Generating Fresh Content Ideas With Keyword Data

Research can be the cure for stale content issues.

In any form of communication, one of the keys to being effective is knowing your audience. In article writing, this is certainly the case. When you lose track of your readers, it’s difficult to come up with new content that is informative and relatable to them. Here are 3 symptoms that will help you detect if your once-fresh content is going stale for your audience:

1. You’ve run out of article ideas.

2. Your readership numbers are falling.

3. Your articles share nothing new.

When you start feeling the symptoms of stale content, the cure can be as simple as doing some keyword research. Here are two keyword research tools that should alleviate most of your stale content ailments.

Traffic Search Terms

Although EzineArticles can’t give you an exact profile of your average reader, but we can help you discover how web surfers landed specifically on your articles. To do this:

• Log into your account at http://Members.EzineArticles.com/.

• Click on the Article Views link on the left side of the homescreen.

• Click on the number in the Views column of the article title you would like to see data for.

• On this screen, you will be shown the article’s views organized by month. To see the Traffic Search Terms, click on this alternate option.

By using this information, you can focus your energy on writing about the keywords that are most popular. This tool becomes more valuable as you write more articles.

Add Trending Keywords To Your Keyword List

Sometimes there will be a need to explore subjects outside of your usual articles to ensure the freshness of your writing. When you are interested in exploring new keywords to focus on, try Google’s Search-Based Keyword Tool. The tool can be accessed at: http://www.google.com/sktool/.

By entering a keyword in the ‘With words or phrases’ box on this page, you will be shown related keywords and their corresponding popularity. Once you have some new ideas for content, you can go one step further and enter your new keywords in the Title Suggestion Tool for new title ideas.

The two basic cures for stale content are the EzineArticles Traffic Search Terms Data and Google’s Search-Based Keyword Tool. By using the keyword research tools provided by EzineArticles and Google, your writing can remain fresh.

Give these tips a try and let us know how they helped. Also, please share any other ways that you have found to stay in touch with your readers. We look forward to hearing your comments.

The title suggestions are oddly enough not always as strong in the first 3-4 words as Chris indicated in the interview with Joel Comm in the Adsense Premier series. So for some suggestions one may have to rephrase the terms suggested.

But thanks for inspiring, as always. Now only 6 articles from the 200 in the HAHD 4 challenge. :-)

Comment provided July 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Henrik,

The Title Suggestions tool is designed to feed the market perfectly what it’s asking for rather than what we think will perform well in the search engines if we were guessing.

The advice I gave in Joel Comm’s thing many years ago was to heavy load up the first few words of your article title. That advice does not apply if you’re using our title suggestion tool because the data those article titles are generated from automatically and then manually by our title writing crew, are already data-backed and proven *(we’ll share soon how proven they are)* to perform because it’s based on incoming keyword data from our existing millions of monthly visitors.

Thanks Chris for your answer. :-)

Nonetheless when we all know there is a difference between the word “ad” and “add” then some titles are a bit too database-driven…

I have used Title Suggestions for many of my articles, yet I have found that coming up with my own (creative) titles has worked just as well.

But thanks for the support of all of us during the HAHD 4 challenge. It’s fun. :-)

Paula writes:

Popular keywords have been the saving grace of my articles. The right keywords can direct a good amount of traffic to your site. Like, if I were to write about Streamingflix, I would use keywords like “rent online”, “stream instantly”, and etc.

Comment provided July 12, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Eric W Mulford writes:

I’m new to the article writing world and I find that the Title Suggestion tool has been extremely helpful. I don’t have a a rich history of article keywords to draw from. The Title Suggestion tools has helped me determine a focus that I didn’t bring with me to the article. I know I will get better at it as I go but this has been a life saver for me. I really appreciate access to such a great tool. I have had success with the “titles” and will continue to use them.

Comment provided July 13, 2010 at 4:10 AM

silver star writes:

thanks so much

Comment provided July 25, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Julia writes:

Good keyword usage is crucial. I kinda stumbled across one that has worked really well for my site, especially in my click through rate from EzineArticles. I wasn’t an accident exactly since I did do keyword research (I ALWAYS do keyword research) but I didn’t expect it to be as effective as it was.

I found the keyword and wrote two articles based on long tail versions of it. I posted them on my blog and EzineArticles and in my resource box I offered a free download of the item covered in the article.

Needless to say, my click through rate skyrocketed. My average click through is about 5% on weight loss articles but those particular articles have a click through of 30-50%. At this moment one of them has had 115 views and 52 clicks. Because they focus on long tail and the clicks remain regular due to the articles focusing on long tails (meaning I don’t get relegated to the end of the line for a high competition keyword). I don’t expect a huge number of views but the click through rate is awesome.

Comment provided August 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM

steve writes:

It was worth while reading your articles especially the useful info on:
-Traffic Search Terms
-Add Trending Keywords To Your Keyword List
The commentries by Henrik Blunck and Julia are valuable too.

I will give your tips a try.

Keep it up!

Comment provided August 8, 2010 at 12:55 AM

jon bone writes:

Keywords are very important, getting the right ones and any suggestions or info is always welcome

Comment provided October 20, 2010 at 5:16 AM