Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Expert Author Kevin Graham, who builds article sets based on issues he’s passionate about.
Kevin didn’t consider himself a great writer when he started working on his first article writing and marketing campaign, but that didn’t stop him from giving it a try.
Now, with nearly 300 articles to his credit on EzineArticles, he sees the benefits of writing and sharing his knowledge with the world. Plus, he has discovered that developing good writing habits is a never-ending process.
Passion = Value
As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Kevin to share his thoughts on article writing and marketing. According to Kevin, his unique set of life experiences dictates the themes and messages he develops for articles. He only writes about things he is truly passionate about, and this passion helps him figure out what others find valuable.
- What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?
We are each unique in our experiences and skills, yet we all have a growing passion for writing and for the awesome power of article marketing. Would it surprise you to learn that I had to take English 1 FOUR times in college? I do not see myself as the best writer, but as I write about my passion — helping people lose weight — it just seems so easy. It is enjoyable and people seem to respond. I don’t see it as being an “Expert Author,” but rather that I have a unique set of experiences and for each of us that comes out in our writing.
- What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?
In a word: Regularity, and I do not mean hours per day. More in the sense of a barge going down a river. It may not look like it’s going very fast, but it doesn’t stop moving so it gets there fairly quickly. Whatever your time allows, if you maintain progress you will accumulate a quantity of offerings. As you write about your passion, you’ll get lots of quality along the way, too.
- How do you stay motivated to write articles?
I focus on the cumulative effect of the content. If I were to measure value one article at a time, it would not be so clear. It is the aggregate of content that I feel makes for a strong online presence.
- How do you decide what to write about?
I am a consummate student of my industry, so I am always uncovering new stuff that other people offer and many times I write about their stuff in a positive light. It’s a wonderful experience to have someone contact you and do a favor in return after they discovered something you’ve written about them. I also pay attention to the problems and questions that my market comments on across the Internet.
- How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?
Press on both gas pedals. It’s like the old adage about quality time with your kids. “Quality time with your kids comes from spending a quantity of time with them.” That’s how you get to those special moments that lifetimes are made of.
- How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?
EzineArticles is affecting my traffic and, just as importantly, it’s helping to drive my presence in a crowded and noisy industry – weight loss. It provides traffic from other sources as the articles are republished. It’s amazing how advertising and marketing has changed in the last 5-10 years. People no longer want to be interrupted with commercials, cold calling or intrusion marketing. Consumers want to discover quality offerings along their journey. Article marketing, just like efforts to place other quality content, do just that. The beautiful thing is that it is organic and it has staying power. When you pay for traffic through Pay-Per-Click Marketing [PPC], it is transient in nature and, frankly, it doesn’t convert as well. But again, the bigger value comes from the fact that these articles are out there driving traffic year after year and it only took me 30 minutes to write and publish it. That is a huge Return On Investment (ROI) that simply cannot be found elsewhere.
- How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?
Creating “remarkable” content is my quest – whether that be through articles, blog posts or videos. It is a key component of my marketing plan. Your commitment to quality, original content and the confidence it provides creates a great partnership and you enable an incredible amount of education in the world. Not to mention, EzineArticles protects the source and does not publish derivative content.
- What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?
EzineArticles separates itself from the others by providing a platform of integrity, original quality content and tools that make the process easier. The ones that I rely on regularly include the following: Article Manager, Email Alerts, Title Suggestions, Keyword Tools and Author Rankings. I know that there are other great tools that I have yet to discover.
- If you had to start over again, what would you change?
Not a lot. I was attracted by the #HAHD Challenge (100 Articles in 100 Days) and quickly realized that while it may seem like a lot, I could do double. We are in a whole new world and content is critical. I’ve made a personal commitment to publish 50 articles per month and while that may seem like a lot, this is a marathon for me. It is not easy to start a new business no matter what all those that sell snake oil claim. I am in it for the long haul and the more you write the easier it becomes.
- What advice would you give newbie article marketers?
I would suggest that they embrace their market and reach out to other leaders and entrepreneurs to highlight other people’s offerings as much as they highlight their own. It may sound crazy, but there is value in the sandbox. I would also challenge any new writer to think about their quantity and quality limitations and blow them up – they are capable of 5-10 times what they initially consider to be a legitimate goal. Discover your passion and share it with the world. It will come back to you in the months and years ahead.
Speaking of advice, here are 5 pieces of good advice you can take from Kevin:
- The Tortoise Beats the Hare – Maintaining regular progress in your writing keeps things moving. Write every day to build quality content. The aggregate of individual articles eventually makes a difference.
- The Internet Landscape – People want to discover great information on their own. Article writing and marketing gives us a chance to provide great content for free and generate a reputation for that content at the same time.
- Stay Committed to Quality – Building a reputation for quality content is a key to being successful in article writing. If someone finds the answers they are looking for in your content, they’ll be much more likely to seek your content in the future.
- Have a Plan – Before you jump right into writing articles, have a plan. Writing an article at least every day is an ideal way to get started, and if you have a plan, it’ll be easier to meet deadlines and stay organized. Try the 100 Articles in 100 Days Marathon Challenge (HAHD) to stimulate your writing senses and get writing every day.
- Don’t be Afraid to Be An Apprentice – Look to other experts for what else is going on in your niche. At first, they can give you some direction for where to turn for new content. Then, eventually, you’ll be able to figure out your own ways to get article ideas.
Why not take some of Kevin’s advice and put it to good use today? And, as always, leave a comment for Kevin. He’d would love to hear from you!