Turn 1 Article Into a Set of 8

Here’s a simple way to quickly create more articles with less effort.

Writing quality articles takes hard work. When it comes to article writing and marketing, there’s no way to transform nothing into something with the wave of a hand or the snap of fingers. In other words, successful article writing is not a magic act, nor are we all magicians. That being said, today I want to show you a little trick that’ll help you transform a single “Top 7 Tips” article into 8 stand alone articles.

This strategy isn’t exactly magic, but it can be used once in a while to give a quick boost to your writing efforts and help you produce more articles in less time. This is especially useful for writing challenges like the 100 Articles in 100 Days Marathon Challenge (#HAHD).

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

If you’re more of a reader than a watcher, here’s what we covered in this video:

• Write 1 “Top 7 Tips” Article – You may have already written a “Top 7 Tips” in the past. If not, give our Top 7 Tips Article Template a try to help you get started. It doesn’t necessarily have to be “Top 7 Tips.” It could be “7 Things to Avoid,” “7 Things to Consider Before X” or anything else like that. What matters is that it has 7 different components. Here’s a quick summary of what this first article should look like:

1. Introduction – Tell the reader why your seven tips should matter to them. Consider questions like “What are the benefits of these tips?” and “Why would someone care about this information?” to get an idea of what to include. The introduction should be about 50 words in length.
    2. Tips – The main part of the body should be the tips. You don’t have to get into the ultra-specific details of the information you are providing. Get straight to the tip, give a short explanation of it and move on. Each tip should be about 50 words.
    3. Conclusion – Reiterate the take-away message of the tips. Again, tell them why the tips are important and why they should use your advice. The conclusion should also be about 50 words long.
      Note About Word Count: Following this guide, the “Top 7 Tips” article will be about 450 words long. If it’s more than that, don’t worry. You can always write more at first and cut your article down to size later. Just remember that the final article should say the things you want to say in as few words as possible.
  • Make Each Tip Stand Alone – Take the tips and make them stand alone articles by further explaining the details of each one. Use the 5W1H strategy (who, what, when, where, why and how) to make sure you are sharing all the essentials of the strategy. Aim for about 400-500 words (max. 750) for each of these individual tip articles. Remember that these articles have to stand alone. Someone who finds “Tip #4” in the series shouldn’t have to look back or ahead to other articles in the set to fully understand “Tip #4”.
  • Include Personal Examples – To make the individual articles stronger, try to include personal examples. If you have personal experiences that would give valuable insights into the subject matter, you’ll build credibility with your audience by sharing those experiences.
  • Think Like Your Audience – Once you’ve poured all the information into each individual article, alter your own perspective and try to think like your audience. Think about the questions they may have that you’ve left unanswered and answer them.

Use this strategy right now by writing and submitting your next set of eight articles for more traffic back to your website.

Jeff Herring writes:

I like your math

1 = 8

The way I present it is:

7 = 8 (7 Tips equals 8 articles)

Whatever the equation, it’s a great strategy for the HAHD challenge and beyond…

Go Use This Stuff folks…

~ Jeff

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 12:26 PM

gopal writes:

Jeff, really great article ever.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Stephen Craine writes:

Great tip Jeff

I’ve been struggling along with one new article and a new focus for each one.
Now I can use one article and one stream of thought to write 8 articles at a time.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 4:49 PM

ya i knew it writes:

The title of this should be how to turn 8 articles into 8 articles each of around 450 words

PS Your probably not even an article writing coach… Never heard of it

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Thanks for the input, Ya. :-) Chris, Penny and I enjoy coaching EzineArticles members on article writing, both here on the Blog and elsewhere. What other term would you use to describe people who do that? Article Writing Coach was the best we could come up with …

Patricia writes:

One of my pet peeves: people who hope to sound credible when they critique someone and yet still don’t know the difference between ‘your’ and ‘you’re’ .

And…hmm…not surprised at all that you never heard of an ‘Article Writing Coach’ :>D LOL !!!!!

More great tips. I’ll be using this technique for my next series of articles. Thanks for the info. Wendell

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM

YES! This is a VERY WISE STRATEGY! I’ve done this hundreds of times, it works great. And the first article the Summary article as I call it is the one with the 7-10 bullet points. Then you take each one of those points and make each a title to a new article. And as you go you might consider that what you have when completed is 8-11 articles. Well, that makes a great chapter for an Ebook! See that point.

Why not create an eBook too for your website to give to clients who come to visit, made up of let’s say 5-6 rounds of this strategy. That is to say; 5-6 chapters each one starts as a 7-10 top reasons, or tips, or items article, which is expanded. See that point. Anyway, this is a GREAT Strategy – USE IT!

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Pauline writes:

I really appreciate these tips and have been toying with doing something like this. Thanks for the confirmation mate.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Aomos writes:

What a great idea and it is one that I am going to work on straight away especially as my last article was 10 questions on how you know you are with the right man so as you can hear I have already started. Thanks.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Wow. You were so succinct and engaging. As a rule, I don’t normally write in this manner. Often I get an idea that I think will help people (being a therapist) and go from there. I will attempt this method keeping my eye on the word count, too, per point.

Thank you. You made my writing world easier and happier tonight because this is a new idea and man oh man do I love new ideas.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Glad to be of assistance! We’ll do our best to keep the new ideas coming.

Thanks for this article. I am finding that I can’t possibly write a blog in less than 600 words. This is a very usable tip, and will help with our blogs.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Charlu writes:

Awesome information I am new at this and am loving the writing portion but I get so absorbed it takes awhile. This should make my life a whole lot easier
Thanks again

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Sean Mantack writes:

It almost sounds too simple, almost like cheating. Well, if its good enough for you, then its certainly good enough for me.

Keep up the good work.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Debby Beachy writes:

Thanks for the great tips I’m going to give a try, this is new to me!

Debby Beachy db

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Good stuff. I usually write my articles in terms of problem solution. I guess I can just think of the 50 word introduction as the Problem and the tips as the solutions to the problem.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Not only will it produce 8 articles, it will keep the writer focused. Perhaps writers could think of a mail theme and then go to Google’s wonder wheel to find their seven components. Thanks so much for this continued help in article writing. Jannette

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Great tips and easy to understand! I want to try it for a change.

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Thanks so much for the cool tips I’m going to give a try, this is most important to me!

Comment provided September 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Bill Lawrence writes:

Great tips on creating more articles. Thanks

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Jennifer Cruz writes:

This is such a great tip. We all know that article marketing is one of the best free method to promote any products. Thus copy writing skills is a must for every internet marketer. Excellent tips!

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 6:07 AM

Per writes:

Another great tips from you. This tip is excellent especially for the beginners. Writing articles is one of the best free method that we should be a part of any marketing system process

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 6:11 AM

Gyan ojha writes:

Exiting tips about tips writing. I should follow these tips in my writings.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Marlene Ariss writes:

Thanks so much, Marc.

I have deviated from Article Writing recently but, as I am spending more time on my blogs just lately, why not on Article Writing, I suppose?

This is certainly a good idea and one which could be more easily fitted into any spare time slots.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Many thanks for sharing this tip Marc. I am just getting into writing blogs and articles so will definitely keep this in mind.

Kind regards

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Good article. Very informative. I’m new to blogging and I discovered this on my own. I like the way you break it down.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Simon writes:

This is great stuff Marc. I’m new to article writing and this sounds like a perfect technique for growing my portfolio.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Theo Koudias writes:

Fantastic advise… hadn’t thought of it and will definitely use it soon – 8 more articles coming up!

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM

James writes:

Maybe I might have heard this before like you say in the video, but it is a good idea. Good for articles and blog posting.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Patricia writes:

Great article and tips. Thanks!

Comment provided October 2, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Ana writes:

Love this idea especially as it could be the makings of a great eBook so rock on here I come with lots of eBooks thanks to you. Ana

Comment provided October 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I am sending a newsletter out that has five pages each of different types of tips. Gee, that would be probably close to a hundreds of articles. When my interactive blog goes up, I will use this.
This is the most useful of your presentations, to me.

Comment provided October 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Donald MacLeod writes:

very interesting. I am not good at article writing, I have two on EzineArticles but I think I have an idea of of how to turn 1 article into 8.

Comment provided October 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Jose writes:

Great comment Marc. I will for sure try this way of getting more articles done, thanks.

As always, Blessings

Jose Joe

Comment provided October 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Unrequited Love writes:

Thanks, this looks like a great strategy. I especially like the two phase approach. First it is almost kind of like brainstorming to come up with seven tips, and once an “overview” about each tip is written, then moving on to the nitty gritty. Great workflow, thanks!

Comment provided November 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I am new here and just found this suggestion, and am trying it out. I’m wondering how you suggest working in the connection with the next 7 articles in the lead article. Is it all right to mention in the first article to look for the next 7? Or is that something that should be put it in the resource box? Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment provided December 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM