How to Get Higher Returns From Your Articles

Four ways to help your articles grow to their full potential.

Article writing and marketing is kind of like gardening, and individual articles are like the plants in the garden. Neither process can be completed successfully with a “Set it and forget it”-type mentality. Care and attention are required to help articles (and flowers) grow to their full potential.

Sometimes you need that little extra bit of help getting articles placed in front of the right people, and other times you just want to stretch your content and share it on multiple platforms. Either way, it can be worth the extra effort to maximize the returns you’ll get from each article.

Check out this video to discover specific things you can do to get more out of existing articles.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here’s an outline of the tips from this video on how to get higher returns from your existing article:

1. Promote – Articles need to be placed where they’ll get the most exposure. Otherwise they won’t have a chance to get off the ground and they may fail from the start. To combat that potential problem, you need to make your article accessible in a variety of ways. For example:
    • The EzineArticles Widget – Post a list of your live articles to your own website or blog. Website visitors can discover your vast knowledge through the widget.
    • Author Alert Sign-Up Box – By pasting the HTML code generated by this tool to your own website, your fans can sign up to get an email alerting them the minute a new article is published.
  2. Repurpose – Take articles and use them as content for new marketing components. For example:
    • Print – If you own a brick-and-mortar business, print off your best articles and post them somewhere in your store. Visitors will be more relaxed (and impressed!) when they see the extent of your knowledge through your articles.
    • Other Components – Based on the information in articles, write informative tweets or develop video scripts. You can also use a set of existing articles all on the same topic to create a PDF report available on your website. This is one more benefit you can share for visiting your website.
  3. Analyze – Spend a few minutes viewing your article reports to see what works and what doesn’t. Then, based on that knowledge, you can re-promote the articles that are still relevant and valuable through social media and other means.
  4. Evaluate – Look at some of your under-performing articles and ask yourself, “Is the content still relevant?” If not, that could have a lot to do with why they have less impact. In this case, your best option is to write a completely new article with a varied perspective. Also, this will help you to see the kinds of articles that have the longest-lasting impacts (a.k.a. evergreen articles).

Incorporate these tips into your post-publishing routine to get more out of individual articles, and soon each article you publish will reach its full potential much more quickly.

The routine could make or break the success of your article writing campaign. What actions do you consider as part of your post-publishing routine? Leave a comment to share the process.

I post on several forums, and I revisit my articles frequently to edit. You can get word-blind…better to leave it…clear your head…go back to it. Every edit should polish your writing until it shines!

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Sandy Rowley writes:

Marc, thank you for the insightful and entertaining advice. Small business owners need this service.

Happy Planting!
sandy rowley

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Danny Younes writes:

Thanks for the valuable information. I often struggle to provide fresh content to my blog. Thanks for the tips

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Cher writes:

brilliant video Marc and good tips, thanks so much :) keep em coming

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Thanks, Cher! We’ll do our best. :-)

Even if I never used your ideas I have learned so much about an interesting presentation. Seriously, Marc.

But the truth is I have used so many of your ideas wherever and whenever I can and it makes me feel so efficient.

It takes time to understand this great information so I encourage all the new writers here to understand that with practice it will eventually all make sense

Thank you very much for the effort and creativity you put into your videos, I’m very grateful.

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Thanks for the kudos Mary Jane! I’m glad to hear that we hit our mark with being both educational AND entertaining. To tell you the truth, I think we have as much fun making the videos as you have watching them … maybe even more! :-)

Veena Furtado writes:

Hi Marc:

Really awesome article. Have learnt a lot from it.

Keep up the fab work.

Veena Furtado

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Karen writes:

Learned a lot from those tips. Not exactly computer savvy, those tips are really much appreciated. I will now take my articles and go down the list one by one, and make it a routine for future articles. Thanks.

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Okay so, you need to work on that “transition” thru space and time there. For instance maybe you can borrow some transfer technologies from the Space Federation, and use the Enterprise’s transporter beam. It looked in the video as if it was a rough transition and I don’t want you to get hurt on the job doing that trick. You really need to follow OSHA standards, much better for workplace safety (in the business category here). So, please consider all this.

Comment provided February 9, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Lance, thanks for your concern and your tips. You’re right, since I’m kinda new to the teleportation trick the transitions can still be a little rough sometimes. Thankfully I’m getting better each day. In the early days I had to wrap myself in bubble wrap before each “snap”.

William Post writes:

Right. This is like a garden with ongoing effort and care. I wish there was a way to purchase insurance, like on crops, in case things go south!

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Jeral Love writes:

Well It takes time to spread this information but i will try to do my best to follow this innovative ideas.

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Sherrie writes:

Cute dude, thanks

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Kathy Tremblay writes:

Hi Marc,
I thought the video was great! Also, I honestly never thought about looking to see what EzineArticles had for promotion techniques!

I’ve got to kick my efforts up a notch and “get with the program” here. :)

Funny how complacent one can become when it comes to writing and submitting articles!

Thanks for the “nudge.” :)
:) Kath

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 8:23 AM

WOW! Great video. Very precious tips!
I’ll try all my best to follow your tips.
Thanks a lot.

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Kevin Timothy writes:

Repurposing is awesome! This is especially true when you don’t think that you have content to create a video. Articles are a perfect script, of course, as long as you outline your video so that you don’t run the risk of it being too lengthy.

Comment provided February 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Logo Design writes:

this tips would be very useful for me! i often post article! but it didnt get so much traffic! i want more traffic on my article! but now after applying these tips m sure i will get some more! Hope that!
thanks for the sharing!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Excellent post!
The video is very good, always like those very much.
Appreciate the EzineArticles Tweets explanation.
I was unsure how the “lull” periods were handled.

Really appreciate the insights you share via the blog.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Duy N. Khanh writes:

@ Marc: OMG Marc, I have not realized that you have the *power* of teleportation :D

Anyway, nice video and information as always, I like your style of presentation.

Have a nice day!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Great article and video. Some very useful information and insights as to the direction we need to go with our blog/marketing/social media/article writing program. Did download your video for future use and reference. Thanks

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Rob, you’re the only one who can make that determination … I think it all depends on your writing and blog style. For many Expert Authors, this tool has been a huge time-saver.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Andrew Schmarje writes:

This post couldn’t have come at a better time as I have been reworking some of my articles. I like the new results performance page, and have been using twitter even more.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Karen Wells writes:

Hey Marc,
This is a great video. The information is valuable and the way you presented it inspires me! Thanks so much.

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Kathy writes:

Thanks for the fine article.

i’m going to look into that sign up box.

Maybe the video idea too.

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 7:48 AM

thanks for such a nice advices …bloggers will surely get some from that …amazing post and very entertaining

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Daniel writes:

Thanks for the tips. I really need to get going writing more articles. I think quantity with quality is probably one of the best ways to get noticed. And doing good keyword research.

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

alyssa baker writes:

This is surely an interesting way to raise your investment via articles writing. I have maintained so many blogs for information distribution, but never thought that my blogs could have been used to get me earnings. here is one of the interesting ways for getting the PLR rights.

Comment provided February 14, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Philip Skinner writes:

Hi readers posters EzineArticles fans far and wide – super video excellent information – I watched this video a few time thinking this style will have to be duplicated from now on – just boring video info clips will not do anymore I was looking through some of my 13 year old grandsons i-Phone video clips he and his mates had been taking of them all playing on their skate boards and the quality and style they had took was way better than anything I’ve attempted to do – so folks you had better get inspirational not only with your articles but also any imagery you intend to post to grab any kind of viewers attention

Comment provided February 14, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Great video Marc, each one is more progressive than the last. I love the idea about tweeting out parts of your article to get more followers, don’t forget the “#” on the keywords and the shortened link back to the full article.

Comment provided February 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Nepal tour writes:

You are talking good points to progressing in writing and getting higher waybacks.
with the helps of this video we can easily understand what you are going to describe ans what you wanna give description about, this is the right way
thanks you..

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM

used computers writes:

This is great information. I love how EzineArticles helps us grow our business and our brand. You are like “mentors” for us. Thanks!

Comment provided February 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Bellaisa writes:

Cute – although it was hard for me to focus on what he was saying when he was using the ‘geeky’ voice. It was just so mesmerizing ;) I really like the PDF idea, and I think I will be getting on that soon. Thanks.

Comment provided March 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Miami Dentist writes:

Cool video! I particularly like the “Repurposing” tid-bits. Our practice runs a dentistry blog, but printing physical articles to distribute in the office would probably make easier for most of our patients to receive. We’re looking into incorporating the EzineArticles widget on our WordPress blog, too!

Comment provided March 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Very good information and video added a more value to it. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment provided March 25, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Walter Reich writes:

Good way to have trafic to your web site.
You do have good strategies.

Comment provided July 16, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Kerrie Setiawan writes:

I’ve only just started writing articles for EzineArticles, so your tips are coming in very handy. Thank you.

Comment provided July 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM

I am grateful for the tips. I have been reading alot about how to write quality articles at EzineArticles. Keep it up.

Comment provided September 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM