6 Tips to Create the Perfect Call-to-Action

It’s time to evaluate the effectiveness of your call-to-action.

The call-to-action is one of the most important concepts to master in article writing and marketing. It’s where you tell the reader what to do once they’ve finished reading your article. Once you show you have valuable insights to offer in body of the article, the call-to-action gives your reader their next step. That’s why most calls-to-action come at the end of the article.

You can’t expect your audience to read your mind and know what they need to do next, so use a well-crafted call-to-action to help them out. In this video, I’ll share how to write a perfect call-to-action. To be effective, your call-to-action should be simple, positive and beneficial. In other words, make it clear why they should do what you’re asking of them in as few words as possible.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Here’s a recap of the tips from the video:

1. Tell Them What to Do – A reader should never finish one of your articles and be left thinking “What do I do next?” Your call-to-action should quickly answer this question and give the reader some direction. It normally fits best at the end of a blog post, video or article.
  2. Keep it Simple – Your call-to-action should always be easy to understand and do. If it’s too complex, your readers won’t do it. Also, consider any barriers they may face in following through on your call-to-action because the barrier may demolish their interest in you.
  3. Only Have One Call-to-Action – Your readers’ time is just as precious as yours. If you give them more than one thing to do, they might not do anything at all.
  4. Make it Positive – People like to be associated with positive ideas and concepts, so keep this in mind when writing your call-to-action. Including any negativity in your message could have an impact on how it’s received.
  5. Make it Beneficial – Be clear about the main benefits of completing the call-to-action. If you’re leading them to a website or email newsletter, explain why they need to take action. Also, you have their attention, so tell them to complete the action now. This may be the only time they encounter your work, so use the call-to-action to open the possibility of developing a professional relationship.
  6. Display the Full Website Address – If your article is picked up and reprinted by a publisher, using the full website address ensures the link will hold up in the reprinted version. Anchor text, on the other hand, may not be as reprint-friendly. Using the full website address also helps to build your brand.

Use the tips in this video now to write and submit your next set of original articles with effective calls-to-action for more high-quality traffic back to your website or blog.

Eddington writes:

More great tips as usual thank you sir! I am always trying to improve mine and these tips will sure go a long way.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Jeff writes:

‘…surely go a long way…’

Adverb required.

Kayla Block writes:

Do I get to leave a call to action in my comment? ;-)

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Mark Call writes:

Awesome advise as usual, my friend!

Just wanted to take a minute to thank you for ALL the valuable tips YOU and the Team at EzineArticles give us on a regular basis.

Your tips have made my blog and submitted articles MUCH more Successful!

Thanks again,

Mark Call

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Mark, it’s OUR pleasure. I can honestly say that we love what we do! :-) None-the-less, I’m happy to hear that the videos and other media are serving their intended purpose.

Dave Doolin writes:

I need these tips, badly.

I’m not much of a video person, so I didnt’ watch the video and don’t know if you provided an example. It would be super helpful to have an example in the text, because I’m about to Amplify it. (Just did.)

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Eddington writes:

Hey Dave, just thought I would let you know that your website link doesn’t seem to be working, I clicked on your name and it didn’t work.

BTW, what’s your prefered learning style then if you are not a video person? I love them and I like reading through materials too, just that some videos are poorely done and they keep hanging, which can be annoying.

Short reports are great.

Dave Doolin writes:

I learn by doing, no other way. Generally, text is the easiest way for me to bootstrap into the doing part.

Lecture and audio, forget it. College was hard. I did best in classes that had homework, or when I recopied all the notes (very time consuming).

From video, I can learn if I take notes, but I have to watch the whole thing to see if it’s worth while.

But I can speed read text, and decide whether something is worth implementing.

For example, I’m about write an offer, which is why I’m back on this page.

I fixed my URL for this comment. It would be very cool if someone fixed the URL for the other comment, but no big deal. I’ll be back comment again anyway.

Wesley writes:

Good, simple information! Thank you.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Maestro writes:

Bravo! Very good and inspiring, although very simple.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM

ayuan writes:

I have never used the sixth tip of “Display the Full Website Address” and haven’t realized it is very important. Thanks! I will apply these tips.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Brad Davis writes:

An area of article marketing that often is overlooked by the end of writing the piece, great advice!

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Rudy writes:

Just opened a uniform store and you advice was really helpful. We adjusted our marketing letter and can the the positive results already. Keep up the good work.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Sherryl Perry writes:

Great use of video! If you only have one call to action, do you repeat it on each of your articles? Won’t your regular readers tire from seeing it?

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Sherryl, a call to action may go unnoticed or not acted upon several times by a given reader. But if it’s a good and consistent CTA, eventually they’ll bite – and that’s what you want to have happen. However, it may be worthwhile to test multiple CTAs in an effort to see which work best.

Jeremy Selb writes:

Thanks, once again an awesome informative video to help your members. I found this one very useful personally and will put it to use right away.
Thanks again.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Wahl writes:

thanks for your tips, Marc. I’ll follow your effective guideline.

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Subodh Sarkar writes:

Your excellent tips for writing call-to=action is really useful. I am a technical writer and normally engrossed in technology details. This kind of tips will make my articles useful for the readers.
Thanks for your good effort,
Subodh Sarkar

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Thank you for this concise and valuable information regarding “calls to action”…

I will implement this NOW!

Mitchell Dillman

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Denver Painters writes:

Call to actions is the most important in article writing and Thank you Marc for sharing. Great tips keeping us focused why we write articles in the first place! In our line of work, we try providing helpful information, giving another main (keyword/link) source, for further study has been our call to action and driving force. The main keyword we wish to rank higher for is found in last paragraph and think should be included in title as well as blog posts. lol

Comment provided September 24, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Thanks Marc, I appreciate the tips and they seem really simple to do…

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM

CD Duplication writes:

Watched the video and naturally its all pretty simple but until someone points out these things you just dont figure it.
After watching I’ve just added some of the advice to my latest article.
Thank you.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM

Thanks for advising us to use the full website address. I wrestle with that decision because sometimes it becomes a hot link (which I like) and sometimes it doesn’t. I don’t mean specifically here but anywhere I might post.

From now on that’s how I will play it. I would have tried it here in my comment but as I recollect that is not permitted.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Just an FYI: We will allow links in Blog comments provided they are not “self-serving” or spammy.

Danielle writes:

Thank you. Very good advice to implement in my next articles.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Thank you for that tip Marc, but are you saying that I am allowed to leave a link at the end of my article? I thought that I could only leave a link in my bio, could you please clarify as I have a new article to submit.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Yes, you can have links within your article. Check out this Blog post and video for a more thorough explanation: http://blog.EzineArticles.com/2010/07/2-minute-approval-tips-limit-your-links.html

Felicia Brown writes:

Thank you for these tips. I actually reposted it on my blog (coming out Monday) so that my followers would see them.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Cal Phillips writes:

Thanks for Great Call to Action Tips Marc! I see this information useful in other syndication we may be personally associated with, such as blogs. Really like the Tip “Have only one Call to Action”, as this can be very confusing having too many in one article. Thanks again, helping all of us stay focused!

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Jeff Herring writes:

Thanks Marc for some good tips on something people easily mess up.

~ Jeff

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Eric J Smith writes:

Thanks Marc…

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Sanjiv writes:

Thanks Marc,
Those were some great and useful Tips. Never did this before and now feel the urgent need to put this into practice.

Comment provided September 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Elzabe Brown writes:

Thanks. This is great common sense information. We’ll be putting it to good use in our new business web site.

Comment provided September 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Emily Sandstrom writes:

The plural of ‘call to action’ is ‘calls to action.’

Comment provided September 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

How right you are! Thanks for the heads up … or is that head ups? ;-)

hazel wagner writes:

What are you using to put together your terrific videos with white background and pop out signs?

Comment provided September 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

We use a combination of software packages including Final Cut Pro and Motion. The real “secret” to the quality of the videos is that they are shot with broadcast quality cameras using professional lighting and production techniques.

Flori Stone writes:

Hi Marc, thanks for the call to action post., I once heard the phrase or acronym BPAS used when talking about calls to action. Which stands for “Basically People Are Stupid” – meaning we assume this when they look at our sites, so we need to be very clear about what we want them to do next.

Comment provided September 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Rusty writes:

I didn’t understand this article.

It seemed to go against what I thought I knew about EzineArticles. But I tried to put it into action only to end up with a rejected article for a call to action.

I don’t understand call to action? Where in the article or did you mean only in the resource box?

Help me understand, you seem to be saying sell in your article but when tired, the article was rejected.

Comment provided October 1, 2010 at 11:16 AM

The proper place for the call to action is in the Resource Box, not in the article body itself.

Rusty writes:

Okay, everything else I had written was written that way. Working on pitch and squeeze pages lately, my brain probably became focused. :) Maybe I can fix that article.

I saw it as an experiment.

Frankie Cooper writes:

This is some great and useful information to definitely apply to my next batch of articles.

Comment provided December 4, 2010 at 6:56 AM

R S Chawla writes:

real Great information. EzineArticles has been a great help in promoting my sites

Your tips in writing good articles are really very useful

Comment provided December 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Walter Brown writes:

Good tips, but…

I feel like I have been rejected for using a call to action that was something like “for more, visit my site…” with the explanation that telling people “for more” was the same as saying “I left something out” in the body of the article.

I STRESS so much over how to structure my calls to action to try and avoid being rejected, but I see many, many other people blatantly saying “for more, go here”

Am I wrong, or did I dream my rejection?

Regardless, good tips!

Comment provided July 14, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Using “for more, go here” will not qualify as an automatic rejection but we’ll be more than happy to take a look at your account. Someone from our Member Support team will be in touch with you shortly.

Wally writes:

Thanks Penny!

Maybe I was wrong and have been stressing over nothing.

Great video. Do you have lesson where you mention the tools you are using to get the effects you got in this video?

Comment provided July 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

trevor writes:

In your call to action tell your subscriber or visitor exactly what they’re getting when they click on something and make sure what they’re getting is the main benefit of the product you’re promoting. Thanks for your interesting article..

Comment provided March 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM