Expert Author Case Study: Joyce Shafer

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Joyce Shafer, Expert Author for the Self Improvement category and author of the book I Don’t Want to be Your Guru, but I Have Something to Say.

Joyce has a passion for helping others get a glimpse of the value of self-empowerment. She uses the written word every day to share her thoughts and experiences with clients to help them set their own life goals. She truly believes that a positive attitude and looking within ourselves for support are the best ways to achieve success in our endeavors. Showing her true personality, she says, “I have to write as much as I have to breathe!”

According to Joyce, the best reward she receives from her writing efforts is hearing from readers who’ve been impacted by her words. That, above all, is what keeps her motivated to write. As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Joyce to share her thoughts on article writing and marketing.

1. What sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

My passion is to assist others to recognize and love how truly self-empowered they are. So many individuals want more or want to be more, to have experiences and outcomes they truly desire. They tend to tell (and retell) themselves and others non-supportive stories. I believe that people can fine tune their ability to identify, aim at, and hit their ideal targets in every area of their life — and do so more effortlessly and enjoyably. I not only believe, but know individuals have the answers right for them within. They can get into the practice of not only seeking the right answers, but seeking the right questions first. To value this process as well as their experiences, and to do this consistently is important.

2. What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

I write from the heart then ask myself “If I were reading the article, would what I wrote answer my question or make me consider a new thought?” Find what works and do more of it. Stay open to learning.

3. How do you stay motivated to write articles?

I have to write as much as I have to breathe! Plus, the fact I publish a free weekly newsletter online means I must write at least one article a week.

4. How do you decide what to write about?

I have more inspiration than I allow time to write. What often happens is one idea inspires me profoundly or gives me a hard nudge — sometimes hours before I need to publish.

5. How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

UPI was the first venue where I published articles when they still called us columnists; and I was invited to do so by the editor after he was late for work because he couldn’t stop reading my Guru book (that’s how he introduced himself: “I was late for work today and it’s your fault!”). Columnists were limited to 600 words or less, so I had to learn how to write everything down, then make it shorter. The format changed and this loosened. What I do now is follow my inspirations, “sleep” on the article if time allows, and work on it until I feel satisfied. And, I’m okay about deleting anything that doesn’t really need to be included. I free-flow, revise, edit, revise, edit …

6. How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

EzineArticles shows up quite often as the site where my articles are read.

7. How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

It’s a vital part. It creates connections, clients, sales and opportunities.

8. What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

Article Reports is a valuable tool, among all the terrific ones you offer. Press Release is handy, especially because of EzineArticles’ recognition as a valuable source of information — plus, it’s free! The tools also make EzineArticles easy to recommend to others just getting started with article writing.

9. If you had to start over again, what would you change?

Every early article. Just kidding! I could say, “Had I known then what I know now,” but I’m a proponent of things happening in their right timing. It’s important to be where you are now and be open to learning and growing.

10. Anything else you’d like to share?

If anyone has an answer, solution, or insight for others and they withhold it — stop it! Write and share. It’s an amazing feeling to get an email from a reader from anywhere, especially living on the other side of the world, who took a moment to express appreciation for your words to share how your musings benefited them in some way. Even one such email makes it all worth it. Trust yourself and take the calculated risks every writer takes.

Joyce had these nuggets of knowledge to share with newbie and veteran authors alike:

• Use your own voice.
  • Appreciate that your writing will improve the more you write, and allow yourself to enjoy the process of evolving as a writer.
  • Read what you’ve written aloud before you consider it ready.

Take these nuggets with you for your next writing session. They’ll help you make each article you write just a little bit better. Also, leave a comment for Joyce. She’d love to hear from you!

Benson Lu writes:

Good job Joyce! I like the voice from the bottom of one’s heart. You let me know something!

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Eddington writes:

I couldn’t agree more to Joyce, I think self-improvement really opens up individuals. Many people just aren’t aware of their potential and self-empowerment plays a major part in unleashing one’s potential.

However many people are resistant to this change. It’s very interesting to learn that personal development has been going for years and yet many people are still not aware of it.

I was listening to one of Zig Ziglar’s CD’s when I had him talk about a seminar he presented way back in the 70’s? I really think the computer has done wonders in this respect.

Thanks for the tips Joyce.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

sreekumar writes:

It bridges the gap between communities. Writing empowers them to spread their ideas. It also enables to know how different people react on same issue.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 11:10 AM

ChrisCD writes:

Your attitude and passion are infectious. Thank you for taking the time to share about your thought process on writing and publishing.

Have an excellent day.
cd :O)

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Fidelis Enwemeka writes:

Thanks for being generous with your ideas. Your revelations will, no doubt help us gain more insight into various aspecs of our writing experiences.

Have a pleasant day.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Congratulations, Joyce, on using what seems to be your inner joy to write!

And yes, amen on using one’s own voice. It separates the real deal from the faux.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 4:18 PM

magnd writes:

This is amazing. I really grabbed something.

One or two hints they for encouragement.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM

magnd writes:

Really the best way to express oneself. It is all fun when done for passion.

Thanks for those tips

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time out to share your insightful thought on writing.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Mary Martin writes:

Thanks Joyce for your enthusiastic sharing of tips for writing articles. I like the way you say that we improve with practice and to write from the heart. Thanks!

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Charles LaRose writes:

Hi Joyce,

Your attitude for success is quite inspirational and the power of that attitude is evident in your writing success.

Thank you for the poitive energy!

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Rian writes:

Thanks for sharing your thought Madam. That was awesome! Made me inspired to write.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Ra Perumal writes:

Great work, Joyce. You’re an inspiration. There is always this fear that what you’re writing can’t be interesting to anyone. You’ve made me think again.

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 9:49 PM

maryanne bachia writes:

Thank you, Joyce for your article. I love how generous and easy you are with your support and joy about writing! I love your sheer sense of having something to say and you know someone will be happy to listen. Thanks for that!

Comment provided September 17, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Tim Hardy writes:

Dear Joyce, Thank you for such inspirational advice – can’t wait to get writing. Tim Hardy

Comment provided September 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Kislay Chauhan writes:

Hi Joyce Shafer
I was reading your case study in my mail,I was really amazed from your answers,you are so much soulful and attached to writing,Joyce I have started to write a book before some days ago,but after writing 10 pages I am really confused now that how I take it further,should I delete all the matter or any other ? One thing more Joyce I would rather happy if you would like to see my website
Thanks So much
Good Luck

Comment provided September 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Ajang Rojali writes:

I’m glad to read your experience in writing, and I give you apresiai to do to help others. I hope you are successful always

Comment provided September 20, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Jose Bulao writes:

Thank you, Joyce, for sharing with us your insights in writing. I am indebted to your advice to read the article aloud before submitting it.

Comment provided September 20, 2010 at 4:32 AM

Rose Puff writes:

I started writing to get traffic to my website. I am not a good writer but it seems to grow on you. Thanks for the nuggets. They will come in handy.

Comment provided September 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Very inspiring words, Joyce. Thank you so much for sharing your tips. As a self-improvement article writer and author, I will take your words with me.

Also, I agree with you…getting a comment on one of my articles is the best gift ever!

Comment provided September 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Kenneth Potts writes:

Hi Joyce, thank you for the pearls of wisdom. You are truly an inspiration.

Comment provided September 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Ryan Brower writes:

Hi Joyce,

Your article really hit home for me. I am interested in similar topics, like self empowerment, and every time I get boxed in trying to write on other subjects I loose interest.

The comment about appreciating that your writing will improve is one I have to keep reminding myself.

Thanks for the article, it was inspiring.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Angela Kenny writes:

Thank you so much for such a great read. Your Website is awesome.

Comment provided August 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM