Staying on the correct side of the line.
Although it can seem a little blurry at times, there’s a fine line separating great content from promotional hype.
Articles that review a product in a fair and unbiased way can provide a ton of value for the reader, so they are allowed and encouraged. However, if the review is coming from someone connected to the product in any way, the review will be considered biased and it won’t be accepted.
In this video, I’m going to focus on the line between great content and promotional hype and give some insights on how you can stay on the correct side of it.*
“DO’s” and “DON’Ts” From the Video
- Use the article body to give your original tips, techniques and analysis. Get to the point and share quickly to build your own credibility.
- Save any promotional messages for the Resource Box and your own website.
- Give recommendations for products that have worked for you. As long as you aren’t linking to the product, you can give an unbiased review that provides a great deal of value.
- Have a plan of what you want to cover in each article before you write. Stick to that outline and you’ll avoid slipping up and mentioning your product.
- Don’t use sales copy in the article body. The article body is not an infomercial, so don’t treat it that way.
- Don’t name drop in the article body. Your company, your product and your name belong in the Resource Box, not the body.
- Don’t use your company’s links in any context. Even using your company’s website as an example is too promotional.
- Don’t promote your Resource Box before it’s time. Once a reader absorbs the information in your article, they’ll be ready to discover more in your Resource Box.
You’re the expert, so show off that expertise with great content. Injecting promotional hype for a product inside an article is one of the fastest ways to lose credibility as an impartial expert in your field, so don’t do it.
Use this as a quick reference guide to staying on the right side of that line between promotional hype and great content. Then, once you write and submit your next set of high-quality, original articles, share your experiences in the comments sections below.
* Please Note: This post was last updated on April 24, 2014 at 11:48 A.M.