Expert Author Case Study: Sam Manfer

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Expert Author Sam Manfer, who uses his personal experiences, along with humor and stories, to show salespeople how to implement his own sales strategies and tactics.

Sam has coached and trained salespeople all over the world. From his experiences, he wrote a book titled “Take Me To Your Leader$,” and he continues to write articles in the Business niche.

As part of our Expert Author Case Study series, we asked Sam several questions about his article writing and marketing experiences.

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

First, my experience – twenty-five years of corporate experience as a Business Development Manager, Sales and Marketing Vice President and President of two companies.

Second, my sales training – studied under Steve Heiman of Miller Heiman, where I became a certified seminar leader, and conducted hundreds of selling seminars. I also studied under Wilson Learning where I became a certified seminar leader and conducted seminars.

Third, my speaking, seminar leading and consulting experience – fifteen years conducting hundreds of sales seminars, keynote speaking at sales meetings and consulting with clients. I’m also a Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) from the National Speakers Association.

Fourth, my consulting experience – I have worked with hundreds of companies to improve their sales, business development and go-to-market strategies. Also, I’m the author of a popular selling sales book, “Take Me to Your Leader$.”

Finally, I write, produce and conduct my own selling and sales management seminars.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

Article writing, for me, comes easily. I use my daily experiences selling myself and the experiences of others trying to sell to me. There’s a wealth of stories and tips in this alone.

I also use my daily consulting experiences. My clients run into a host of problems and need advice in a variety of different areas in the sales and management field. This, again, gives me a whole host of topics to discuss in articles.

I also use topics from my books, manuals and seminars. So, there really is no secret. It’s just using all the available information I’m constantly exposed to, and turning it into a story, strategy, tactic and/or technique that’s outlined in an article or video.

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

Motivation is easy. I’ve noticed that when I write and publish articles, the traffic to my website picks up, as do my sales. When I don’t write, it drops off. So, article writing is a no-brainer.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

I use my daily experiences and topics that I teach and coach. This provides me a wealth of article information. Eventually, I hope to broaden this into a related area of personal development, and an unrelated area of gourmet healthy cooking. Again, in both areas I have a lot to say and a lot of material.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

This is a difficult balance for me. I feel my quality is very good from the feedback I get from various sources. However, I have trouble keeping it short. I feel I need to explain the concept, outline the difficulties and use an example to get the point across. This takes me usually into the 1,200-word realm. I’d like my articles to be 500-700 words.

So, I guess my advice to myself is to narrow my topic/concept, or make the article less detailed and encourage people to ask me for more detail if they’re interested.

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

EzineArticles has been a great lead generator for me. I use Google Analytics and I see the traffic that’s generated from EzineArticles.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Article marketing fits beautifully into my marketing plan. At this point in my life, 90% of my marketing plan is what I call passive marketing, which article publishing is a part of. It provides a venue for people to get to know me, trust me and hopefully buy from me.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

I like that EzineArticles ties into my Facebook, Twitter and even updates Squidoo. I don’t think I use nearly as many of the tools available from EzineArticles as I should. They could probably help me with lead generation appreciably.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

If I could start all over again, I would become an M.D. because I like fixing people. But, as far as article writing and marketing, I feel good about my approach into this field. If I can afford it, I’d like to hire someone to do all the technology work and submissions.

10. What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

My advice to newbies is to write from the heart. Tell your story, use your experiences and your ideas, and you’ll never run out of things to write about.

11. Anything else you’d like to share?

I need to learn how to write shorter articles because people prefer short reading. However, as they say, “You can write 30 pages in 3 hours, but it takes 30 hours to turn them into 3 pages.”

Here are 5 quick tips from Sam:

1. Write From Your Heart – Be personal about the information you have to share. Tell your story. That’s the best way to build credibility and a real business relationship with your target audience.

2. Use Everyday Experiences – Whether your work is related to your niche or you’re just really passionate about it, you live inside that niche every day. Generate articles based on your own experiences and be open to your next great article idea at any time.

3. Keep Individual Articles Focused – If you stay focused on the topic you want to cover, you’ll be less likely to stray from your main message. When you are passionate about a topic, it’s quite easy to write a 1,000+ word article in a short period of time, but the length may cause you to lose focus on the main message. In that case, you might be able to break the article up into multiple parts.

4. Tie Your EzineArticles Account To Your Social Media Accounts – Social media platforms are great ways to share your expertise with your audience. It helps to build the amount of followers or friends you associate yourself with.

5. Build Your Credibility – Writing articles is an effective way to build credibility. It’s a platform where people can get to know about you. With enough credibility comes a special kind of trust. Without even having a face-to-face meeting with them, you can reach out to your readers and help them make good decisions.

Use these quick tips to write and submit your next set of high-quality, original articles. Also, leave a comment for Sam and share one of your own tips.

Frankie Cooper writes:

This is awesome advice.

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Hiram "Mayor" Evans writes:

I like the way that Sam laid it out and I found the information to be very helpful.
Thanks EzineArticles for doing this piece.

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I enjoyed reading your article. Sounds like it comes natural to you, and from your heart and good advice about doing a marketing technique that comes naturally. Thanks.

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Thanks for your tips and advice Sam,

I agree with you that all writing should come from the heart. Staying on the topic can be a bit tricky as well. There is so much to tell!
To keep myself on track I break it down into 3 parts and refer to it as I go along.
Thanks EzineArticles!

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Jeff Herring writes:

Congrats Sam – proud of you!

~ Jeff

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Marta writes:

This article is very informative, helpful, well written, and helps gives a lot of ideas related not only about writing well, but how many benefits you get from it.

Sam, could you do me a favor, please, by sharing an advice on what could be the similarities in the way of writing and thinking about an article on health and a health book writing that is about health and eating habits?

What is the best way to see its structure and keep it short and concise, whereas you can talk about benefits of just one vitamin for at least on 30 pages – but I would rather keep the entire book within maximum of 250-300 pages?

Thank you very much. Marta.

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM

marjone jones writes:

Hi, Sounds like it comes natural to you, and from your heart and good advice about doing a marketing technique that comes naturally.

Comment provided November 17, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Sean writes:

Tying articles to social media accounts… was a good tip! Thanks Sam
I pulled out a few more tips, but I liked that one best.

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Pearl Escapes writes:

Thanks Sam,

Great advice – I particularly like the points about keeping it short and 100% agree on the editing process. I remember one famous quote of an author apologising for sending a long letter to a friend “I’m afraid I don’t have time to send you a short letter.”

The one tip I would add is on choosing the topic of your article. I have so much material it’s hard sometimes to pick what to work on as an article – and my best tip is to choose whatever it is that you find yourself talking about to friends most often. What is the thing that you are always being asked about… because often that’ll be the subject with the biggest audience!

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM

You article about Sam Manfer give me spirits and inspirations for writing much more. Thanks.

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 2:25 AM

akin odunukan writes:

some lovely pieces of advice.tying stuff to your social network sites is a good one,and the one on writing from your heart simply made my day.God bless you.

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Elanie writes:

I’m new to article writing and this was a great help. Thanks for sharing. The best thing I’ve learnt from this is the info about the length of the article and that you must just write from the heart.

I suppose, it’s now just to make that firts move and get going!

All the best!

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Willa Boykin writes:

Thanks Sam

I sometimes forget to tie my articles to the social media. I am able to say with writing what I am learning to say in speaking. This is the talent that I have discovered when ask to just write it down.

Willa Boykin

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM

Charlie Leo writes:

This is an excellent guidelines for newbies in article writing. Thanks a lot, Sam!

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Present Ideas writes:

Thank you Sam for the useful tips.

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Sylvia Morice writes:

Great post with lots of useful information for anyone writing articles…love your 5 Quick Tips!

Comment provided November 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

sreekumar writes:

Hi Sam! I read the article with utmost interest and could really follow your difficulty to be concise and restrict your articles to 500 to 600 words limit. When you are rich with resources it is quite likely there would always be an overflow.

Comment provided November 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Wally writes:

Great post, I agree with you Sam, limiting your article to 500 words was a difficult task for me too, which I am getting much better in practicing and implementing this, I have the same opinion also about the importance of Social Media, since I started linking their accounts to some of my Web-Pages content, and article posting, I realized first hand the increase of traffic to my website.

Comment provided November 20, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Kathy writes:

Thank you Sam, your articles very useful and gives me a lot of inspirations.

Comment provided November 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Vazhakodan Govindan writes:

Thanks for the interview with Sam. Great to know more and how to make use of it.

Comment provided November 23, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Dean writes:

Congratulations on a distinguished career path. Not all of us will have the kind of opportunities and exposure that you need so thank you for sharing your skills and knowledge.

Comment provided November 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM