Quick Case Study: Ellen Bell

The 14th edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

Ellen Bell sets herself apart as an Expert Author with her research. Specifically, she analyzes Article Reports to point her in the direction of new content.

According to Ellen, all articles on her account become case studies for future articles.

She closely analyzes the ones that have the most views and highest click-through rates (CTRs) for effective title formats, content presentation methods and Resource Box information.

This close analysis helps Ellen determine exactly how to put the pieces of her next article together.

Breadth of Subject Matter

In comparison with most other Expert Authors, Ellen covers a wide range of subjects. She says, “Unlike many EzineArticles authors who write within a specific niche, I cover a number of unique topics. This is because my business operates a group of really diverse retail websites that sell a large variety of products, and I’m responsible for writing articles tailored to all those various products.”

Ellen’s drive to write on a variety of topics means she has to spend extra time organizing article ideas and putting cohesive article sets together.

She says, “I try to keep it interesting by varying my topics or writing from different angles.” She continues, “For example, if I’ve already written a couple articles on how to incorporate an arbor or pergola into your overall garden design, then my next article might focus on choosing the right arbor or pergola for your yard.”

Above all, Ellen’s main goal is to always provide useful information to her readers. Analyzing her Article Reports and using that data to rejuvenate her writing helps her reach that goal in each article. She says, “If I can’t provide them with some new tidbit of information in this article, then I don’t consider that to be good quality.”

Looking Back

When she looks back at the time she has devoted to article writing and marketing, there is only one regret. “I’d probably take advantage of setting up various pen names on my account from the get-go, and then make sure that all articles of one topic or field were only submitted to one specific pen name, so I could achieve greater subject-matter authority on each of my various topics,” she says.

Staying organized while building credibility in multiple niches is made easier with alternate author names. Each niche can have its own author name.

Here are 7 lessons from Ellen:

1. Use Article Reports to enhance your writing.
  2. Build a well-rounded pool of articles on a variety of topics.
  3. Don’t stop until you’ve written at least one good article in each writing session.
  4. Tailor your writing topics around the content of your website or blog.
  5. Provide useful information in every article.
  6. Partake in brainstorming sessions to keep your writing fresh and new.
  7. If you write in a variety of niches, use alternate author names to separate them.

Now that you’ve read all of Ellen’s lessons, it’s time to unleash your own creative urges by writing an original, high-quality article on a topic you’re passionate about. Be sure to leave a comment here to let Ellen know how she has inspired you!

Patricia Hines writes:

Your advice is great! I want to improve my writing. I have 3 blogs going and am trying to compete in HAHD contest here. I am a new writer and I am so confused. I don’t where I learned what, and afraid to use the information because I don’t know for sure if I can use someone else’s idea and refine it or take it a step farther. It is very confusing to me. Your advice is helpful Thank You

Comment provided October 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Thats where progression of ideas comes from -“take it a step further.” I understand your fear and it is hard to step out of that however the more you write the more confidence you will develop. Good luck.

What I would love to know is “how many article views per day is a good number?”.

Any thoughts, please.

Comment provided October 14, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Ivan Walsh writes:

Hi Gerry,

It’s clickthrus to your site that matters.

So, if you have 100 articles, you should be getting approx 2000 page views per week if they are wel written

and approx 50 clickthrus from those 2000 page views.

Ivan

Eddington writes:

I like th idea of analyzing the article that has the highest click through rates for effective title formats, content presentation methods and Resource Box information.

Thanks for the tips.

Comment provided October 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I just started looking at my article reports and found some great info on where to go with future articles. Write what the people want and they will come.

Comment provided October 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Maria O'Brien writes:

Thanks for the helpful insights!

Do you have to pay for an upgraded account to get detailed article reports?

Comment provided October 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Maria,

Every membership level has access to reporting in the members account area. Premium members have additional reporting available to them.

All Platinum and Premium members receive an email monthly that includes a recap of the performance of their articles. A Platinum membership is free. Premium is a paid subscription (http://ezinearticles.com/premium/) Keep in mind that the Premium subscription enhances your membership level so you can hold a Platinum membership and purchase the Premium subscription. Premium is not a membership level.

Maria O'Brien writes:

Penny, thanks for the explanation. I found the article reporting/ stats in my member account. One more article written and I’ll be in the queue for Platinum membership. I’ll look into the paid Premium option as well. Where is the best place to find out its benefits/ features? Thanks!

Martin Security writes:

Great case study of a great author.

I must make more use of those Article Reports.

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Sean M Kelly writes:

Hi Ellen

You certainly inspired me just by the amount of articles you’ve written! And I’m also impressed with how you analyse them to learn what is working successfully and build on that.

Great work!

Comment provided October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Tom Morrow writes:

I write because my son and I run a wedding event facility for weddings, parties and reunions, you get the picture. My goal is to inform people of how to make their job easier by educating about the process of planning a wedding, event etc. Issues like contracting, saving money, how much time to schedule between the ceremony and the reception etc. Any advice on increasing page views would be appreciated… it makes our job easier!

Comment provided October 27, 2010 at 8:34 AM