Article Content vs. Real Life – Broken Promises

The 4th video in a series that brings questionable article writing practices into the real world.

Almost all Expert Authors are good people, but many of them do things in their article writing and marketing that they’d never do in the real world.

When you, as an author, are trying to gain the trust of your readers, every positive experience they have with you matters. That means you have to be straightforward with the promises you make and deliver on them.

Just like in article marketing and writing, falling short on your promises in the “real world” ruins your credibility and looks plain silly. In this episode, we highlight what happens when a real estate agent makes lofty promises in a classified ad.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

The content of your article must deliver on the promise you make in the title. You wouldn’t promote a dream home in a real estate ad and showcase an empty lot.

How To Make Sure Your Content Delivers On Its Promises:

• If the title is a question, your article should answer the question. If the article content isn’t delivered as promised in your title, readers will click away from it and you’ll lose credibility.
  • If you include a numeric promise in the title, deliver at least that much content. An article titled: “7 Tips To Deliver On Your Article Title” must have at least 7 tips.
  • Keywords in the title should accurately represent the content of the article.
  • Titles that have a location name make a special promise to the reader that the article will provide location-specific information. Location-specific information explains how the topic being discussed differs between the location and elsewhere.

Don’t fall in the same trap the real estate agent fell into. His lofty promises ruined his credibility.

Please share this video with others and leave a comment about how you deal with broken promises. Also, check out the other episodes on the Article Content vs. Real Life videos in our Video Archive.

Ding Neng writes:

Hey EzineArticles, thanks for pointing out this. You have made a very strong point on being consistent with what we write too. The last thing we want people to say is that we are only capable of writing things we are not able to fulfill.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Marte Cliff writes:

Cute video – I enjoyed it even though my internet service made me click 6 times to see the whole thing.

Wild Blue is having a “worse than normal” day today, so lucky I could see it at all.

Meanwhile… your point is excellent. Promise only what you’re going to deliver.

It might be good for everyone to apply that same practice to their resource box, too.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Blaine Moore writes:

I feel your pain with Wild Blue – I try to schedule things so I don’t need to do anything on the internet when visiting the in-laws.

Great video, though, I got a chuckle out of it and it makes a very good point.

Artur Olig writes:

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Dave Ward writes:

Great video. you made the point very well, I don’t know how many times I’ve been hooked by a headline only to find out that the article/post doesn’t deliver. It made me realize how important it is to tell the truth.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Rick Welsch writes:

I enjoyed the video and it makes a valid point. But I do not feel people write unrealistic promises do to poor writing skills I think it is a lack of integrity. When companies relate customer satisfaction with increased profit margins we will see more honesty in writing.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Marte Cliff writes:

Blaine – I’m glad someone understands my frustration with Wild Blue. If there was a better choice, I’d take it. But I’m not willing to move away from my mountain meadow to get high speed!

As for deceptive headlines – we see it all the time in email. Things such as “7 Secrets to Younger Looking Skin” leads to a sales letter for an ebook that will tell all.

Even some of our most well-known internet marketers do this. I’ve started deleting their mail because it’s almost always deceptive.

We DO build reputations – good or bad.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Michael F-D writes:

Yep it is the old story: perception versus reality.

When you gain perception from what is said in a sales letter or advert, and the reality of the situation falls short – the let down is pretty painful and therefore memorable (for the wrong reasons). Hence the saying “Once bitten – Twice shy”.

Of course the opposite of the above is also true – if reality exceeds your expectations you are pumped up and you will remember this for the right reasons.

I call it integrity of purpose. On my journey through the IM world this is what I was looking for. I found it but unfortunately it took some searching!

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Tracy writes:

Loving the video series but you missed the realtor’s closing line….

“But, it has lots of natural light!”

Keep the videos coming. They make a good point and always need a laugh or two.

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I always say Under Promise and Over Deliver!

Comment provided October 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Rocky Torres writes:

Anyhow as long as you’re a successful writer!

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Lisa Steven writes:

yeah thats true committed promises on content never come true !! its like politician

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 1:52 AM

dig writes:

pretty good,thanks for sharing.

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Kenneth Potts writes:

Great Video, you have over delivered as per usual.

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Clement Sadjere writes:

Nice Video. EzineArticles are the indisputable king!

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Jon Sollie writes:

It seems to me that the issue boils down to accountability. Too many people on the Internet cloak themselves in the relative anonymity provided on-line, thus killing their chances of any kind of real longevity as writers or marketers.

Brick and mortar store owners can attempt to slide in some deceptive advertising to get shoppers in the door, but this begs for a short business life span!

All the best,

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Jon Sollie writes:

Good old fashioned credibility will carry the day. Always!

Comment provided October 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Hans Quistorff writes:

I get a daily Google search for my key words. I skip most of the results because the title or the context indicates they will not deliver. Then I click on one that holds promise only to to discover that it only delivered me to their site.

Comment provided October 12, 2010 at 1:59 AM

tibia gold writes:

of course, it is a sharp different for the real life and article.

Comment provided October 13, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Dean writes:

Sadly, even honest people can sometimes make mistakes about things such as the title without meaning to mislead anyone. This highlights the need to be more vigilant about our writing, especially online. Thank you for reminding us, as ultimately our credibility and reputation matters not only in business, but in real life as well.

Comment provided November 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Maria Edwin writes:

This is so true.
Customers will not even listen if content is not delivered as promised. As opposed to driving and meeting a sales agent, reading an article can finish prematurely. Especially if content does not match the title or if it is incorrect.

Comment provided November 23, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Hervy writes:

I think people are used to being mislead so often that they don’t take enough chances to carefully look into information for assuming that the quality the want will not be there.

It’s definitely beneficial for a person to stay on point because you don’t get many shots to win a reader.

I have a habit of wanting to provide too much information, especially supporting information in my writing.

Thanks for this video. Many people don’t care about all the background like I do. I guess they would then view that extra information in a negative way.

I must learn to be brief.

Just look at this post!

Comment provided December 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Lisa Miller writes:

I love article marketing but if want immediate sales, i doubt if article marketing works in the short term probably in the long term.What i think is that you need article for link building and what you need to know and please this article have attested to it, you need a quality content.

Comment provided January 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM