8 Steps to Writing and Submitting Your First Article

This post was updated on May 8, 2012 at 2:24 P.M.

If you’re new to article writing, you might be feeling a little overwhelmed and looking for directions on how to get started.

The thought of starting an article writing and marketing campaign may seem like a daunting task, but if you take it one step at a time, it becomes much more manageable.

In this video, I’m going to share an 8 step process for writing and submitting an article. Whether you are sitting down to write your very first article set or you’re an article marketing veteran, this process can help you come up with great article ideas and work through writers’ block.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here’s a recap of the steps from the video:

1. Choose a Topic – Think about the niche or market in which you have experiences. Remember that article ideas are everywhere, so embrace the niche you’re writing in to find ideas.
  2. Develop a Title – Have a working title in mind to help direct the flow of the article. It may or may not be the final version of the title if you find new information you’d like to share while writing.
  3. Create an Outline – Build the main points of the article and supporting details. The outline doesn’t have to be completely written out. In fact, it could just be something you are visualizing in your mind.
  4. Write an Introduction – An attention-getter is a great way to start an article. Think about why your audience will find your content relevant and what will hook them into reading the entire article.
  5. Convert Your Outline to the Article Body – Expand on your outline to construct the body of the article. Remember that the format you present your information in is an important part of getting your message across. Main points can be broken into separate paragraphs or created as bullet points.
  6. Write the Conclusion and Resource Box – Wrap up the main points from the article in the conclusion and answer any lasting questions you think a reader might have. The Resource Box is where you give more information about yourself to the reader and instruct them on what to do next.
  7. Review Your Article – Become familiar with the Editorial Guidelines so you can be sure your article follows our required standards. Proofread the entire article for typos and misspellings.
  8. Submit Your Article – Log into your My.EzineArticles.com account and select the Write & Edit tab which will automatically open to the Submit New Article form. If you have any questions, click on the blue “?” (Help button) within each section of the submission form for an in-depth explanation.

Whether you’re a veteran author or an article marketing newbie, use this strategy now to write and submit a set of high-quality, original articles for more traffic back to your website. Leave a comment to share your own writing process and how it works for you.

Frankie Cooper writes:

I need to start applying these 8 steps to my article writing plan. They will help me to write better quality articles in a shorter amount of time.

Thank you for these steps.

Comment provided October 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I am new to EzineArticles and I think this is a great site. I raise rabbits and look forward to publishing articles on EzineArticles about raising rabbits. Thanks for the tips to help me get started :)

Comment provided October 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Bex Lund writes:

Brilliant article, clear & concise steps to follow,

Comment provided October 16, 2010 at 4:36 AM

Hello friends
Before anything, a heartfelt thanks for the directions that send the novice writer, as is our case.
Much is learned from them. Well, life is a continual learning.
Are welcome to all guidelines from your experience more consistent.
A big and sincere hug.
Paulo Jorge

Comment provided October 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Great video and tips…i’m going to share it for and wide!

Comment provided October 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM

mike writes:

Sometimes there seems like you find so much information on a topic that it’s hard to digest it all and come out with a full article.

Comment provided October 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Great advice for seasoned writers as well. Even with tens or hundreds of articles under your belt, it never hurts to get a bit of a refresher.

Comment provided October 17, 2010 at 9:29 AM

DeAnna Dubois writes:

Good advice on how to write and submit articles. I know that many people like Mike above have difficulty summarising all the information researched. Just remember your article should have a beginning, middle and end, and be no more than 500 words.

Comment provided October 17, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Ben Lev writes:

Great! Now I’m motivated. Thanks for that great synopsis.

Comment provided October 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Komarniki writes:

Thank you for these steps. That’s a very helpfull article.

Comment provided October 18, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Lou Santini writes:

This post on submitting good articles really demonstrates one thing. Good writing has certain elements that must be present in an article to give an effective message. There is no magic, just practice and revise.

Comment provided October 18, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Linda Wilson writes:

I have always wanted to write a book so this is a great site to collect my thoughts and finally begin to become a writer.

I am very excited!

Comment provided October 19, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Stan Young writes:

Hey Marc,

Excellent tutorial you have made this simple precise and down to earth.
I have been struggling with writing so these points will be very helpful in getting rid of the writters block and assist with structure.
Many Thanks

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM

jon bone writes:

Another good article. Common sense when you think of it. once again thanks

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Willie writes:

Sometimes, it can be really tasking trying to write an article, but, with the steps you have outlined here, it can become less tasking.

I have saved a copy of it in a folder and I can use it as a guideline later.

Thank you.

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 5:13 AM

Butch writes:

Is there any way one can convey to marketers to refrain from forwarding thousands of videos to look at waisting tonnes of valuable time. My view is that videos are for illiterates and hell of a frustrating to watch, especially for people who’s work entails lots of reading and writing. Most of the videos can be summarised in writing taking 10 seconds to read. I do not even touch the time it takes to download. Please save us from these videos.

Comment provided October 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Jimmy writes:

Thanks for the video and tips on how to write and submit articles. Never thought of structuring the articles first then only convert the outlines to body. I would normally write as ideas come into my head. It’s easy for me that way because I don’t have to put much thought into my articles. I guess that is why sometimes I go a bit off topic.

Comment provided October 25, 2010 at 4:33 AM

nori writes:

this is a very useful entry. can’t wait to start writing my first ever article on EzineArticles!

Comment provided October 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Claire writes:

I have written and published 3 articles so far on your site but was struggling to come up with new ideas. This video is excellent it has given me a fresh injection of inspiration in the way I write and the sort of angles of articles I can produce. Many thanks for the wonderful support and training material you provide.

Comment provided November 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Lynn Brown writes:

Great article for first time article writers. Very clear and easy to follow tips. I will be sharing these with my clients.

Comment provided November 3, 2010 at 5:58 PM

shahmir karim writes:

Thank you for the email and those videos tips as I’m very new on doing article…normally just become the reader. I will try slowly to get on it. Thanks

Comment provided November 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Ulysses Grant writes:

I have written and published 2 articles before I saw this usefull and practical video. Really that gave your mind excellent ideas to write and write, over again…. Thanks Mike.

Comment provided November 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Alex writes:

I am a newbie and I really want to start blogging but I do not know how to do it. And now I have 8 steps to write an article. Thank you so much and please keep going on :)

Comment provided November 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

great video and step by step guideline to write and article. Thanks for your sharing. :)

Comment provided November 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Arnold writes:

Hey Marc

Thank you for the wonderful tip. These 8 steps will help me a lot. I have wrote four articles, but have not publish them yet, so I will have time to double check them with the 8 steps.

And Robs guidelines are great; thank you guys. I guess I will get along just fine with EzineArticle.com

Comment provided November 10, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Amit verma writes:

gr8 articles, will help in accepting articles on articles directory.

Comment provided December 12, 2010 at 7:52 AM

really this is a great video…. interesting post

Comment provided May 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Marshall Reyher writes:

Great steps to keep in mind when writing an effective article. Thanks!

Comment provided January 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

dizi izle writes:

really this is a great video interesting post thanks you

Comment provided March 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Jimto writes:

It’s been a while since I last wrote an article for EzineArticles. The last time I submitted a piece it was rejected, lol. That is why I’m looking at tips on how to better write because it seems EzineArticles has upgraded their requirements.

Thanks for this blog as I now have a better guide on how the article should be written. It is also a big help that I receive article writing tips from EzineArticles on a periodic basis.

Comment provided March 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Hi Jaime,

A member of our Support Team will be in contact with you shortly regarding your problematic article. I see that your latest submission was in September of last year. We recommend staying up-to-date on our Editorial Guidelines which can be found here: http://ezinearticles.com/editorial-guidelines/

Please let us know how we can assist you further!

lalitha writes:

this is really an advantageous site for the article writing beginners..i am very much interested to write an article…but i didnot know how to start..today i viewed this site…i will implement these tips and try my best to put up my first article…thankyou EzineArticles

Comment provided June 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM

saswati mukherjee writes:

I m a newcomer and this not only help me but also encourage me to choose different new topics and give me mental courage to write down on it. These tips are very useful to me which encourage me to prove myself

Comment provided August 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Vivek Khanduri writes:

I am a newbie here and wil be uploading my first article soon

Comment provided September 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Hi Vivek,

Welcome to EzineArticles!

If you have any questions along the way please let us know and we will be happy to assist you. You can use the Contact Us button within your My.EzineArticles account to contact us. We look forward to your submissions. :)

Richard writes:

Best advice I’ve heard about article marketing.

Comment provided September 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

rahul sharma writes:

Great tips, I will keep these tips in my mind when I will write my next article, Thanks for sharing.

Comment provided February 24, 2014 at 6:08 AM

Ritesh writes:

Insightful article. I will be definitely be incorporating these points to my writing in the future.

I have been writing articles for several websites, but EzineArticles is the one that pulled in traffic for me. Thanks for doing a stellar job.

Comment provided March 22, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Narender Chopra writes:

I am a newbie and I really want to start online writing work but I do not know how to do it effectively. And now I have 8 steps to write an article. Thank you so much and please keep going on :)

Comment provided July 29, 2014 at 3:53 AM

I am new to EzineArticles and I want to write articles here to reach thousands of clients worldwide. Thank you for giving this opportunity.

Comment provided July 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM