2 Minute Approval Tips: Match Author Names

Episode 1 of the “2 Minute Approval Tips” video series. We’ll make this quick!

This series is about getting your articles approved on the first submission. We have analyzed data from our submission records to find the most common reasons why articles are not approved on the initial try. We know your time is precious, so we have compressed this information into individual 2-minute videos.

This first episode is a reminder to check that the person credited for an article in the Resource Box matches the byline of the article.

Downloadable Versions:
WMV Format     MOV Format     MV4 Format     MP3 Format

For those of you that have less than two minutes to spare, here’s a brief outline of the first “2 Minute Approval Tip”:

• The Byline and Resource Box Should Match – If they do not match, the article will be rejected.

• Mismatched Author Names – A mismatch in author names can confuse the reader and take attention away from the content of the article.

• Articles Cannot Be Attributed to a Company Or Website – The author alone is the source of the content.

• Build Your Credibility – Maintain your personal brand by giving credit where credit is due.

Watch for more “2 Minute Approval Tips” in the coming weeks. Before you submit your next quality original article, leave us a comment to share one of your own approval tips.

My approval tip is for new authors to take time to read your guidelines and follow them. I found them to be very clear and simple. Also, the submit form has great prompts and reminders about some of the boundaries.

I only had one article returned one time with an issue and it is because I tried posting directly from my website and my blog format remained involved. I followed the edit notes sent to me on how to address the problem and the article was approved right away.

I love submitting to EzineArticles.com! You make it so e-z!
thanks!
Tambre

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Vinny writes:

So how does EzineArticles make money? What the real deal here? People submit articles in hopes of getting google ranking, but what does EzineArticles get out of it?

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Alan Sahu writes:

Post this question on Yahoo Answers. I think you will get answer.

Thanks for this, Marc, it makes good sense to be clear about our name.

Because I have a rather long name with the inclusion of my maiden name (don’t you just love that expression) I thought about dropping it when writing my articles but I wanted it to match with my published book and my identity both personal and professional so I quickly rejected that idea. I’m so glad I did.

But don’t listen to me, listen to Juliet!

From Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet

JULIET:
‘Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call’d,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Lynn Hahn writes:

I’ve yet to write an article for EnzineArticles but with all the great tips you send me I’m sure when I do I’ll have a darn good chance of being approved.

I read lots of your articles and have gained some very good information.

Thanks for the video series!

Lynn Hahn

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Adalia writes:

I have not submitted that many articles – only ten and I have not had any rejected. I enjoy submitting articles to EzineArticles – if all business were run this way, we would be getting excellent customer service all the time and the businesses would have loyal customers.

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Adalia writes:

In response to Vinny’s question, I don’t know if I should be answering this or the people at EzineArticles but here is my opinion on how the company makes money. They have a paid membership, the Google ads on their pages. affiliate programs and probably many other ways that I am not aware of.

I know, you are blown away by getting something so valuable for FREE and wondering “what’s the catch.” Be thankful and I know you give to others as well, yes.

I hope this helped.

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Steve Benedict writes:

Write an article of interest, not just one built around your keywords. Readers are much more sophisticated than ever before. They just don’t care about your need to create strong backlinks to your site.

If your article looks like a poorly written pitch for your product or service, you’ll lose the reader by the second paragraph. You also lose any chance that they might want to reprint, retweet or pass your article along to friends.

The bottom line is if you focus on the needs of your audience, your needs will follow.

Just like the tortoise and the hare, quality articles take a little longer…but they ultimately win the race!

Steve Benedict

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 7:32 PM

jimmy choo writes:

Thank you for the 2 minute..
Jimmy choo

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

jimmy choo writes:

I am a strong believer that in Order to get something, virtually anything, you need to pay the price. Sometimes, the price is monetary, sometimes you need to pay with your time, your energy, but you need to pay the price.
Jimmy choo

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Adalia writes:

Hi Steve,

I appreciate your comment. I am new to EzineArticles and I thought all my articles had to be built around my key words. I was not excited about doing that.

Thanks for sharing!

Adalia John

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Steve Benedict writes:

@Adalia.

Please don’t get me wrong, as keywords are important to search engines and you need to pick out strong niche keywords for your article.

My point was to build your article to suit the niche you’re in, then go looking for a strong keyword or keyword phrase to tie into the article…instead of the other way around.

You’ll usually find a great keyword phrase somewhere in your article. You may have to change some sentence structure to work them in. My rule of thumb is to have my main keyword or keyword phrase appear about 4 times in a 300 word article.

Hope this helps.

@Rusty. By the tone of your comment, I don’t think anybody can tell you anything you don’t want to hear.

Even though your brand is your “webiste” (your word), there are ways to write an article that don’t refer to your “brand”. Give people good information on a subject relating to your brand and use the resource box to tell them specifically about “cebuexperience”.

Just my two bits worth…and a quarter doesn’t buy much anymore!

Steve Benedict

Rusty writes:

Comment provided July 16, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Al writes:

For example, if I write an article on roses and then in the resource box, I say:
“To get the best roses for your Juliet or Romeo, visit Rosesarered.com”

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Guilherme writes:

Im love this Series… Is very Fun! tHANKS :)

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Rusty writes:

when all else fails, make fun of a typo. I stopped reading at that point.

the tone of my message was caused by double speak.

I’m just not going to tell you what you want to hear. However, in the future, I will keep my mouth shut.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Janna Chan writes:

Hello Marc,

For instance, you can can say, “Visit “…your-site-here.com” for free tips on ——” and leave it at that.

Am I right?

Best, Janna

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM

You are correct based on your example. So long as your verbiage doesn’t indicate an author other than the one listed in the byline.

Eamon Greville writes:

Thanks again Marc

I have learnt to `walk away` at the end of completing an article no matter how keen I am to submit it. Not all articles are fun to write!

Coming back to it later coupled with the type of advice contained in your tips actually makes for a better article.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Sonia writes:

Hi Marc,

I enjoyed watching this video. It makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to watching additional episodes.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Lloyd Hester writes:

Is it ok to add the details of the company website in the resource box along with the name of the author?

So for example Lloyd Hester owner of http://www.searchenginestratagems.com provides free SEO information and tips etc. etc. etc… ?

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Lloyd,

Yes, you can add both.

Annie Kaufman writes:

Thank you! This 2 minute tips thing is really a great idea. As you said, we are all short of time, and I for one will put off ’till tomorrow a long drawn out session. ADD seems to kick in faster as I age!!

Thanks also for a great web site. I have learned or been reminded of a lot of things that I should know and do before submission.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Lisa Angelettie writes:

You guys make the best videos! Love ’em.

One of my approval tips is if you are submitting an old article from your WordPress blog and are using the EzineArticles WordPress Plugin – to remove any live links from the body of the article. Just use ’em in your resource box.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Kruno writes:

Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to watching more videos.

Comment provided July 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Pheori Wiley writes:

I enjoyed this video and I thank EzineArticles for providing all of their very helpful tips. I have written 1 article which is still pending approval. I had not viewed this video before submitting and I am glad that I chose to put my name in the resource box.

I know with only 1 article (not even published) that I am hardly an authority, but I would like to share a few opinions from the viewpoint of someone who has worked very closely with a number of prolific EzineArticles contributors.

I think that Janna is correct (and this also addresses Al) that it’s ok to simply place a link in the resource box. But, from viewing the video it seems that the best road to take (addressing Rusty’s concern) is to place an author name along with your brand, website and link because it builds credibility.

As a reader, I would like to know that a knowledgable individual wrote the article. And, again addressing Rusty, even though you place an author name on something it does not mean you must exclude your website or brand. While the brand is the website, it would still be nice knowing that there is an actual person behind it. This is simply my opinion and you are free to reject it.

As regards Steve Benedict about keyword stuffing: Great Metaphor! And also, EzineArticles only allows 2%. I know you were simply exaggerating the point, but I’d like to contribute to that very excellent point by saying that 2% is one iteration of the keyword for every 50 words of article; i.e. 300 words is 6 iterations. So, if you simply stay under that number then you’re great. LSI keywords can be tricky, though. While you are attempting to place a specific keyword in the article a set number of times it is easy to accidentally place too many LSI keywords and then get your article rejected for that reason.

Good luck to all of you on future article submissions and thank you again EzineArticles, I look forward to more of these helpful videos.

This is a response regarding the comments made by:

Al: “Do you have to have the author’s name in the resource box? What if you don’t have any name in the resource box? Is the article still going to get rejected?”

Rusty: “My brand is my webiste, not my name. So don’t tell me I can build my brand then tell me I can’t use my website or company name!”

Janna Chan: “I was under the impression that you could reference just your website or business name in the resource box as long as that references doesn’t imply that anyone other than the person in the byline wrote the article.”

Steve Benedict: “People don’t see anything unusual about your keyword or phrase popping up 4 times. They do get annoyed at keyword “stuffing”, where you try and work them in 8 or 10 times. Your article begins to feel like an old vinyl record with a scratch in it. It skips and repeats the same verse over and over.”

Comment provided July 18, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Al writes:

Thanks Pheori. You comments make sense.

Thanks again Marc,
I enjoyed watching this video,
very usefull information..

Comment provided July 18, 2010 at 6:42 AM

Thanks for the information. Will do.

Comment provided July 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Angie Mitchell writes:

Love the 2 min videos! I think this is going to help those that are so eager to post their articles they don’t really take the time to read the guidelines.

Comment provided July 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Mark writes:

Hi Marc,

I enjoy your videos, they are always well laid out and to the point, just like an article should be.

I’m looking forward to the next installment of Two Minute Approval Tips.

I wish more people who submit articles to EzineArticles would actually follow all the advice given by you guys. There are still a lot of poor quality articles flooding this site.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 4:54 AM

Bill Pryce writes:

Great video. I look forward to seeing more.
Lisa, thanks for the WordPress plug-in tip.

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Vinny writes:

What’s up with all the responses being rah rah rah, I agree with you, blah blah, your video was great blah blah, I know I’m just a beginner, but I’m sure if I follow your instructions I’ll succeed blah blah. It looks to me as if many people are using these comments the same way they use article writing; for link building. It’s like a free for all to see how many times one can slap a link, and regurgitate some useless information.

I was doing a little research on EzineArticles to see what I could find to help promote our website. What I found was articles written by people in fields similar to our company writing poorly written, wordy articles.

Can someone point me to an article that is not meant to promote a website?

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Pheori Wiley writes:

I believe that, for many of its contributing members, the main focus and reason for writing articles and submitting them to EzineArticles is for promotional and marketing purposes. There is a give and take with article writing; the give is the article content and the take is being allowed to place your links into the resource box.

I appreciate the rules and guidelines that EzineArticles has in place to discourage those writers who do not contribute very much in the way of information. I do agree with the tips in this 2 minute video. I do believe that if I follow the advice I will have a better chance at success. If it sounds a bit “rah, rah, rah” and “blah, blah, blah” as you put it, then I’m fine with that. I think it deserves cheering.

As regards your desire to find an article that is not meant for article promotion, the articles that appear on EzineArticles are meant to be informative to the reader, but I do believe that most (if not all) of them will have a resource box attached which points to someone’s website or product. It’s the nature of the beast.

Perhaps seeing how the blog comments are being used to “slap a link” for link building is helpful to researchers in that it shows the concept in action. I do not think that this should be discouraged. It works and herein lies the proof: people continue to do it because it works.

You mentioned that you were doing research on EzineArticles to see what you could find out about promoting your own website: what you found was a marketing strategy. You can learn from it and try the same techniques in order to promote your own business.

The upside to those poorly written articles that you found on your niche topic is that you can quite possibly contribute a better article with more useful information that will attract more people to your site or product as a result. That seems like a plus to me! But, that’s just my opinion.

Vinny writes:

Look, I’m just trying to find my way here. Your response seems like more of the same, albeit with a lot more words. What I would like is for someone to give me an example or some testimony that might convince me of the value of this site, and all I’m seeing is link building. I just don’t want to spin my wheels which is what it feels like right now.
I clicked on your link, http://www.wvwritingservices.com/. I was curious to know why there is no street address for your business, yet you say your business is US based. I was also curious that you use, incorrectly, the expression “as regards” instead of the correct “With regards to”. Could be a simple mistake, but that and other things in your article lead me to believe that either you are not a natural born American or you are operating on foreign born soil. Hey, that’s fine, as long as your company acknowledges that, and does not make mistakes like that in an article that they would submit for me.

Pheori Wiley writes:

If you want to be convinced about the value of this site, look up the page rank (PR) of the EzineArticles website. The current PR is 6/10. Google determines the value of a website based on backlinks from other websites. The higher the PR value, the better.

Google sees a link from one website to another as a “vote,” and some “voters” have more clout than others. For example, the USA Today website has a PR ranking of 8/10, while a link farm could have an extremely low PR — maybe somewhere in the range of 0-3 PR. For this reason alone, EzineArticles’ 6 is great for link building and website promotion.

The business and website that I was initially here to promote are no longer in existence at this point for personal reasons, but to answer the question of why my partner and my US-based business did not include a physical address: My partner lived in WV and I, in CA. Which address should we have used? All of our work and our clients were found through online resources, and all of our dealings were completed over the internet. A simple phone call with our clients was proof enough that we are indeed US citizens, born and raised.

And to explain the “as regards” in my previous comment, Merriam-Webster defines it thus:

“…in regard to : with respect to ”

Therefore, I have used it correctly.

Thanks for your response and good luck with promoting your business.

Tony B writes:

Thanks, Marc!

Reading the comments here, I see what I pretty much expect, the controversy of writing to inform versus writing for links only.

I find Ezine a great service and a great opportunity to get information out there that will demonstrate to readers the value of a particular author. I have many thousands of words on my websites, but without traffic, what good are they.

So, I don’t think that Ezine, which is the best, or any other directory is only for the purpose of links.

It isn’t hard to spot gratuitous, inane copy that is there only for the purpose of attaching a link. But there is also some really informative and useful data to be had.

The ticket is to have some valuable information to attach to the link.

I look forward to more of these articles.

Tony

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Steve Benedict writes:

@Vinny,

I think you may want to check out what EzineArticles really does. They are similar to an encyclopedia of online content. You submit your articles to the site, and if they are approved, you are rewarded with a published article.

They are not trolling for business and don’t have to give you anything, as far as location. In fact, it’s the other way around. They have to approve you, before your article is published.

In the past, they didn’t have the capability to match your copy for Latent Semantic Indexing. As a result, there are some poorly worded, grammatically incorrect articles on the site. These hardly ever get a look past the first paragraph, as the writing looks like third grade stuff. That works in your favor, as your well written article becomes the standard for your niche, and you have a much better chance of having your article picked up by content aggregators that provide articles for major commercial web sites within your niche. You are credited as the author, and a link to your site is provided to their readers.

EzineArticles is one of the most prominent informational sites on the Internet. When you submit an article, you have a good chance of ranking on the top search engines for the keywords in that article.

For instance, if your niche is car insurance, and you write an article like: “Tips for Finding Cheap Car Insurance for Young Drivers”, your article may come up in the Google top three ranking for the keywords, Cheap Car Insurance for Young Drivers. That’s because Ezine carries so much weight with Google, that your article is considered gospel for those keywords.

As far as some of these lame comments, they’re usually from some snake who is looking to build quick backlinks to their site by slithering into different forums and leaving something like “Nice Post. I learned a great deal from it” and quickly exiting so they can go on to the next forum. They add nothing to the discussion and I despise them, but you see it all the time.

I hope you receive this in the spirit it was intended. I’m not connected with Ezine in any way, except that I do submit articles. I’m not a moderator and have nothing to gain by defending them. I just have been doing this for a while, and like to help others if I can.

Sincerely,

Steve Benedict

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Jon writes:

Short, precise, Right to the point; not waste of time
Couldn’t express any better. Thrums Up ! !

Comment provided July 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Sanoy writes:

Well nice tips but I already learned it after suspension of my account due to problem in Author name in bye line and resource box.
Reason is I write my company name in the resource box and they rejected to approve my article and as well as they suspend my account. Now once again they active my account and next time I will be very careful about this point.

Comment provided July 22, 2010 at 6:44 AM

Pheori Wiley writes:

@Tony B

You bring up an excellent point. I see a number of those inane articles of which you speak and it makes me shake my head just a bit. Personally, I’m of the opinion that giving the reader some helpful information does far more for business than simply writing a bunch of rubbish and slapping down a link or two for backlinking purposes.

Sure, the quality backlinks that are achieved are great. But, how much more are they worth if just a bit of extra effort can garner some qualified click-throughs to your site and business?

From a reader’s viewpoint I would be much more likely to click through to someone’s site if they offered me some valuable information and insight. As a writer, though, I can appreciate the difficulty in finding that needle-in-a-haystack piece of article information that has yet to be covered by someone else.

Comment provided July 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Peter Holland writes:

I just find it so hard to express just how valuable the information published by EzineArticles is. You get a constant stream of value add that is hard to find anywhere else.

Comment provided July 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM

Aris Tanone writes:

Hi Marc,

Where do Dr. John Doe put his Dr. in the form. If I remember it correctly, you only have First Name and Last Name boxes in the submission form.

Thanks,

Aris/

Comment provided August 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Aris,

First Name: Dr. John
Last Name: Doe

or

First Name: John
Last Name: Doe, PhD.

Aris Tanone writes:

Thanks, Penny. I still have trouble in finding the rule on whether there is a comma or not after “John Doe, Ph.D.” such as in the sentence:

Joe Doe, Ph.D. retired as engineer 10 years ago and now works full time as a writer.

What is the norm here?

Thanks.

Frankie Cooper writes:

Wow, now I understand the importance of matching the author name in the by line and the resource box. I’m diffidently trying to be my brand and now it will help build my credibility to.

Comment provided October 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Ali Kazmei writes:

I fully read this article also i follow this stragacy to submit my article I do not get any response yet. Should I have to be author member or Freely I can submit here.I sees so many tutorial regarding submitting content on ezines but not get any response to publish it.

Comment provided September 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Hi Ali –

I see that you submitted your article yesterday. It was successfully received and will be reviewed by our Editorial Team within the next few business days. You will receive an email once it’s been reviewed with the status of the article. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Ali Kazmei writes:

Hai Editor ,,
I was seriously confused, It takes time so that I decide to submit my article on go Article, Todays I wrote an awesome article now I won’t submit on any directory until I got publish..Thank you to ask I will submit my article on business days.