From My Desk To Yours – 22nd Edition

By: Penny, EzineArticles Managing Editor

The Resource Box is your chance to convert your readers into customers at the end of each article. Think of it as a digital business card you pass out whenever someone reads your articles.

Well, it’s actually better than a business card because you get much more space and you can tell your audience exactly what you’re all about. If they’re enticed, they’ll click through. And that’s the goal.

There’s one problem with this analogy — your audience can’t take the Resource Box with them and act on it on their own time. This means you only have one shot to get their attention so make it count. Your Unique Selling Proposition (USP) needs to be compelling enough to get them to follow through on your call-to-action (CTA). So how do you do that?

You don’t have the space to give your entire life story in your Resource Box (nor should you try because readers are looking for content that specifically benefits them). What you place in your Resource Box is up to you, but think smart. To ensure you capture your audience, keep the following guidelines in mind:

What to Include in Your Resource Box

• Name – Sounds simple, but you’d be surprised at how many authors miss this. If you’re proud of work, OWN IT. Add your name to build on your credibility and brand.
  • Elevator Pitch (a.k.a. USP) – A maximum of three sentences that shares the essence of what differentiates you from others in your niche. Why you?
  • Call-to-Action – Tell the reader what you want them to do. If you’re offering something free, include it here. Keep it simple but know this is where you ask for the sale. “Visit my website for …”
  • Website Address – Include a link to a valid URL with valuable content. Remember your credibility is on the line so deliver them the goods! (URL form: full

What NOT to Include in Your Resource Box

• List of Keywords – It’s okay to offer your readers a main area of expertise but leave it simple. Sharing your accomplishments using a list of keywords won’t provide added value (e.g. “dog groomer, grooming, cutting and grooming you do, clipping your dog, grooming tips …”). It’s simply confusing and it’s a turn-off.
  • Your Life Story – Limit the size of your Resource Box to be no more than 15% of your total article size. When you’re deciding on what to include and what to leave out, think about what’s most beneficial for your readers to know. Ask yourself what relates to the article and go back to the basics of research. Your entire life accomplishments are well-deserved, but your Resource Box is not the place for them.
  • Anything Not Relevant to the Niche – Not all links are created equal. If you have multiple niches, a link to your sporting goods business doesn’t make sense in an article about film-making. Don’t confuse your audience by roping them in only to shut them out. Link content should deliver the same subject matter as the article. Also, articles must be in English. This means the website must also be in English. Linking to a non-English site from an article in English is rude and confusing.

Is it time for you to order a new set of digital business cards? If you haven’t done so already, re-evaluate your Resource Box and change/add what’s missing. Then, meet us back here and if you have any questions leave a comment below.

Alexis writes:

I thought i knew how to use author box but you’ve just taught me some very valuable tips in your post.

Comment provided January 27, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Amelia Rojas writes:

I have found all the reading material on EzineArticles to be extremely valuable. I have been making so many mistakes in my articles including the correct way to use the resource box. EzineArticles is an outstanding service that takes the time to not only explain how to but also the reason why.
Thank you EzineArticles!

Amelia –

It’s our pleasure. Thanks for being an EzineArticles Expert Author!

– Marc

Angela Chavez writes:

Thank you for explaining the details so clearly. This is going to help me better explain to other on our marketing team the benefits and proper use of the author resource box.

Comment provided January 27, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Vaclav Gregor writes:

This is a must read for every new member.
Personally, I didn’t know that I should put my name into the resources box.

Comment provided January 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Ian McClelland writes:

Glad I stopped off for a read, just submiited my first two articles and I guess it’s time to re-visit my “Business Card”. I too had no idea about entering my name. Have probably learnt more reading this than every artcle guide put together – thanks.

Comment provided January 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Gerard Helenese writes:

This post was very informative, precise and matter of fact. Bullets or Point form information has a greater impact on readers. Thank you for post I will definately review my Resource Box.

Comment provided January 30, 2011 at 1:01 AM

bottes hiver writes:

Thanks,The Resource Box is your chance to convert your readers into customers at the end of each article.

Comment provided January 31, 2011 at 1:29 AM

bottes hiver writes:

Comment provided January 31, 2011 at 1:30 AM

bottes hiver writes:

Comment provided January 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Joseph writes:

I found that really useful. I realise I gave it the barest of thought. And yet it is so important.

As the Irish say,”Thanks a million!”

Comment provided February 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Jeff Monson writes:

Thanks for the great information! I just updated the author box of an article that you approved today.

Comment provided February 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Sam Phillips Sr writes:

Penny, thanks for the great, informative article. You taught me! One thing… if you would make the following clear, I would be forever grateful. In the URL part of Resource Box… do I only put in my website url or do I use it with the html code also? I am learning — but – a bit confused about the above question. Thanks for giving an exact example on the above question if possible.

Comment provided February 6, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Britt Malka writes:

Hi Sam,

You can do both. Personally, I always include a formatted (active) link and a non-formatted link like this:

“If you want more great tips about keywords here, then take a look at my blog at

Sam Phillips Sr writes:

Thanks Britt,

Followed up on what you said. Works great!

Thanks again.

Britt Malka writes:

Hi Penny,

You really should add the part about the landing page to be in English to your editorial guidelines – that would help a lot of beginners, who might not have created their English landing page yet.

Another thing: My husband recently got an article in problem status. He’s still pretty new to article writing in English, but I’ve told him about editorial guidelines etc.

Anyway, the reason for the problem is according to the editor:

“Your article has been placed in problem status for linking to a page consisting primarily of advertising and/or your landing page does not contain enough informative content. In order to ensure a quality user experience, we can only accept links which direct to pages which are content-rich beyond advertising and products for sale.”

The site, he’s linking to, is a Blogger blog, where he had added a few blog posts, and then all the articles, he has submitted as well. He’s edited the articles a little, and he has put illustrations in them as well. See for instance:

And yes, he has two AdSense units on the blog as well.

Can you point me to the editorial guideline where it mentions landing pages, content, etc., so we have an idea of exactly what is permitted and what is not?

How come a blog with 12 LONG (500-600 words) blog posts is considered as a page “consisting primarily of advertising” or not with enough “informative content”?

If you could put some clairifications upon this question, we would both be happy as dogs with bones.

Comment provided February 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM

The landing page you have provided is fine. I’ll look into the article and reply to your husband privately.

There is a quality component that is reviewed by our editors when reviewing the landing page and is something that we have discussed via this blog. Unfortunately, it is not detailed in the editorial guidelines. We understand that frustration and with the many variations or ‘gray’ guidelines, it is difficult to add them without building more confusion but we are working on it.

Britt Malka writes:

It’s great that you are working on it. I understand it can be difficult to formulate such rules, without sounding like a law book :)

Thank you for your answer and for taking care of this problem.

Johnny Exchange writes:

Yesterday I submitted my first five articles for review and i didn’t use the Resource Box because I couldn’t get it to do a formatted (active) link. Can you explain how to do that. I had no problem doing it in the body, but even when i copy/paste into the RB, the link just disappeared. For now, I will edit my submissions and add a website URL instead. Good blog post. Thanks.

Comment provided March 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Prosklitiria writes:

So is there a way to submit non-English articles in your directory?

Comment provided May 20, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Only English articles are accepted at this time.

you never really know whether you are over doing your resource box, or the opposite and not using it to its potential. This guide gives you a good start and if followed will ensure your resource box has the required effect.

Comment provided October 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Elena Rogers writes:

I found your article helpful. I have made a few mistakes due to the fact I “studied” so many resource box tips. I have found they vary a lot.
I guess the best thing is to keep to the guidelines that each individual site suggests.
Thank you, it is now clearer as to what EzineArticles wants.

Comment provided October 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Petar Dugz writes:

I am informed, well said and illustrated. I can proudly say that it is not just your resource box and the tips you just provided but all of is great.

I am going back and editing my resource boxes just after this comment, Cant believe I was selling a business without giving the customer contact details.

Comment provided March 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Dear Sir,

With reference to article no.791217 recently rejected by the team of the Editors, I want to state that in the Business plan I submitted entitled : Business Plan on Recharge Cards Printing on one Terminal with many applications, I do state that reader can delete my name and replace with his/her name, because obviously some body”s name must be there as the Managing Director.

Now my question is: 6 nos. articles were submitted. Is it that all the 6nos. were rejected? If yes, What do I do? And if no, how do I continue?

Comment provided March 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Salihu –

I have forwarded your questions to our Member Support Team. They will contact you privately via email to help you resolve this issue.

– Marc

Salihu S Dikko writes:

Dear Marc,
Thanks for the timely respond.

I have more articles on the offing, but I”m afraid of the promotion infectious virus, because the previous ones submitted (6 no.) are still ground.

What do advise? Please.

My regards.

Comment provided March 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Salihu –

Our Member Support Team has contacted you via email. They’ll be able to assist you with any issues or problems you may be having.

Hi. I didn’t see this addressed specifically – I was wondering whether you have the same restrictions about using capitalization in the Resource Box as in the article. I’m using caps to emphasize my call to action. I haven’t found anything that specifically says it’s not OK like you see in the Article Writing Guidelines, but wanted to make sure before I get any unexpected surprises.

Comment provided April 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Michael –

I’ve reviewed your Resource Box and your use of caps for emphasis is perfectly fine. YOU WOULDN’T WANT TO TYPE AN ENTIRE SENTENCE IN CAPS BECAUSE IT’S CONSIDERED YELLING. However, if used sporadically, it can be VERY powerful and effective. ;-)

– Marc

I already tried to post this once and it just disappeared. Hope I’m not reposting.

Do you have any restrictions about capitalization and punctuation use in the resource box? I saw this caps usage specifically mentioned in the article writing guidelines, but haven’t found it specifically addressed in any of the Resource Box references I have seen so far.

Comment provided April 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Michael –

The reason your first comment didn’t appear is that this is a moderated blog. In other words, if you haven’t commented here before, a human being (me) has to review your comment before it’s approved and published. Now that your comment has been approved, you’ll be able to comment without being moderated and your comment will appear immediately.

And I have also responded to your other question on that posting.

Salihu Dikko writes:

Thanks for taking the pains of putting me or pointing out the rightful steps to take in order to get my articles approved. However, I’m in still in dare need of the steps to take for these articles get accepted. The team always advise one to edit and resubmit. Hope keep doing that until success comes my way.

Comment provided April 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Clifford Dillon writes:

Great information, I now understand how resource box works, thanks.

Comment provided April 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

I keep on thanking you, even if I’m out of the trouble waters. I still need the good efforts and support of the support team to point out to me on how best to get the problems articles off once and for all.

Comment provided April 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Rozy B writes:

Thanks for this article. I have just submitted my first article and was confused about the Resource Box. Thanks for the tips

Comment provided June 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Betty L Eriksen writes:

Thanks for this most informative article with its easy to follow steps. It has been most helpful for someone writing her first article.

Comment provided October 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Salihu S Dikko writes:

The blog on Resource Box is in fact a very good piece. It will make many people recover from huge mistakes, many are making on daily basis.
Initially, I used to jam park every thing in the Resource Box, but after reading some blogs, I re track my steps.
All my articles submitted so far lack website. And this is why I do not feel like submitting more articles.

Comment provided October 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

khaled writes:

this post educate me regarding resource box. i am literally new in this area. so i was getting stumble what is resource box but nw i am so far clear. it would hv been better if it would have any video content.

Comment provided January 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Daisy Bell writes:

First I have to hats of for you, you buddy have a great knowledge of Resource box for us thanks a lot.

Comment provided April 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Ahmad Shahzad writes:

Can we make some text hyper link to our website or do we only have to use the link as it is? For example, can I add something like this: “my newsletter” and then make it a link or should I only add the URL to the newsletter without the text?

Comment provided June 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Hi Ahmad,

Yes, you are welcome to use anchor text for your links. For a video featuring some quick tips on how to create anchor text we recommend:

Hope this helps! If you have any further questions please contact our Member Support Team using the Contact Us button within your My.EzineArticles account and we will be happy to assist you further.