Quick Case Study: Paula Eder

The 20th edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

For more than 35 years, Paula Eder has helped individuals and organizations achieve their personal and professional goals by aligning commitments with values. She shares her expertise through a combination of coaching sessions, teleclasses, state and national conferences, eBooks, blogs and of course, articles.

She also teaches graduate students how to develop time management concepts for successfully completing research projects.

Based on Paula’s primary niche (Time Management), it’s no surprise that she works every day on improving the efficiency of her article writing and marketing efforts.

Time Management Skills

Early on when Paula decided to make article marketing a part of her overall marketing strategy, her first inclination was to put all of her focus on generating content. Over time, she recognized how long it was going to take to follow through on her writing goals. “In a nutshell, the secret has been putting my time management system into practice for myself. As I have done that, I’ve been able to keep to my plan, as well as learn a lot about myself and about ways to adapt and enlarge my system,” she says.

She uses her own experiences to help generate new time management concepts. She notes the concepts when she comes up with them and puts them in a list of new article ideas.

By managing her time and sticking to her writing schedule, Paula rarely needs extra writing motivation. She relies on the running list of article ideas whenever she sits down to write.

She also leverages her time by plotting out her writing before she starts. Then, once she sees how much information she has to share, she’ll decide whether the content is worthy of one, two, three or more articles.

Activities to Keep Writing Fresh

When she starts getting drained after writing for long periods of time, she’ll step away from her desk and find a refreshing activity to pursue. She says, “I live on a farm, so a walk in the woods is always possible (weather permitting). If I get really stuck, what I will do is turn inward, often using a free-flowing writing technique that I have found very helpful, to try and find the logjam.”

The exercises help Paula to write and submit consistently, and that’s her current goal as she works to increase her article inventory.

Paula took some time in her busy schedule to share these insights:

1. Have a Schedule – Set expectations for yourself. Stay organized and you’ll be able to more easily achieve what you want from writing articles. There are a countless number of excuses for not producing as much as you’d like to, but with a schedule, you can make your goals realistic and manageable.
  2. Stay Refreshed – Motivational triggers are an important aspect of starting productive writing sessions. Perhaps just as important are activities you find to refresh yourself during or after a writing session. The activities can be physical (e.g. going for a walk, visiting with friends, etc.) or they may be mental exercises (e.g. a free-flowing writing exercise).
  3. Slow and Steady Wins – Produce content regularly. You’re more likely to get a steady stream of traffic by writing and submitting a steady stream of articles. Submitting articles in big groups will give you spikes in article view numbers, but those spikes may wear off quickly.
  4. Write About What You Know – It’s relatively easy to come up with article topics if you know a lot about your niche or you experience it every day. Plus, if you’ve experienced something, it’s likely that other people have experienced it as well.

Use these tips today to write your next set of high-quality, original articles for more traffic back to your website or blog. Also, leave a comment for Paula about your own time management. She’d love to hear from you!

Alexis writes:

Wow. That’s very inspiring.
I’ve learned some few tips from Paula’s success.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Paula writes:

Thanks Alexis – I’m so glad you found the tips helpful.

Paula writes:

That’s a great case study which addresses exactly the issues I’m wondering how to deal with best right now. I’m definitely going to visit yor other articles Paula. Thank you :)

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

Hi Paula

Very nice job, great tips, and very proud of you!

~ Jeff

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Deb Gray writes:

great insights Paula – thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Gary Cooper writes:

pAULA time mgt tips we can all use so much!
Thanks GARY

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 12:35 PM

hulya writes:

Great tips..Thanks loads :)

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Alison Scott writes:

Wonderful, Paula! You are a real role model for me. My best wishes to you and to Finding Time for the coming year.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Sinea Pies writes:

You are so right about taking a breather. Getting some fresh air, a change of scenery and visiting with a good friend helps a lot.

I’d add: take your dog for a walk. Seeing life through canine eyes puts everything in perspective. My dog gets a thrill by sniffing something new or chasing a squirrel! The simple things in life.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I looked at your list of articles on EzineArticles and the titles you used are so instructive. Looks like you consistently write about time management and have a consistent structure for your titles that optimizes well and fits the EzineArticles program well.

Each title starts with “time management.” Then the title describes a numbered list of a specific type of time management principles.

Well done!

It’s so helpful to see actual implementation of SEO principles.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Linda LaClair writes:

Thank you, Paula. Time management is so crucial to business success…and yet the first thing that tends to suffer. I appreciate you and the tips.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Angela Maynard writes:

Hi Paula,

Your article is very impressive. I need to work more on my time management. Especially since I’m doing so many things. Sometimes I’m really good at it. I need to take a break and stop pushing myself so much! I promised myself to follow my goals for 2011 and to stay more focused.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Larry Icabandi Nabiong writes:

Well, here is someone who is an expert on time management which am not. I really appreciate your wisdom Paula. I hope I can do the same. Thanks for the great info.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Jordy writes:

Thanks, Paula – these insights are both practical and inspiring. I look forward to incorporating them, more and more, in both my writing practice and in my life. Congratulations on being spotlighted!

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 6:45 PM

sreekumar writes:

You can keep up a schedule only if it is full time profession. Further it depends on how much importance you give to article writing. However, thanks for the tips.

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Paula writes:

Wow – I feel very honored to be featured on the EzineArticles.com Blog, and am so warmed by your comments, insights, and kind words!

Being a part of the EzineArticles.com community has been and continues to be a rich experience in so many ways. I love sharing time management information in this wonderful venue, and enjoying the expertise and energy of the other authors gathered here. What a win-win!

Thanks again, and here’s to your time success!

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Eknaath Nagarkar writes:

Hi Paula,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Eknaath Nagarkar

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Danny Younes writes:

Hi Paula, fantastic article. I have a schedule of my own of articles that I write. I keep a spreadsheet of the keywords that I write about and the scheduled time when I am going to release it. That helps me keep on track

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 9:11 PM

suresh gurjar writes:

great insights Paula – thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Comment provided January 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Dear Paula
I have my own strategy in writing my articles. At first I ask myself: Why do I write this article? Then I put the outlines of article between 5 to 7 points. The third step is starting to write it smoothly without any chains. Finally, I search for a suitable photo for my article in sxc.hu or fotosearch.com and put it in my article then submitting it.
But it is not the final. Now I go to audience chairs and read the article as a normal visitor see it. I Criticize it to develop it and make the last modifications at once.

By this way I think it is difficult to find an article better than this article.

Best wishes for all.

Comment provided January 6, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Lakshmi writes:

I liked the insights you shared…. Also the way you get refreshed by taking a walk, when you are stuck. Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided January 6, 2011 at 5:49 AM

Wesley writes:

I am restarting writing articles and your case is most interesting. Any articles, Paula, on this subject that would help?

Comment provided January 6, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Excellent, Paula! Really great tips here!

Comment provided January 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Karen writes:

Great tips. As for me, when I get stuck, I’ll just listen to some soothing music to relax, with my eyes closed.

Comment provided January 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Olusco writes:

Great ideas to take on board. I do this at times but then I get distracted and it takes a while to get back on track again, but I guess it takes working at.

Comment provided January 8, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Thanks for the great post. Time management is a fascinating issue for me and is something that i as a web designer struggle with constantly. There are always deadlines to be met and i always seem to put in more hours than i have quoted for. Any tips on more efficent time management and use?

Comment provided January 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Peg Kelley writes:

Great content.
Now the big question: how does doing all this writing translate into making money in your business? Does it? Or does it simply build awareness?

Comment provided January 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Paula writes:

Hi – I wanted to jump in with a couple of quick responses – again, appreciating everyone who has stopped by and left a comment.

First, I would say that writing here at EzineArticles.com is about sharing information and building visibility. If you have a strong belief in what you are doing and enjoy communicating/sharing it, then writing here is perfect. And eventually, the visibility can translate into making money, if that is your goal.

Second, in terms of putting in extra hours above and beyond what you intend … that is a big time management challenge. The answer is to work at developing and maintaining time boundaries. Sometimes the challenge is maintaining them with others – and sometimes the bigger challenge is with ourselves.

I’ve got lots of good articles here, and on my blog, about time boundaries. I recommend checking them out … and starting small, if setting boundaries is a new area for you.

The rewards are definitely worth the work.

Comment provided January 10, 2011 at 4:32 PM