Quick Case Study: Ben Settle

The 12th edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

Ben Settle is a Direct Response Copywriter and author of “The Copywriting Grab Bag” and “Crackerjack Selling Secrets.” He uses EzineArticles to promote his daily newsletters and blog. He attributes his success in article writing and marketing to his ability to write every day. No matter what he has going on, Ben fits daily writing sessions into his schedule.

Depending on the topic he wants to cover and the direction he wants to go each day, Ben chooses whether to write email newsletters, blog posts or articles. Later, he sifts through what he has written and looks for any material that can be repurposed. If the information still has great value and warrants more exposure, he’ll rework the piece so it fits on multiple platforms.

Letting the Ideas Flow

To meet his own expectation of delivering new content every day, Ben keeps an open mind and is always looking for his next article idea. This keeps him prepared for his writing sessions. He says, “After you do enough writing, ideas flow to you at the weirdest time. What I do is put every idea (could be a headline, a theme or an entire draft) into its own text file in a folder on my hard drive. When I am ready to write, I call the folder up, scan the contents and pick something to run with.”

Having a constant stream of article ideas flowing helps Ben achieve his goal of writing every day. This effort also keeps him motivated enough to keep writing. He continues, “I think just knowing you’re putting out more content than your competition and staying in your market’s mind better is motivational.”

Gaining Expert Status

According to Ben, the characteristic that defines an expert in any field is the ability to always have something to add to the conversation. He says, “My philosophy is if you’re positioning yourself as an expert in something, and you don’t have something (anything, even something small) to say every day, then are you really the expert you claim to be?” The genuine personal interest Ben has in his niche comes through in the content he writes and expertise he provides. He strives to mix this expertise with a sense of humor to deliver content that is both information-rich and entertaining.

Here are 4 lessons from Ben that you can can put into practice today:

• Keep writing! – Consistently generating new content is a great way to develop writing skills and build your personal brand.

• The world craves information and entertainment – Articles can be content-rich and fun to read at the same time. Incorporating entertaining components into articles is a way to reach out to a new audience that may not have been interested otherwise.

• Look to multiple platforms for distribution – Increase your return on investment by publishing content on different platforms. If the information is relevant, an email newsletter or blog post can become a new article with some slight tweaks.

• Write down any idea that comes to you – Make a note of any ideas and put them all in the same place so they’re easy to find later. This could be in a notebook, a text file on your computer or on a mobile device.

Use all of these insights today and write your next set of original articles. Leave a comment to share how you keep up with writing regularly.

Randy Cantrell writes:

Ben’s blog should be among the things you read regularly. He writes solid stuff. And he’s got an honest, straight-forward perspective. I’m a big fan!

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 11:58 AM

james writes:

This is want of the best article l have read is so good And then, once you have your idea, business plan, or opportunity for wealth, you simply need to remain in a positive state of mind and take action on it. Action is essential, and it can often require courage and confidence, especially if there is any risk involved. But as long as you are still practicing your optimistic outlook, you will not have any trouble mustering up the courage to take action.
And as long as you stay true to your vision, and never lose hope that it will produce the fabulous wealth that you have desired for so long, the money will come. This is the true path to riches, and it is open to all.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Edward Weiss writes:

Ben’s a great writer. I questioned him once on the use of the word ‘heck’ saying no one really uses that word in conversation. I mean, you don’t hear it.

He told me he uses it when chatting. Still don’t believe it but… :)

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Edward Weiss may only use “hell” but not everyone finds the need to be so common.

Nick Boodris writes:

I have never read any of Ben’s articles because I am a newbie in article writing. I will begin reading them now.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Vernessa Taylor writes:

Congratulations, Ben, on being the featured Expert Author!

Your tip on making note of ideas, then keeping them in the same place is great advice. I use text files, EverNote, and the drafts function in WordPress to keep track of snippets, thoughts, and topics to write about. Then I’ll revisit them when looking for inspiration.

@EzineArticles Thanks for the case study.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

K9 Coach writes:

Thanks for the article reminder. I know this is true but still struggle with writers block or whatever ridiculous excuse I can come up with at the moment.

I do find that when I just start writing it gets better and better. If I keep writing days in a row it gets easier and flows better….

But then the gap comes and I tend to start over again. The good thing… the gaps are becoming shorter and shorter.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Rich French writes:

I like to read, watch videos, and listen to audio as long as whoever put together the content has something worth saying. Multiple platforms makes sense to me. Great article.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Bens idea’s are great. I offen have ideas to write about while cooking or after I go to bed. Then don’t follow up sometimes. and I need to follow his example of writing every day and go back to my blogs and turn them into articles.

Cynthia

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Cheryl C. Cigan writes:

I enjoy Ben’s emails. A nice slice of perspective. Everything he writes has an impact.

Congratulations on the fine EzineArticles recognition!

Cheryl C. Cigan
known.com

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I’m new In writing in English and frankly I’m studying on daily basis fro improving this. I have a huge burning desire to spread my knowledge and my vision through the world. So I decided to study, to follow and to take inspiring from any kind of guru or writer.

I think all Bens says is pretty true. If you share your content every day, if you consider yourself and expert in your niche, you have alway a commitment to add value to the conversation and be the leader who wants help other in achieving their goals.

Thank you for reading my comment!

I hope to become a really successful and brillant writer in the magnificent English language :-) !

My hand on my heart,
Alberto

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM

If you are desperate to learn something new each and every day, you will easily transform your knowledge into something valuable.

The use of knowledge is power. Definitely.

Thanks for an inspiring article.

Irena

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I’m always looking for new writers who write well and inspire others. Now I’ve found another.

Thank you Ben.

Zak.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Micky H Corbett writes:

I find that Ben’s tip about writing ideas down as they come is a great way of keeping track of progress and using it as a base for content. I’m a musician as well and lyric writing is not my best skill so this process helps a lot.
As an extra tip, I found that it helps develop better and more effective discipline if when writing an idea in a journal you don’t scribble it, but write it deliberately and slowly. It’s hard to do at the start but it does focus your mind.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Rod writes:

Great choice for someone to spotlight, EzineArticles…I get useful nuggets everyday from Mr. Settle’s newsletter that help me with multiple aspects of my business. If you aren’t receiving his newsletter yet…get it.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Dawn Redd writes:

I think that repurposed article idea is great! So often I try to come up with brand spanking new ideas, but why not reuse an old idea and put a new spin on it?

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Ben Settle writes:

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments, I really appreciate it, definitely made my day to read them

Ben

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Sandpits Man writes:

Good advice on just keep writing, it seems os simple. I often feel that what I have to say is not important enough, and that as its not shakespeare, its not worthy of publishing. I suppose the advice is publish anyway. thanks

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 3:33 AM

sreekumar writes:

I maintain two blogs and write on regular intervals. I get stuff from constant reading of periodicals and magazines.

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 6:38 AM

Karobi writes:

Hello Ben, nice work you have done here and the points you raised here are very vital for every writer. However, for other things that play very important role is your passion towards the niche you are writing about and your determination to success. As write mostly in the night hours. Though I am new here but I enjoy every bit of it here. Thanks Ben.

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Heena writes:

Thanks Ben ! Your articles are great inspiration for me to write on regular basis. Writing is my passion and I always make a note of what would be my next topic to write on.

Revising the articles is a great idea to keep your viewers up to date and that what exactly i always do.

Thanks for sharing such a good stuff.

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Jose writes:

Great article Ben. There is nothing like having the desire to find material to write about. Good idea about taking an old article and give it a new twist or improve it.
Keep the good job Ben.
As always, God bless you all.

Jose Joe Lasa

Comment provided September 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Shirley Bass writes:

Hey Ben, Congrats!

Impressive stats.

I so enjoy learning from you. You’re a special person, as well as a great teacher.

Shirley Bass

Comment provided September 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Sean Kenny writes:

This is great advice. I have already starting doing this. I love the idea of just a file with your idea even if you haven’t got the time flesh out the idea or even the content of the idea at least it’s saved as a prompt for as and when you feel inspired.

Cheers

Comment provided September 14, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Sean Kenny writes:

I’m new to article writing and this is great advice.

Already started doing implementing this. Had an inspired evening last night and the folder is filling up already

Thanks guys

Comment provided September 14, 2010 at 6:16 AM

This is great advice but never read any of Ben’s articles because i am a newbie in article writing. Thanks for sharing such a good stuff.

Comment provided September 16, 2010 at 3:50 AM

brandon writes:

your a smart man, you should take the 5 mins and check out a company who is producing more 100,000 + earner than ever before. I think you would do great. if you apply your copywriting to this co. with a little more network marketing, you would make a killing! best of luck man….www.havehelpedmillions.com

Comment provided September 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM