Your Images-Photos in Your Articles

We need your help in determining the path of this potential new feature.

We recently started sharing information about possibly including images in your articles. What we’ve discovered thus far is that there are many Expert Authors who feel it would be an excellent, almost necessary, feature. On the other hand, there are an equal number of members who think that it’s not such a great idea.

We need some input from you on the following questions:

1. Size? – What size (in pixels) should the small and/or full-size image be? (We intend to only allow 1 image per article.)
  2. Location? – If the image is part of the article, where should it be located? The top (figure 2), middle (figure 3) or bottom of the article?
  3. In-Line Text Link? – Would you prefer that there be no thumbnail at all and instead have the article contain only an inline text link to the larger image? (figure 1)
  4. Premium vs. Non-Premium Feature? – Should only Premium members be given the thumbnail or full-size inline image option and non-Premium be given the inline text link only?
  5. Essential vs. Complimentary Images? – Should we allow images that are essential to the value and purpose of the article or just images that are complimentary to the article? In other words: If the image were removed from the article, would the article still make sense?

Personally, I have great reservations over this feature and have resisted it for a long time. My primary issue is that I suspect a lot of members will want to include an image that is essential to their article … so essential, that if the webmaster or ezine publisher who reprints their article doesn’t include the photo … both the author and EzineArticles will look stupid. Plus, we have data that suggests having images in articles may actually reduce your click-through rate.

Please leave a comment below in reply to any or all of these questions. Also feel free to give us your input on any other concerns or considerations about this potential new feature that we may not have mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Nauman writes:

If click through rates are going to reduce then there is no need for such a thing.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 8:45 AM

I fully understand your resisting this type of change. Indeed the idea of an EzinePublisher having to publish a photo when he was really interested in getting prime articles would appear somewhat strange.

Whatever you decide I won’t be using the feature anyway. If I need to create multimedia presentations I write a hubpage. But for me, EzineArticles is for articles – not photos. :-)

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Richard Rost writes:

I’ve always wanted to write MORE articles for your service because I see it’s invaluable potential, however I’m a computer expert who specializes in software training. It’s VERY hard to write computer-related articles to explain how to do something in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, etc. without being able to refer to an image or a screen shot.

Perhaps instead of embedding images in articles, you could allow authors to include a LINK to an image that they can host elsewhere. With a URL shortening service, it wouldn’t be that obtrusive and would flow nicely with the article.

“In order to start your mail merge, click on the Mail Merge button on the Ribbon, as shown here:

Just my two cents. I don’t think that it’s absolutely essential that you include images in the articles themselves if the authors can at least link to them.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Howard Sadowsky writes:

Richard Rosts’s idea for allowing a link in an ezine article for an author’s images should solve your issue. Personally, I have a Health article, “Fix My Aching Back”, that with three small images is worth 3,000 words. (If you ever experience a sacroiliac pain, you will appreciate such images…)

I now receive requests from your ezine readers with questions for wordy descriptions, when I can refer them to the same article with images on my website.

Irene Jones writes:

I believe adding photo to the article is a great idea. Photos breaks the column and it adds meaning to the article.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Gail writes:

I’m all for images, top of page, thumbnail ok. I write book reviews and I think people like to see what the cover looks like. I think they’d appreciate pics on other articles as well.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Shannon writes:

That’s something I hadn’t thought about. And if were to decrease click throughs I wouldn’t want to use it. I can understand the need for it if it’s a step by step article that relies on complicated directions that would need a photo.

But, I’m not sure it’s really needed for other types of articles. And I would worry about it detracting the readers from being engaged in the article wording and content.

It wouldn’t bother me if someone else needed or wanted to use it. To each his own, I suppose. I just wouldn’t want for silly images to be allowed that would detract from the overall perception of articles on the site. Just my two cents. Thanks for asking for opinions on this though.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:02 AM

For most articles, I don’t think images are necessary, though they will enhance their visual appeal. However, for reviews of products, books and software, images can provide useful information.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Eamon Greville writes:

Have found using an apple Mac that many internet marketing sites are not compatible – hope this would not follow suit.

Would not want technical issues to get in the way of creating content.

Also do not want yet more shots of people standing by flash cars, powerboats, clickbank screen shots etc boasting how much money they have made!

Not against tyhe idea but think it should be given careful attention

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Brendan writes:

I think that pictures are a good idea, nothing very big, 300 x 300 pixels max. Writing medical articles, I think that a picture of the area of the body, or even procedure being discussed would be invaluable.

If you do choose to use pictures they should appear in the top right hand of the article, just lie on this page, only smaller of course.

While it’s said that you can never judge a book by it’s cover, people will choose to read an article or not by the first picture they see.

I think that may have come out mixed sounding… I think pictures are a good idea. Period.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Edward Weiss writes:

It’s a no brainer here. Relevant pictures/photos will greatly enhance user experience. When a photo and copy go together, it’s like coffee and creamer. Both enhance each other.

Good idea to stick to one size. I would offer a choice of placement though, i.e, picture either on the left, right, or center.

The other thing is, you may have to reject articles that have irrelvant pics attached. But overall, a major and much needed change. I’d go for it.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Truby writes:

I think that this should take some serious thought before a decision is made. Perhaps thumbnail types may be ok, however, I think that some articles should be rejected because of photos that doesn’t meet guidlines that are put in place first.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Keith writes:

Who would be responsible for making sure that every image was free from copyright? Publishers would be annoyed (rightfully) if they took the article & image only to later find that the image was actually copyright and they had the original owner on their backs.

Yes, there are times when an image will make an explanation clearer, but as Richard Rost says, they can be linked to. And if an author is allowed to clearly state that images / diagrams are available on their own site and provides a link to a relevant page, that should increase click through rates.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Terry Weber writes:

My vote is to allow thumbnail size pictures. Why? In this day and age most people are visually acclimated (TV, Movies, Magazines, Newspapers, Ebay, Websites). Readers are in a hurry these days and one picture can focus attention and tell a story to add much to the value of the author’s words and save the reader’s time.

When I was a prize winning sales letter copywriter (for 3M, for example) we always used a photo or an artists drawing at the top of the letter, (almost like a headline) mainly to increase readership. Pictures are easy to “read.” I always use pictures on my eBay ads and my websites. I think one small picture is enough and a very a good way to increase readership.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Jeff Wise writes:

I really like photos and I think that they enhance articles.

I do have concerns about the folks who reprint the articles. I don’t have confidence that they will include the picture because many times today, they don’t include my active links from the resource box.

If this option were to get approved then I think it should be available to anyone who is a user of EzineArticles.

If I was assured that my image and the link within it would get republished then I am all for it.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM

John Turner writes:

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Or is it?
Who knows until we try.
We can always go back to the old way.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

peter elen writes:

it is good to send images on your blog site but i advise

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Joseph Riden writes:

Images are an essential mode of communication. Not having them in articles detracts from the article’s impact and information value. I’ve always felt handicapped by the lack of images in articles. When some form of visual can be included, something that illustrates or strengthens the message, the article comes our more interesting to the reader and potentially more informative.

So yes, I’d like to have the ability to include standard format images like PNG (preferred) or JPG. Two per article would usually satisfy but 3 would be better when needed. Authors could host images free in several places on the web and link to them. But the best solution would be to make it easy and just host them at EzineArticles.

Size? For most purposes, images should be adequate if allowed up to 500 x 800 pixels. Typically in my articles they would be placed at around 300 X 500. 150 x 400 is pretty small. Ability to edit the size is important. Options for small, medium, and large would be adequate.

Location? Wherever the author wants to place them within the bounds of the article. The editor application should allow options for text wrapping or in-line, and center, left, or right placement.

In-line link only? No. What would be the point? If there’s an image, let it be displayed. No links, no thumbnails. That stuff just confuses the reader and makes them work harder than an author would be wise to agree upon.

Premium vs. non-premuim? Don’t be stingy. Allowing images is going to make non-premium authors hate EzineArticles’s policies if they are used as leverage to make non-payers ante up. In my work, I champion intrinsic value in what a company offers because it has high impact on how people feel about a brand. Give your authors more good reasons to use EzineArticles rather than some other channel. We have choices.

Essential vs. complimentary? Who would make this decision? Nobody is better qualified than the author. This is another point where doing the wrong thing can turn something potentially good and attractive into a bad feeling about your brand. You have to have some rules about what can be allowed but let the authors decide about whether to put in appropriate images and if they do, don’t turn around and edit them out as ‘non-essential.’

You might want to take a look at how the most popular blog platform in the universe works — I blog there and something that keeps me there is the ability to place images.

One more thing — authors should be free to specify whether the images are required or not. In many cases, I would not want an article republished without essential graphics. In other cases it would not matter.

EzineArticles is on the brink of adding a significant value enhancement with images. I’ve missed having them and would greatly appreciate them. This is your chance to garner a lot of positive regard for your brand. Get it right and you’ll never regret the effort you put into finding out what your market really wants and then giving that to them.

So please market with meaning. Give us images!

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Joseph Riden writes:

Another viewpoint —

You wrote this article to poll authors on their ideas about images.

Then you included 3 images to illustrate the 5 textual questions.

Why did you place the images?

How would you feel if somewhere between you and your audience some editor decided to remove your images as non-essential?

What if size limits prevented you from making effective use of the images?

What if you had to start paying for something that you were getting without cash payment in order to place images? How would you feel about that?

Why didn’t you place your images as thumbnails or as a link?

OK, now take them out. Then read the article. How is the experience you have without the images?

Don’t you see the value of allowing images based on this series of questions?

All it takes to get this right is application of emotional intelligence to perceiving what’s going on in the minds of the authors, publishers and readers about the experience of using EzineArticles.

Hoping your decision has a lot of heart and looking forward to images in EzineArticles.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Images in this article becomes important when the photograph itself supports the explanation of the content. Author’s own self-images are also very meaningful, because when one reads an article or writing will seem like a dialogue with the author and if possible could be connected with the author will greatly help a reader who wanted to ask something about the sign.
Regarding the location of the photo in the article could be on the left or right, could also be in the middle. But in my opinion, ideally an image in an article written on the left side of writing, although other considerations may be placed on the left side of writing the article. Thanks

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Without pictures, an author is forced to use simple, easy to understand language to create a mental picture. That’s a good thing.

Yes, a picture may complement the text but hasn’t been necessary to date. Hmmm.

Thank you for asking for input! Lots of good comments from folks here.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Marte writes:

I would NOT like to see images added. It’s hard enough to find time to write good articles.

Adding in the time to find complimentary images would make it almost impossible for a busy person to submit any volume of articles.

I know that many believe images increase readership. However, your readers have been accepting and re-publishing our articles without images for a long time… I see no need to change.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Allen Royal writes:

No images, photos or videos of any kind. This is not a glossy paged marketing medium its about creating original, creative written content. I understand the value of the images. I don’t think EzineArticles is the place for them.
Cheers …. Take a Walk-About and chill

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Jerry Siegel writes:

I agree…

Jean Tracy, MSS writes:

I’d love to have thumbnail pictures for non premium writers.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM

David Carter writes:

I think this is a terrible idea! How would you stop this from being abused by people changing the image to something inappropriate once the article had been approved? That’s not to mention ensuring that anybody who includes an image actually has the copyright rights to it as Keith (#12) says.

I really think this would be opening up a family-size can of worms.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Eric J Smith writes:

Perhaps allow a link to an image hosted on EzineArticles so that for explanation a user can click the link to view the image on a separate page. This would also help EzineArticles get viewers to because if an article was published elsewhere the image link could remain going back to EzineArticles (or perhaps a “text only version” as well as an image version with a nofollow)…

But personally, i like the clean format of text only… you also have to consider copyright issues if users posts a copyrighted image that isn’t their own…

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Lakshmi writes:

I feel that there can be an option to include a thumbnail image on top, so that the people who are keen to have an image on their article can use the facility, and others won’t be using it. However, I prefer most of my articles to go without an image. Those who want to see the image and other details will definitely click on the resource box and reach the website.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 6:35 PM

sreekumar writes:

photos need not be mandatory, but adding provision will include one more gem to your crown.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Tom Bonner writes:

Not too sure I like this idea.

I use images on my websites, and in the resource box I suggest that visitors can click over to my site to see relevant photos or graphics. If the photo is included with the article viewers have less incentive to visit my site.

Secondly, many publishers wrap my articles around their own images and graphics. Do you expect to insist that publishers only include the image provided with the article? I like that your TOS says articles must be published without being changed, but until now publishers were free to format articles however they wished.

Now it seems you might try to force publishers to format articles a specific way, including images in a certain size and in a certain spot.

Seems like a big can of worms. I am a photographer, but unless you really think this through, I think this is a bad idea.

— Tom

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Bob Foster writes:

I think you will pull your hair out trying to determine which photos are self-promoting, and which are germane to the article only…and your authors will often not agree with your decisions.

You might be opening Pandora’s box.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Shipra writes:

Images, pics or any visual effects are more eye-catching but still I’ll prefer the articles without images.The beauty of article should lie in the text. Images can distract the reader.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 12:43 AM

The essence of using EzineArticles is to increase the click through rate to our sites. If images would reduce that, then it is not necessary.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 2:25 AM

I think the pictures are a great idea. People love pictures as for the size I think the thumbnail would be fine.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Nicholas Wind writes:

My webmaster tells me pictures inside a blog are very important.
And so I always use them there.
I like images in an article.
I know you folks here are very professional
and it’s great to see you put this out there to see what folks think.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Janna Chan writes:

Thanks for stimulating an interesting discussion, Chris.

I don’t think that EzineArticles has any serious competition, in part, because it asks members for feedback frequently.

One subject I don’t see mentioned yet is the near impossibility of verifying the copyright for relevant images in a timely fashion.

One of the things that sets EzineArticles apart from other article directories is the degree to which it screens content for infringement prior to displaying it, as opposed to posting anything anyone submits and only taking material down if someone complains about copyright infringement.

That says a lot about the professionalism and ethics of the company, which must be part of the reason Google loves ya’ll so much.

I say pass on the feature unless there’s a way to screen images that I’m not aware of.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Keith Lutz writes:

I say beta test it for awhile. Have the two vesions, and check the click thru on the:

1.) Article with images
2.) text only articles.

Post results and give us your decision!

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

I proposed this back in 2006.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Anne L Dix writes:

Hi EzineArticles

I think pictures would be a tremendous idea, even if you have to insist they are “personal” before you find a way to check the copyright technicalities…

If you insist they are only complimentary, so the articles STILL make sense, without them, this would be more professional perhaps.

Visually, I think they should be at top left, medium size – and with a link function so people can click on the Image to increase the CTR you say may be lacking with the addition of images…?

Hope this helps and thanks again for a great service at EzineArticles!

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM

John writes:

Hi Chris,

What a great idea! Rather a bone of contention!

Placing images/pictures alongside articles (top, middle, left or right) will add value to the content, for sure. However this will be a volte face for EzineArticles since upto this time, your readers & publishers are accustomed to plain, simple articles sans images. This will be additional burden at your side to scan for appropriate/inappropriate/spam images, onus of copyright compliance, server load, page loading time, et al.

Inline text links, maximum of two, can be provided which displays the image(s) in a separate window thus retaining the reader in the EzineArticles page.

Anyhow may I suggest you to make provision for a thumbnail image alongside the By-line?

If you decide upon giving place for images in articles the best way will be via Beta-testing for a month or so.

Thanks for asking our opinion.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Lisa Angelettie writes:

I think that this feature has the possibility of being used incorrectly. I think most people are going to do a Google search, swipe a photo from the initial search image results, use it in their article, and then you cross into possible copyright infringement or you have 25 articles with the same pic in the same topic. That would be a disservice to your readers.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM

no images

Comment provided July 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Mark writes:

Please don’t add images to articles. It would only make the article approval process slower than it already is.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Glenn Allison writes:

You have one of the most successful article submission sites on the net. Your Alexa rank is incredible. All without photos. You must be doing a lot of things right, and probably not having photos is one of them. If someone has an article for which a photo is essential, they can write an article for you, and link in the resource box to the article with the photo.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Barbara Brenner writes:

I just had an article published here on time management that would have been vastly improved if I had been able to illustrate it in the way I originally wrote it. I wanted to show a square with 4 quadrants, each a different color. It was originally created as a table with HTML, so I could have taken a screen shot of that table and had a much more vivid presentation.

There are many other articles for which I think images are unnecessary, but in this case, it really would have improved the content 100%.

As far as placement, that should be the author’s choice.

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 7:40 AM

MJ Schrader writes:

While I do use pictures on my blogs, this is often a source of stress and strain.

We are on EzineArticles as writers, not photographers. If pictures will soon become a standard thing as they are on blogs. Then rather than live for writing, we will have to find images we have rights to, or no copyright at all.

In addition then the people who use the articles, what if they do not want to use the image? What if the image does not match their theme? What if that website is not where the photographer wants the image.

While I do provide instructional articles and those could use a singular image. However as an instructional piece I say, go here, then here, then here and that will be what you need, a verbal map. This can be done without images.

On other blog posts I sometimes include silly shots of my life, such as the dog, but are related to the post. These are far from the quality that would be expected here. Not just from you but other article writers. My avatar is a professional image because I know the importance of a professional look.

It seems to me this will reduce the number of articles and contributors because you would create a “fear state.” “If I can’t find great images then I might as well not even post.”

How do I know? My blog helps people get online and I hear that daily. It is hard enough to convince people to write never mind additional pressures.

Sorry, I will step off my soap box now.
MJ Schrader

Comment provided July 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The new Google Ads program offers 1,000 pictures, and the ads on the page will correspond to those pictures. Why not just use that?

Comment provided July 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Mark writes:

For a long time I have compiled some of the articles I published through EzineArticles, and created mini-ebooks from them.

The response from people who downloaded these ebooks have been that the articles could look better with a photograph or graph.

Perhaps in this visual age, a lot of readers are used to relating an image to the written article.

It also helps visual learners, understand the article better. Particularly as many readers on ezine aricles are not first English speakers.

Personally I would welcome the opportunity to put an image or a graph on some of my articles, but understand it may have a negative factor to many writers.

Perhaps you should see what the readers think, before any decision is made.

Comment provided July 23, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I don’t know if the added photos make the difference, but I can publish a travel piece on EzineArticles without photos and on Things Asian with photos and my articles on Things Asian will have thousands of views in a week while an article on the same topic without photos on EzineArticles will have only a few views.

Comment provided July 23, 2010 at 3:23 PM

MaryLou, if you’d like more Asian photos, I have a whole bunch, duty-free that I’ve collected over the years. This offer goes for anyone in most any sector of our economy. Also if you have Microsoft Word you can go here for free clip art and photos: .

Anyway, I have about as many as these at Microsoft all duty free, and if anyone has substantial bandwidth allowances I can email images to you that are copyright free. Let me know on that. Always glad to help fellow EzineArticle Authors with their blogs, or article writing questions with a caveat; I turn those questions into more articles using my answers!

leon Noone writes:

G’Day Chris,
Unless it’s a photo of the author beside his or her name, I can’t see the benefit.

There’d be all the structural, cultural and legal problems that people speak about. And as for the notion that authors are the best placed to choose their images……. a visit to the average website should quickly dispel that fiction.

But my biggest concern is the danger that images pose to your marketing position. You are famous for your words, for their quality and value to your readers. That’s your crenau.

Stick to your knitting Chris. You’re the market leader. Including images will endanger that position.

But still make sure you have fun.

Comment provided July 24, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Mike Browne writes:

In the old days, artists and writers would collaborate. Now it is a clip art world. For myself it is an interesting place. I am a cartoonist and a writer. The problem for EzineArticles will be policing the visual, but I don’t think a big problem. I think the rewards will outweigh the hassle. It is a visual world.

I am new to EzineArticles, just getting the hang of article content. Visuals will have to be non-offensive. It matters who’s judging.

Comment provided August 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Frank Sanello writes:

Do you know of a single print publication that doesn’t include photos, illustrations, etc.? Photos are not only eye-catching, they break up huge blocks of text, which is hard on the eyes.

I haven’t seen an on-line magazine that doesn’t include photos either.

As for the cost of using photos, all photos on Wikipedia are in the public domain and free!

Frank Sanello

Comment provided August 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I think there are few articles that are not complemented by visuals. How-to articles on software *require* images in many cases. A large percentage of the articles that I write are published at other sites simply because there is no feature here to support images. While some may object to images, they would have the option of not using them, but the likelihood is that you will increase article submissions from authors like me.

Comment provided August 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Laurie writes:

Images would be a great improvement to your great site. Many times it is much easier to get your point across with a visual.

I have appreciate your service. I look forward to any improvements you make.

Comment provided August 19, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Frank Sanello writes:

I’m a professional writer, and I don’t write for free. And so I no longer write for Ezine. I would never have signed up to write for Ezine if you had told me before I filled out a zillion forms to join that you don’t pay your writers.

The articles you post prove the cliche that you get what you pay for – nothing but amateurish writing.

You “pay” your writers by letting them post 2 links to their web sites, but only two. Since the self-promotional links are our only payment, you’d think you’d at least let us post as many links as we like.

Plus, if we include non-promotional links in the body of the article to complement it, that counts as part of the 2-link maximum allowed.

Frank Sanello

Comment provided August 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Roger Passman writes:

Image size between 300px x 200px and 600px x 400px is perfect for me. Images essential to the article only should be allowed and no more than two images per article should be allowed. Images should be available to all authors when the image is essential to the content of the article. There is no need to penalize those authors who do not subscribe to the premier service. Finally, links to images must be appropriate to the content of the article as well.

Comment provided August 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Santhosh Ganesh writes:

Content should be the priority.

Comment provided September 15, 2010 at 2:08 AM

David Ocean writes:

I agree with Richard Rost (second commenter), and am in a similar position. I’m a subject matter expert in several areas, but trying to accurately convey more complex ‘how to’ information with no images can become very laborious if not completely impractical.

My personal opinion is that only relevant images should be allowed, and they should be small thumbnails (linked) or text links.

According to the EzineArticles FAQs I can use my two self serving links to link to graphs or images on my site. This helps, but in doing so, I then have no other for personal use. The value of my article increases, but my link value is reduced or eliminated.

Keith (12th comment) also makes a great point with regard to copyright issues.

Perhaps EzineArticles could host the images and randomly spot check to make sure they were relevant (and not some spammy full page ad image), or allow one additional link to the author’s site for a single page that contains all the required images.

Ultimately though, we do live in a visual world, and I think overall value of EzineArticles is reduced without images.

Comment provided September 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM

diane hartlee writes:

I would love to be able to insert pertinent photos into my articles. I think that a limit of one or two pics per article would keep it tidy as would a size limit of around 300 pixels wide. Maybe images could only be accepted from an image source that belongs to the author; this would at least prevent scraped images from being inserted from another source. I am just now writing an article about a new release look for the updated design on a new product; It would be great to be able to put a photo of them in the article.
Also, I really enjoy reading articles that have an image or two. It just seems richer, less dry to me.

Comment provided October 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM

As a writer of kids craft projects I would find this invaluable. Kids are more visual and pictures can make a project easier to complete for the kids as well as adults. Some things are easier when seen than read. Currently I provide a link to photos on my web site in the resource box but I know when I don’t see a picture of the project, I am less likely to want to make it. Yes I am for images.

Comment provided October 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Kash Goreeba writes:

I think adding images to articles is a great idea. I’ve written some tutorials on how to use popular software and I have used images to highlight the necessary steps. It would be great if I could publish them on Ezine.

Also, travel articles. Would it not be great to see pictures of what the author is actually writing about? If I’m going to describe the architecture of Barcelona, I would love to be able to show readers what I’m writing about.

I’m frankly surprised that Ezine has not already added an images feature. I’ve written many articles with and without images, and I have noticed those with images (where necessary) get a much greater response.

Comment provided October 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Howard Berg writes:

As the world’s fastest reader, I have studied how pictures enable the brain to comprehend text. Pictures are frequently used in text because of their ability to improve understanding.

Since many of our articles will appear in WordPress pages, the protocol is use is simple. Use the same graphic interface that is already being used in WordPress. It is easy to use, and something all writer’s already know how to use.

It is consistent with the appearance people already expect. I would allow 1 picture for every 300 words. to give authors’ flexibility. If an article is between 0-300 words then one picture would be acceptable. 300-600 two pictures, and so on.

Comment provided November 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Keith Davitt writes:

An address that takes the reader to an image or video in photobucket or youtube is sufficient for me. It doesn’t have to be live (though is best if it is.) I recently attempted to do this, not intending the link to be live and the article was not accepted.

As to who is responsible for copyright issues, it is the author, as always. We don’t plagiarize content of any kind and we don’t expect publishers to keep a watch on us. Ezine is behind the times in a number of ways. Articlebase, (I think is the one) for example, does allow images.

Comment provided December 3, 2010 at 10:39 AM

sreekumar writes:

So long as final decision whether to include it or not rests with EzineArticles, there is no problem in trying out new things.

Comment provided December 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Karl Mollison writes:

As a book author and hypnotherapist, I vote for allowing photos. Not only are they worth a thousand words, they convey many unspoken messages more powerfully than words.

Copyright responsibility should fall on the author. Are they not currently responsible for originality of their words?

For how-to instructional information, having as many active links as needed is essential, not just a minimum link to one’s website. Photos embedded in the article are better. Allowing multiple photos would add valuable content, and would make possible certain kinds of instructional articles too cumbersome without them.

Editorial oversight should be reserved for cases of an abusive nature. Are all the words on ezine intelligent, necessary, and representative of the highest literary standards? Why be afraid to include images? If you allow contributors to represent themselves with their words, why not let them sink or swim from their choice of images, and offer them flexibility to place them for greatest benefit to the reader?

Comment provided December 9, 2010 at 3:49 PM

sreekumar writes:

But it is difficulty to judge the propriety of images.

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Janna Chan writes:

Judging the propriety of images will be virtually impossible as we can’t (yet) do a search engine search for images just by inputting a graphic. Words are easier to track down.

Also, I would argue that the responsibility for ensuring the integrity of someone’s document lies with EzineArticles as the company is ultimately responsible for taking down infringing material.

Most of the article directory competitors named in this string, in my experience, don’t care about infringing content at all regarding words. That’s probably why they don’t mind letting people post infringing images, too. It’s likely also why EzineArticles seems to be the only article directory Google takes seriously.

Hence, EzineArticles would have to ensure, in my view, that the people posting images have a high level of integrity and some legal savvy. The last time I checked, Wikipedia had an elaborate process requiring people to sign a form saying that they own an image they’d like to post or it’s in the public domain.

If EzineArticles instituted such a policy serious article writers would take the time to fill out the paperwork whereas people spinning articles would not.

And since setting up an elaborate process for cutting down on copyright infringement is expensive, EzineArticles would be justified in offering the service to premium or platinum members only, in my view.

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Keith Davitt writes:

I’m with Karl 100%. Pictures are vital to many articles. The issue of rights is I think, a non issue. I have and use thousands of images, in various blogs for example. As they are my images I have no concerns and as I don’t mind if someone else uses them, I still don’t.

I assumed it is a technical limitation on Ezine’s part that prevents them from allowing images but perhaps not. I can’t see that it is a legal one as there are hundreds of thousands of images and videos up all over the net (photobucket, Youtube, etc.) and they have no problems with this.

Comment provided December 10, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Frank Sanello writes:

Most of the posts about the issue of including photo illustrations ignore the 900-pound gorilla sitting in on the discussion.

We don’t get paid for our work. Only amateurs write for free.

Who is kidding when it says its writers’ “payment” is exposure?

You can’t pay the rent with exposure. Also, are the corporate owners of this web site being compensated with “exposure” only. I think not. They reap the profits of their writers’ work without sharing the profits from the writers’ work.

I haven’t seen this kind of exploitation of labor since reading about the robber barons of the 19th century, who treated their workers like just another commodity, coal, oil, paying them the smallest salary the lack of competition allows.

I think it’s time for all ezine writers to organize a union or affiliate themselves with existing unions.

The Teamsters Union would love to take on the corporate robber barons of the 21st century who earn their income by ripping off labor.

I didn’t read the fine print when I signed on for, and it wasn’t until after I submitted my first – and last – article that I discovered I wouldn’t be paid for my work.

I bet the salesmen/women who sell advertising for this web site aren’t paid by telling them their fee is the terrific exposure offers its writers.

Or try telling that to the plumber the next time he fixes something in your home?

I doubt if my comments will ever be posted on this site because it doesn’t tolerate dissent.

It will have to tolerate union involvement on behalf of the site’s exploited labor.

Frank Sanello

Comment provided March 14, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Sour Grapes – enough said!

Frank Sanello writes:

“Sour grapes!” Not enough said, I think.

Do you really enjoy writing for free?

Are you a professional writer or a “hobbyist”?

I am Lance Winslow, who are you? I don’t believe we’ve met sir.

Frank Sanello writes:

I have seen your lovely car wash, however. Click on my name on this page, which doesn’t work, or Google Frank Sanello to answer your question.
See also my comments below on your ad hominem comments about my posts:

Name-calling (“lack of character, need for self-validation, mediocrity”) is called an ad hominem attack from the Latin for “against men.”
An ad hominem argument is one in which an opponent ignores the issue and resorts to insulting the person he disagrees with.
For example, “Your article has grammar and spelling errors.”
Ad hominem response: “Yeah, well you are fat!” (???)

Sour Grapes – enough said!

Comment provided March 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM

keith davitt writes:

All this blather about images and their necessity/desirability in articles is just that. If your articles don’t benefit from images you shouldn’t be posting here and for everyone else it is obvious that they are critically important. There is no argument or question about it. Some articles need images and every reader appreciates them when they are specific and appropriate. We’ve all heard it. A picture is worth…

Comment provided March 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Terry Weber writes:

Obviously you think adding the pictures of all of the above writers of comments is a good idea and so do I.

Comment provided March 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Erin Eno writes:

I would prefer not to ‘gum up’ EzineArticles with a bunch of photos. I think it would be too hard to control, approval time would increase drastically and articles would just start to look ‘blog-like’. Also, I think that a lot of people would be posting images just for the sake of posting images.
Can we not just include a link in the resources box that says ‘view illustrated article here’ and have it link to their website, blog etc?

Comment provided April 29, 2011 at 9:05 AM

Erin, your solution would be a good one. Simply link to a page that includes the images that accompany your article.

Erin Eno writes:

Hi Marc,
I did just that and was disappointed to find that my article has been flagged because of the link. I can only assume that it was this stipulation that got it flagged:
‘Please check your link and ensure that: …..* Your link does not contain the same content as your article body.’
Is only allowable to post images separately and not a link to to an actual ‘illustrated’ version of that same article?

Erin Eno writes:

Hi Marc,
Yes, I think it’s a simple solution and would not interfere with the credibility of EzineArticles. I would much rather have this solution suggested to those inquiring about images than to have uploading images brought in as a standard feature.
I wasn’t sure if it would be allowed, but if you like this option I may give it a go in a future article.

Comment provided May 3, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Loretta writes:

EVERY “real” magazine and newspaper uses images in their articles – whether online or off-line.

’nuff said.

Comment provided July 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Steve Brakovski writes:

I’m actually was really surprised that there is no option to embed images… Even if you do it manually via HTML. This is a must have feature no doubt.

Comment provided October 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I am relatively new to the service, however I believe that in order to sucessfully integrate images the best format would be to use the linking reference suggested in an earlier post.
In How to articles etc along with articles required to describe something in stages an image or Figure is always a useful part of communication. All language is subject to intepretation however often showing someone an image can save unwanted questions or convey a though or idea better. Personally I would like to have some form of referencing facility using links to an image

Comment provided October 8, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Harry writes:

as a prior dentist, i can say that the pictures would be a huge benefit. many times a before and after picture is very helpful for a consumer to see while they are reading relevant material. most, if not all, relevant medical journals have/require pictures to be presented with content. this before/after pictures tell the story as much as the content.

thank you for your time.

Comment provided December 8, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Harry –

Thanks for your input. The idea of adding pictures to articles is one we continue to consider. For multiple reasons we’re still unsure if it is the best approach for our authors and our article platform. We haven’t yet dismissed the idea, but we also haven’t come to a firm conclusion regarding its benefits.

Watch the blog for further updates on the subject.

– Marc

I am a statistician and that is only thing I am really expert in. You need to study if a limited images in articles which directs reader to more image rich page (say, in resource box) increase click throughs. If it does then it is not bad idea. At any rate this is author’s business. It is an author’s concern whether to use images or not, and how to whet a reader to thirst for more information and click on link provided in resource box. At present authors do it by suggesting more info at that link. Which means authors are writing teasers anyway. And it is their concern how much or how less to give in articles published here.

In Math (including Statistics) one uses a lot of formulas. At present I know only one site (codecogs dot com) which helps you compose formulas and then pick up generated html and paste it in your page. The html generated has an “a” tag enclosing an “img” tag. A really useful math/stat related short article could easily have a dozen or so formulas. But I don’t mind one img tag! After all I want to whet my readers’ appetite for more which I can provide at my site.

Comment provided February 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM

I can appreciate the need for images when explaining something unfamiliar. No matter how well something is explained a picture leaves no room for doubt. Personally however I believe that the best way around this would be for article writers to host their own images and be allowed to write an image tag eg
This in turn would mean a simple include from your point of view and the writer would remain responsible for image. This could also be modified to include scaling the image.

Comment provided April 27, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Frank Sanello writes:

I can’t believe an EzineArticles doesn’t allow its authors to post images in their articles!

That’s one of the reasons I stopped writing for EzineArticles.

The other, of course, is that EzineArticles literally pays its writers pennies!

21st century peonage!

I used to write for the LA Times and the New York Times, and they paid a living wage.

The Internet has killed my journalism career because it’s fragmented the writing market.

Too many wannabe “authors” crowd the real ones out of the market. :(

Ezine’s comment policy below is shocking and shows that it doesn’t allow free speech. This is not journalism. It’s fascism:

“This business blog discussion is not a democracy or freedom of speech blog. It is our intention to keep the focus and tone on a positive upbeat manner that encourages learning, discussion, respectful debate, and knowledge sharing.”

Comment provided April 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Frank –

I’m sorry to hear about your career and your feelings towards EzineArticles and our members. Sadly, we can’t be everything to everybody.

I would like to clarify one item, though. We pay our authors nothing monetarily for their articles. Instead, we offer them enhanced credibility, additional exposure and increased traffic back to their website or blog. You may want to explore our concept more in depth and see how we can indeed help you make a living through your writing.

– Marc

– Marc

Frank Sanello writes:

“You may want to explore our concept more in depth and see how we can indeed help you make a living through your writing.”

Your site will never make me any money. I earn my living as an author of books. I left mainstream journalism years ago when the Internet turned everyone into “writers.” If you aren’t paid for your work, you’re not a professional but an amateur, which is fine. We all need hobbies.

But this site is no place for professional writers to promote their work. Amazon promotes my 20+ books better than any short, simplistic article I might write in an “upbeat, positive” Ezine Article (upbeat and positive. are redundant, amateurish. As opposed to what? upbeat and NEGATIVE?
Writing, however badly done, is very therapeutic, and I recommend it for non-professionals as well. But demand money for your work. Does your day job pay you with free “exposure”?

Personally, I take exception to being called a “wannabe” and don’t believe “protectionism” tactics are healthy in free-markets, the news, journalism, well, it should remain free. Next, I’d like to state for the record that I’ve been in the news a lot previously, and not once did the journalist, yes, LA Times, WSJ, etc, included get the story right, and generally took something I had said in a 30-minute interview out of context. So, I am not going to allow anyone to hold “journalists” above the fray of overall ethical baselines.

Next, I’d like to say that if “real journalists” or “authors” are so great, then they shouldn’t have a problem competing with ME, a non-author, non-writer, non-journalist, as their writing, knowledge, and skill would speak for itself.

As to the print media industry, well, that is a whole other subject, and rather than complaining about “who stole the cheese” it’s time to adapt or die, as that is the evolutionary process of business, industry, innovation, and the like. Just as the digital media has allowed for more readers, it also brings a double edged sword as you suggest – but that’s no reason to trash someone like me, and I take offense to the concept of closing the doors on “wannabes” as I don’t believe that speaks against the very reality of freedom of the press, and I bet Marshall McLuhan would back me up on this one.

We never create EzineArticles to be a protector of freedom of speech, despite the fact that we allow and encourage multiple views on almost every subject.

Instead, we exist with the hopes to continue to exist.

If you want ultimate freedom of speech, use your own blog and speak away whatever is on your mind. :) Seriously, that is a better home for true freedom of speech, if that is what you seek.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that “wannabe “authors” crowd the real ones out of the market”… Welcome to the new reality where EVERYONE has something to say and wants to add to the conversation, including NON-writers who want to share their insights.

The BEST writers will continue to rise to the top, despite the increased competition of words in a sea of ideas. Reason: Most writers take short cuts and don’t put in the hard work over the long-haul to make a name for themselves.

I get that many journalists and writers/authors are mad that the market doesn’t pay what it once paid. That issue is not being debated in this thread. Our main goal to help our authors profit is to provide high value visitors to their website where it’s up to our authors to convert those visitors into leads and ultimately, sales. For others, they want exposure or a platform for their voice in the market to get feedback, to help improve their lives in whatever way is important to them.

On the issue of including images in articles, it’s one of many hundreds of issues we continue to evaluate and have not changed our position at this time.

Anjo Bacarisas writes:

Images are great. Sometimes if your first paragraph isn’t catchy enough, it’s one way to get the readers continue reading your article. For instance, a picture of an expensive car caught by a flood. Now, since part of our niche is auto insurance, the image speaks a lot and can make the article more interesting.

Apart from that, images have their own meaning. It could express ideas and points that can be tricky when you write it down.

Just a thought.

Comment provided August 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You have added my picture to this – my comments – so that means to me you like and feel the need to include a picture in order to: add interest, make more recognizable, illustrate what is written, clarify a written explanation.

Comment provided August 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I think images have become a necessity in content now a days. The distinction between a regular article and multimedia content is fading. At the end of the day, allow the inclusion of images will only add to the quality of content on EzineArticles. Plus, those who don’t want to use images will always be able to do so anyway so I don’t see it should be a fuss.

Comment provided March 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM

K.Poe writes:

I write DIY step-by-step tutorials. Without pics, the article is pretty much worthless to readers.

Comment provided June 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Frank Sanello writes:

I can’t believe you amateurs are still writing for free for this site! “Professional” writer means a ;aid writer. If not, you’re just a hobbyist or in Harlan Ellison’s phrase: “creative typists”

Comment provided June 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Frank, you are clearly missing the point, and your comments are so far off base, it would be a waste of time to explain it to you. Your comment does show lack of character, need for self-validation, and a sign of mediocrity. In essence your comment above shows really poor Internet behavior.

Comment provided June 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Frank Sanello writes:

Name-calling (“lack of character, need for self-validation, mediocrity’) is called an ad hominem attack from the Latin for “against men.”
For example, “Your writing has grammar and spelling errors.”
Ad hominem response: “Yeah, well you’re fat!”
You will notice I’m not making derogatory comments about your job at a car wash! I’m an intellectual, not a status snob.
As for my “mediocrity,” check out “my”web sites -actually my profiles and books on Wikipedia, Amazon,, Google Books.
Per Wikipedia, the Chicago and Turabian Manual of [Writing] Style quotes excerpts from my books as examples of correct style and usage.

Frank, I don’t need to know that you have 20-eBooks on Amazon, why brag about that? So what? You need self-validation, so you told us all that – well good for you, but, not everyone cares to be a writer, I don’t think it’s really a viable profession for most who’ve tried it. I do okay for side money with eBooks, but that isn’t my focus, and people write articles for many reasons – your reasoning may be such that this site doesn’t fit your needs – but it does mine, and for a large percentage of people here. Calling me a typist? Hmm? Yah right? I take personal offense to your slanderous remarks here. By the way, I’ve never hear of you. And if this site is so bad, why did you put a link to your website after your comment to drive traffic? Tell me that fine sir?

Frank Sanello writes:

If calling you a typist represents “slander,” then every secretary in the world should sue!
I didn’t post “my” website on Ezine to drive traffic to my site because the link is to my bio on Wikipedia. I don’t do business on Wikipedia, and I don’t need to direct anywhere to my Wiki page…except when applying for a job or being called a mediocrity, which I don’t mind. You can only offend people with something they feel insecure about. Writing aint’ one of ’em.
Correction: ost of my 20 books are not ebooks but hardcover or paperbacks published my mainstream publishers, not vanity presses that charge “authors” to ghostwrite their autobiographies, self-help books, etc.
I wasn’t bragging when I mentioned my published books (not self-published) but responding to your ad hominem accusation of me as a mediocrity. “Mediocrities” don’t have 10,000 word articles devoted to them on Wikipedia. That was the point I was making by referencing my books.
You haven’t heard of me? What does that prove? You probably haven’t heard of Harold Pinter either, the Nobel laureate in literature in 2008, I think.
Now, I’m done with my break from writing a screenplay about Eugene Bullard, America’s first black aviator (1895-1961) – shameless plug :)

Frank Sanello writes:

Ooops! My proofreading skills have deteriorated with age. I meant to write “anyone” not “anywhere” above: “I don’t need to direct anywhere to my Wiki page.
Typo II: “ost of my books” should read “Most of my books.”
Maybe I’m an amateur after all! :)

Comment provided June 20, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Paul Ambridge writes:

I also feel pictures would help to bring an article to life for certain subjects, but they could be added in the body of the article using some html code that links to Photobucket or something similar.
If the concern is the position and an article that would strange with a big empty gap, simply add a tool to insert and manage the position of the image.
I’m all for images helping to paint a 1000 words and making the article more eye catching, with a point of reference for the reader and writer alike.

Comment provided June 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM