Incorporating HTML Tags With a Purpose

Felix putting HTML tags in his articleFelix made a couple mistakes during his last article writing session. Can you spot them?

Like many Expert Authors, Felix knows enough basic HTML code to dress up the style and format of his content. He’ll often use code to emphasize points or build anchor text in his Resource Box. He knows that HTML code inside articles can help him:

• Emphasize important ideas
  • Organize information
  • Break articles up into sections
  • Format links to supplementary information*

Felix’s Mistakes

Unfortunately, Felix sometimes uses too much HTML text styling. Excessive use of the bold, italics and underline styling options can distract readers from the real meaning of the content. As more sections are made bold, each bolded section stands out less.

Felix also forgot to double-check his HTML code in the WYSIWYG (“What You See Is What You Get”) submission form, so the text in the article didn’t come out quite the way he wanted. Remember that precision counts when using HTML coding, and the slightest typing error can affect the appearance of the entire article. If you choose to use HTML in your submissions, the WYSIWYG form is a great way to discover how HTML works, and it’s also a great way to check that it’s right.

When WYSIWYG is turned off, all the behind-the-scenes code appears in the text. When it’s turned on, the code is translated and applied to the text, so the article displays as it would on the web. The WYSIWYG feature in the new Article Submission Form accurately displays all allowable tags. Turning the feature on will show any mistakes loud and clear.

Lessons from Felix:

1. Limit HTML Styling – Limit any HTML styling to the most important points of each article.
  2. Use WYSIWYG to Check Code – Toggling the WYSIWYG feature on and off is a great way to check that the HTML is formatted correctly.
  3. Discover How to Use HTML with the WYSIWYG – If, as a beginner, you are interested in using HTML code to improve the appearance of your articles or other web content, use the WYSIWYG form.

Remember these lessons when submitting your next quality, original article set. Also, leave a comment and let us know how you use HTML in your articles.

*Note: The Article Submission Form will automatically convert any properly formatted URL in the Resource Box into a clickable link. HTML tags for linked URLs are recommended, but not necessary.

Eliz C writes:

Felix gets an A+ for effort but perhaps he should have paid more attention to Marc. Since I just left out the dot com part of my html link I could take a few lessons. Thanks

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 3:58 PM

jon bone writes:

This can happen to easy as its an un natural thing to be writing html, more pratice and patience can only help. Good luck Felix !

Jon Bone

Eddington writes:

Great tips which are usually over looked Felix thanks. The term HTML sounds scarry to most of us that we dread attempting it, however, I want to think it’s a skill one should poses if you are serious about your internet business. You can’t afford to be lazy with it.

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Marie Giunta writes:

Thanks for this good information on HTML. I always use WYSIWYG but will look at HTML from now on and see where I am able to improve.

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I haven’t been using this feature at all and Didn’t know I could add this to my articles Thanks again for all you do at EzineArticles. Your approval of my articles has really make my traffic to my site go up. I can;t thank you enough for all you do.

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Julie Stewart writes:

Incredibly helpful; keeping up with e-marketing strategies is essential for writers, or for anyone who wants to generate both credibility and higher traffic. Thanks!

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

olivia writes:

Don’t think I’ll have much use for that.
Anyway, thank you.

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Jan writes:

Thanks Felix for the tip. I didn’t know either that some html code could be used in our articles. I will certainly use this new knowledge under your guidelines.

Question please Chris and/or crew? Can we use an article submitter to submit our articles to EzineArticles if we go back and check the editing/article? If so, is there one more than others that you prefer/recommend?

I have a few articles to submit and doing it all one-by-one is quite daunting!

Comment provided September 8, 2010 at 3:05 AM

You can use one if you would like. We don’t recommend them. Having control over your own article submissions is the best learning tool for you.

Comment provided September 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Jan writes:

Thanks Penny! I’ll persevere then :-)

I just don’t know why people hesitate to leave comment on other blogs. Read other blog content, it just polite to leave feed back about what you thought about the content to the blogger.

Comment provided September 8, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Vernessa Taylor writes:

Thanks for the tips! I have a question about t
he HTML tag we can use within the article.

==> What about sources? <==

If we cite another article or use a quotation, can we use the html markup within the article body to give credit? Or does this have to go in the resource box in lieu of links back to the article author?

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM

sreekumar writes:

I am not an expert on HTML codes so no problem so far for me.

Comment provided September 10, 2010 at 7:13 AM

gw 2 gold writes:

The useful archor text is a good method to introduce more information to your readers, however, many people add so many archors in his article or blogs, and the content did’t have a subject, that make people confused.

Comment provided September 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for this good information on it!

Comment provided September 16, 2010 at 3:47 AM

Brisbane writes:

I need to play for a while to get the hang of it. Finding the time is tricky…..

Comment provided September 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I appreciate these training articles as they are short and to the point and written in layman language. Keep them coming.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Carolyn Bethea writes:

Thanks for the information. This was a reminder to me, for some reason I forget that I can use html in the article.

There are many resources available if you don’t know much about html online. Just use your search engine. It can really add emphasis to your articles when used appropriately, but like Felix says, don’t overdo it.

Comment provided April 3, 2011 at 7:41 PM

college papers writes:

I am impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon.

Comment provided August 20, 2011 at 4:25 AM