clients!

Great video – keep ’em coming.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Hope Anderson writes:

Great video with the tips offered. You give sound writing information.Thanks for helping us to focus on good article writing and keeping us up-to – date.

Thanks

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Karen Wasoba writes:

Social networks can be a monster if we aren’t careful. I’ve had readers reference a comment I’ve made online and it throws me off every time.
Now I think globally about my articles and comments rather than assume they are for a select few.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

dreamaker writes:

I write articles for several different directory and Adsense sgaring platforms. I also write freelance articles on just about any subject for the general public for a living.

My experience with social media has not only propelled my status, by increasing the visitors to my work, it has also propelled my passive income levels.

Social media comments frequently show up in search results and your referals now come up when your social media friends search on line, it will say something like “sites your friends like”.

This is a fairly new software update. Search engines are attempting to give the public what they want.

Funny, that’s exactly what I try to do when I write on line articles.

Copycats. (`;

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Marc,

Thanks for these tips. I would like to share that it has taken me two years to understand the way the net works. If I had not read many books, particularly Red Hot Internet Publicity by Penny C Sansevieri, I would have missed finding EzineArticles. Well, eventually I would have connected the dots but she mentioned you! I give that book a plug because it’s fabulous and it makes the comprehension of what you say here make perfect sense.

You know, some people access information visually and others must hear content. EzineArticles has both bases covered. That’s pretty amazing.

So everyone, take your time and build on the education provided here one video at a time. And have some fun with understanding it and always stay positive and honest. How can you lose? You can’t!

Mary Jane Hurley Brant

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Tom Staton writes:

Great article. especially video layout and content. Tip #3 really hit me between the eyes. For years I would “lurk” around social sites and forums “Observing” and listening and never commenting or offering my voice to the mix. As a pretty extroverted guy naturally (public speaker, trainer, etc) I found myself to be quite SHY when it came to commenting. How ineffective! Now I feel like I’m only eavesdropping on someone’s conversation if I’m not offering my input.

You have something to add! Speak up and be Heard!

Thanks, Marc. Good stuff.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Lalitha Brahma writes:

Thanks for the tips. I have found services like EzineArticles.com, Aweber’s ability to integrate with Social media websites like Twitter and Facebook, to very helpful. It saves time and duplication. I agree with you very much about having a game plan OR otherwise it can be promoting through Social Medial can be overwhelming.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Linky Merwe writes:

Thanks for the useful tips for leveraging from social media to increase exposure, branding and traffic to your website/blog.
I agree with having a social media strategy to focus your efforts and maintain your presence on your selected sites. That’s why I created a social media strategy template for easy creation of a plan.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM

olapeju bankole writes:

Thanks for these tips. many have misused these social media why many do not even know their importance and relevance. the tips are helpful.

Comment provided April 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Thanks for the practical tips, Marc!

I’ve found that my social media contacts, over time and with focused effort, have grown organically.

What you say is true – writing good content is key, and there are no shortcuts.

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Rahinur Rahaman writes:

Dear Marc,

Thanks for sharing your real experiences. I just want to add one thing which is choose exact niche.

More time we spend to analyze niche, more success we will gain on our social media business.

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Maria Box writes:

Good points.
It is important to have a social media plan and tailor it according to the site. It would be one plan for a site which sells and another one for a blog-style site.

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Betty Donelly writes:

Hello!

i am actually eager to get not one, but two ezines going in my new project called simple music world …

In fact, i was not really thinking when i embarked on a voyage that is slowly translating itself into a website and online community and it takes time to review all comments and weird things are happening (maybe that’s normal when it comes to having to deal with spammers and such) but i have a Bulletin Boards on there and people keep registering without actually posting anything ..

i am a bit freaked out at this and wondered if this is normal or is there a way i should implement to get my registered members to post stuff ..

or maybe i should i just be patient and sit it out and the community will become alive by itself!

Anyway … i want to thank you for the tips on social media for article writers … you are right when you say it’s best to to take out a predefined timeline to just learn what’s going on in our social media’s culture and communities and just yesterday it dawned on me that no, i don’t need to blast endless promotional messages onto my audience but really should start interact … last two days it happened for the first time that strangers in my FB were taking initiative to chat with me … it was so much fun and i got to exchange some links via the chat so i really want to make clear that this is a actual fun situation where one can easily get their messages across in simple non intrusive ways ..

I am really starting to get bitten by the writer’s bug
and am grateful i signed up for a EzinesArticles.com account .. i had heard that name buzzing since my early online days back in 2005 or 2006!

I can only hope they will accept me so i can call myself a real Writer, Blogger!

Thanks for letting me share!

Betty Donelly

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Livret-E writes:

Very interesting post and great video to boost. Always interesting to look at ways to enhance the business with social marketing that are a little deeper than adding a Facebook ‘like button’!

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Beanies2Bows writes:

Great tips again. I especially liked the 1st, 2nd and 3rd tip. With all of the opportunities out there in social media it takes me getting my priorities in order to spend the time managing each one like I should. Also, interacting with them one on one like I should.

Great advice,

Beanies2Bows

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

John writes:

How do you find niche related social networks?

Comment provided April 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Beanies2Bows writes:

John,

Pretty much every social network that I’m associated with as a group for about every niche out there. I would try a group.

Great video Marc. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed it very much. I liked the 2nd and 6th tip. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided April 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM

Blog SEO writes:

Very interesting point of no.5, totally agree with you. The main message is to explain the subject up front and let the visitor/prospective customer decide afterward.

Comment provided April 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I agree with point 5 but we are also in the business of Internet marketing and selling online to people and that’s why we tend to overdo the selling point but it is part of the whole deal

Comment provided April 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Hope Anderson writes:

Thanks for the tips on Social Media. I am learning how to use social media and these tips will help to guide me on the sites i have chosen. As usual, you should have a “plan, listen and observe engage others” are very important techniques to use.

Comment provided April 20, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Michelle Zimvu writes:

Thanks for those six fantastic tips Marc!I will definitely implement those in my social media efforts. My main challenge is to get my followers to interact with me.Working on it and staying positive. Thanks again!!

Comment provided July 7, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Libby Kalis writes:

Hi Marc,

Excellent tips! I understand that number 1 best practices is so very important.

But the trap that many of us internet marketers fall into, is spending way too much time on the social media sites.

It is easy to get distracted and not follow a plan. Before you know it, hours have passed and you have not actually done anything constructive to market your business.

Kindest,
Libby

Comment provided July 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Elena writes:

I agree that social media takes a lot of time and effort. However it is a great tool for drawing traffic to your site, article, or blog.

Comment provided July 18, 2011 at 8:26 PM

social media writes:

He was very well written and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I’ve read that are not really good. I also found interesting your blogs. In fact, after reading, I had to go to show my friend and he liked too. Thanks for sharing that great information with us…….Thanks a lot ……….Keep it up dear……..

Comment provided July 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Awesome article!

Loved it. The one which stood out to me was the bit about lowering the salesy message count. Most social media amateurs tend to downright spam their following with too many promotions. Needless ta say, followers don’t stick around for long.

Anyways. Great article!

Cheers!

Nasri

Comment provided August 2, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Hope Anderson writes:

Hello Marc,
Thank you for your social media tips. All 6 points are very important. I like points number 2 and 6 especially. You have to listen and observe then connect with people who are like-minded to follow.

Comment provided August 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Virectin writes:

Great write-up, I’m normal visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the excellent operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a long time.

Comment provided November 18, 2011 at 3:02 AM