Exclusive Rights Defined

We only accept 100% original articles for which you have exclusive rights.

What exactly does that mean?

Well, it means that you own 100% of each article you submit and that each article is unique from all other articles on EzineArticles.com.*

The article review process is not just for grammar or spelling, continuity and content; it also contains a critical component where we review the exclusive rights to the article. We take multiple steps to ensure that the content you submit is yours. Our editors undergo an intensive training course, learning how to review your articles for exclusive rights and also learning the levels of action each scenario requires.

Although somewhat cumbersome, we know how important it is for you to be confident that you are submitting articles to a site you can be proud of. Your Expert Author status means a lot to you, and it means a lot to us. To maintain the meaning of that status, we take steps to prevent the publication of stolen content or unoriginal content on our site. Authors who rip or steal content are not ones we want to be associated with.

How To Ensure You Have Exclusive Rights:

A majority of your article must be made of your own original ideas. Content that isn’t original includes:

• PLR articles: The most common varieties of non-exclusive content we see are Private Label Rights (PLR) articles. PLR articles are not accepted nor is the promotion of them in your article content. They may seem like an easy way out when an author is in a writing rut; however, PLR articles are volatile: they will cost you time and money and destroy your credibility.
  • Material lifted from the public domain: The public domain is not a free-for-all. This is content that has withstood the test of time and while its intellectual property rights have expired or have been forfeited, the works are still attributed to the original creator or author. Don’t try to pass off public domain content as your own – this is still plagiarism! Always properly cite content and provide your own expert material to ensure your article is both original and informative.
  • Anything published by a person besides yourself: Plagiarism is an ugly thing. Taking credit for someone else’s work is one of the most detrimental offenses a writer can commit. Never, ever steal another person’s work. To ensure you’re providing your own original, informative content and you aren’t stealing, cite your sources and limit the amount you quote or cite in your article.
  • Your own article on EzineArticles rewritten: Commonly referred to as derivative content, this occurs when an author rewrites a particular topic or idea and offers no new, original content. For instance, an author writing about gardening tips has a live article on tools used in gardening and how to optimally use them. The author then submits another article on gardening tips with the same tips and tools, re-ordered and reworded. This is not original, nor is it informative – it is spammy.

Now, it’s okay to quote up to five lines of sourced material to reinforce an argument, but always consider whether your article adds anything to the discussion, or is merely regurgitating the same argument, tips or discussion. If it doesn’t, add some complexity to your argument and make the idea your own.

Some authors copy and paste entire articles from a website and insert the phrase “Article Source – [website]” in the Resource Box. They don’t deny the article is not theirs and they actually submit it under their own name. This, too, is not original content. If you are adding material in the form of a guest author, add the new author to your account and be sure their name is attributed to the byline of the article.

When using sourced material, always give credit to the original information source, whether its a research study, a news article or other web content. Properly cited material is either paraphrased or directly quoted in the article, and the citations are illustrated at the end of the article body providing: the cited author(s) name, title, article/journal/website, publishers, dates, etc. There isn’t one preferred citation method we ask you to use (like MLA, APA, or Chicago Style), but always cite the source clearly.

What other questions do you have about exclusive rights material? Leave a comment and share your thoughts.

* EXCEPTION: If you employ a ghostwriter, then you aren’t the one writing the article. This is allowed as long as you’re sure the ghostwriter is only giving the content to you and no one else.

Karen Armitage writes:

I recently submitted an article for publication, and as I had done a lot of research to qualify my points, I had referenced my sources under the paragraphs they related to. I was informed by EzineArticles to ‘remove self-serving links’ as they were not permitted in the body of the article. Rather than argue the point, that they were not ‘self-serving’ but my references, I just deleted them and the article was accepted. The last paragraph of the “Exclusive Rights Defined” article, deals with this subject and I find it at odds with my experiences of the publication process.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Zoraya Tonel writes:

I experienced the same thing on my last article published.

Roy writes:

I truly found to this unique and original site recently. I was seriously grabbed with the part of assets you’ve got here. Big thumbs up for creating such fantastic website!

Karen and Zoraya,

It is sometimes difficult for us to determine if a link is self-serving. We would hope that you would alert us to the error so we can fix it. In these cases, we note your account and we don’t make the same mistake twice. By all means… Let’s us know. We’ll fix it. :)

Thanks for these tips Seems like some people are always looking for the easy way out. If some folks would just relax and think about what they are reading, they will find there is a personal opinion inside of them waiting to express itself.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Jack Krohn writes:

I am so tired of folks ripping my content off without attribution-PITA.

think it is called plagerism-spelled LAZY.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Edward Larry writes:

I wrote an article on Googleblog the title “Slippers are Comfortable” I have asked companys if I can sell their product, But none took me up on my idea. Now how can you sell articles, Thank you.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Can you re-state your question? I don’t understand it. Thanks!

Jodi writes:

What makes me mad is that because others scrape my blog articles into their own blogs (even though it attributes my blog as the original source), EzineArticles has decided not to count that as being my own original material. It obviously originated from MY blog and I am supposed to be able to use my own original content to convert into articles on EzineArticles. I was really excited to be able to get a lot of new articles up by using older blog posts to form new articles, and then I discovered it is hopeless due to the fact that others have used my work (even with attribution). This doesn’t seem fair to me.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Jack Krohn writes:

wow I have had the same problem for about a year from two different rippers from my blog.

Here’s the answer. write your blog posting, run it thru copyscape, then submit to EzineArticles. after it is published then post to your blog-problem solved.

The only way to prevent others from ripping your content 100% is by not writing any at all. Because this is not the optimal choice, you may want to consider sending the article to us first and you can avoid this specific issue.

Also, we verify the dates the articles were published and compare them with yours. If your article was published 1st and you have that proof, we will approve yours. If you are ever in this situation again, email our support team and we’ll review it further.

Keith writes:

I had this same problem with one of my blogs. A DMCA Violation against the blogger soon had the material removed and now I include my name, copyright and a link back to my site at the end of the first paragraph on my blog posts. Then if someone copies my work everyone knows I am the author and I get the extra links back.

Susette Horspool writes:

If I write an article for the company I work for and post it on their website (or another), then redo it on my own time (yes, it’s ok with them), can I post the revision on EzineArticles? How would I handle that?

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM

No. Rewriting others exclusive rights content is not permissible even if they gave you permission. I would recommend that if you are versed in the subject matter (I assume you are) that you write articles for yourself that are different than the articles you ghostwrite for someone else.

Your focus will be to build credibility in your writing and expertise. By re-writing other content, you are confusing the boundaries and potentially your readers. Also keep in mind that re-written content is not unique content. Deliver something new and find what that is by digging into what your readers want to know.

Enda McLarnon writes:

We probably all know there are many article directories out there and many of them have different rules, which in itself causes some confusion. I also don’t think there is much we can do about that.
I think it is also well known that auto blogs scrape content from EzineArticles and other places and post at will. Many times I have seen this and the author box has simply been removed. I have also seen my own articles end up on other people’s blogs with a couple of words changed. It is probably something genuine writers have to live with.

My only irritation with most article directories is keyword density. I appreciate they want to stop people keyword stuffing but when I write an article on say “olive oil” it is invariably going to crop up in the article quite a bit.

One of life’s small things that sometimes become very annoying.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Pete Jorgensen writes:

There are people stealing my content and adding a lot of different symbols and signs breaking up the text. I’m trying to get myself established and it is discouraging to see my hard spent time being displayed on the internet attached to my website. How do I go about reporting these offenders?

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM

We recommend that you contact the owner/webmaster of the site and ask them to fix the oversight.

This will normally accomplish the end result you are looking for as most webmasters just need to be informed.

If after you contact them and no action has been taken within 48 hours, contact the site’s ISP/Host and ask them to enforce their AUP (Acceptable Use Policy). This information can usually be found by doing a WHOIS lookup on the domain name.

Excellent post. I, too, have suffered having my original articles stolen and used. The links were stripped and no attribution was provided.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 7:04 PM

nassorn writes:

Hi Penny,

I do appreciate the way you keep EzineArticles publish only the high quality articles. By following EzineArticles’ high standard, I’ve improving the quality of my writing as well.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM

chris swain writes:

Great news how to publish only the high quality articles. great post like to read more.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Dave Bradley writes:

I find it rather frustrating having created unique content for EzineArticles to find that my competition have taken my article and spun it then submitted it to EzineArticles AND it gets accepted! Then when I report it to EzineArticles nothing is done…Even when I point out a few sentences that is word for word the same.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 9:30 PM

See my response to Pete Jorgensen. Have you tried that course of action?

what if some one you know has as not told the truth about their business and is using one of your articles? And what if they are in the same business and are using your article to promote their web site and business . Or what if you just plain don’t like the way they do business

Regards, Robert

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 11:31 PM

See my response to Pete above. Ask them to remove the article if you don’t want the affiliation.

S. Eugene Cohlmia writes:

I have not tried my hand as yet allthough I am an Author. (my latest book – THE CHAINS OF ST. PETER.) but on with my suggestion: I believe if I do submit an article it will be, as I do all my works, copywritten which gives it proof grounds.
All my writings are copywritten!!!!

Pallav Gogoi writes:

Plagiarism is the worst nightmare for a writer. Thanks EzineArticles for maintaining such high editorial standards.

Comment provided February 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Richard Brown writes:

Everyone should appreciate original content and deny everything else especially copy and paste situations.
In terms of what others commented above – I also find my content all over the Internet… i guess it is part of the deal.

Comment provided February 19, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I feel that there is no easy way to write articles, but the more that you write the the easier it seems to get, although I fined that it gets harder to write new articles on a subject that you have written about before. I hear a lot about article spinning software, and I can tell when it has been used, as the articles are almost unreadable, and dont make sense, so it has to be done manually and painstakingly.

Comment provided February 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM

nassorn writes:

I agree with Wolfgang that the article has to be done manually.

I’ve tried an article spinning software once, it produced useless articles that no one will read it.

Thank you nassorn, its nice to know that someone agrees with me.

Jeff Herring writes:

Agreed – why create “article vomit” as Chris rightly calls it, when you can create great quality content that you would be proud to have your name on..?

~ Jeff Herring

Landro Deborgey writes:

Every newsletter received from EzineArticles shows me a bit more How serious EzineArticles is. I like beeing criticized because it helps improve your skill and always remember you to give the best. Thank you very much for that. I also hate rubbing people from their articles and agree that you have to submit your article to Ezine before publishing it on your Blog.
However, talking about original articles, is it possible or not writing an article about a topic which is very popular and about what many writers have already publish a lot of article ? Personnaly, I think it might be possible, if you think you bring something new about it, or help people understand things in a simplier way. Let me take an example: Can I write or not an original article on “How Google reward PageRank to Websites ?”
Please, I’d really like to have your personnal opinion.

Comment provided February 19, 2011 at 5:52 AM

In a saturated market, you have to write in volume. With that said, you can write in volume AND generate new unique content by doing your research. You will need to continuously find out what your audience wants, who they are, and test various things and find out what works. Even in a market that is not saturated, I recommend those things.

Be transparent and always over-deliver. :) Focus on what you can offer the reader (I’m not talking about sales) and the rest will follow.

zahra writes:

Why we are different.

Writing as whole is an art that is in us and we born with it. And it develops with us along with our life experience.

We decide during our life cycles to emphasis one subject or one area, for example, some of us decide to be doctors; others are teachers, housewives, politicians and so on.

So when we writing something, our intentions are to expose to others about our knowledge of that particular subject or to demonstrate our experts of it.

Also we, writers we visualize or predict things well in advance in ways that normal people could not do. Further, we usually know better the image and how to put a roadmap in sequence of actions by our writing so people to follow till they reach its conclusion or end results.

Best regards

Zahra J. Saleh

Comment provided February 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM

ana writes:

Just new here and I got some pending articles for review, hope they’ll be on live soon..

Comment provided February 20, 2011 at 4:24 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

Thanks for this blog post. So many of my students and members misunderstand your rule about “original content” to mean that is has to be on EzineArticles.com first.

This prevents many of submitting older articles from their newsletters, answers to questions, even newspaper articles, etc.

Being able to use your older content that is still timely is “Article Marketing Heaven without the inconvenience of dying.”

Go Use This Stuff!

~ Jeff Herring

Comment provided February 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Interesting points made. It’s been said many times but original content is always going to be king.

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Liselotte writes:

Good policy! “Content is king”, and so it should be unique, original, and provide interesting information.
There is enough of poor content in the web.

Regards from Germany

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Bobby writes:

Just wanted to ask a very delicate question..
Say, I have a site about SEO. I do deep research, and write a awesome article. Now, if I post that article first on my webiste, and then on EzineArticles.com, is there any issues?
Will EzineArticles.com consider this article as orignal? I am the sole owner of this article.. the difference is that, I posted it first on my website.

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Bobby, as long as you hold exclusive rights to that article, there should be no problem with publishing it on your website first and then submitting it to EzineArticles. Just be certain that your name appears the same on both versions of the article.

Bobby writes:

Thanks a lot sir… you solved a very major problem..
There was so much of confusion that it had become a complex issue..
The reply from your solved the problem!

Thanks for clarifying this Marc, I had that same question in mind. However, in this event, if I wanted to link back to my blog in the resource box, can I/would you recommend, linking directly back to the same article on my blog or to the home page of my blog. I ask for two reasons: 1- I thought I remember an EzineArticles term stating you could only link to the top level of the domain. and 2-Since anchor text is not recommended in the resource box, a link directly to the post with the same article would be long and unattractive. Sorry about going a little off subject.

Joe, what we recommend is linking back to a dedicated landing page that is part of your site. This page should fulfill the promises made in your Resource Box and be a seamless continuation of it. In other words, when your reader clicks on a link in the Resource Box, the page they come to should be exactly what they were expecting.

Here’s a great post on creating an effective landing page: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2009/08/is-your-landing-page-a-little-rough.html

Hope this helps!

Harry McLemore writes:

I had just now submitted an article for consideration. I wrote this one last year and published it on my old site. It was a site set up for me by a company using Fraud and a Scam. They denied it, but after a few months, they yielded and refunded all my investment. I had learned they changed their name about every 3l-4 months, and ended up not answering e-mail or phone calls.
I intended to submit 10 more articles here, but after reading some of these posts, I’m hesitant that either they, or some of the site (blog) readers will be using them as their own articles. As I wrote them, I kept a copy on my Word Processor, floppy disk, and CD R/W disks. These are all original posts of mine but, question is, how do you prove it now? The site is no longer on line as I let the site die an horrible death, lapsed renewal. It’ still in limbo, and not accessable to anyone but Go-Daddy. I guess my question is, should I publish all 10 now to get them on record, or once every week for 10 weeks? What say you Penny? You have my e-mail.

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Mary Segers writes:

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. I get sooooo tired of reading this CRAP that comes in the emails…article spinning, rehashing old content, scraping, and on and on and on. Why do people have to be sooooo lazy? I particularly liked the advice you gave on how to handle it when you content gets ripped off. I am just glad EzineArticles and Google keep ahead of the black (ok, I’ll admit some may just be very dark shades of gray) hatters. Love reading anything that lands in my email from you guys. Thanks again.

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Shirley Slick writes:

Thank you for all the wonderful information. I do have a couple questions. Does EzineArticles want to be notified when we find articles that were obtained by spinning or are plagiarized?

I find lots of sites with several of my articles that are all messed up, but one of these sites had EzineArticles information all over it so that it appeared that the articles actually came from EzineArticles. That couldn’t happen, could it? (By that, I mean, could a genuinely published article from here be all gibberish?–assuming, of course, that we didn’t write gibberish.)

Also, I have just found several sites with plagiarized versions of my articles. Do you want to be informed about these sites, or do you already know. I am new at this and, obviously, very naive. I actually expect people to be honest.

Since my first experience with article writing has been with EzineArticles, fortunately, I am just now learning about these other things. It does make me wonder about how you check us out initially. Or do you? Are we just on the honor system?

I spent all night contacting sites with plagiarized articles. Today I am getting responses all saying they have no way of knowing their submissions are plagiarized unless someone reports it. They will remove the articles if I supply all the URLs involved. I get the impression from many of the comments here that this is just going to happen and I should just forget about it. Or is it worth my time to work to get these articles removed from their sites?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Shirley Slick

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Shirley – To put it simply, yes, please notify us when you find a suspect article on our site. Simply click on the “Report Article” in the “Share Article” box.

Sadly, the only way to prevent your articles from being plagiarized by other sites is to submit no articles at all – the problem is too widespread to prevent it altogether. However, you can contact those sites when you find such articles and ask that it be removed. If it is not, move up the food chain to their hosting company. Continue to go higher and higher until you get satisfaction.

Rest assured we do everything in our power to prevent the publication of plagiarized or spun articles on our site. We have extensive systems and procedures in place to weed articles like that out. Unfortunately, there’s little we can do about those disreputable other sites.

William karter writes:

Comment provided March 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

So, is there ANY change to this policy as of yet?

Comment provided March 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM

No changes to this policy.

Articles must still be exclusive to your name but they do not need to be exclusive to EzineArticles.com.

With that said, we are noticing a growing trend of members submitting content designed specifically for EzineArticles.com that they don’t post on their own website.

The only thing I know for certain: Articles must always be exclusive to your name which means we will NEVER knowingly accept content that is non-exclusive rights or PLR (Private Label Rights).

Lisa Mason writes:

Excellent clarification on this important matter. Keep up the good work, especially with communicating with the authors. :)

Comment provided March 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM

blume_kerstin writes:

Same to me, I’m really impresst how much you care about yout authors. Keep on like that :)

Nikolai Blaskow writes:

The articles I will be submitting are actually on my blog site. I have there submitted five articles on essay writing (introduction, body paragraph, conclusion for an economics essay, and the rest is applied to an essay for English literature) – any sources referred to have been properly attributed and I have used the material successfully with my students and want to make it available to a larger readership i.e. not just matriculation students but college and university students as well. It is an expertise I have built up over many years.

However, I don’t want to submit this help if you feel there are too many attributions for your policy. In my view it’s a field of inquiry that requires the demonstration of how quotations are used effectively.

Nikolai Blaskow

Comment provided October 15, 2011 at 1:55 AM

zahra writes:

Do any of you have a contact with “authorsden” and if so, how do they work with regards selling books on on-line. Can anyone educate me about this organization? Or do any of you use it for publishing or displaying his articles or books writings thr.. them?
Thanks & regards

Comment provided October 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM

Mohan writes:

Thank you Christopher.
I am a new entrant to this web site and it has given me sufficient information as to what I should avoid.

Comment provided August 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Muhammed writes:

please tell me in detail, how i can write an original, unique, high-quality content, if i cannot paraphrase the keyword-based articles, how can i guarantee that i`m providing a quality and unique content at the same time?
for example i`m fond of cars, and i`m trying to optimize my website to search engines to get high traffic. but how i can get the required information for my business and when i get them, attempt to present them on my own way? to satisfy my audience needs?

Comment provided March 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM