2 Minute Approval Tips: Monitor Anchor Text

We’re back with another quick 2-minute tip!

This video series is meant to give you tips for getting your articles approved on the first submission every time. We looked back at submission records to find common reasons why articles aren’t approved initially. Then, we compressed that information into individual 2-minute videos to save you time.

Anchor text is any word or group of words that is an active link to a webpage. Anchor text stands out from the rest of the text because it is blue in color and underlined.

Integrating anchor text links into your articles is a great way to connect readers to more information about your topic.

In this video, I share the ninth tip, “Monitor Anchor Text.”

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here’s a quick recap of the ninth “2 Minute Approval Tip” for those of you who don’t have two minutes to spare:

• Articles of 400 Words or Fewer – Shorter articles can have a maximum of 3 words in an anchor text link.

• Articles of More Than 400 Words – Longer articles can have a maximum of 5 words in anchor text links. No matter how much value you provide in an article, we won’t accept anchor text links that are more than 5 words.

• Build a Better User Experience – Anchor text can make the inclusion of outside resources seamless in the article. By providing high-value content and giving additional places to find out more through anchor text links, you can give a really solid user experience.

• Anchor Text vs. Hyperlinked Text – Anchor text is different from hyperlinked text in that hyperlinks display the full web address being linked (Ex. anchor text: “Watch other ‘2 Minute Approval Tips’ by clicking here.” vs. hyperlinked text: “Check out the entire ‘2 Minute Approval Tips’ video series by visiting: http://EzineArticles.com/videos/2-minute-approval-tips/“).

• Exception to the Rule – There are exceptions to almost every rule. In this case, some small words are exempt from the anchor text word count, like: to, is, in, on, it, and, at, by, etc. Remember, the determination of whether there is too much anchor text is made with many factors in mind – length, uniqueness and value all play a role.

Check out this earlier episode from the “2 Minute Approval Tips” series for a refresher on how many links are allowed in articles.

Put this anchor text tip to good use when writing your next set of quality, original articles. Also, leave a comment to share one of your own approval tips for including links in your articles.

Dan Janal writes:

Is there a maximum number of anchors allowed in an article?

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Eddington writes:

If I understood it correctly from a previous 2 minute approval tip video, it should be three and two of those should not be self serving. I might be wrong but I believe if I am, someone will clarify this.

Yeah, I think these are amazing tips as they demistfy the issue of anchor text and hyperlinks within the article.

I think it will really make an article more powerful as people are compelled to click on links within the article than the resource box.

Great tips!

Dan,

You can have up to 4 links in your article. A maximum of 2 self-serving and a max of 2 non self-serving.

Eddington writes:

Thanks for rectifying this Penny, I thought I was not quite right:)

Daniel Toscano writes:

Wow, I did not know you were given 2 more keywords for a 401 word article, thanks for pointing that out.

Though now I am sorta confused. You are saying you can have 4 links in your article. Is that counting the article body and author bio?

And you would want 2 different self serving links vs them being the same?

And 3 – 5 keywords per link?

Thanks for clarification!

Daniel,

4 total links and they can be in the article body or the resource box. If you are going to add a self-serving link to the article body, it must only be one (the other is reserved for the resource box), and it must be near the bottom. You cannot include any links in the first 3 paragraphs of the article body.

We ask that you do not include the same link twice but we won’t send it back if you do.

And yes, 3-5 words in anchor text depending on the article length.

Frankie Cooper writes:

This is an excellent tip that I need to start implementing into my articles. Now I’ll go and listen to the other 2 Minute Approval Tips videos.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 11:23 AM

bob johnson writes:

Thanks for nice informative video. Well done.

My problem is understanding what is “informative” and what is “persuasional” with the anchor text. What I say is educational, ie. explaing a term with an article on my site, might get perceived as “selling”. It seems to vary from examiner to examiner so no consistency, other than I basically don’t do anchor text because of it.

Would help if there were some very solid explanation and consistent interpretation.

Thanks.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

thanks for clarifying the difference between anchor links and hyper-links. I never knew the difference.

Quick question, will we be able to place links at the top of our articles in the future

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM

You can add the links to the article body so long as you don’t add them to the first 1-3 paragraphs (or above the fold). Your article will appear to be spammy or over-promotional.

bob johnson writes:

Thank you Penny. That makes sense. Now if I can only remember it!!!

When you functionally illiterate to start with and then go over age 60 this stuff gets mind boggling just trying to keep up. :)

Have good weekend and thanks for the info..

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Eddington writes:

Hey Bob, don’t say those words to yourself, ever heard that words are powerful? You will become what you say – affirm positively:)

BTW, I know of a 62 year old who is looking after her 92 year old mum – imagine how challenging that can be?

Now what fascinated me about her is she could still manage to juggle internet/network marketing – she installed a blog after taking a course, we shared the same mentor and like we are meeting here, we were meeting on his forum.

I was amazed at the speed at which she was moving, she even went on and started creating videos for YouTube.

So be encouraged, you will remember, refuse to get old lol. You can do rhis thing!

Michael Davis writes:

Thanks for another great tip. I’m a little long-winded so my articles are usually always over 400 words, good to know about the 5 word limit as I have been sticking to three in the past.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Earlyn Shuffler writes:

Thanks for clarifying the difference between anchor text and hyper linking. I have used both without thinking about the difference.

Now I just use one link (to my website) in the last paragraph of my articles and it seems to work. If the content is interesting and valuable, most people will read to the end and hopefully click to see what else they can learn by visiting my website or Blog.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Lugene Brantley writes:

Hey Bob, you are never too old. I find a lot of the younger people that seem to be functionally illiterate, the older people are OK. How do I know? I am 80 years old. Had my birthday – 10/10/10. I still consider myself in full control of my functional abilities.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Frances writes:

Hello Lugene, congratulations and happy birthday for 10/10/10! My darling Mum ventured onto the internet before I did! She was 74 at the time and is 86 now!

The clarification between anchor text and hyperlinking was very useful as well.

Comment provided October 30, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Jose Lasa writes:

I love this comment for one reason, I never thought I could use anchor text. I will surely use it in my future articles. And one more thing, now I know the difference between both.

Thanks Marc and Blessings.

Comment provided October 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Rocky Torres writes:

Excellent tip!

Comment provided November 1, 2010 at 5:47 AM

Emily Sandstrom writes:

So, how does one create these texts?

Comment provided November 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Emily,

Take a look at this Blog post, specifically topic #4, for an explanation of how to create anchor text links: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/03/html-basics-for-the-expert-author.html

William Post writes:

Got it. Since my articles tend to be short, no anchor text over 3 words.
Amazing how much one can learn from a 2-min video!

Comment provided December 1, 2010 at 2:25 AM

Mike writes:

This clears everything up! I appreciate these 2 minute tips videos. Thanks!

Comment provided August 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM