Ensuring Your Articles are Original and Informative

4 key questions to ask yourself before you submit your articles.

A while back, we shared a video series called the Top 10 Reasons for Article Rejection. It covered the top 10 reasons why articles are rejected.

In that video series, our goal was to identify the most common reasons why articles aren’t accepted into the EzineArticles database and how to avoid making those errors yourself.

As with any “Top 10” list, there has to be a #11 that didn’t quite make the cut. With that said, we dedicated this post to that very rejection: Lack of Original or Informative Content. We did this for a couple of  reasons, one being that the rejection is far more common today than it was in the past and if I have to venture a guess, it is running very close to those on the list and secondly, I believe it warrants discussion as we receive many questions on these rejections and we’ll share them with you throughout this post for you all to learn from.

An excerpt from our Editorial Guidelines state, your articles “… must be informative and share your own exclusive and original content. Include tips, strategies, techniques, case-studies, analysis, opinions and commentary in your articles. We do not accept articles that contain more than 5 lines of quoted or sourced material.”

What this means:

1. Is my article informative?

Each article should increase the overall knowledge of your reader. It could be informative (i.e. sharing information) and/or instructive (i.e. sharing a process). Articles that appear to be diaries or journals which have little analysis or commentary aren’t considered informative. When writing, simply ask yourself, “What will my reader walk away with having read this article?” If nothing comes to mind, start over. Don’t cheat yourself out of the credibility an article can bring you. Deliver the goods and share your knowledge. Your readers will reciprocate.

Keep in mind the minimum word requirement of 400 words. If you are including sourced content (maximum of five sentences) they are not included in the word count on review. Original language does not come from sourcing. Sources may enhance the clarity of the article but it doesn’t mean it’s all that is needed. Readers want to hear from YOU.

2. Do you have 100% exclusive rights to the content?

You must own the content. If you hired a ghostwriter, you still need to own the content. Rehashing someone’s work not only destroys your credibility as an author in your niche, it will get your account banned. Be true to your works and increase your presence in your market by delivering fresh unique content that only you own.

3. Is the material based on my own unique perspective?

Each article needs to present a new viewpoint. If it’s just a rewritten or reworked version of a previous article you’ve already submitted, the content isn’t original, it’s derivative.

We take a hard stance on this and compare your new submissions to articles already published. If you are not delivering anything new and/or your articles appear spun they won’t be accepted. Chances are, continued submission of this type will result in an account action. We want your articles to be associated with the best as should you. Your hard work in delivering unique content will pay off.

4. How much of my content is quoted directly from another source?

We accept articles with a limited amount of quoted text from another source. For example, an introductory quote can be a good attention-getter, but any article with more than five lines of quoted material will not be accepted.

On your next article writing venture consider these tips to help you successfully submit quality content that will drive traffic. Also, check out the Top 10 Reasons for Article Rejection video series to see how you can avoid falling victim to the other common article rejections.

Leave a comment or share the questions you ask yourself to ensure that your articles are original and informative before submitting them.

Toni Wilson writes:

I am new to article writing and found this very informative. There is a lot of competition out there so to get an article into the top 10 would be quite something!
Will check out the videos about article rejection too. I have not yet attempted to submit any articles to any sites other than my own blogs so once I have studied a bit more will see how I get on following your tips.
Thank you.

Comment provided February 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Alexis writes:

I’m working hard to perfect my skill in writing good articles.I’ve learnt that quality is better than quantity.

Comment provided February 1, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Cheryl Pickett writes:

For those just starting out in particular, you’ll have a good chance at accomplishing #1 & #3 above if you simply pretend you’re having a conversation.

Pretend someone has asked you a question about whatever you plan to write about. For example, they’ve asked, “What should I stay away from when I hire a web designer?

Write your article as the answer, just like that person is standing there and you’re giving them your best, honest thoughts in a discussion. You’ll likely need to fine tune that first draft before submitting, but if you start from the basis of a conversation, you’ll rarely go wrong and you’ll have a much easier time with acceptance here on EzineArticles.

Comment provided February 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Ratan writes:

Great coaching for the novices like me!

Thanks Cheryl.

Mark Stephens writes:

Hi Penny,
Thanks for this post. It’s always good to know what not to do when writing articles.
Whilst many people see article writing as ‘old hat’ I believe it is still one of the most effective free ways of sending visitors to your web site and learning how to do it effectively is a worthwhile skill to have in you armoury.

Comment provided February 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Rosalinda Flores - Martinez writes:

Thank you for sharing these tips to us. I enjoyed “Gary” in the video and I can’t stop laughing. I had so much fun.

I did embed the video on my blogs.

A blessed day to EzineArticles and everyone,
Rose

Comment provided February 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Are articles already published on our personal blogs allowed to be uploaded as an EzineArticles?

Thank you!!

Laura

Comment provided February 2, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Lisa Mason writes:

Even though I have been writing professionally for years, I still find ways I can learn from this blog. Love your tips and ideas. Keep it up!

Comment provided February 2, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Aum Santih writes:

ye, nice and informative post, i remember my first article being rejected, reason, not the accurate category for the article,

tx

Comment provided February 2, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Karen writes:

Thanks for all your useful and informative tips. These have certainly help me write much better articles compared to when I first started a few months ago. There is always something to learn from EzineArticles’s blog.

Comment provided February 2, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Rocky Torres writes:

As long as your article is informative it will make it to the EzineArticles database.

Comment provided February 4, 2011 at 12:15 AM

EzineArticles and google love unique articles. Duplicate articles are just put to waste.

Comment provided February 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Gina Jennings writes:

I find that the Title Suggestion Tool really helps. I’m terrible at writing titles, but when I get a prompt, then I can come up with all kinds of ideas.

Write for the reader, and don’t be so worried about trying to rank on the search engines. There’s only ten spots.

Right your EzineArticles and pus them out to targeted audiences. Link to your EzineArticles articles from other web 2.0 sites or directories that have active readers.

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Tony writes:

I sometimes post the same articles on other directories, but only after I put them on EzineArticles first. You sometimes see the same article ranking high on several different sites in Google searches.

Comment provided March 15, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Lily ofthewoods writes:

So in other words, if its already on ur blog, it cannot be posted here, is that correct?

Comment provided August 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Lisa Mason writes:

Yes you can. The bylines/author names have to match. They even have a WordPress plugin that allows you to post on your blog and submit to EzineArticles at the same time.

Thanks Lisa for your help!

Lily,

More on our WordPress plugin can be found here: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/09/10000th-plugin-download.html

Jason Molnar writes:

Ah, I always thought that the content had to be 100% unique to EzineArticles. Thanks for the clarification. I’ll probably be posting a lot more of my own content here now. :-)

Comment provided October 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Penny Osmand writes:

There’s a lot to learn in writing articles. I am very new to writing and I am bombarded with articles on how to do it. I was just wondering is it an ongoing learning process or or does there come a time when the it becomes second nature. I know practice makes perfect but will it be years down the line that perfection is obtained?

Comment provided February 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Penny –

Article writing is indeed and ongoing learning process, almost an art form, that can definitely be developed with practice. Along the way, it will become second nature for you – your article writing speed and quality will continually increase. The real key is to WRITE. The more you write, the better you’ll become. Most people say that they start feeling that they’ve crested the article writing hill after writing about 100 articles. This can be done in about 100 days if you dedicate yourself to writing one article per day.

And you’re in the right place to learn more about article writing. You’ll find that our blog is an absolute wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Best of luck!

– Marc

Penny Osmand writes:

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try to write about something everyday

Lisa writes:

Love Marc’s answer to you. In addition to that, yes, there is a time when it becomes second nature. I have been doing it for quite some time now and actually find it enjoyable, rather than a chore.

Penny Osmand writes:

I hope I get to the enjoyment stage. So far I feel as if I am going round in circles. Thanks for commenting

Smithd376 writes:

Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to everyone who employess it, including myself. Keep up the good work for sure i will check out more posts. eddeedefkkfbdeff

Comment provided August 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Can I submit original articles from my blog? If I do, will that be tantamount to plagiarism?

Comment provided September 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Hi Emmanuel,

You may submit original articles from your blog. It is not plagiarism if it is your own content. We do recommend that you avoid submitting your same article to an excessive number of places. We hope this helps!