Jennifer, an EzineArticles Expert Author, recently wrote in and asked:
“A large percentage of your traffic is gone, like 90%, or that’s what I hear. Is that true?”
Here’s my video response to Jennifer’s question:
Here’s a summary of my points from the video:
- First and foremost, the 90% rumor is not true. Google’s recent search algorithm update did have an impact on our traffic, but it was to the tune of about a 10-35% decrease. We’re still serving over 1 million visitors to our site every day. Some niches actually gained traffic from this update.
- Google tweaks their search algorithm just about every day (sometimes more) and that adds up to about 300-500 updates a year. Up until these changes, we’ve never been hit negatively with any of these tweaks during our 11-year history.
- The goal of the update was to go after low-quality, thin content. We completely agree with Google on this update, and we’ve made sweeping changes to our Editorial Guidelines and internal review processes to combat low-quality, thin content.
- Keep in mind that we’ve raised the bar on the acceptable level of quality every month since we launched EzineArticles.com. In the last few weeks, we’ve done about a full year’s worth of “quality bar” raising in an effort to weed out thin, derivative content while identifying and highlighting the absolute best content.
- We’re more proud of the content that we see on EzineArticles.com today than we ever have been, and we’re really excited that the highest quality content is getting its chance to shine.
You can still use EzineArticles.com to find a voice and find a home for your high-quality, original articles to build your credibility and get increased traffic back to your website or blog.