Expert Author Case Study: Lisa Lehr

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Expert Author Lisa Lehr, a freelance copywriter who specializes in direct response and marketing collateral.

When Lisa becomes passionate about a certain topic, the passion drives her to discover as much about it as possible and then she shares her knowledge in a set of articles.

As a writer by nature, Lisa enjoys writing whenever she can and she loves sharing her expertise and research in articles.

As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Lisa to share her thoughts on article writing and marketing. Her answers are included below:

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I set myself apart by being a good writer. In addition to sending traffic to my websites, my goal is to write an informative, readable, non-keyword-heavy article.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

Well, I enjoy writing. I try to stay informed about what kinds of information people are searching for and provide them with that. Then, of course, the website I direct my readers to must have a purpose!

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

I don’t find it difficult. It’s actually harder to budget my time so that I don’t spend too much time writing articles! Very often, I’ll get excited about a subject, then I just have to write about it.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

I’m interested in many things. Of course I have a few niches I’m especially interested in. Usually it starts with reading about something (it helps to be an avid reader), then I get intrigued about it, do some more research, and before long, I’m itching to write an article!

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

For me, writing “enough” is never hard; it’s having so much information that I must decide how to boil it down, whether to make it more than one article, and so on. Quality isn’t hard for me because I’m very detail-oriented.

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

It’s interesting to get the reports and see what has the highest readership. My consistently top-performing articles are on widely divergent topics. My monthly “Top Three” sometimes surprise me. I’ll write about something that interests me, and find I’ve really struck a chord. It’s been an interesting study in human nature, but as far as traffic goes, I have to work on tweaking things to make sure the traffic goes where I want it to go.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Usually when I don’t have a tight project deadline, I’ll try to crank out a bunch of articles. It’s harder to find time when I’m in the middle of projects, but I do notice that when I don’t have new submissions, my traffic levels drop.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

I like being able to send press releases for free!

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

In retrospect, I’d narrow my focus and figure out what I really want to do, instead of having numerous URLs that I fail to maintain, so that I have to go back and rewrite the Resource Boxes to send traffic to new and better places.

10. What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

Write good articles. Don’t keyword stuff. If you have too much material, break it up into shorter articles. And figure out what your overall plan is for directing traffic before you get started.

“DO’s” and “DON’Ts” From Lisa:

• Break up long articles into multiple shorter ones. Spreading your quality content out across more articles generates more exposure for you and that’s a key to success.
  • Have a clear understanding of the websites you want to share in your Resource Box. With a strategy established, it becomes easier to know right away how future articles fit into the writing strategy.
  • Spend time looking at Article Reports to get insights on the topics that get the most traffic. Use this research to write more.

• Don’t write solely to pack your articles with keywords. You’ll get more credibility as an author by writing quality content that is easy to read.
  • Don’t write without pre-established intentions. Stay committed to writing informative, readable articles that include relevant links to your website or blog.

Incorporate these guidelines while writing your next set of quality original articles and let us know how they work for you. Also, leave a comment for Lisa. She can’t wait to hear from you.

Ding Neng writes:

Hi Liza! Nice to meet you here:) Thanks so much for your tips and your DOs and DONTs for article writing. I’ve been writing articles for a few months now, and now writing for the Ezine 100 articles in 100 days HAHD challenge, your tips come at the very right time for me! :)

Thank you so much Liza!

Ding Neng

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Jeanie Rose writes:

Lisa, what I most appreciate are your comments about having a strategy and staying focused on that strategy. I can see where just this nugget can save lots of lost time. Thanks!

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Emily Vanak writes:

Lisa, Love yr concise summary. Just starting up on Ezine so this comes in real handy. Great gift that I must apply ! Thanks again !

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Emily Vanak writes:

Great interview ! Very practical nuggets for writing and well summarized. Thank you.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Hello, Liza, Really I like so much your words of advice and your style, you seem to be a wise woman. I am very new in this environment. Imagine that my native language is Spanish and I am living in Arabic country, so I have to struggle to keep my English, which is just my second language. Any way I do enjoy writing, I love poetry. Hope you could read my article and give me your point of view, that would be really nice. My name is Patricia Antonia Schiavone, and have been a real pleasure to meet you Liza.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Emily Vanak writes:

Lisa, Thank you for a very practical summary for writing articles. Yes, it’s finding the resources for your niche that will wet your writing ! Good nuggets !

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Eddington writes:

It’s interesting to note that traffic levels drop when no new submissions. I noticed that, each time I submit I get traffic, when I don’t, I don’t get traffic.

So does it then mean we have to keep writing in order to get traffic? I have heard stories of people who keep getting good traffic from just one article – depending on the keywording?

Another good point made was about the resource box, I have tried to work on mine but there is still some that does need working on. I think you are quite right, they need some good tweaking and organising of others of one’s url’s.

Great tips, evry little helps!

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Sofia Hogan writes:

As I embark on developing my own plr products as well as writing for a couple of new websites, I will pin your Do’s and Don’ts to the wall, look at them periodically and remember that consistent quality and value will bring in the traffic…..thanks Dear.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Thanks Lisa,
Like with everything in life, it pays to listen to other successful and experienced writers no matter how much I think I already know about the subject! I’ll make sure I put some of your suggestions into practice.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Lisa writes:

As a fellow freelance writer, I appreciated all of the advice given here. I really enjoy that you make it about the reader, because that is the point after all, right? What does the reader want? What is the reader looking for? How does your article benefit the reader? All important things to consider.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Lisa J. Lehr writes:

Thanks for your generous comments, everyone! :)

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Barb L Collins writes:

Hi, Lisa.
Also an avid reader with a wide variety of interests, I enjoy learning new things and sharing everything I learn with others. I also love to write. This combination convinced me that freelance work would be a good field for me.

Reading your advice about narrowing focus and writing with ‘pre-established intentions,’ I realize that this was definitely missing in my first articles. I’ve only recently begun and am learning from tutorials as I go. Having a ‘game plan’ ahead of time was not made clear to me. Also, having a blog but no real website at this time to promote has made my Resource Box less than effective.

Your point about traffic decreasing without new articles is definitely an incentive to keep writing.

Thank you for your insights and your concise presentation of them.

Barb L Collins

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Sean Breslin writes:

Hello Lisa,

I enjoyed the article… reminders of how, it should be done!
Never hurt…

Thank You.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Alan To writes:

Hi Lisa

Your tips on article writing were very interesting and useful. Being a writer myself, I am always on the lookout for good writing opportunities. I run the number one true ghost stories site on the web, and so naturally the bulk of my subject comprises articles on ghosts, hauntings, poltergeists etc.

I would love to make a living as a copy writer, but the problem there of course is trying to attract clients. So if anybody is reading this article and needs a press release, web content or anything else doing, here I am.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Colin Hayvice writes:

Hi Lisa, I am a relative newbie altough am a writer and author of childrens fiction. I find I am getting good feedback from my articles(back pain) but no positive traffic to my website. Any ideas from you?
Regards Colin

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Lisa J. Lehr writes:

Hi Colin,

Maybe your resource box needs to be more persuasive? I believe EzineArticles has some advice on how to write a good resource box. I should probably read it because my resource boxes probably aren’t as good as they could be, either. It’s something you just have to keep tweaking.

Thomas writes:

Hi Lisa

You just said most of what I have in my heart.

Thank you.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM

asset tracking writes:

Thank you for giving us some helpful tips.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Mehmood Nayyer writes:

After reading her precious ideas and ways to write articles. Being a novice writer I consider it as a good start for me to thinking and utilizing my energies the way she did. At least I will try to write quality articles not keyword rich quality articles which the people will like to read. Hope I will also be able to write successive articles like Lisa Lehr.

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Lakshmi writes:

I liked your views and tips of article writing.
I do agree with you that my traffic levels too drop when I don’t have regular submission. So it means that we should have regular submission of articles for getting more traffic.

Comment provided October 23, 2010 at 6:58 AM

Susan D writes:

Good information, Lisa. I already have a focus…parrots. However, I find your advice to break up long articles into shorter ones excellent. It certainly makes sense that more articles will keep the traffic up and generate more readership to one’s site. Thanks, Lisa.

Comment provided October 23, 2010 at 7:02 AM

infoinfo unik writes:

Lisa, Thank you for a very practical summary for writing articles.

Comment provided October 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Wendy Aston writes:

Thanks for the tips. They will come in handy over the next few months while I try to focus on writing some articles.

Comment provided October 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Joyce Weiss writes:

thanks Lisa for your tips on how to successfully work with EzineArticles. I am ready to submit my first 10 articles thanks to your encouragement.I will focus on conflict management.

Comment provided October 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Sean Buvala writes:

A very solid article with practical tips. Thank you for sharing this. I especially like the advice about keyword stuffing. Writing naturally about a topic makes a much more valuable content resource. Thanks.

Comment provided October 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Lisa J. Lehr writes:

You’re welcome, everyone! Thanks for your kind comments.

Comment provided October 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Lisa Policastro writes:

Hi Lisa,

I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you how much you have inspired this “newbie”. I look forward to writing lots of articles with EzineArticles, and you’ve provided a lot of tips I am sure I will be using. Thanks a bunch!

Comment provided December 15, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Lisa J. Lehr writes:

You’re welcome! Thanks for your nice comments.

Comment provided December 15, 2010 at 12:14 PM