Expert Author Case Study: Owen Jones

Today’s Expert Author Case Study introduces us to Expert Author Owen Jones, the manager of a variety of websites, who has developed a distinct strategy for promoting them.

Owen Jones

Status: Platinum
Member Since: Jan 21, 2005
Location: Thailand
Active Articles: 530
Article Views: 40,525

author image for Owen Jones

Owen sees article marketing as the ideal form of promotion. His strategy includes:

1. Searching for a topic that is close to his personal interests or currently popular
  2. Designing a website with content focused on the topic
  3. Writing and submitting a set of articles to EzineArticles
  4. Analyzing the articles for the ones with the highest amounts of positive feedback
  5. Building on the strategies that work

The strategy works because Owen overdelivers on fresh content and article length during the launch and promotion of each website. He writes articles that enrich each niche.

As part of our ongoing Expert Author Case Study project, we asked Owen to share his thoughts on his strategy and any advice he could share.

• Owen, what sets you apart from other Expert Authors?

I do not feel different from other Expert Authors, but I do think that when you see something working, you have to stick with it. Many “ways of making money online” simply do not work, so if you find something that starts to [work], keep building on that. I find that it helps to plot every month’s earnings on a simple graph.

• What’s your secret to article writing and marketing success?

My secret to being able to write a good article is to find a good topic. I choose my topics in relation to the website I am promoting. So, first comes the website that I have created on an issue or subject that interests me. I always know something about the subject, but sometimes not much. Out of pure interest, I will research that website’s topic and ideas come automatically. Success is relative, mostly relative to hard work.

• How do you stay motivated to write articles?

I write articles on topics that arise after having written a website on a subject that interests me. I find that it helps to create a list of what you want to do to promote your website. So, for example, I write down the titles of the webpages and put a mark for the number of articles I want to write in order to get that web page ranking. When I have written the article, I publish it on EzineArticles, tick it off and move on. I like to see the page in my diary with lots of things-to-do ticked off.

• How do you decide what to write about?

My articles are always related to a website that I have written these days. I pick the subjects for my websites with one eye on what is popular at the moment and one eye on whether it interests me.

• How do you balance writing for quality and quantity?

I try to overdeliver on EzineArticles’ requirements. Their standards are good enough for me, so if I surpass their guidelines, it must be good. For example, they say 400 words, so I give 500. This is not difficult if you choose a topic that you are interested in.

• How has using EzineArticles affected your traffic?

EzineArticles has affected my traffic in a positive way by promoting my articles to new readers and providing backlinks to my websites that Google respects; they know that EzineArticles has high standards.

• How does article marketing fit into your overall marketing plan?

Article writing is the core of my marketing plan. I write a website, which I promote with related articles, which in turn get promoted by social bookmarking sites like Twitter, et al.

• What EzineArticles tools do you find the most beneficial?

The EzineArticles tool that I use most is the statistics page. I like to measure my success and see which articles have done well. It is not always the ones you expect.

• What advice would you give newbie article marketers?

Keep notes, track things, study what works for yourself and when you have an inkling of what works, go and look for someone who agrees with your line of thought, but who knows more than you do. Like playing one-on-one sports, always play someone better than yourself.

• Anything else you’d like to share?

“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise men of old, seek what they sought” – Matsuo Bashu (1644 – 28 November 1694).

7 Pieces of Advice from Owen:

1. Remember that success will take hard work.

2. Have a plan when setting out to promote a website.

3. Don’t write just to pass the minimum word count. Instead, write until you have fully explained the topic.

4. Use the statistics page to learn which article topics are most popular.

5. Track the success of your primary strategy to make future plans.

6. Use personal interests to research potential topics.

7. Find a mentor that can keep you on track for your goals.

See if you can incorporate any of Owen’s advice in your own strategy. And, as always, leave a comment for Owen. He would love to hear from you!

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks Owen

Sound sensible advice and a useful map to follow.

I think you highlight the importance of planning and focus extremely well.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Owen writes:

Thanks for taking the trouble to say so, Eamon.
I appreciate it.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Patricia writes:

Good article – got me to thinking. Got me to thinking of some questions. Don’t know if you have time to answer them – but here they are.

1. How many articles do you write to promote one of your websites? Is there an average number before traffic starts to click in?

2. I’m impressed that you have written 530 articles – do you have a plan of how many articles you write a week? How much time and research do you put into putting out an article?

3. I did a little math. You have written 530 articles and have had 40,525 views – if every article got exactly the same number of views this would mean an article might get only 75 views but multiplying it by the huge number of articles you have written – makes for a lot of traffic. To me this was encouraging. Maybe I write an article and it doesn’t have thousands of people clicking on it – but following your strategy of continuously adding more articles – bit by bit traffic builds up.

Would love a follow up article to this one. Great stuff.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Hello Patricia,

Nice to meet you.
I want and like to help, if I can.

1] I usually create websites with five pages of content to begin with. Plus the contact us, about us and privacy pages. Then I write three articles per content page, so fifteen per site.

An average to take effect? I don’t really wait for that. I write two or three articles a day. I have had results within two days, more often within three days, but always within a week.

2] I nearly always know something about the subject of the website I am promoting, because they are always my websites. So, first I choose a topic (niche) for a website. Then I look to see how many others are interested in it; then I look to see how many others are covering it.

If I don’t know much about it, but I am interested, reading around the subject is a pleasure and sometimes, I have to stop myself and say: ‘Now write something!’.

I try to write three articles and one webpage a day, but hey, I’m my own boss and the plan is flexible.

3] You would have to be a genius to know which articles will get the most views. My top article is one called ‘The Signs Of Love’ and it got over 5,000 hits.

I do not think it was my best article, but who am I?

I think that the best articles pander to mass opinion, but I cannot write those yet.

I’m not even sure I can be bothered to try to learn to either.

I hope this helps,

Good luck,
Owen

Bob writes:

Thanks for the Good advice. I loved the quote you used !

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Thanks, Bob.

That quote is just brilliant – it helps me keep a level head.

All the best,
Owen

Shirley Bass writes:

Great job, Owen! Congrats!!

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Thanks, Shirley.

You’re not from Tiger Bay, Wales, too are you?

Owen :-)

Carol writes:

I’m glad to see someone is using the stats on the author’s reasources.I was advised that they aren’t important and as I student, I should focus on writing as many articles as possible. It’s quantity , not quality. The stats do not matter. I feel as you do , it helps to know which articles are the most popular, and duplicate the same style, or hook, or fabulus title, etc., in future posts. Great pointers.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Owen writes:

I think that you are right, Carol.
Be careful of whom you listen to.
Some people know less than you do but they know how to sell that knowledge better, that’s all.
Stick by your guns.

Susan Greene writes:

Owen,

Great interview. Thanks for sharing your secrets of success. I have a couple questions for you:

1) After you’ve published an article on EzineArticles.com, do you then also publish it on other article directories? If so, do you modify it so it’s slightly different?

2) Do you also publish the article on your own site?

3) Do you think you get more traffic by posting your articles on EzineArticles.com rather than building up the content on your own site?

4) I’m curious as to how you make money. Hope you don’t mind me asking. Your sites appear to be advertising based. So you make money off Google Ads, etc.? Or is there some other monetization process at work?

Thanks for taking the time to consider my questions. Keep up the good work!

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Hello Susan,

1] Yes to both parts. I do still publish to other directories, but I am evaluating whether it is worth it. For example, I put a copy on My Space, but I think it is a waste of time. On the other hand, they make it so easy to post there, that it seems churlish not to. Keep your options open but under review. The one rule I have is to always post to EzineArticles first. Any time stamp on any of my articles will always show EzineArticles as having had the article first.

When I post the article to other places, I always modify it. It always has the same perspective, but in slightly different words. All my articles, wherever you may find them are all unique.

A word of warning though, do not use syntax spinners, they are a waste of time, money and reputation.

2] Sometimes, yes, but not often.

3] Yes and no. are 11 articles on your site going to get you more traffic than 10? How much more? 10%? I am not sure that it will. if you have a website on earthworms, how many pages could you fill with useful information on earthworms? 5-10, I should imagine, if you do a lot of research. But you could write 20 articles about them. I would rather have 5-10 useful pages on my website than 20 pages of patter. Those 20 articles should still be useful to the reader, but they should let them know in a subtle way that there is more to be had by following your links.

You can also be more speculative in an article, whereas I think that the website should be more factual.

3] I rely mostly on Google, but I do try other methods too. I like to keep the loop as short as possible. I trust Google even though they are so high and mighty it is easier to get a reply from the Pope.

It depends on the site really. With a site on earthworms, just Google; with a site on light bulbs, maybe Google and an affiliate link to a place selling light bulbs.

Georjina writes:

Owen, you’ve inspired me to keep writing more articles my way. It was nice to see you also write articles on topics that interest you first, and you like doing the research for.

Copied your response to Patricia in my ‘article swipe file’ to refer back when I get stuck and need an extra push to keep going.

Thank you.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hello Georjina,

Thanks for saying so.
An encouragement such as yours is also inspiring.

Good luck,

Jose M. Blanco writes:

Owen, you are an inspiration. I can’t imagine the work and dedication it takes to write 530 articles. Congratulations. I submitted my first one today, and I am eagerly awaiting approval. Wish me luck!

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hello Jose,

It depends how your mind works.

541 (now) articles is a high hurdle, but if you see it as two articles a day for nine months or three articles a day for six months it is not so much.

At three articles a day you can have twice what I have by this time next year.

I like the discipline of the EzineArticles HAHD challenges, but I set my bar at 200 not 100.

Nicki writes:

Thanks for sharing this – what a great article.
I’m just starting out with several new websites, and this will be my guide.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Owen writes:

Thanks, Nikki, good luck.

Owen Jones writes:

Sorry, Nicki, I spelled your name wrong.
It is an unusual spelling though.

Kruno writes:

Thanks Owen
I loved the quote you used !

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Thanks, Kruno, I do too.

Mike Johnston writes:

Owen,

I appreciate your realistic comments about working your own business. Yes, it does take hard work and one does have to have a clear set plan of action. I’ve just begun article writing and am presently putting a plan of action in place to get more done on a consistent basis. I work a full-time job, so time is of the essence. One last thing, I like the quote at the end. I’ve always said “emulation not imitation is the key to success.” Thank you for sharing your experience.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Owen writes:

Thank you too, Mike, for taking the trouble to say so.

Good Luck,

Derrick writes:

Hi Owen

What puzzles me is that ezine recommend establishing a theme to go with your name, and to use a different name for different themes on the basis that people will associate the name with the theme and come back for more.
You write on a variety of themes which, according to ezine, means you are not optimising your marketing, but then you seem successful
Regards

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Hello Derrick,

I understand the logic of what EzineArticles (and others) say about this.

Basically, it is that no-one can be an expert on every subject (especially when you have 200+ websites).

Fair enough. But, I collate information on a subject and retell it in my own words, so that anyone looking for certain info that I have covered does not need to read twenty pages off Google to get the salient facts that they are looking for.

I do not propose to be an expert more than that. More than most, yes, but no-one is going to write a doctorate’s thesis from the information that I provide.

It is a basic working knowledge on subjects that interest me (and others, hopefully).

So, yes, if you have three or four really so specialist sites, you might want to change your name, but I do not approve.

Internet marketers have a reputation even lower than politicians, the least we can do is give the readers our real names.

What have we got to hide? Is the information factual? Are you working a scam? Are you on a tax dodge? Are you ashamed of what you are writing?

Why should I not put my name to my work? I work 12-15 hours a day, why should I not be proud of that?

It is not my way to use multiple names.

Charles LaRose writes:

Hi Owen.

I am new to EzineArticles and I found your advice very insightful and inspiring. You are a wise man!
I will seek what you sought.

Charles

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Owen writes:

Good luck, Charles, nice to meet you.

All the best,
Owen

taufan writes:

thank you owen , you very extraordinary and becomes my inspiratio

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Owen writes:

Thank you, Taufan, I’m glad that you see what I was trying to say.

Good Luck,

Irene writes:

Hi Owen:
Thanks for a great and need article. I have just begun to write EzineArticles and this information will be of great help to me. I will refer to it as I write.

Thanks again

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hello Irene,

Stick with it, it does work.
It’s like rolling a snowball to make a snowman, it gets easier quickly after a point.

sreekumar writes:

It is true that your favorite need not attract more traffic.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Owen writes:

Yes, you can only do your best and hope for the best.

Alan Sahu writes:

Thanks Owen, good advices are given by you. I think making a plan for writing articles is must-be-done work for an article marketer.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Hello Alan,

I think so too.
When you are working for yourself, you have to work at least as hard as if you had a boss looking over your shoulders all the time.

It is very easy to get into bad habits, so I cold-bloodedly analysed what I think is necessary for marketing. Then, I worked out how much I would like someone working for me me to do a day.

Then I rounded it up and added a bit and divided the latter into the former. This gives me a figure for how much I have to do every day to complete a job in a given time.

I then make a grid and tick off each box as I finish the ask. I know where I am in a project at any moment.

This regimentation helps me, but it might not be for everyone.

Gino writes:

Hi Owen

Thanks for the positive personal information you share,and what you give have certainly,give positive feedback.I admire YOUR,NEVER GIVE UP, way of writing articles.

YOU certainly can write far more ..with this article writing HABIT,you create for yourself,and the valuable,change you make in peoples life..with the websites.

Thanks I APPRECIATE
Gino Robin

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 2:15 AM

Owen Jones writes:

Hello Gino,

Thanks for saying that, Gino.

With an attitude like yours, I’m sure you will do all right.

Owen

Owen Jones writes:

Thanks, Gino, good luck to you too.

David Sharp writes:

Hi,

Thanks for a great ‘tutorial’ here, I also note you do not like to use syntax spinners and I am also of a similar mindset. Although, I think they can be useful if you are posting to sites purely for the SEO benefits. I’m not talking EzineArticles here because this is one of the few we should be concentrating on for traffic.

Thanks again,

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Hello David,

I do not use syntax spinners full stop, but I do not have a problem with programmes that replace words at random that you have given them to choose from.

My education was in languages and I have never seen a satisfactory computer translation. I do not believe there ever will be, despite the dumbing down of language, because language is about transferring ideas and computers are not hot on nuances.

I’m not too keen on using tactics or sleight of hand in SEO. Please forgive me if I have mis-interpreted your meaning. Yesterday, I was offered a programme. One of its ‘benefits’ was that it could send an article out with one of up to a thousand different names.

I think it is really sad that some people encourage deceit or subterfuge on the Internet. Let’s clean up our image, not tarnish it even further.

I told my family and some friends about my being featured this week on EzineArticles – none of them are Internet people – and a few asked how much that cost.

We have a reputation below second-hand car dealers, solicitors and politicians and we ought to do something about it.

Rant over.

Thanks for your comments, David.

David Sharp writes:

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the reply and I do agree with what you say.

David

Bill Pryce writes:

Owen,
Thanks for the great tips. I’m always having to remind myself that one earns money by producing content, not consuming it, although in this case I’m very glad I did.

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Thanks, Bill.

My Dad used to tell me as a kid that you never learn anything with your mouth open.

What you said is the writers’ equivalent.

Cheers,

Owen

Thank you, Owen, for sharing your expertise.

You said so much in so few words and like others I have many questions (which I feel you may have designed things that way ;).

I admire your focus, drive, persistance and tenacity.

I will be subscribing to your content wherever I findit or stumble upon it.

So, what is it that you actually do for a living? *curious*

Zakgirl.

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Owen Jones writes:

Hello,

Thank you for your kind remarks.

I live in the rice belt of rural northern Thailand in a small village with my wife.

There is no work for foreigners up here and anyway work permits are as rare as rocking horse manure, so I write.

Not that I’d rather do anything else anyway.

Mitko Ivanov writes:

“Success is relative, mostly relative to hard work.”
That is my favourite quote from you :)

Really Owen,
recently I feel like I’m in a heavy weight box match I am loosing, but I got what it takes to win it! How? With a lot of work, of course. It resebles me the situation of Rocky Balboa..you know..

And all that because I’m GREENY, but what can I do..
Obviously it’s one of the stages.

Many thanks for the useful info!

Mitko Ivanov

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Hi Mitko,

Stick with it, Mitko.
The beginning is the hardest, which is why most people fail.
They don’t give it a chance.

Good Luck,
Owen

robin gonzales writes:

I really liked your case study and appreciate all the great advice you’ve given. Thank you so much!

Comment provided July 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Owen writes:

Thank you for taking the trouble to say so, Robin.

Wendell Wilkins writes:

Owen,Thanks so much for the insight into article marketing. my question for you is, how does this type of marketing convert in to sales,compared to your other marketing effors,ala blogs,ppc…?

Thanks,

Wendell

Comment provided July 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Hello Wendell,

It is hard for me to answer that question in relation to anyone but myself, I do not know whether in general terms blogs are, say, 85% as effective as, say, article marketing.

However, I like to rely on myself as much as I can – I like to keep the loop small.
Me, the reader and Google is as small as I can get it on most sites.

I have tried Commission Junction and Clickbank, but they haven’t worked for me, although I still use CB a little.

I think it depends on the subject of your website or the product that you are promoting.

For the last twelve months, I have concentrated on writing articles that are relevant to my website. Before that I tried writing easier articles which were not relevant.

That way, you can write more articles, because the subjects are infinite. The backlinks are still useful, but the click-through rate was rotten.

Now I only write relevant articles. It is better all round.

I used to track everything, but last year I switched hosts and dropped a gooley. I didn’t notice that detailed stats were not part of the package – they had been with the other four hosts I’d been with.

Go Daddy wants something like $3 p/m for stats, with 200 sites that’s 10 times my hosting fee, so they can keep them.

Anyway, up until last year, I used to check stats for 60 websites and it took me nearly all day.

So, now I don’t know and I do not really care.
All the better article databases show basic stats and that’s enough to keep you adequately informed.

Instead of pouring over stats and agonizing about them, it is better to write another article or two.

I do not use blogs as much as I think I should, but if a site is doing really well or I think it should be doing better, I attach a blog to it and keep it well fed.
I do not have any sites that are just blogs, but maybe I’ll come across a subject that suits a blog rather than a static website one day.

Keep you options open and try out different ideas.

Good Luck,

Owen!

Your story is the most uplifting and encouraging one I have read in a while. What you do seems like the dream job – technology, writing, and learning new things! I can tell through your article writing you have a great passion for what you do. You must be thrilled!

I hope this isn’t too far off topic but quick question for you regarding Google. Have your websites ever dropped off the Google charts over night? If so, how long before they “came back”? It has happened to me with similar sites to yours but I’m trying to not let it discourage me from forging ahead.

Congratulations to you!

-Elizabeth

Comment provided July 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hello Elizabeth,

You are right, I do love what I do. I really enjoy the research and I really enjoy the writing too.

With all my previous hosts, I had access to detailed stats and I used to study them every week.

I had 60 good sites and another ninety. You can imagine, it took nearly all day. Then I moved to Go Daddy, but did not notice that stats were not included in the package.

At first I was cut up, I did not know how I would survive without ‘knowing’.

Eight months down the road, I am doing better than I ever did. I do not attribute that to ‘not knowing’, I attribute it to not wasting so much time trying to know everything.

I do not know where you are now. Perhaps, you have five, ten or fifteen sites.

Where do you want to be? 50, 500 or 1,000 sites?

After all, the Internet is a numbers game. Scatter gun approach.

How are you going to study all those sites?

It is better, if you are not Google or Yahoo, to ‘set and forget’.

Well, maybe not completely. I track the earnings of all my websites on a spreadsheet, if one of the consistent top 20 drops out of place, I will write another article for it. If that does not work, I’ll write another.

That has always done the trick, if it didn’t, I’d ….,
I do not know, write a few more articles for it, I suppose.

I like like the theory of 20:80.

Twenty percent of your work produces eighty percent of your results.

Having said that, some sites are seasonal, but you should know that before you write them and use that knowledge to decide whether making money for a few months a year MAYBE, is worth the risk of getting involved in that topic at all.

I have several ‘seasonal’ sites and I am not convinced yet, that their quick hit, once-a-year-flourish, will beat slow-but-steady.

In general, I think that it is best to have an idea for a website, put your all into creating and promoting it for a a week or so and then seeing if it will fly alone.

It costs too much time, to work out ‘why’. Get on with the next one. You cannot analyse the collective consciousness of the global population.

Leave that to the ‘big boys’.

Search for niches, do your best, hope for the best and then do it again

Scatter gun is better than single shot unless you are accurate.

:-)

Owen,

Thank you for the additional insight! You have been a tremendous help.

Best Regards,
Elizabeth :)

Owen writes:

My pleasure, Elizabeth :-)

Owen,

Wanted to thank you not only for participating in our expert author case study series, but for commenting here to help other members learn from your success.

-Chris

Comment provided July 24, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Owen writes:

Thank you, Chris, it was a great pleasure to talk to our fellow members of EzineArticles.

They left such kind comments.

Thanks again, Chris, and many thanks to everyone who left a comment.

The best of luck,

Jose Blanco writes:

Owen, I love your responses and your perspective, especially about using your own name! I find it amazing that someone can “work” over 60 websites, but I’ve just started this route (I just turned 50 years old.) I plan on making a decent supplement (I hope) to my income in about ten years, sooner I hope, but ten years is my window.

Thank you again.

Comment provided July 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Hello Jose,

Thanks for saying that, I appreciate it.

I started 10 years ago, but I wasted a lot of time. Six or seven years of it, looking back, although I kept learning, I suppose.

I think it is like that old joke where a tourist asks an old armer how to get to the capital city and old farmer , thinks about it for a while and says: Well, if I was going to the capital, I wouldn’t start from here.

I started from the wrong place too and listened to a lot of wrong people.

You will not be disappointed if you allow yourself 10 years, presumably to your retirement.

I actually think you will get the hang of it long before then and once you start pushing that rock properly, it can pick up speed very quickly.

I will be 56 in three week’s time.

Good luck,

Mohamad-Mariti writes:

I am happy that I am able to find you on EzineArticles and I take note of what you have said. I’m about to start writing articles in ‘Ezine’.
Your tips will come in handy.
All the best to you!
Thank you.

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Hello Mohamad-Marti,

I am glad that you found some useful material there.

Good Luck to you in your new venture.

All the best,
Owen

Comment provided July 27, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Peggy Chan writes:

Hi Owen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’ve learned from what you said. I’ve not realised that you can use stats to check on your readership.

How do you do that? I’m a grandma newbie who likes to write but am struggling with website.

How do I get to read your articles?

Thanks and God bless

Comment provided July 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Owen Jones writes:

Hello Peggy,

Thanks for contacting me.

You can check your stats by logging into your EzineArticles home page and looking on the left hand side, but they are only a general indication.

You can check up on each article by clicking on ‘Author Tools’ > ‘View My Article Reports’ on the same page.

All the best,

Marvin writes:

Hi Owen!

I had hesitations about having lots of blogs. Your interview here just kind of removed that hesitation.

Thanks for this:

There’s more to that quote than applying it to article writing. It’s about life as a whole.

Marvin

P.S. I’m amused you’re based in Thailand. I presume you eat lots of rice, as I do :)

Comment provided August 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Owen Jones writes:

Hi Marvyn,

Some people swear by blogs, I think they take too much maintenance, but I do use them for backing up or supporting a site sometimes, as I said.

I have eight or nine.

You can automate the content flow, which can help.

My Dad used to have the Bashu quotation on his wall, so I have known it for many years. I like it very much.

Rice? Well, Thais do not eat rice at every meal, but they do eat it for breakfast and lunch.
I usually only eat it at lunch, although in the UK, I ate Rice Crispies for breakfast.

I just thought of that. Funny.

All the best,

Marvin writes:

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give your inputs on blogs some thought. I do acknowledge that in some of my blogs, I have the feeling that a more static website is more appropriate. The blog that I maintain about music copyright seems to fall into this category. The dated posts do not seem to make sense, because the information I put there is timeless.

Oh, I didn’t know Thais eat rice only twice a day. Maybe that’s why the Philippines imports rice from them. We eat rice at every meal :)

Marvin

Owen Jones writes:

Hi Marvin,

Yes, that is one of the things that I dislike about blogs too, the date stamp.
I think you can turn it off, but that doesn’t look right either and it screws up the archiving.
Blogs can have static pages too of course.

No, I prefer a static website for general information, immutable truths etc and a blog attached to it for current affairs.

Owen

Hassan writes:

Dear Owen:

It is nice to read all what you very nicely shared with the new comers on the topic of strategy and a number of “no obligation” advices.

Keep it up for the benefit of the community at large.

Hassan
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Comment provided August 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Hi Hassan,

Thanks you for your kind remarks.
I am glad you found them useful and I apologise for taking so long to reply.

Dean writes:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge willingly Owen. Creating 50,000 articles is commendable in itself. Happy for you that you have found success after all the years and work you put in. You have shown people like myself that we too, can make it one day if we keep believing in our dreams. God bless you.

Comment provided November 9, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Hi Dean,

Only 700 articles, Dean, but I like the exaggeration.

It does take longer than most people realize because there are so many stories about kids making millions over night.
I guess that’s what sells newspapers, but it does people a disservice.
It’s like building a house on your own, without a team – it does take a long time, but the results should last for years.

sreekumar writes:

A rice eater, Dad’s Pet ( since you refer him quite often), hard worker etc. You suit me on many points.

Comment provided November 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Hi Sreekumar,

A rice-eater – yes.
I live in Thailand now.
Jasmin rice is one of the best in the world.

Dad’s Pet – I was the first-born of five boys.
I don’t think he had a favourite.
I hadn’t noticed how often I refer to him, but I guess you’re right that it is often as he taught me a lot.
Even now, 10 years after his death, I am still only beginning to realize some of the things that he was trying to tell me years ago.

Hard work has never been a problem, what else is there to do with our time?

‘If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly’ – my Dad always used to say.

All the best,

Comment provided November 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM

sreekumar writes:

My Dear Owen,
I am also first born out of five. I too lost my father more than ten years back. I loved him very much. Following his footsteps. May God bless all departed souls. Regards, SREEKUMAR.

Comment provided November 11, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Tim writes:

Impressive! What would we do without the internet?

Comment provided May 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Owen Jones writes:

Hi Tim,

It is a God-send indeed.
A revolutionary empowerment.

If schools taught how to make a simple website to sell a local product there would be less poverty.

The problem is teachers don’t know that this is possible yet.

I went to two schools yesterday sort of looking for a job and I was amazed that no-one in either school knew anything about the Internet.

They had broadband but it was only used for staff to keep in touch.

Owen

Comment provided May 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Zarada writes:

Hi Owen,

I am Zarada from Croatia (Europa) and I am new to EzineArticles. I found your advice very insightful and inspiring. I see you responding to comments, although the post is two years old, very impressive Owen :)

Keep it up ;)

Zarada

Comment provided May 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Owen Jones writes:

Hi Zarada,

Nice to meet you.

Thanks for your kind comments.

I think that if someone takes the trouble to write to me, it is the least I can do to write back.

I like it too.

I hope you find good ways to make use of what EzineArticles has to offer.

There are many interesting ideas on:

Good Luck,
Owen

Comment provided May 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Owen Jones writes:

Hi Kara,

Thanks, but I am not a member of the support team.
(If you are saying that).

I am just a member of EzineArticles.
A writer.