2 Minute Approval Tip: Monitor Keyword Repetition

7th Episode in the “2 Minute Approval Tips” video series.

This series is designed to help get your articles approved on the first submission. We’ve looked at past submission records to find the most common reasons why articles aren’t approved on the initial try. Since we know your time is precious, we’ve compressed this information into individual 2-minute videos.

When used effectively, search engine optimization is one of those things that can really elevate your article marketing efforts to the next level. Because search engines use keyword relevancy in their ranking algorithms, crafting each article around a specific set of keywords and phrases is a great way to get noticed by search engines. However, if you constantly repeat keywords or phrases too much, your article will appear spammy and won’t be easy to read. Remember that clear, easy to understand language is the most effective way to communicate your message and build a reputation for quality content.

Your writing goals should include crafting each article around specific keywords and communicating your message clearly. In this “2 Minute Approval Tips” episode, I’ll share how to write search-engine-friendly content that isn’t stuffed with keywords.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

If you don’t have two minutes to spare, here’s a quick recap of the seventh “2 Minute Approval Tip”:

• Interrupting the Flow – Placing too many keywords in an article can interrupt the flow of it. Search engine optimization is important, but providing content that can be read and understood by your audience is more important.

• Maximum of 2% Keyword Density – For every 100 words, your keyword may be repeated only twice. Aim for 1% – but if you have valuable content, you will be allowed to be in the 2% range.

• Submit Form Will Guide You – If your article repeats the same keyword a lot, the article submission form will alert you that the keyword density of the article is high. You may not be able to submit the article when this warning is showing.

• Read Aloud – To avoid writing articles that sound keyword dense, read the entire submission aloud before submitting it. This will give you a chance to step back from the piece and observe the way the words work together. If it doesn’t sound right, make changes.

To check out the entire “2 Minute Approval Tips” series, click here. Put this and all the other “2 Minute Approval Tips” to good use when writing your next set of quality, original articles.

Also, leave us a comment to share one of your own approval tips for using keywords effectively.

Eamon Greville writes:

Hi Marc

I find the article submission form really useful for alerting when keyword has been over used.

Reading aloud is also useful as it soon becomes apparent if an article has an artificially high keyword usage.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Nazeer Ahmad Chaudhry writes:

Thanks Marc for Wonderful tips for guidance of writers. My highest appreciation for the team helping writers by useful tips. Reading aloud would give many new ideas to writers. I had been quoting many writers repeating the sentence of one author in their articles “Tanks were hit like ducks in Gulf War”. I was highly surprised to notice the same sentence repeated in my two of articles when I read them aloud but it was after publication of articles.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Marte writes:

Thanks for putting these tips in text as well as video. Since I’m on Satellite Internet, accessing videos is at best a slow and painful process, and at worst impossible.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Johnny Stansell writes:

Another good tip, but I am wondering why 2% when most SEO experts tell you to saturate keywords at 4% for web pages.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Johnny,

Anytime we begin to feel that our members want to use EzineArticles as a tool to game the search engines, we fight back.

We’re not here to help you get a major edge in the search engines. This isn’t our game plan nor intention.

If that happens, good for you and good for us together, but it is NOT our primary focus.

In addition, it’s a delicate relationship with the search engines. We want to help them index 100% of our members articles… but the articles need to all be worthy of being indexed.

Our focus is on helping you attract the most targeted traffic for your best quality original article submissions.

Also, most members who write to meet some specific keyword density metric have taken their eyes off what’s in the best interest of their own customers. To us, this makes no sense.

Hope this gives some clarity to why we’re so strict in what we allow.

R Bryan Anthony writes:

I’m new to Article writing and marketing. I find EzineArticles’ article submission guidelines and process one of the most beneficial training tools on the Net…if not the BEST!

When I write, due to my 14 yrs. of higher education, I tend to write on a higher level. I’m learning how to adjust for my readers.

In doing so, I will place my Keywords with the appropriate % ratio and include more “relating” keywords or phrases to help the reader along, without abusing the guidelines.

As I continue to learn about writing online and discovering my “voice,” I look forward to always provide positive, relevant, and honest value for my readers.

Thanks, EzineArticles for this type of platform and opportunity to make a huge difference!

Sincerely,

R_Bryan_Anthony

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Marc writes:

One problem occurs when you’re writing about a product such as xbox. It gets pretty awkward when writing about it and not being allowed to use its name. You can refer to it as “it” but doing that too much gets confusing since the reader won’t know what “it” refers to. You can also call it “the machine” or “your machine” or “your console”. In the end I think the 1% rule is artificial and silly when the keyword coincides with the name of whatever or whomever you are writing about. The 2% rule is a bit more reasonable.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Lynn Hahn writes:

Thank you! I really hate key word saturation. I hate even doing anything with key words. I believe if you write an interesting article and then look for key words in the article all comes out well.

As a reader I can generally tell if an article has been written with “giving good information” in mind or if it’s just a ploy to get me to go to the authors website.

There are those who make tons of blogs that have no content just to try to push the adwords. I can recognize those right off the bat and quickly leave their blog.

I really appreciate your support of providing readers with valid information.

Comment provided September 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Gino Robin writes:

Hi,thanks for the very good post, I appreciate it.

Since keywords tend to show the publicity of articles,Do keywords also not block the flow of writing.

Article writing go so far now,as in ancient times,it start with a post office letter,now it take a new level.

Thanks
Gino

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I just put my coffee down on my new EzineArticle coaster, and read this post. I thought to myself, how other online article directories, some that are no longer active sites (turned off) had 10s of 1,000s of articles, just like what you describe here. And I was reminded how much it turns me off as a reader when I end up at one from a search engine search.

Luckily, the good online directory sites, this one, do not allow that garbage, and luckily too the search engines are on to that keyword stuffing trickery, often lowering the validity and rankings of such sites. I think that’s great.

Key word stuffing is a real nightmare for the reader – it insults their intelligence and makes the author look stupid, and that tactic no longer works, good riddens to keyword stuffed articles!

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 2:49 AM

Mark Stephens writes:

As always another great tip, thanks! This type of information helps us all to become better authors and provide a better experience for our readers.

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Lugene Brantley writes:

Thanks Marc, for the 2 minute video approval tips. The quality of the video is outstanding, however, I am one of the slow people. I miss a lot in the videos.
I saw where Marte mentioned text for the videos. Where does one get the text? I don’t want to miss out on such excellent advice. Thanks again, Lugene

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Thanks for the compliments! =)

The outline of the video is always located directly below the video itself. Typically, you have to click on the (Continue Reading…) link to see the entire post. If the video is exceptionally complex, we’ll create a PDF file to go with it as well.

Nancy Hausauer writes:

Sometimes there are just no substitutes for a particular keyword, and you can only use pronouns so many times. What then? Do I just not write that article? While I understand the need to control keyword stuffing, sometimes the 1% and even the 2% rule seem too rigid.

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I agree Nancy.

It’s too bad the evil intention of others have forced us to create a tighter policy than we’d have liked to.

Keep in mind… we’re talking KEY PHRASE density here with the 2% rule, not KEYWORD density.

Big difference.

What’s our keyword density limit?

We don’t publish it. It changes on purpose. I can tell you it’s quite a bit more than 2%.

Nancy,

Our submit form won’t allow an article to pass that has more than 2%. Perhaps a couple of drills of writing without thinking about the words will help you.

When I write with a topic in mind, I tend to fall prey to the keyword because it’s easier. Even in some cases, I overuse phrases like ‘in addition’ or ‘also’ without even realizing that I am doing it. When I realize my issue, and I focus on just writing what I know, I am often pleased with the results.

Remember, you are the expert. The details and the how-to’s are often keyword bare because it makes better sense. Focus on just writing what you know and you may surprise yourself. Your articles are education tools. Would you still bliss out about your keywords if you had to read them in your article to your audience in front of the room? Chances are no, you would re-write it so it visually makes sense.

If you are having trouble with, try reading it aloud and see how you feel about it.

Comment provided September 2, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Leslie Cie writes:

Great tip! However, I do find it ironic how many times he repeated his words to make a point. I wonder how would he have written this tip….

Comment provided September 6, 2010 at 12:05 PM

An insightful point, Leslie. It would be an interesting experiment to undertake – fell free to do so and post the results right here. I’d love to know whether or not I’m a spammy speaker! ;-)

lynn Hahn writes:

I hate stuffed key words too but I just ran across a problem. I wrote an article about how fat burns. There is no other term for fat. Blubber would be rude. My article didn’t sound as good because I had to use “it” and “storage” several times when “fat” was the word needed.

Is there any way to deal with that? If you leave “fat” off your keywords would that work?

Comment provided September 7, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Without looking and reviewing the article in question, this is a hard one to answer. I will take a look into it and have our Member Support team email you privately.

Jose Bulao writes:

The discussion about keyword or keyphrase density is very well done. What I usually do is I just write the article, then I search for the keywords that matter most. I hope this is alright also, rather that intentionally thinking of what keywords to insert as we go on writing.

Comment provided September 9, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Comment provided September 14, 2010 at 3:57 PM

UGG Adirondack writes:

it is usefull i like it very much

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 9:56 AM