Expert Author Case Study: Steve Wickham

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Steve Wickham, a Christian minister and Registered Safety Practitioner, with a passion for coaching and encouraging people to soar to a higher value of their potential.

Steve shares his wisdom primarily through articles in the Self Improvement category. His specific passion is divining the issues of life balance and purpose and helping others discover the spiritual person within each of us.

Years of experience online and offline in his field have helped Steve position himself as a positive force and a source of inspiration for his readers. As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Steve to share insights from his own article writing and marketing experiences.

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I submit at least one article every day (usually more than one), and I try to spread my niche into different areas. With consistent practice, I can now write on several different genres quite speedily (~500 clean words in 45 minutes).

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

Firstly, it’s my knowledge and life experience. You need to know what you’re talking about firsthand and write in a compelling way. Secondly, the use of social media plug-ins and diversifying the use of EzineArticles with Facebook and Twitter and the like with each other is really important. It’s best when people can find your articles several different ways.

3. Where do you get the most article writing inspiration/motivation?

All sorts of places. Mostly, in fact, from God revealing things in my day-to-day. The more I write, the more ideas I get. I see writing as an art form and following different bloggers (e.g. Seth Godin) helps. Reading anything direct and captivating keeps our motors running. I resolve to be inspired every day.

4. Describe your typical writing session and environment.

I write best in 2-3 hour blocks where I get to work on a mini-project, researching and wrapping-up all in that time. I have two such sessions (at least) each day. I also work a full-time job in the secular world. I write at home in my study.

5. What’s your favorite cure for a case of writer’s block?

Sometimes I’ve worried about running out of ideas, but I’ve never had serious writer’s block. Some days it’s hard to be creative. Sometimes I push myself through these; other times I do something else. If I did have a serious block, I think I’d be inclined to get inspired some way – either watch a movie or go outdoors for a walk, swim or cycle.

6. What are the main challenges you’ve faced in article writing and marketing?

Developing a readership. It takes time, patience and nurturing to do that. I don’t see any instant results. In fact, the longer it goes, at times, it’s more discouraging. But if you’re called to do what you do, best just do it! When people have liked my writing, I’ve tried to engage with them and communicate my thankfulness.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

I must admit I’m not big into overt marketing. My key strategies are just getting title and keyword selection right – that, in itself, is often a mystery; but it’s a fun mystery.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

I love the statistics EzineArticles provides. The search function is also good because I’m frequently reposting links to old articles on my Facebook pages, and if someone asks a question I can locate an article very quickly. I would continue using EzineArticles just for these, and the fact that it’s a great repository for my work.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change? (i.e. what advice you would give newbie article marketers?)

I’d structure my articles from the beginning with more subheadings. I’d also get savvy with better titles. Also, I’d better utilise keywords; I didn’t use the maximum characters until I realised that it actually pays to use every character possible. In short, do everything you can to make each article as attractive as possible.

10. Anything else you’d like to share?

I love the #HAHD challenges, and particularly the extra (200) challenge.

Steve also wanted to pass on these tips on how to improve your overall article writing and marketing campaign:

1. Write in Blocks – Set aside time to just write. Prevent all possible distractions from interrupting your writing flow in blocks of time. Maybe the block is just a half hour. Maybe it’s two or three hours. Either way, writing continuously is a key to getting the writing process down.

2. Diversify Access – Try sharing content through different social media outlets. This will give each of your articles more exposure. You can use social media plug-ins to facilitate the sharing and save yourself the time it takes to share the same pieces of information on each platform. Over time, you’ll be able to figure out which outlets give you the best results and focus your efforts on accordingly.

3. Get Inspiration from Writing – Don’t let the process of writing deplete the number of article ideas you have. The more you write and discover, the more you should be able to come up with to write about in the future.

4. Try Exercise – It seems funny that an article writing blog would advocate for spending time on physical exercise, but it’s true. A fit body is a fit mind. Staying healthy through regular exercise will help you keep your mind focused on the right things at the right times.

5. Don’t Get Discouraged – Developing a loyal readership takes time and effort. Engage in communication with anyone who shares interest in your part of the discussion, and don’t get discouraged if there are few people commenting. Focus more on the number of article views you receive.

6. Use Descriptive Titles – The title is your chance to intrigue readers into clicking on your article and reading it. If they don’t get a good idea of what the article is about through the title, they won’t even click.

7. Break Paragraphs With Subheadings – When some people approach an article with chunks of text 20 lines long, they instantly jump away from the article because the length “scares” them. Bolded subheadings give readers relief from reading those straight chunks of text.

What steps are you taking to improve on your article writing and marketing strategy? Share them below and leave a comment for Steve. He’d love to hear from you.

Dan Janal writes:

What advice do you have for writing subheads?

Great interview. Thanks for the tips.

Dan

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Thanks Dan.

I realised the value of subheadings probably a year ago. They increase visual attraction and give the reader some sense of the journey.

1. Ensure they flow with the article and aid with its structure i.e. lead into them.

2. They can be written before or after the body of the article is written, depending on the flow of your thought.

3. Make them rich in vocab, punchy and use questions.

Barbara Colby writes:

Hello Steve…..I am a new author whose book is about to be released in April, “Journey of Hope” ISBN-13:978-0-9628138. The book is spiritually based w/each chapter starting with a Bible verse quotation heading that relates to the chapter content.

I came across your case study on EzineArticles while searching the e-zine base. You said you don’t believe that overt marketing marketing is where you want to put your time money. Why?

Books don’t sell themselves. You have to have a visual & voice recognition w/the public to get your message on hope/spirituality/and strong story line out
to the public. Doesn’t overt marketing make you even more overt?
Barbara Colby
Indio, CA
California southern desrt

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Hi Barbara

Your comment is a fair one. I said that in the context of where I’ve come from and what I believe, but I respect that books won’t sell themselves… we do need to do our bit to aid their promotion.

As Christian’s, however, we’re always wary of *how* we do that.

I really hope your book goes well in the market.

God bless you

Kathy writes:

Steve,
Wonderful article – so nice to hear of someone who is writing about his passion as you are on the web! I try and do the same with health and wellness topics.

Also loved your pointers and writing tips, well done.
Kathy

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Thank you too, Kathy.

One thing I’ve grown to appreciate is the encouragement of fellow writers or people who appreciate our work. I really do love what I do.

J Chase writes:

Steve very good advice. I stumbled over some of your points on my own. Should have read this when I started.

I agree with the advice on exercise, I take a break from article writing by an hour and a half work out.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Hello J Chase

I marvel at how the mind works and is fertilised by things like our senses. The more we feed our creativity, the more it returns to us.

Steve

hi Steve,
I’m currently working on spreading a message about my business through articles. I love to write, so it’s a natural, but I really appreciate your tips. They make a lot of sense and are very clear.
Thank you!
Adrienne

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, Adrienne, for stopping by to encourage me. Best wishes for your business undertakings, Steve.

Josline Massey writes:

Steve this information is very much appreciated. I am a newbie to article writing and have submitted my first two. I will follow your suggestions and keep on the lookout for other suggestions, and or articles from you. Here’s to your writing and overall strength!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you indeed, Josline.

I wish you well on this fascinating journey you’ve embarked upon. It is blessed to write.

Candace Smith writes:

Thank you for sharing these tips and words of wisdom — they are very beneficial to me as I begin the process of building my health writing portfolio. All the best to you! God bless.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

And for you, too, Candace.

Praying more and more you’re inspired to write so as to make a difference in this precarious age for health. It’s a critical role.

God bless you and yours too

Clara Leake writes:

Pastor Steve:
I really enjoyed your article and it finally helped me decide what to focus on and write about. I’m a semi-retired RN with a very serious case of Rheumotoid Arthritis. Who knows better than me what a chronic illness like arthritis does to the body, mind and spirit. Keep the articles coming.
God Bless.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Hi Clara

Ah, yes, the power of experience and of having walked a mile in the reader’s shoes. There’s nothing more important as far as writing’s concerned, in my view, than having credibility and empathy. You’ve got both.

God bless you and yours too

akinniyi osho writes:

I really loved your tips on writing. I have been using some of the tips myself.
Another useful tip is using the 3Rs reading, researching and reflection. by reading, reflecting and reasearching topics in your niche you never run out of article idea
I found keeping a journal helpful as well and finally once you want to write just start writing , don’t worry about the typo just type..then you can come back to correct.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hi Akinniyi

Those tips of yours are excellent. Thank you.

Jill Matthews writes:

Hello Steve.
I really enjoyed your ‘interview’ article. It was encouraging to know that I’m on the right track. I’m a new author and am discovering a talent and passion that I never knew I had. It’s fun.
Thanks for your article and I wish you well.
Jill

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Thanks Jill.

What a fantastic reality that will be for you. Sounds like what I experienced. That passion will drive you through some of the bleak times ahead and it will inspire you when you have success.

Barbara Colby writes:

Thanks for your return comment. I appreciate all thoughts. I am a Christian & feel that the farther I reach out the more people I can pull-in…Christian & otherwise. Who knows if I’ll catch an alcoholic, a back slider, etc. One never knows. I keep on plying my trade with my fishing pole & hopefully my hook will catch an unlim ited number of fish.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Lisa writes:

Steve,

Great article! I have been re-inspired to get back to article writing on my passions – Christianity, Yoga, Health and Wellness. Would love to connect sometime. I would like to add your blog to my resource page on my website if that’s okay with you.

All the best,

Lisa Kneller

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Hi Lisa

Please by all means make the connections with me as you wish – all the links are on my EzineArticles page.

Thanks for your interest, Lisa.

Rosalinda Flores - Martinez writes:

Thanks for sharing Steve

and for inspiring us

A blessed day!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

And thank you, too, for stopping by, Rosalinda!
Blessings to you and all yours

Hi Steve,
Lovely article. I love to write and I have lots of written un-published material. Your advise and tips were very helpful. I would like to be a consistent writer and eventually make my full time living from it. I am a Christian and I have a feeling that God is calling me to be a serious writer. People tell me I am creative with my writing. I get lots of ideas and which I could put it into writing just likes its in my mind. I like your advise about writing in blocks. I would love to get a series of Christian Children”s book series off the ground. I do believe that the more you write the better your content will get. Its important not to get discouraged with article writing even when you have few readers. Sorry for the lengthly comment. God Bless. Thank you.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Hi Maxine

Firstly, I love lengthy comments because they can give more insight to the person…

I’m big for starting small – I hate getting overwhelmed, so I just set little task-oriented goals. It’s amazing what you’ll achieve that way.

You certainly sound like you have all your fish swimming in the right direction to be a successful writer – which, by the way, I don’t think equates to $… write for the love of it first.

God’s abundance upon you

Barbara writes:

I really enjoyed your article. I am just starting to write, have always wanted to but was afraid that what I wrote wasn’t good enough. Then the historcal group I belong to was desperate for a newletter editor. I did a couple of newsletters for them and they loved them. I struggle with it but am having a blast. I have also started to write a bit online about pet problems I have found solutions for, and hope to do more.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Gee, Barbara, you do sound inspired, refreshed and about to launch into something that will breathe life into your mind and spirit.

God bless you as you venture quietly along this journey!

Steve

Always out to improve the lives of others – God Bless You Steve!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, Lance, for the lovely affirmation. Great to be in this together with you.
God bless you and yours,

Marta writes:

Dear Steve:

Thank you for your article, which is very much educational for me since I’m not a writer, yet, though I write, and English is not my mother tongue.

May ask you, please, to explain in detail what did you mean by saying in your article the following:

“Also, I’d better utilise keywords; I didn’t use the maximum characters until I realised that it actually pays to use every character possible. ”

Utilize EVERY character possible – how, why, and when, please?

Thank you very much.

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

[Not sure if this connected to the right thread – apologies for duplication.]

Hi Marta – thanks for your query.

One of the EzineArticles videos that’s available (and many other things) speaks of the use of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) – fancy term for how articles are found on the web via smart titles and wise keyword selection.

I don’t currently use an SEO but have thought about it.

It just makes sense to take a few extra moments to use up all the characters available – to get word or phrase strings of terms (like the ones that EzineArticles suggests) that people regularly search for. I’ll even use the keyword “joy” at the end if I have only three characters left. (If people are after articles on joy, they should see that from some I write.)

I hope that’s a satisfactory answer.

Best wishes

Sofia writes:

Steve,

What inspiration! Obviously you have the discipline “chip” which I have to struggle with every day. Each time I read what others are doing with their articles, I feel compelled to re-examine my plan. Thanks for the tips – they are worthwhile.

Blessings!

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, Sofia. It’s good that you’re reading about what others are doing and you find it both challenging and inspiring.

I appreciated reading your feedback.

God bless

Steve Wickham writes:

Hi Marta – thanks for your query.

I don’t currently use an SEO but have thought about it.

I hope that’s a satisfactory answer.

Best wishes

Comment provided February 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Aqif Azizan writes:

This interview is inspiring. I do love writing, but still putting an effort to make it as a full time income.

Thank you once again for this entry. :D

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Thank you, too, Agif.

I find it amazing how much can be achieved in even ten minutes.

Best wishes

TOMAS COIMIN writes:

excellent tips and it would appear you have quietly hitched your star to your creative gene, good job and all the best.

Warmest regards.

Tomas

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Hi Tomas

I love that turn of phrase and I agree with it.

Warmest regards to you and yours too

Joe Sabah writes:

THE most inspiring list of “to dos” EVER.
Blocking out time RIGHT NOW.
Thanks a million.

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Thank you, too, Joe.

I’m really glad it helped and you inspired me with your comment. Double thanks.

William Post writes:

Steve,
You do sound like a real pro! It appears that you have flexed your whole lifestyle around the ability to stay active in writing! Good work!

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, William. What you say about flexing my whole lifestyle around writing is correct.
Take care
Steve

Yea for subheadings. They’re crucial for online web writing and keeping readers’ attention.

There’s a magnetism to your writing, Steve. Its surety and calm are very appealing and welcome.

Aloha –

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Thank you, Barbara.

It’s good to read comments about things I don’t have insight into i.e. how my writing’s perceived. Your comment I find very reassuring.

God bless

Lloyd Christie writes:

Thanks Steve you’ve given some valuable Tips, I agree writing every day makes you a more creative person, as for exercise, exercise is king – Healthy body, Healthy Brain, healthy writing… Thanks for shearing

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thanks Lloyd, for stopping by.

“Healthy Body, Healthy Brain, Healthy Writing”… that looks like an excellent article title! I’ll leave it for you though.

Sheldon Newton writes:

Thanks sir. I really appreciate your insights on writing EzineArticles. This info is real helpful and inspiring.

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thanks Sheldon. I appreciate your feedback, really do.

Best wishes

Ray Dixon writes:

Thanks for the information Steve.

I am a newbie to writing articles and blogs and have thought, how can I think of enough content to wright about since there have been so many writing about the same subject matter.

I appreciate what you have shared and will try some of your tips.

Oh ya I can use the exercising too.

Bless you
Ray

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Hi Ray – when I started out I often thought the same thing… “Ideas and things to write about will dry up one day”.

Facts are, no, as the universe expands, so does our creativity and thinking for ideas to communicate.

Thanks for prompting this thought.

Wanda writes:

Greetings, Steve! I loved the tips about writing. I am just getting into it myself and am having fun with it. Keep up the good work. Thanks again…(What do you mean that you do not have a lot of comments…I see plenty of comments here!)

Comment provided February 12, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Hi Wanda

I guess I was referring to the comments on the articles – there are about thirty now I think.

The main thing is people have the ability to comment if they feel led that way.

All my best to you

Pete Simon writes:

Steve,
Thanks for the advice. I especially like the subheading idea. I write about fitness but there is also an overlap with self-improvement and psychology.

Pete

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Hi Pete

That’s been my biggest learning I think. Adds structure and visual appeal… and, yes, there’s a huge overlap in those three areas.

Regards
Steve.

thanks steve for such a nice post …..and a million thanks for choosing such a article which motivated me alot ….

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thanks so much, Bilal, for stopping by to encourage me.

Blessings

Kathy writes:

Thank you, Steve!
As a copywriter who has written for a great company for several years, I’m so missing writing for myself and I’m desiring to publish more articles or even write a book or two. I resonate with your words and want to thank you for the inspiration and encouragement you have shared!
Blessings,
Kathy

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Hi Kathy

I’m glad you read me that way because, to be honest, I feel like I don’t even try to inspire these days. In some ways it surprises me that people feel that way…

… but, in that, God blesses me hugely through people like you.

Blessings to you

James writes:

Hi Steve:

Thanks for the inspiring and encouraging case study. Apart from the insight into your routine and useful tips I appreciated the pearl:
“But if you’re called to do what you do, best just do it!”

I think this answers many questions based around ‘I don’t have the discipline/routine’, ‘I struggle with…” etc. The soultion – if you really think something is your calling (as opposed to a job) then the directive and motivation for what you do will already be inside-just start doing! Like Nike – Just Do It !

Good work mate!

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Thank you, James.

It’s always the hardest challenge – to Just Do It – but one made a whole lot easier when we’re intrinsically motivated.

Patti Clark writes:

Hi Steve, I just got my first fiction novel published–(Angel in the Attic) I’m having trouble getting sales reports from my publisher. The book has been online since Sept Errors went through that I was told had been corrected. Do you think this will hurt my book a lot? Is there anything I can do besides pray? I’ve done lots of that.lol I can’t afford to have it republished.

Comment provided February 13, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Hi Patti

I think prayer always helps, besides sometimes the errors are bigger for us than others. But it is unfortunate that it’s occurred. It would be good to organise a review with the publisher as to actually what went wrong so everyone can learn.

I hope your book does well.

God bless you

Patti Clark writes:

Thanks Steve!

Earlyn Shuffler writes:

Hello Steve,
Thanks for sharing such useful experience with us.
You have really earned a powerful understanding of article writing through dedication to what you beleive and your cosistancy in publishing.
I write about health and wellness because of my interest in this for my own health and the health of others but I also write about other subjects related to work I do for clients who are in the tourism and real estate areas.
What would you suggest as the best approach to writing on subjects that you do not have a personal love for but have to do for professional reasons?
I look forward to your feedback.
Earlyn
PS: I am amazed that you have responded to every comment. Keep up the great work.

Comment provided February 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Hello Earlyn

Firstly, thanks for noticing that I’ve replied to each comment; it shows you’re discerning.

It’s an interesting question you’ve posed; my day work is something I know a lot about but occupational health and safety is not in the same realm as spirituality (my favourite genre).

Having said that, I’ve written articles on it, but sparingly.

Having competence in an area can help because just knowing what you’re talking about can have an impact on passion. Psychologists would say we’d be acting our way toward different thinking.

It really is a very good question.

Perhaps start by setting goals and achieve them one at a time.

I hope this helps.

Lisa writes:

Okay Steve, you are on my page. Check it out.

Comment provided February 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Hey Lisa

I like it. Thanks for adding my site to yours.

I particularly liked the light and bright look and feel and the fact that you have a unique niche – both biblical spirituality, health, wellbeing and yoga.

To someone who’s not too internet savvy, I like the aspects of explanation on the page; it’s not too link-heavy.

Great work!

God bless you

Lisa writes:

Thank you Steve!

Comment provided February 16, 2011 at 7:37 AM

www.vietiso.com writes:

Thanks for sharing Steve

and for inspiring us

A blessed day!

Comment provided February 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you for that encouragement, Vietiso.

Comment provided February 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Jose Bulao writes:

Hi, Pastor Steve!

Thanks for answering every comment posted here.

Thank you especially for the suggestion of subheadings. I hope to incorporate it in my articles.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, Jose. I really appreciate your time to call by.

I pray your writing gives you great joy.

Comment provided February 18, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Barry writes:

Hi Steve,

I find writing at the same time every day in a block is helpful. I use 6 am as the start and try hard to stick with it.
Thanks for your insights.
Best Wishes.

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Hi Barry – likewise. I’m usually writing between 5.30-7am and then again by 5pm-8.30ish.

Thanks for stopping by

John Engelmann writes:

Hi Steve
I’ve only been writing for EzineArticles for a few weeks, and have written three articles. I write about health, my passion. I have also written a few health books with my wife Dr Jill Engelmann. I don’t find article writing as easy as you do, and feel inspired and encouraged by your advice. Jill and I have just written an e-book, I Can Reverse Aging, and that was easier to write as it was documenting my journey to health. I will keep at the article writing.
Cheers, John Engelmann

Comment provided February 21, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you, John, for your honest insight. Writing books I find daunting, so we may have opposite problems to deal with.

I like to think we can be thankful for challenges; humbling as it is. I’ve been thinking that our aging society needs more literature.

Best to you both

Anthony writes:

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I especially like the subheading idea. This information is very much appreciated.

I am a newbie to article writing and have submitted my first few. I will follow your suggestions and keep on the lookout for other suggestions, and or articles from you.

Best wishes

Anthony

Comment provided March 12, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Steve Wickham writes:

Thank you for your feedback, Anthony.

Every good wish on your article-writing journey!

www.vietiso.com writes:

Thank James so much.

Comment provided March 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM

hot yoga writes:

I’ll most likely be again to read a lot alot more, thanks for that information.

Comment provided August 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM