From My Desk To Yours – 20th Edition

SPUN ARTICLES = CHOPPED-UP WORD SALAD
By: Penny, EzineArticles Managing Editor

We like to refer to spun articles (those created using spinning software) as “Word Salad.” These articles are a garbled mess as they lose their meaning after having their words chopped or changed in an attempt to display a new article.

You will find spun articles are generated manually or automatically by using software. Spinning content is an attempt to manipulate the search engines by replacing words in the article to avoid a duplicate content penalty.

These article types are ugly. They don’t make sense and they are NOT unique. So what do they look like?

Here is example of an excerpt taken from one of our recent Blog entries:

…There are a couple of very powerful ways you can share your expertise outside your EzineArticles account. One such example is placing your Expert Author RSS feed on your own website. This gives your site visitors a chance to see the extent of your expertise directly.

And here is an example of a meager attempt to spin the content and manually perform the same task as spinning software to come up with a new iteration:

…There be a duo of emphatically supreme actions you be capable of divide your know-how external of your EzineArticles record. A single corresponding prototype is standing your savvy writer RSS nourishment on your endemic website. This conveys your camp guests a fair shake to scrutinize the mass of your core competence as the crow flies.

You’re probably thinking, “What in the world did I just read?”

Avoid Giving a Bad User Experience

Spun content isn’t original content and it provides a poor user experience. Spun articles don’t offer new information and you will lose major credibility points if your readership is confused. If you are spinning from someone else’s content you may also be breaking copyright laws.

Stand Up Against Article Spinning

Commit to submitting only 100% original content and don’t let your hard work go to waste by using spinning software as a time saver. The harder you work to generate new content, the more your readers will trust you. (Our editors are trained to know when articles are spun and the act of spinning or promoting spun articles will result in an account suspension.)

NOTE: Submitting derivative/spun content is completely different from submitting repurposed content from your website or blog. You are allowed to submit content from your website to EzineArticles as long as you have exclusive rights to use that content. Spun articles are rehashed and present no new information and are not to be confused with repurposed content.

Rajeesh Nair writes:

I think all the article spinning software out there are nothing but spam engines. Anything that makes the whole scenario automated is spammy according to me. Articles should be written exclusively for real humans and not for crawlers or bots. Yes, you can definitely optimize the content but to a certain limit..

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Ruth writes:

Absolutely, well said. I hate searching for something and then finding one of these articles, or, worse yet, I hate getting these automated blog comments on my blogs.

Christoph Nauer writes:

I couldn’t agree more with you. I’m getting all kinds of automated blog comments that don’t make sense. Real comments that provide me with feedback are welcome. My blog is set up so that I have to approve comments first before they get published, which really helps keeping spammers out.

I have had the dubious honour of having my articles stolen and spun. I never saw an ugly thing until I say the manner in which my article was mangled.
It was heart-stoppingly ugly.

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Amen to that! I’ve always said, “time saved is not always time well managed,” and article spinning is probably the greatest example of this.

The misconception of the duplicate content myth, along with the notion that article marketing is just for getting back links, has really made a mess of many a directory’s archives.

So this pledge is easy for me to make. I have never used, nor never will use article spinners!

Just wish more people would read what you have here.

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM

As I am about to return to writing after the 3rd and most successful right eye full cornea transplant your non-spun article defies civil behavior. It boggles you know what that an article on the subject needs to be written? Why not publish my avatar indicating I spin articles and to avoid me like the plague. Early Salem had “ways” of dealing with such individuals. Let’s hope you never have to repeat any portion of this article especially if you have all of us “sign” a doc saying we simply will not ever, ever enter the “spin zone.”

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Penny calls them “Word Salad”… I like to call them by their more true name… “Article Vomit!”

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Mary Lee Scully writes:

You are correct Chris, to label them as ” Article Vomit ” for that’s exactly what they are in the true sense.
Penny is too gracious to call them as ” Word Salad “.
I will call them ” Article Diarrhoea “!

Susan Greene writes:

I’m happy to see EzineArticles take a stand against article spinning. I make my living as a professional copywriter. Nothing angers me more than to see an article that I researched and wrote from scratch spun by one of my competitors. They take my text, insert a few synonyms here and there, and then publish the result as though it were their own work.

I hope other article directories, and search engines too, follow your lead on the issue of article spinning.

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Ruth writes:

Yet, the first point that the creators of this type of software promote is…. “we even pass the EzineArticles test”

I often wonder, is this really true? I mean, if a software could do that, it wouldn’t be spinning articles, it would be creating articles :)

It is the same with blog comments -Some of them are so garbled they are pathetic. Truly pathetic.

I don’t think these software programs will ever go away, but, at least we know that when we get an article from EzineArticles it’s guaranteed to be of a certain quality of article – and you can always be confident to promote these articles…

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 1:15 PM

And besides the point, it’s just plain lazy! I completely understand the pressure to fulfill commitments in various places, however, I think our instant-gratification microwave mentality influences many of us to make the wrong choices when it comes to work and integrity. No, I may not make everyone’s deadline all the time but they can be assured that when they receive an article from me, it is original and IF re-purposed it is my own work.

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Jeff Herring writes:

Penny –

BRAVO!

or

“exceptional praise placed in your general direction”

~ Jeff

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I love the word salad phrase!

If you’re dead set on using one of your own articles again, there are many ways to present material that still makes sense to the reader and adds value.

Very nice Penny. Thanks!

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM

zahra writes:

Forget about articles but a complete book of mine was stolen somewhere in Asia after I sent it for publishing because it is cheaper there. Having said that, in case any of you ever come across a book called “Jealousy In the Office”, yellow colour cover book with an eye on it, please bear in mind that I am author of these book.
And thanks for brining this topic to our attention.
Zahra

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Nice said!
Agree with Eric.

Thank you Penny!!

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

leon Noone writes:

G’Day Penny,

Earlier this year I stopped sending articles to a UK based article distributor. They sent my stuff to anyone and everyone, my articles were frequently republished without attribution let alone an author/resource box and whenever I complained I was told to contact the republisher direct and “sort it out with them.” I was also paying for this “service”.

Fortunately when I first joined up with these people,
I refused to allow them to send my articles to you and maintained my direct relationship with EzineArticles.

I’m very pleased that I did.I’m sticking “with the strength.”

Regards

Leon

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 11:59 PM

sreekumar writes:

It is high time such spin doctors be penalized. Every thing is available on internet except common sense and intelligence. Once they introduce it human brain may become more devilish.

Comment provided December 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Dan Janal writes:

I’ll go one step further and call this “chopped word salad” with an homage to Wolfgang Puck and Penny, two brilliant collaborators!

I recently received an article from a client who had a programmer in Pakistan write an article about Thanksgiving. It was truly horrible. You would have thought it was word salad, but people who don’t speak English as a first language write like Penny’s example. Truly scary!

Comment provided December 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Vaclav Gregor writes:

Dan, I don’t agree with you. I’m not a native speaker and I don’t think I write some “chopped word salad” articles. What matters is your experience with the english language and your ability to use it in order to express your knowledge in a given topic or niche correctly.

Vaclav, you’re right!

There’s definitely room for “forgiveness” when it comes to those who aren’t English speaking people. The key isn’t so much perfect grammar as much as it is making an attempt.

For example I would much rather read an article from someone with less of a grasp on English with a few errors in it than from someone who merely uses a cheap translator.

BTW for someone who isn’t a “native speaker” you do rather well with it :)

Ruth writes:

Here is one of those automated vomit comments on my blog this morning…. don’t people care about the garbage they leave behind with automated systems? These comments and articles suck … they are a waste of time for all of us.

“I recently wanted to review your blog and state i always definitely liked looking at your site publish below. It was incredibly beneficial and i likewise delicious and the choice of produce! Keep writing and Not well return to learn a lot more rapidly partner”

Comment provided December 15, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Ruth,

The other problem with these types of blog comments is, you can’t even write about comment spam on your blog so that it does any good, because these people don’t actually read your blog.

I’ve even tried putting “Relevant Comments Only” above the comment box, and still I get these all day long. :)

sreekumar writes:

Ken, You are right. After all language is for communication. There are some predefined orders like grammar designed to make it more meaningful. But the most important thing is that at least the communicator should know what he wants to communicate.

Comment provided December 15, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Myself have often experienced the reaction of my cranial
circles after visually digesting the vocabulary exchanges of synonym replacements.

Spun interpretation: Reading spun articles makes my head spin!

Comment provided December 24, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Tony Clingan writes:

I can think of few things more ghastly than spun articles and to think that companies are charging $47-$67 a month to turn out that kind of tat

So I will add my voice to those who say it’s a good thing that you are taking a stand against it

When we take the time to seek out information on any given subject we would hope it answers the question we had and helps to build the picture we wish to see

Thanks for sharing Tony

Comment provided December 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

mattress writes:

most of the spun articles are just for SEO, spun to thousand and submit to thousand of crap directories, but if you write for user experience, for traffic, for brand yourself or products, avoid it~~~

Comment provided December 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Sonal writes:

I agree with you, recently after shifting my job i have experienced this, earlier I was freelancing for creative firm, now I am working for seo firm and they want only spun articles to pass copy scape , they don’t care for good, original content… I feel wasted.

Jack, writes:

I have seen these spun articles they are bad for the readers. I am new to artlicle marketing and I know giving a good article to the readers is good for business.

Comment provided December 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

ugo writes:

I really hate the automated comments on my blog. I’m glad EzineArticles don’t accept these ‘article vomit’

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM

ranjith writes:

Hard work that the original article writting always has the value “don’t spin the content”

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 4:15 AM

Rockdogg33 writes:

After attempting to read my first unreadable spun article that made absolutely no sense, I decided to never spin one of my own articles. Thank you for promoting using only original content.

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 5:22 AM

Seo Queen writes:

It is right that there are lots of people who are doing such things to submit the same article into hundreds of article directories number of times by spinning them again and again which virtually accept anything

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 7:05 AM

Pedro writes:

Interesting topic.

What can I do when I see an article that has been stolen and spun?

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Pedro, if you see an article that you suspect is spun or stolen, simple scroll to the bottom of the article to the “Share This Article” box and click on the “Report Article” link.

Pedro writes:

I know what to do if I find such kind of article at Ezine.

Sorry, for not making itclear from the beginning.

What can I do if I find a stolen article elsewhere?

I know a website whose homepage is almost the exact translation of the landing page of another website.

Thanks for the answer.

Pedro,

If you believe this website is posting your content without crediting you, I would suggest that you contact the owner/webmaster of the site and ask them to fix the oversight.

This will normally accomplish the end result you are looking for as most webmasters just need to be informed.

If after you contact them and no action has been taken within 48 hours, contact the site’s ISP/Host and ask them to enforce their AUP (Acceptable Use Policy). This information can usually be found by doing a WHOIS lookup on the domain name.

For both Blogger and Blogspot you would want to visit here:

Does this help?

Penny,
You published this article at the right time, there are lot many spun article authors fighting to sell the products with many false promise and information. They even says that EzineArticles and many other article directories are welcoming spun articles as they need more articles to be submitted.

This post clears the air

Happy 2011

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

You are right Penny- the non sensical rubbish that is churned out in perfect English is an irritation and all for the sake of getting a backlink. I am constantly bombarded with offers for spinning software that “guarantees” to make me millions. If you take pride in what you publish don’t use this type of software.

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Joe from SaN Diego writes:

The comment spam is out of control for sure. With the spun content at least it can be spotted in the 1st few sentences. I did not know that EzineArticles would take repurposed articles from my blog so I will be reading the guides again soon.

Comment provided December 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

R. Matt Lashley writes:

In English two words rarely (if ever) have exactly the same meaning.

Article spinning is one of the techniques greasy marketers use to end-around key word stuffing rules.

Which is funny because . . .

You can’t stuff your own web pages with niche specific synonyms and expect a high PR.

But . . .

Publish “articles” filled with those same niche specific synonyms to article directories or a link wheel and link back to your website and, “Wallah!”, you’ve got second-hand key word stuffing that the search engines will use to boost your PR.

The good news . . .

When publishers like EzineArticles take a stand against poorly written, malformed content and couple that with the rapid advances in search engine technology, this problem can’t last forever.

Comment provided December 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I have never used article spinners. You can usually tell the articles that have been done with them. They are a mess!
It is so good to see the EzineArticles maintains a good quality standard. It is a good service to all of us who use it.

Comment provided December 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Shirley Slick writes:

I’m new at this, but I still don’t understand why sites do this. One site has three of my articles on its 1st page with me listed as author and EzineArticles as the source, but all three articles are almost gibberish. What is the site getting out of that? No one can even read the articles, so no one can be favorably impressed with the site or my articles. (I hate that part.) I write about mathematics which just isn’t high on the SEO list. So is R. Matt Lashley (from above) saying these sites just fill my articles with their own words for this PR? (I assume that means page rating?) What good is a high PR rating if the page is crap? I’m still confused.

Is there any rhyme or reason to why certain articles get “chosen” by these sites or is it just a random thing? Is there anything that can be done to lessen the likelihood of having my articles taken for this purpose? Am I correct in assuming that if I find one of my articles spun on a site, that site is not a publisher for EzineArticles?

Does anyone have a suggestion other than whois for getting contact information on an offending site? I read somewhere that if you can’t find what you need at whois, then go to the ISP. I have no idea how to do that. I have been trying for two months to try to get my articles removed, but I can find no contact information anywhere.

I’m sorry for asking so many questions but this is all very new to me and I am very ignorant about most everything related to web sites.

Comment provided February 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM

christopher phillips writes:

I couldn’t agree more, nothing is worse than stealing someone’s content and then spinning it into an article that is utter gibberish for your own ends.

Writing unique and informative content is the way forward and always will be.

Regards,

Chris

Comment provided June 7, 2011 at 2:43 PM

SEO Lahore writes:

It’s really true that there are many of people who are doing such deeds to submit the same article into hundreds of article directories number of times by spinning them again and again which does not have much worth in the eye of search engines.

Comment provided July 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM

kari writes:

I just came from your more recent post on article spinning to check this one out. I have to say that I laughed out loud when I read the spun paragraph – and I’m in a library where laughing out loud is not something I do often! Thanks for the genuine laugh!

Comment provided August 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Maria Caniedo writes:

I am new here, at first i thought that spinning is another way of writing articles. it is just a new way of how articles made into a perfect one.But now,my eyes open wide!!!!
I will extend my heartfelt gratitude to the the managing editor here who bestowed the secret of word salad, i will try my best to do with my original works.

Comment provided December 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM