Expert Author Case Study: Robert Henry Schwenk

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Dr. Robert Henry Schwenk, a full-time life coach with 38 years of experience and several books to his credit.

Robert (a.k.a. Dr. Bob) writes articles about the meaning of life and happiness based on a lifetime of experiences of helping real people. According to Dr. Bob, everyone is unique and can find the meaning of their lives through the process of being happy.

Article writing and marketing is a way for Dr. Bob to share bits and pieces of the knowledge he’s gained from interacting with countless people. Ideas and mental exercises that work are turned into articles.

As a part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Dr. Bob to share his own thoughts on article writing and marketing.

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I have nearly 40 years of work in the real world with real people who are trying to find happiness. Studying through that entire period of time has kept me occupied as well. Also, I am used to writing because I needed to produce and deliver a speech at least once a week.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

My secret to article writing is simple: I set myself a goal (three articles per week, no matter what) and fulfill that destination. [I] pay attention to the reports that EzineArticles gives [me]. I found a niche I didn’t know existed by observing those reports.

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

There are three motivating factors for me:

a. Most importantly, I want to share what I have learned and experienced with others who need that information.

b. As I continue to study, I find more and more ideas that people might like to have to help them with happiness.

c. I would like to make a little extra money.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

As I continue to study, ideas keep leaping off the page at me and they say to me, ‘Share this with those who are searching.’ It is the ideas themselves that decide for me what I shall write about.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

I learned long ago that I, or any author, will rarely get everything exactly perfect. So I draft, redraft and then publish. If I waited until everything I wrote was perfect, I would never finish and publish. Folks might miss something they need. Also, limiting myself to three articles a week allows me time to digest what was written and what’s about to be written so it doesn’t grow stale.

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

Almost all traffic I have comes through EzineArticles. It takes time for a blog to be found usually, but people are searching EzineArticles all the time for material relevant to their needs.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

At this early stage in my marketing “career,” article marketing is easily two-thirds of the plan. It’s something I can do consistently, people can find consistently and hopefully, people find useful consistently.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

The EzineArticles tools I like the most are these: keyword suggestions, recently selected categories (helps keep me on track) and the staff at EzineArticles. I have felt, if not seen, their guiding hands occasionally helping me along. I believe that someone on staff kindly put an article of mine in a better category than I had had it in. I also very much enjoy the continued education that EzineArticles offers all its authors.

9. Anything else you’d like to share?

Here is a summary of Robert’s thoughts and his advice for newbie article marketers:

1. Write From What You Know – There are people out in the world that can be helped by your expert knowledge. Give them what they want! Write articles based on things you know.
  2. Use All Resources Available to You – Get as much as you can from the available EzineArticles educational materials. That includes email newsletters, Blog posts, the email training series and EzineArticles on Facebook and Twitter.
  3. Set Goals – Set yourself up to do “X” articles per week and stick to it. Writing a certain number of articles every day or week will put you on a path to be consistently producing more content for your article inventory.
  4. Seek the Help of a Mentor – Find yourself a mentor, and learn about article marketing from them. They can put you on the road to success.
  5. Never Stop Learning – Keep your mind open to learning new things that you can share in new articles.
  6. Tap the Resources of EzineArticles – Their guiding hands will undoubtedly help you along the way.

Use these quick tips to write and submit your next set of high-quality, original articles. Also, leave a comment for Dr. Bob and share one of your own tips.

All of these are excellent commonsense ideas, the pity with common sense is that it ain’t that common.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Alexis writes:

What a rich experience. I enjoyed reading it thanks Roberts.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Roxette writes:

Thank you for the rich insights and sharing. I appreciate the knowledge and expert advice.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Elizabeth writes:

#9. I learn as much about myself, and for myself, as I do for my readers when I write articles.

Since I help many others with their genealogy, at no cost, I write articles to learn more about the subject. Thanks for tips.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM

PTC writes:

Finding the most encouraging reasons is the most important aspect to write frequently. Now, sometimes the motivation is not there, then is when setting a goal comes to help.

And the best way for finding more ideas is studying
and reading other people. Thanks for the article!

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Sinea writes:

Being consistent in writing is such an important goal. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

sreekumar writes:

Fixing target for submission can affect quality of articles

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Tyler Deardon writes:

Wow I was doing a search on google for site: -expert and only got less than 100 pages. Which means out of all the thousands of webpages on EzineArticles there is only 100 that don’t contain the word expert. Interesting eh?

Which brings me to my next point. Thats how I found this blog. I didn’t even realize EzineArticles had a blog.

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM

In that case, WELCOME! Please make use of the treasure trove of information we provide about article writing and marketing. You’ll be glad you found it! :-)

Hey Colonel, thanks for the tips!

Comment provided December 29, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Thanks to EzineArticles for giving me this shout out Thanks to all who made comments. I appreciate the attention.

Comment provided December 30, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Hiram "Mayor" Evans writes:

Great tips, Robert!
Now my writing life should also be far better as I following these tips.
Robert’s advise and thought # 9 is a great piece of infomation. When we all seek to share, we do find that we grow. The interesting point is that when we honestly seek to share, we look for ways to do that better and without knowing, we grow as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Hiram “Mayor” Evans

Comment provided December 30, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Wayne Holloway writes:

Great comments, Dr. Bob.

Your recommendations are simple, yet practical.

Comment provided December 30, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Karen Van Riesen writes:

Great ideas, Dr. Bob. I too am a life coach and and am always learning from others and gaining new insights. I need to write them down quickly, because I heard that inspiration dissipates in about 10 minutes if not acted upon in some way – even jotting down a sentence or two. I am going to set a goal of two articles a week as well and try to stick to it.

Comment provided December 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM

God to hear from you. I, too, forget my ideas very quickly if I do not write them down. To that end, I always carry a writing instrument and 3×5 cards.

Wally writes:

Thanks so much Robert for these wonderful tips. Your experience motivates me to continue trying to improve my article writing skills. I will definitely keep these points close at heart.

Comment provided December 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM

You are most welcome to the tips. Keep writing and submitting.

michael budu writes:

Dr. Bob thanks a lot for alerting me on how i can always be on the track of benefiting from article marketing.

Stay bless.

Comment provided January 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM

You are Welcome. Keep at it.

Comment provided January 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Jose Bulao writes:

Thanks, Dr. Bob for the tips.

I just have a question. Why did you say “Almost all traffic I have comes through EzineArticles”?

Does this mean that you do not submit your articles to other article publishers, like ArticlesBase or ArticlesGo?

Comment provided January 19, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Hi Jose: I get traffic from my blog, Twitter and Facebook. I do not submit article anywhere else – EzineArticles is the article-home for me.

Comment provided January 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Jose Bulao writes:

Thank you, Dr. Bob, for your very prompt reply. I have a Twitter and Facebook account. But it seems I do not get much traffic through them. Maybe I just do not know how to use them.

Again, thanks very much.

Comment provided February 16, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Ariel Frost writes:

Thanks for all the great tips! I will definitely have to apply some of these on my next project.

Comment provided November 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM