Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Expert Author Madan Singh, who uses his experiences in both the private and public job sectors to work through challenges in his writing.
Madan is a well-traveled Indian Air Force veteran and former leader of several multinational groups.
He started writing for EzineArticles in 2007 and uses his vast array of life experiences to direct his writing.
As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Madan to share his thoughts on article writing and marketing.
- What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?
Well, frankly, all professionals are the same. The hallmark of a professional is knowledge coupled with hard work. I presume these are the qualities that I have developed in abundance. Having spent a considerable period of time in the Air Force, where a mistake made in the air is unforgivable, I have developed this concept of trying to be a perfectionist.
However, I will state that the learning stage is never over. I recollect Acharya Vinoba Bhave, the Bhoodan leader, learning Japanese at the age of seventy. I learn and get inspiration from such people and use it to further hone my skills for readers of EzineArticles.
- What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?
I don’t know if I have any secrets in this aspect. I follow the simple principle of trying to write what an average individual would be interested in. Hence the writing, in particular the language, must be down to earth. The prose should be simple and easy to understand.
Above all, I do make an effort to connect to the reader and try and understand what he would be looking forward to reading. Also, I try to create an interest in the subject so that the reader asks for something more on the subject he has read.
- How do you stay motivated to write articles?
Motivation is something one can’t get away from. Right from the soldier on the battlefield to the writer, motivation is the secret to success. I really have never been short on motivation.
I also follow the writings of the greats in English literature and try to remain motivated like them. What awesome motivation must Leo Tolstoy have to complete a novel like War and Peace. Motivation for me is a natural corollary to my writings. The greatest satisfaction is to see them published so that thousands read.
Also, when writing, I keep my mind uncluttered from mundane daily chores and concentrate on what I am writing.
- How do you decide what to write about?
This looks like an easy enough question. As far as I am concerned, I do not make any pre-selection of a topic. When I sit down to write, I let my mind roam like a bird and close my eyes. I do, of course, keep a list of topics in front of me as publicized by EzineArticles.
Within the constraints, I select a topic and decide to write. I do make use of my experience and, in case I need some information, I either surf the net or visit the local library. I also keep in mind what could interest the reader. Once I am clear in all these matters, selecting a topic is easy.
- How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?
One of the hallmarks of service writing in the Air Force was brevity, logic and meaning. Tell what you want without being verbose and write in a language a reader can understand. Hence, what topic I write on has a bearing on quantity. At the same time, if I can convey something in a few sentences, then a paragraph is obviated.
My aim in all my writings for EzineArticles is to write consistently good English and convey what I have to in a shorter way. But, again, the aim is to educate and entertain the reader and that is the hallmark that dictates my writings.
- How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?
Tremendously. That is a one-word answer. There’s no doubt that recognition from all over the world has poured in since I started writing for EzineArticles. It’s great to receive emails from places as far away as Slovakia and USA.
In addition, when I refer that I write for EzineArticles, it adds to my clout in the field of writing and marketing articles. It is a very satisfying experience.
- How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?
An article must be marketed. The idea is that more and more people read your articles and get to know you. EzineArticles, with its link up to social networking sites, is a great help and furthers my traffic.
- What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?
There are many EzineArticles tools that can be made use of by a writer. I use a lot of them and I find they are extremely beneficial. The spell check is one such tool. Though you may have done a spell check earlier, this tool gives a finishing touch to your writing. The word count and summary is another beneficial tool. I know how much I have written and how the synopsis will look to the reader.
In addition, the analysis of your article, like the number of visitors who have read your article and comments, if any, certainly give me fillip and I know where I stand. The monthly analysis of the traffic and keywords is another tool that’s a great help.
- If you had to start over again, what would you change?
Well, life goes through a complete circle and one can look back and feel that maybe there is something I could have done better. I do feel that perhaps I should have written more for EzineArticles than I have written.
- What advice would you give newbie article marketers?
I would advise newbie article marketers to think deeply on what you have to write and how it will be accepted by the reader. I would advise to remain abreast of the latest developments and incorporate them in your writings.
Stay focused and learn at every stage. Learning is a never-ending process – always bear that in mind.
Lastly, never write to hurt anybody’s susceptibilities and make it a point to give pleasure and information to the reader. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be critical, only balance everything for the common good.
- Anything else you’d like to share?
Yes! One small point which a writer must keep in mind is to go through what types and topics are the most read. Keeping that in focus is a good idea to build your articles around the most-clicked topics. You can’t go wrong there.
Here are 6 lessons from Madan:
- Never Stop Learning – There’s no age limit to the education process. As we get older, it may seem to get more difficult every year to get inspired and interested in new things, but that inspiration keeps life interesting and it makes writing easier. Writing for the internet means you need to be constantly evolving and sharing new thoughts, ideas and concepts.
- Write About Your Interests – If you have a personal interest in the subject matter you are writing about, it’s a lot easier to understand where the common reader is coming from when they find your articles. You need to write the articles for those people so they get the most out of your insights.
- Look For Your Own Motivation – Everyone needs motivation sometimes. Whether you read the works of other great writers or you just really enjoy helping others with your ideas, we all have times that we need an extra push to get into the writing process. Don’t be hesitant to use yours.
- Shorter is Usually Sweeter – Try to convey your message in the way that is shortest and easiest to understand. Many writers drag on in their writing with what they are trying to communicate and that typically only scrambles the message. What sets good writers apart is the ability to revise long-winded portions of text into more succinct nuggets of knowledge.
- Stay Focused – Set goals and stay focused on them. Develop the best possible conditions for you to succeed and keep yourself in that environment for as long as possible. The environment will help you stay focused and make any goal reachable.
- Be Positive – Negativity in article writing and marketing won’t get you anywhere. You are providing insights in your area of expertise. Don’t use the platform to hurt anybody’s susceptibilities. You can be critical of ideas, but be sure to think about the common good whenever you write negatively.
Use these lessons today to write your next set of high-quality original articles. Also, leave a comment for Madan on anything he has shared. He’d love to hear from you.