2 Minute Approval Tips: Choose Links Wisely

Episode 13 of the “2 Minute Approval Tips” Video Series

It takes more than a good article to make the most valuable user experience possible. Other variables also have a strong influence on user experience. Today’s tip is about one specific way you can ensure your articles offer as close to a 100% positive user experience as possible. More specifically, it’s about choosing your links wisely.

Linking readers to additional resources on your own website is a great way to connect them to more of your very own high-value content. Meanwhile, links in articles to unrelated sites will leave readers confused and looking elsewhere for more information.

The key is to choose your links wisely. Watch this video to discover how:

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

A Quick Recap of the 13th “2 Minute Approval Tip”

• Relevant Links – Whether you’re putting links in your article or your Resource Box, each one you include in an article submission needs to be related to the topic of that article. Each link should add value to the information that you provide in the article. If it doesn’t add any value and it’s not relevant to the readers, you should consider looking for a new link. For example:

• A fitness article should link to a fitness-related website, not a site selling premier cruise destinations or auto repair.

• An article about dog training should link to a website related to pets, not a site about swimming.

• An article about how to fix a dishwasher should link to a website about home appliances, not a site selling a speed-reading manual or a site about self-defense.
  • Determining Relevancy – Think of relevancy in terms of an imaginary bubble that encapsulates a niche or topic. Anything that closely matches the content in the body of an article fits inside the bubble. Unrelated things fall outside of the bubble. Only link to things inside the niche bubble.

• User Experience – The link in the Resource Box is the first thing an interested reader will see once they finish reading an article and they’re looking to discover more about you and your expertise. When they click on a link that’s not relevant to the article, they will quickly get turned off and click away from the link.

To check out the entire “2 Minute Approval Tips” series, click here. Then, put all the “2 Minute Approval Tips” to good use by writing your next set of high-quality, original articles for more traffic back to your website or blog.

Also, post any questions/comments you have about link relevancy.

Rowdh writes:

Question:

An article is in the sexuality niche (it’s about sexual intimacy), can have an author box linking to a relationship site?

Intimacy, sex, etc… from a broad perspective all comes back to relationships, as it (sex/sexuality) would require relationship building, and relationship communication skills etc… in order to accomplish, because it involves another person.

Agree or disagree?

It sounds like you are suggesting that an article in the sexuality niche, can only have a website about sex, sexuality, sex tips etc…

Whereas the core message with that topic, could be relationship advice, as it’s one part of a bigger picture.

Agree or disagree?

Comment provided April 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Is it possible for an author to write off topic and just put “By Their Name” – without any links? Or what if someone is an avid fisherman, but doesn’t sell fishing supplies, can’t they just put “By Richard Collins – an avid fisherman retired now in Wisconsin” or whatever their name is?

Comment provided April 22, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Lance,

Yes, you can. You don’t have to link to any site in your resource box but it does defeat the purpose for traction reasons and your readers will wonder why. If you have articles in your article inventory, I would recommend simply linking to your Expert Bio page.

Dave Baker writes:

hello there seems to be an issue with the body of my article, but it states exactly what my web site is all about. so im confused as to what you are asking me to write in there. did anyone actually read it? dont get me wrong im not an expert but after watching the learning video, the body of my article seems to be on track with what the vidoe says. any feed back is welcome so i can get this article rolling thank you, Dave

Comment provided April 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Dave – I’ll have somebody from our Member Support Team contact you directly regarding this issue.

Frank Kalinski writes:

Great advise Marc! Respect your reader just like you were having a face to face conversation. Have you ever had a conversation about riding a bike with someone and they suddenly respond with “I’m need to have my carpets cleaned” ? Jarring! Were they even paying attention? Leaves me feeling like a Bait and Switch just happened.

Frank

Comment provided April 23, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Cardboard Box writes:

Yes, I agree and try to do this in my articles. Context and relevancy of links are important otherwise no one will click on the exetrnal links.

Comment provided April 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for this topic.

Happy Easter to the community!

We’d keep writing and keep the articles coming.

Comment provided April 25, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Diane writes:

Having the count down clock is VERY distracting!! Harder to focus on what you are saying.

Comment provided April 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Darrell writes:

Hi

A few observations since the panda update and a question.

Since Ezine took a hit on its traffic, many changes occurred. I like the fact that you want your readers to have a good user experience and I really support that and the changes expected from the authors etc.

I noticed the home page of Ezine is much cleaner as well.

The one thing that bothers me and it relates to this article is the user experience. You asked a lot from us Chris, but to this day, I have seen Zero improvement in the number of ads on a single ezine article page being reduced. I mean, how many ads do you need to make a buck?

There are a total of 9 ad blocks located on a single page. Do you really think that is a good user experience? Its not for the record. It makes for a poor user experience – period.

What are you going to do in regards to the number because you have had more than ample time to make a decision on this issue? I would like a clear and non politically correct answer please. Yes or no and why?

Regards,

Comment provided April 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Darrell,

We have a new article view layout that is ready to be released soon that begins to address your concern, but the thirst for us to be significantly ad-less may never be quenched… even though I am all for the concept of ensuring that the end-user experience is who we tailor for. It’s the driving reason we made over 100 quality tweaks/system process improvements over the past 6 weeks alone.

While this may be your opinion and others, it doesn’t always translate into what people actually do when they visit EzineArticles.com. A lot of our data from the new layout is suggesting clearly that we’re delivering a more positive user experience as evidence by increased user engagement, longer page use duration, decreased bounce rates, etc. In the coming months, I’ll share more of our findings.

The real issue is this: Do we drive traffic to your website or not. If the answer is no and you value traffic from us, then you’ll stop submitting your best articles to us. That’s just the way it is and therefore, this is our motivation to ensure that we deliver HIGH-VALUE traffic to your website.

I have clear vision that I haven’t shared publicly yet until it’s released that involves a solution to what I think you’re feeling..and that’s all I can share for now.

Lastly, I looked at your articles and think you should include a link to either your website or your EzineArticles expert author URL when commenting here in the blog. I actually think ALL members should do this, but it’s not a requirement.

Darrell writes:

Hi Chris

OK, thank you for responding and fair enough. I am not naive to believe you can eliminate all the ads, but more of a balance and a slight reduction was what I was referring to. The fact is, you are in business to make money, just like I am. I appreciate the thoroughness of your response.

That is good to see that the bounce rate etc., are going down.

I have included my link to my author profile as you are right about that.

Make it a great day

Comment provided April 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Rachel writes:

Thanks for the video it was very explicit and answered exactly what I needed to know.

And as someone who prefers to read rather than being forced to watch video to get information, great that you kept it to 2 minutes and have a text recap.

Comment provided May 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Regardless what I topic I write about, I would like my author box to link back to my blog.

“Walter Reade is a Ph.D. chemical engineer who blogs at http://www.WalterReade.net

Support says the link is unrelated to the article content so it’s a no-go. And now, after 168 live articles and 13,000 article views, my account is suspended . . .

. . . because I want to link to my (very professional looking) blog.

Seriously?

This means that in order to link to my blog, I need to force-fit a topic to my blog and/or be extremely limited in what I can submit articles about. Neither option works for me.

The next best thing would be for me to just sign my name in the author box without a link, removing all value from my article-writing effort.

For me, this is more than just about clicks. I am being flown to Massachusetts in October to speak at a conference as a result of one of my articles. The link back to my site was the critical element.

I need to keep that regardless of the topic I write about!

Comment provided May 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM

Logo Design writes:

This post has been really encouraging to me. I have been wanting to invest more time in reading and commenting on blogs,

Comment provided July 25, 2011 at 1:34 AM