Overcoming Writing Obstacles: Create a Writing Ritual

Final episode in the “6 Ways to Overcome Obstacles and Write High-Quality Articles in Large Quantities” video series.

In this video series, our friend Gary has already shared these 5 ways to overcome writing obstacles:

While completing the first five episodes of this series, Gary continued to uncover writing obstacles. He found he spent a lot of time distracted, unmotivated and unable to get his work done fast enough. Gary realized that if he incorporated writing rituals into his own projects, it would help him become a better writer. Unfortunately, he was having trouble figuring out what makes a good writing ritual.

In this video, Gary visits with me for examples of writing rituals, why they are important and how to use them.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

Before Gary left on sabbatical, he wrote down these “take away” messages from his brainstorming session with me:

Why Writing Rituals Are Important:

• They Create a Constant Stream of Newly Published Articles
  • They Keep You Motivated
  • They Make Writing a Part of Daily Activities
  • A Consistent Stream of New Articles Means More Traffic

Tips For Starting Your Own Writing Rituals:

• Eliminate Distractions
  • Find Motivational Triggers
  • Create a Deadline
  • Try Writing Challenges To Stay Motivated

Remember, writing rituals come in many forms. A good writing ritual is one that works for you. Leave a comment below to share your favorite effective writing rituals.

Brian Foley writes:

Absolutely great video. This one was the best so far. I will get my ritual down today, and follow it.

Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at MathMojo.com )

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Coach Debbie writes:

Great video and very informative. I was able to spot a clog in my writing!

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Chris Kent Blog writes:

Fantastic video!

The challenge idea is a great one.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Jon Bone writes:

I agree guys, great video, good challenge !

Jon Bone

Herman writes:

My morning article writing ritual has been suffering lately due to distractions. Thanks for reminding me to get back on track setting deadlines even when not motivated.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks – greta advice.

Two further tips from personal experience

1) “attitude is all: get into the right frame of mind to facilitate writing

2) Posture – Be comfortable when you write, but not too comfortable! How we sit ( some write standing up!) does influence our writing.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Great tips Eamon

Charlie Brown (C Schultz cartoonist character) once said “It’s so hard to be depressed when you stand up straight with your head held high”.

Our posture affects our state of mind and if you want to change your state of mind then change your posture.

Have a great one today too and onwards.

Chris S-C

Laura Fabiani writes:

Well done and practical video! It’s so true that deadlines help a writer stay motivated and focused. My writing ritual changes with my circumstances (kids home on summer break) but I am itching to get it down pact. Thanks for these good reminders!

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Scott Love writes:

What a great way to communicate! I was cracking up at Gary’s voice.

The ritual is critical. I am fairly new and I find that I can get in the zone much easier if I do the same things.

I’ll have to go back and review the other videos I missed.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for the hints and reminders. My writing is being thrown on the backburner lately. I really appreciate the help in being consistent.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I haven’t had a chance to watch the videos yet but if you’re having trouble with motivation to get into your writing ritual then learn how to anchor motivation to the task.
Any hypnotherapist or NLP practitioner can show you how to do this and you can be motivated whenever you want.
So much of our lives are run from patterns and anchors that trigger behaviour why not learn to use them to your advantage.

Happy writing everyone.

p.s. These marketing and writing insights are fantastic – Thank you.

Comment provided July 28, 2010 at 7:07 PM

This was an irresistible invitation to get into your personal writing ritual and crank out those things you know you like to write about. I try and encourage people even if I am a grief specialist.

I loved the playfulness of this presentation, Marc. It was so clever using Gary to engage the kid in all of us.

Here’s writing for you, Kid.

Comment provided July 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Thanks, Mary Jane. I’m glad to hear those videos are as much fun to watch as they are to produce! :)

Geoff writes:

‘Writing rituals’ That’s a good one. Enjoyed the video, though I still find the habit of regular writing difficult to stick to.

Comment provided August 3, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Mahmud Awad writes:

Very enlightening, motivation is certainly the key factor. There is a need for consistency which sometimes is difficult to achieve.

Thanks for the videos.

Comment provided August 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Oliver writes:

Find my own obsticles and form a good routing. This is exactly what I need as a new author.Thank you!

Comment provided August 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Miriam writes:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for this really creative video. This is what I call video and it’s inspiring and motivating at the same time!
I hesitated a little bit to open it as I was thinking of another ‘slide-show’, but as the content actual is my theme, curiosity was greater than adversity.

As I’m a great friend of being organized, due to my offline work there are times when I can’t follow a schedule.

Once lost the ‘read thread’ it’s difficult to come back :( – So your video helps to re-organize myself.

Comment provided August 12, 2010 at 3:45 AM

Charlene Dick writes:

Thank you – you and Gary always make me laugh so much! How motivating is that…

Comment provided August 20, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Matt writes:

Cheers for the ideas.

I watched this while trying to drum up some enthusiasm to get started on an article today. Often I listen to some fast paced music to get me buzzing (and it speeds up my workflow).

Suddenly realised what this meant. Thanks a bunch.

Now, where’s my itunes at…

Comment provided August 24, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Chris Kent Blog writes:

Hey Matt,

That’s what I’m doing right now.

Listening to some punk, gets me writing fast! Soon I’ll be submitting my next batch of articles to EzineArticles :D

Jason writes:

The ritual part is hard to establish – kinda like trying to quit a bad habit – but once you nail it down it really works. What helps me a lot is to write first thing in the morning, THEN get online to check out my sites and email.

Do what’s most important first, then the other stuff.

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Comment provided August 28, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Fillmore writes:

I know this is late but I’d really like to thank you for this article.. I run into problems after a few paragraphs when writing for my blog and hopefully this will help me out a litle.

Comment provided June 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM