Quick Case Study: Marcia Yudkin

The 10th edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

Marcia Yudkin is the author of 11 books, including 6 Steps to Free Publicity, and hundreds of magazine articles. She’s currently a marketing consultant for businesses around the world and helps judge the “Inc. Magazine Small Business Web Awards.”

Marcia has also taken on the role of Expert Author on EzineArticles. With years of writing experience behind her, Marcia uses each of her published articles as a roadmap for her next ezine writing and marketing opportunity. Expanding on content in previous articles is a way to write material that contains plenty of new information and builds on the ideas of previous submissions. For example, she says, “Where you’ve collected many do’s and don’ts in one article, break them out in more depth. Each point getting its own article-length treatment.” This type of strategy helps Marcia write more about each topic she covers and stay detail-oriented.

She also re-purposes content across different platforms to build her online presence. “I like to participate in online forums and lead teleseminars. My explanations in those venues often get reworked into EzineArticles pieces.” She continues, “Tips that I have written up as articles then reappear in books, and vice versa.” This is one way to build your reputation as an expert across a variety of platforms to reach new audiences.

Re-Purposed Vs. Rewritten Content

Re-purposing content is a great strategy if you are using different platforms in your article writing and marketing campaign, but Marcia reminds us that there’s a distinct difference between re-purposing content across different platforms and rewriting it. Rewritten content provides no new information. She says, “Article spinning is a technology-assisted way of creating multiple articles with different wording. The articles say exactly the same thing, but cannot be easily flagged as duplicates.” She adds, “To me, article spinning is a trick created to game the system and does not benefit the public.”

Instead, she recommends that you provide all your own original material. She says, “Don’t outsource writing. People want to read articles with personality as well as content. Readers respond to your unique set of attitudes and information, which rarely comes across from a hired writer. And definitely don’t post lousy articles that are little more than keywords strung together in minimally interesting sentences. This just clogs the Internet with junk and wastes everyone’s time!”

For Marcia, revisiting past articles is a source of inspiration for new detail-oriented articles. The key is using the articles to generate more original content and avoid sharing the same information with different wording.

“DO’s” and “DON’Ts” From Marcia:

DO:

• Write new articles to expand on topics mentioned briefly in previous content.

• Reach a wider audience by re-purposing content across a variety of platforms.

• Show your expertise in the details and real-world examples you can provide.

DON’T:

• Don’t outsource your writing because the personality of the content will suffer. Use your expertise to separate yourself from other authors.

• Don’t use rewriting software or article spinners to make more articles.

Incorporate these guidelines while writing your next set of quality original articles and let us know how they work for you. Also, leave a comment for Marcia. She can’t wait to hear from you.

Rob Britt writes:

I look at a lot of PLR as a jumping of point, for inspiration on topics and that sort of thing. This way I can get new ideas for the basis of articles while keeping my own voice and injecting my thoughts and ideas. Putting usable content rather than ‘teasing’ is the best way to get people to click through on your resource links.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Marcia Yudkin writes:

Rob, Great way to use Private-label material. It jump starts your thinking, but you still are using your own writing voice and perspective in your articles. Everyone wins that way.

Tammie J. writes:

Excellent advice. I couldn’t agree with you more about article spinning. As a webmaster, I often publish articles written for the various article directories to my blogs, (I ALWAYS give the author credit for their work), and it’s very discouraging to see the mangling of a good article, with information I could use, into some of the poorly written fluff that gets published. Sadly, those articles end up not getting published to my sites, and if you pay attention to the stats, most of them don’t even get more than a couple of page views.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Susan Greene writes:

Marcia, I’ve been a long-time subscriber to your newsletter. Each edition includes valuable tips as do your many articles here.

With regard to EzineArticles, do you feel you get more benefit from placing your articles on this site rather than posting them on your own website for SEO purposes?

I ask because this is an issue I’m currently wrestling with myself.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Marcia Yudkin writes:

Susan,

What I’ve been doing in the last few years is adding content to my own site sparingly and publishing articles here on EzineArticles and similar sites to drive traffic to specific autoresponder opt-ins.

I try not to confuse the search engines with the same content posted both on my own site and on article banks.

This approach has been working well for me.

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks very useful advice

Great emphasis on original informative content- quality rather than quantity!

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Chris Kent writes:

I’ve never outsourced my article writing either. I don’t see the point – the quality is so low.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Pam Lokker writes:

Repurposed vs. rewritten vs leave well enough alone?

Marcia, I find myself in a particular predicament. I started out with writing about a company as I was an affiliate. Now however, after learning of certain less than satisfactory practices, I have now become an affiliate of that company’s competitor.

What should I do? I’ve already written about the first company because at the time I was very pleased with them. Now? Please help if you have time.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM

gbenga writes:

marcia this is awesome and really straight to the point.article marketing is the most effective and cheapest way of driving traffics and earning easily online.you have really proved this this is really good work.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Tim Neilson writes:

Marcia,

I’ve got so many ‘newsletter’ emails from EzineArticles piling up in my inbox that it was almost too overwhelming to open even one, BUT I did and read your brilliant article. Thanks for that piece… as I put these ideas together ‘brick by brick’….

Sincerely,

Tim

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Karen Alison writes:

Marcia,
Although math is not my strong suit, it looks like you’ve been publishing almost 2 articles per month on EzineArticles for the last 6 years. Was this a strategy or was it what you had time for–or a bit of both?

Do you have any comments about strategies for writing articles quickly?

Thanks.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Marcia Yudkin writes:

Karen,

No, that’s not the case. Sometimes months go by without me posting any articles. Then when I have something specific I want to promote, I will write a series of articles and post two or three a week for several weeks running.

I’m getting ready to write a new batch of articles on marketing for introverts this month and next because I’d like to fill my upcoming seminar on that topic and the articles get people moving through my marketing funnel.

John Highman writes:

Marcia, thanks for the great guidance. It shows that quality content provided by real people with real skill stands well above the generic ‘all-rounders’. I am a number of years behind you in article numbers but things are building fast. Your guidance helps greatly. Thanks again.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Louise Lovison writes:

Hi Marsha:

Have to admit that I tried using one of those article spinners and got the shock of my life. The spun article came back making no sense whatsoever. It read as if a person from a foreign country, without any knowledge of English grammar or sentence structure wrote it. It took me an hour to clean it up. If I had rewritten the article manually originally it would have taken me fifteen minutes. Why do people use these things???

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Carol Palmatier writes:

Hi Marcia,

As a writer myself, I totally respect your position on “don’t outsource your articles.” However, for many business people, writing is a source of real pain!

I do business with some wonderfully smart and talented people…AND they outsource their article writing to me. Granted, this is not the typical, cheap “10 for a $1″ style of article. I take the time to know their style and voice, learn their business, and write compelling content. Outsourcing does work if you make the effort to do it well. :-)

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Marvin writes:

Hi Marsha!

I’m new in EzineArticles.com and the newsletter featuring you has been one of the first that I received. Your tips are going to help me start out in the right way in EzineArticles. They are also fresh insights on how to keep a continuous flow of articles in my blogs.

Thanks to you thanks, and thanks again to you after every article I write following your advise.

Marvin

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Rose Puff writes:

Thank you for all the information. I am fairly new and You have put me on the right path. I am not a good writer but I am going to try harder.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Keith writes:

Hi,

You said “Don’t outsource writing. People want to read articles with personality as well as content. Readers respond to your unique set of attitudes and information, which rarely comes across from a hired writer.”

As a ghostwriter who makes his living creating vibrant and useful content for those who either can’t or choose to spend their time on other aspects of their business, I would beg to differ. While there are certainly poor outsourcers, you tend what you pay for in this arena.

Just my 2 cents!

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Rose Puff writes:

I have and still use copywriters from time to time. I have the articles written and then insert some of my own ideas. I think there is a big demand for good copywriters on the internet and in business.

Vanessa writes:

Hi Marsha

Great article and very informative. Can’t wait for your articles on introverts.

Vanessa

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 6:50 PM

DCSells writes:

In a way I don’t know why I’m writing this except I just read your comments and enjoyed them very much ( like a cool breeze on a very hot day).
I’m retired from my own consulting business and have a little over a year invested in research and learning about article marketing ( and I’ll say it has been extremely interesting time {oh the joys of mankind}). I never knew so many could lie so often.
I’ve not written my first article yet, but I can see the dark clouds parting and a brilliant glimmering ray of expectancy lingering just beyond (who knows).

Tanks for your comments and you have a GREAT week.

Dave.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 7:19 PM

sreekumar writes:

It is really amazing to see how energetic and entrepreneurial you are to write so much articles with a definite purpose. Do’nt know when can I achieve the target.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Linda Bell writes:

Great suggestions Marcia, I am working to build up my article numbers on EzineArticles and being a copywriter I really believe that content is still king! Who’s got time to read poor quality ‘filler’ articles.
I’m with you.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 8:05 PM

have a nice day.

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM

mukul writes:

Marica Yudkin i appreciate ur efforts for making us aware of SEO….

i m sure this will definitely help me in improving my content writing

Comment provided August 10, 2010 at 10:51 PM

A good sentence of “Where you’ve collected many do’s and don’ts in one article, break them out in more depth. Each point getting its own article-length treatment.”
that give me more ideas for my future diretion. Tks

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Chitralekha writes:

Marcia,
Thank you. This is a very worthy guidance for stumbling writers like me. I guess I shall expand on my previous articles and write more different details. There is so much stuff in my head, but, sometimes it is hard to put them down in paper in a proper manner. EzineArticles helps a lot by sending such newsletters/advice given by great authors like you and others.
Thanks again.

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Chet Waters writes:

Hi Marcia,

I found it very refreshing to read your real world advice about writing articles. You are absolutely right about the importance of writing original material and grounding it with personal experience.

I have subscribed to your newletter and look forward to more of your insights Marcia.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

All The Best,

Chet Waters

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Prakhar Singhal writes:

Hello Marcia,
This article is the first of yours I am reading and seriously regret for not having read them before.
Well, I am looking for an advice here; I blog on blogspot and post the same content (a bit modified) on EzineArticles. Is this wrong? What’s your say on this?

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Aine Ireland writes:

Hello Marcia,
I totally agree with you points on not outsourcing, however it can be time consuming to create unique articles in your field without repeating yourself. I like to merge articles and add new content as often as possible but I do understand where some peopel are coming from.

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Susie Watts writes:

Hi Marcia,
I have been receiving your newsletter for sometime and it is one I usually read thoroughly. I have been writing for EzineArticles for almost a year now and I am getting a great deal of satisfaction from the whole experience.
Sometimes I am amazed at the poor quality of article writing on different directories. It looks like a article spinner was involved. Thanks for continuing to inspire me.

Comment provided August 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Charles LaRose writes:

Hi Marcia,

Thank you for your informative article. I am new to EzineArticles.com; although, wisdom such as yours will surely give me the competitive edge that I desire!

Thanks again,

Charles

Comment provided August 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Marcia,

I’ve been writing articles for several months but new to EzineArticles. I’ve also been spinning my articles on the advice of a mentor. Thanks for your perspective on spinning.

I ask the following question as a newbie to EzineArticles. If you are writing a series of articles, how does the reader know it is a series or access another article in the series.

Blessings,

Arlene

Comment provided August 26, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Marcia Yudkin writes:

>>If you are writing a series of articles, how does the reader know it is a series or access another article in the series.<<

You can indicate this in the title, but if you do so, I suspect it will lower the chances of ezine editors publishing your article, since it will look like the article is not self-sufficient.

It's probably best to simply let people who like one of your articles a lot find the other ones.

Good luck,
Marcia Yudkin

Comment provided September 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM

sreekumar writes:

The strategy works only if you provide serious materials in your article. It depends how useful the information provided to the reader is.

Comment provided September 11, 2010 at 7:16 PM