Quick Case Study: Steve Selengut

The 18th edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

Steve Selengut has built up his article inventory by using 1-on-1 interactions with real business owners as inspiration.

Steve’s passion is helping investors overcome the many challenges they face. When a solution or strategy he’s shared works for his audience, he is driven to write even more.

Steve says, “I want my readers to love the content based on their ability to understand and use what they have read. I don’t want readers; I want people to use, apply and enjoy what my articles contain. I’m in the business of helping people (in part through articles), not in the business of writing volumes of articles. When a new topic is identified that a business owner would benefit from, I write on it.” He continues, “I write long articles, sometimes up to 1,200 words, as quality of my articles is more relevant than sheer number of articles.”

Extra Dimension to his Communication Plan

Article writing and marketing adds a dimension to Steve’s communication plan. It enhances his credibility and connects interested people with his website.

“Article writing is a small part of a multi-tiered marketing plan my company uses, but an important one,” he says. Reading and writing articles also helps Steve to keep abreast of the hot topics in the field of investing.

“Mother of Improvement”

In addition to the writing direction Steve gets from his real business relationships, he also treasures feedback he gets about the impact of his existing articles. “I like seeing the number of new readers, and I like the [monthly reports that] come through by email.” He continues, “These give me an excellent idea as to what the responses to articles are. Feedback is the mother of improvement.”

Statistical data for each existing article, like the click-through rate, gives Steve ideas on how to focus his efforts. It gives him ideas for what to do, and what not to do, in the future.

Steve passed along these (5) tips for improving your article writing and marketing in the future.

1. Focus On Quality – Don’t set out writing an article with the goal of writing to the minimum word requirement and just have your article accepted. Instead, have the goal of sharing quality content that’s truly useful to your target audience. The small time investment to make the content great is sure to pay off.

2. Exponential Power of Great Content – If every one of your readers loves the information you’ve shared, think about what happens when that initial group of people passes on your content to other people they think would be interested in it. The Internet is all about sharing and that pass-along factor plays an important role when the content is great.

3. Think Like Your Target Audience – What types of challenges do they face in their everyday life? If you can answer that question with a list of challenges, use that list of challenges to write a whole set of original articles. This is a quick way to write articles focused on topics that your target audience is looking for.

4. Use Available Data – Investigating the article analytics reports on your account can give feedback on exactly what strategies are working for you. It lets you see how many people are actually influenced by the information and it can give you the beginnings of a road-map to your future writing plans.

5. Share With Others – Getting more people to see your articles increases your chances the article will be picked up and republished on other sites. When an article gets picked up, it creates one more access point for that information, and that can really help your traffic.

Use these tips today to write your next set of high-quality, original articles for more traffic back to your website or blog. Also, leave a comment to share one or more of your “Do’s” and “Don’ts” for article writing.

Scott Rogers writes:

Great article with very good advice on article writing. I do wish, however, that EzineArticles would pay a little more attention to tip number 1 in this post. I concentrate on the topic of fishing, since that is what my website is all about. I have read most articles on EzineArticles on the subject, and there are some good ones written by very knowledgeable authors. On the other hand, there is a large number of articles about fishing that are absolutely terrible. These articles were obviously written by people who have never held a fishing rod and know nothing about the subject at all. Then they will take one of those pitiful articles and “spin” it over and over. You can imagine the result…senseless garbage is a good description. Why does EzineArticles continue to publish these collections of worthless, unintelligible jibberish?
It would benefit everyone if those “authors” would read this article.
Just my two cents worth.
Scott Rogers

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM

We’re purging members and articles by the thousands who submit spun content.

…but do we catch them all? No.

I can tell you that we are hyper committed to keeping highly derivative content out and that our internal systems are improved every single month to address this challenge. Know that we’re going to continue solving it and each month/year forward, you should expect to see fewer articles that appear to be software rewritten.

PS: You can also use the REPORT AUTHOR or REPORT ARTICLE tool to tell us or tip us off that a competitor is submitting nonsensical article vomit that our dual-editor approach to review missed.

Hi Steve,
I have just started writing articles, it is great to be able to enjoy what I am learning and to read information such as yours to help me grow and provide better information. Thank you and have a great day.
Patricia

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Steve Selengut writes:

Thanks, if you are a Linked In member, please send a connection request.

Steve

Susan Greene writes:

Steve,

You have an impressive body of work. Just wondering, do you also publish the articles you write for EzineArticles on your own websites as well? Do you publish them on other article directories too? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Steve Selengut writes:

Hi Susan— if you are on Linked In, please send me aconnection invitation.

I submit my articles to as many people, places, blogs, and lists that I can — but I usually run out of time or get sidetracked on something else.

If you search Steve Selengut articles you’ll see the variety.

Steve

Daniel writes:

I have really enjoyed your articles.I agree with you that the exercise is about coming up with original content articles to help readers.We shall seek to improve on these articles with time to help our readers obtain high quality info.

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Krishnan writes:

These are indeed excellent tips. One area where more statistics would help is the length of the article. This is something that is debated quite a lot. As per my own experience, writing very long articles brings down the click through to your own site. Long articles do help from a SEO perspective, however the number of people reading the whole article and clicking the resource box gets reduced drastically (based on my own experience). It would be great if EzineArticles.com can come up some kind of case study / data on this subject.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 12:08 AM

EddieTodd writes:

As a new contributer and my first article just apporoved I find articles like this are indeed fantastic training material and I bookmark the page for reference at a later date. Great article – thanks.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 4:50 AM

David Dro writes:

I am an experienced, out of the box social worker and life coach. I am trying to find my way into the virtual world which includes blog and article writing.
I am not yet making my mark in the blog or the article writing. I’ve got plenty of explanations for this…..
This article is helpful in getting me organized in a positive direction. Thanks.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 5:57 AM

sreekumar writes:

Blessed are the people of this generation, that they have a good medium to express their ideas and share it among the readers. I often remember about days you had to forward your views in printed media like newspapers magazines etc. to communicate. See how easy it is today but to take advantage you have to follow the procedures. Thanks.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Sean Breslin writes:

That was useful Steve, the five point list was the best feature of the article for me… especially point 3.

Sean.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Maria William writes:

True. I also think it helps a lot to get your feet wet in the area of your articles. Otherwise, they simply sound written in “third person” with insufficient credibility.
Thank you.

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 8:11 AM

zahra writes:

Where could I sale my articles. Please let me know.

Thanks
Zahra.raho@hotmail.com

Comment provided December 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Scott Rogers writes:

@zahra – You may want to check out Yahoo’s Associated Content, which is part of the Tahoo Contributor Network. They have a couple of ways that you can earn money from your articles.

Kevin writes:

Steve…
Thanks for the excellent tips. I still have a long way to go in the article process and every little bit of information helps.

The problem here is that all the best courses for guidance on article writing are way t expensive for me to enrol in.

Tips like this are always useful.

Kevin

Comment provided December 12, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Dale Heil writes:

I am glad to have the “Title Suggestions” tool that EzineArticles offers because it helps keep topics fresh. I write about diet and health which is very repetitive information (How many different ways can you advise people to eat fresh vegetables to stay healthy?) so suggested titles helps stimulate ideas on how to “spin” this same message for different audiences to meet their needs. If you are not using this tool you may want to look into it.

Comment provided December 13, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Jason writes:

I can see how content from article spinners can be problematic for article directories! I can also see how the web marketers are people from all over the place and will use anything to get what they want.
Yet, nothing stands out like a good piece of writing with original content.

Comment provided December 24, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Zahra J. Saleh writes:

Dear Mr. Steve,
I always find interesting anything that relates to business and money issues. And I particular found logic where you have mentioned (1to1 oricedyes ir ckeab balance sheet). I wonder Mr. Steve if that is ever possible and if so, how do you maintain it ?

Best regards