Quick Case Study: Matt Gallo

The eighth edition in a series of posts that highlight one Expert Author who has achieved success by doing just one thing exceptionally well.

Matt Gallo

Status: Platinum
Member Since: Nov 4, 2008
Location: New York
Active Articles: 194
Article Views: 50,615

Matt Gallo has built up his reputation as an EzineArticles Expert Author by writing on a wide variety of topics. A majority of his articles are focused on home improvement tips. And he says, “With all of the new tools and technology available today there’s a humongous range of home improvement subjects that need to be covered.”

He has also found success in writing on other topics of interest to him. “Unlike authors that only focus on one area of expertise, I try to write articles on a broad range of subjects,” he says. By focusing on the topics he is interested in, he has expanded his writing efforts to all corners of the home improvement category and beyond.

Commitment to Quality

Matt’s secret to success is writing quality articles that are informative, concise and clearly written. The first step in this process is to get the facts straight through research. According to Matt, “Readers are going to be turned off by unreadable, inaccurate articles. The only buzz that kind of article creates is negative.” Although he admits it takes him a little longer to do research and editing, the end product is worth it to him and his readers.

Staying Motivated

By making article writing an integral part of his marketing plan, he doesn’t struggle to stay motivated to write. “I write articles because it makes a big difference in the buzz about my sites,” he says. “It’s an integral part. I rely on it to create buzz and drive traffic from sources other than just the search engines.”

He finds inspiration by answering the questions of real clients and learning about other topics that interest him. His writing is then sought out by others with the same interests, whether that be home improvement lessons, energy-efficient products or corporate bankruptcy regulations.

The one piece of advice that Matt follows in every article is that a little bit of research can do a lot to maintain credibility. But he warns: “Even if you think you know the subject inside and out, it never hurts to check your information.”

Matt offers these 6 tips:

1. Focus on quality writing that is concise and easy to read
  2. Check your writing for accuracy
  3. Try writing about other topics that you have an interest in
  4. Use the problems and thoughts of real clients to generate new article ideas
  5. Use Article View data to analyze past articles and decide on future topics
  6. Make article writing part of your marketing plan

If you’re not already using these tips, now might be the perfect time to give them a try as you write your next set of original, high-quality articles.

Also, take this opportunity to interact with Matt regarding his keys to success. And don’t forget to leave a question or comment for Matt. He’d love to hear from you.

Susan Greene writes:

I looked at some of Matt’s articles. He writes on a wide variety of subjects, which is great. I’m just wondering what he’s actually promoting.

While his articles each link to a URL or two related to the subject matter, they don’t include the typical resource box.

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Matt Gallo writes:

I’m not really promoting anything other than the businesses that are in the articles. I don’t get kick-backs or anything like that. I’m just really lucky to be able to do what I love to do (writing) and to have a never-ending stream of topics to write about.

By way of reading Matt’s articles and blogs, I came to know about his innovative vision which is enough to attract to the readers to read.

Moreover, it has been my great pleasure to read his articles and blogs.

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Matt writes:

Thanks for reading! I’ve got some great new articles that I’m planning to publish in the next few days, so keep an eye out for fresh articles soon.

ambalaj writes:

Focus on quality writing that is concise and easy to read
Check your writing for accuracy
Try writing about other topics that you have an interest in
Use the problems and thoughts of real clients to generate new article ideas
Use Article View data to analyze past articles and decide on future topics
Make article writing part of your marketing plan
If you’re not already using these tips, now might
very good :)q

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Matt writes:

Thanks for reading. I have a few more articles in the works, so keep an eye out for more new articles soon!

Duncan writes:

Hi Matt,

Is your business bricks and mortar or online?

Good work!!!

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Matt writes:

Hi Duncan,

In answer to your question, our business is kind of both. We maintain an office in the greater Albany, NY, area, but our marketing services are all online. Focusing on connecting local service providers with area customers using search engine optimization, we specialize in affordable online marketing for local companies.

Hope that answers your question.

Nick Savage writes:

Susan, It looks as if he is an affilate marketer.
How this works is, we write articles speaking on a particular subject, People click on the link, If they buy we get paid a commission or set rate set by the company.

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Matt Gallo writes:

Nick, in fact I am not an affiliate marketer. For that to be true, there would have to be tracking data in those links that would show that I had sent the traffic through. As you can see the links in the articles are all simply linking directly to the websites with no identifying information so there would be no way for me to get paid.

I work for a marketing company called Prospect Genius and do a lot of writing as part of my job there. I do not get paid for clicks or anything like that.

Nick Savage writes:

Well you do love writing then, Do you do freelance work. My ghost writer took a full time job. Let me know if you want to talk in private my email is nick.savage@gmail.com
Yes I am an expert author many times over lol but it was ghost writing that I paid for. I am an affiliate marketer. Anyways if your have time, drop me a liine.

Steve Benedict writes:

Matt,

That was a nice focus piece that was done on your writing. I just had to get in and see what goodies you had for a frustrated amateur home repair guy like me. You do write on a variety of subjects and I like that initiative.

@ Susan. I had the same question about resource box. If there’s a method to his marketing program that doesn’t involve driving traffic to a specific site…maybe Matt will share it with us.

Regards,

Steve Benedict

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Matt Gallo writes:

Steve, I think I just answered this in the reply to Susan but if not, let me know and I’ll try again.

Matt,

I see you write articles on several categories.

How much does it take to write an article on a familiar/non-familiar subject?

Thanks for the tips!

Sekhar

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Matt writes:

Sekhar,

I find that writing articles on a variety of subjects helps keep things interesting–for both myself and my readers! When I’m composing an article on a familiar subject, perhaps basement waterproofing options, I can usually write the entire piece using my personal knowledge of techniques and processes. Once I’m finished, I’ll use trade specific Web sites to fact-check myself and make certain there aren’t new or improved tools and methods regarding my article’s subject. If I’m writing an article on an unfamiliar subject, I’ll work in reverse: starting with industry Web sites, I’ll learn about the field and then use that information to write the article.

Hope this information helps. Thanks for reading!

i’m interest with your statement”

i’m agree because with article we can explain anything about informations.

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Giofranco writes:

Hi Matt,

Real good tips about article writing.
Focusing on quality and “article viewing”
for analysis are at the top for me.

Giovanni Dattoma

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Matt writes:

I definitely agree. The article view analysis helps me see which keywords directed traffic to my articles and helps me create a more targeted approach if I ever write an article on a similar subject in the future.

Nadeem Malik writes:

Hello Matt

What beautiful replies you’re getting from some wonderful people, I guess your doing some thing that deserves a response.

I enjoyed the responses from Duncan and Susan Greene.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 5:02 AM

Tom Larsen writes:

Matt, good articles you write, wish I could do that too. Maybe if I took the time like you did I could too.

Since you write about home improvement, you should write an article about homeowners protecting themselves from un-insured contractors. There is no state licensing requirements, so anyone with a pick-up & tools can call themselves a contractor.

Getting a certificate of insurance from their insurance broker is the only way to know they are properly insured. The good one’s have insurance, the fly-by-night ones don’t. And the one’s that don’t sometimes get covered to pull a permit and then never pay for the insurance policy again.

Recommend to your readers that they get a certificate of insurance when hiring a home improvement contractor.

Take care.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Susan Greene writes:

Matt,

I saw your reply about how you’re not promoting anything, how you’re writing these articles mostly because you love to write.

I think that’s great, but I do think you’re missing an opportunity to generate some revenue.

You should be using that resource box and directing traffic to a site where you sell something. Or, you should be selling the content you’re creating to those companies you’re linking to. Or you should be posting all this great content on a home improvement site or blog that you own and then monetize with Google ads. Or you could create an ebook on a home improvement niche and use your articles to promote/sell your ebook.

There are plenty of ways for you to use your writing ability to create a revenue stream. And who couldn’t use a few extra bucks?

You’re fortunate that you love to write and it comes easy to you. And I’m sure that EzineArticles is delighted to publish all your quality content, as they’re making plenty of $$$ off all the ads running along side your articles. But you’re making nothing, and I think you’re missing an opportunity.

Comment provided July 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Matt Gallo writes:

Susan,

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely consider leveraging my articles a bit more and your suggestions are great ones.

RobertLexth writes:

The reason to write articles is for my web site and all of my affiliate products. I have conflicting reports regarding how many times the author should submit the article to other sites through Article Directory,There is some concern regarding search engine conflicts which may alter article reviews.
Please comment.

Comment provided July 15, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Vinny writes:

Hey Matt,
I’m finally getting around to looking into article writing. I can see that article writing can have a big effect on Google ranking. When searching for ways to improve our site, I noticed many of our competitors that sell address labels and shipping labels like us are using low quality high volume article writing to further their seo goals. Is there a disadvantage to this? I mean nobody, as in customers, are really going to see that stuff, they’re going to get links to the site first. All of that link and keyword building garbage is just a tool to get higher ranking, and the only people who are going to notice the junk are competitors like me.
Care to comment?
Thanks,
Vinny

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Matt Gallo writes:

Vinny,

Great question. In short: Yes, there’s a certain disadvantage to generating low-quality, albeit high-volume, articles. The basic goal is to produce content that appeals to both human readers and search engines.

Why? Even though much of the traffic to each article will be non-human, it’s important not to forget that the web is, essentially, a giant recycling center. Content is copied and republished all over the place; the most effective way to ensure *your* content gets republished is to write good copy that others will want. There are a number of veins through which your original content might find its way to other corners of the web: your articles may be used as content on other people’s websites for legitimate purposes; a re-published version of one of your articles might then spark a conversation on a blog somewhere; someone might use content from one of your articles as informational copy in a website that talks about a related topic, and so on.

The truth is, you never know how or where your articles might be used outside the realm of EzineArticles’ database, so it’s best to make certain that your writing and content, in addition to SEO techniques, can be leveraged as effectively as possible.

Hope that helps!

Kruno writes:

Real good tips about article writing. Thanks for the tips

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM